2nd Niger Bridge Ready for Commissioning – FG
By Mathew Dadiya, Abuja
The Federal Government has said that the construction of Second Niger Bridge is completed and now ready for commissioning before May 29, 2023.
The government also assured that the epileptic power supply witnessed in recent times in different parts of the country would soon be a thing of the past, saying that power generation and distribution will improve despite the rains that have come in now.
Speaking with State House correspondents on Wednesday after the weekly Federal Executive Council (FEC), meeting, presided over by President Muhammadu Buhari at the Presidential Villa, Abuja, the Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed said.
The minister explained that the contractor handling the Second Niger Bridge will be handed over on May 20.
Mohammed, who stood in for the Minister of Works and Housing, Babatunde Fashola, said that the Second Niger Bridge will be commissioned soon.
He said, “The Second Niger Bridge is ready for commissioning. The contractor will hand it over on 20th of this month, it will be commissioned soon after.”
Also briefing, the Minister of State for Power, Prince Jeddy Agba said, Council approved two memos for his ministry.
He said the first memo was the approval for the award of contract for the procurement of 25 numbers of 33 KV circuit breakers and 120 numbers of surge arrestors for systems use for Transition Company of Nigeria.
Prince Agba said the contract value is in the neighborhood of N140 million as argumentation for that.
According to him,“The contract has been awarded before they are ongoing, but we asked for approval for revaluation due to price escalation and additional works. We’re building new sub stations in one of the places.”
He said Council also approved the variation due to price escalation on the construction of the Dukanbo Shonga 132 KV double circuit transmission line.
Agba said: “Shonga is in Kwara State and that line has been down for several years. So with this procurement, we should be able to revemp the station and you know is an agro based area that’s the area which service the Bacita farm.
“The shunga farms limited and the whole of that area has been in darkness for a long time. With this procurement we hope that in two months, we should have full power supply to those areas and restore farming and processing activities in that area. The cost is N1.5 billion.”
Asked what is the reason behind the decline in power supply, he said, “You’ll agree with me that of late, we’ve had problems with gas supplies for generational companies. We just negotiated with the gas supply companies, NNPC limited to augment gas supplies to distributors at the going local rate.
“Gas was sold to them at export rate, whose price differs and they collection is made on domestic rates. So there was a differential and the argument, however, we had an agreement with the NNPCL and and natural gas company to supply gas to GENCOs commencing from last week, and they are buying at local price not at the export price.
“So, with that we hope in the very near future in a week or two should have improved generation and supply. Distribution is going to be done by DISCOs which is why we are doing everything possible for transmission company to have all the equipment necessary for effective transmission.
“We hope and I assure you that power generation and distribution as well as will improve despite the rains that have come in now..”
FEC which considered 30 memos, approved the concessioning of the Nnamdi Azikiwe international Airport, Abuja and the Mallam Aminu Kano international airport in Kano.
Minister of Aviation, Hadi Sirika, who briefed alongside his colleagues at the end of the marathon meeting, said the Abuja airport will be concessioned for 20 years while that of Kano will be concessioned for 30 years.
The aviation minister further said that the council also approved the ministry’s change of name from Federal Ministry of Aviation to Ministry of Aviation and Aerospace of Nigeria.
Sirika said Council also approved the draft National Civil Aviation policy which he said is geared towards the strengthening of the civil aviation.
Minister of State, Transportation Ademola Adegoroye said the council approved the Development of Ondo Multipurpose Port in Ilaje, Ondo State, Expansion and Development of Snake Island Sea Port, Lagos and the Expansion and Development of Burutu Sea Port, Delta State, through a Public Private Partnership agreement worth $4,713,841,477.
Adegoroye explained that the Ondo port will cost the private developers the sum of $1,480,465,253 and would be concessioned for a period of 50 years with the accruals to the concessionaire and the federal government expected to be $50 billion and $2.6billion, respectively.
He said the Burutu port will cost $1,285,005,818; concessioned for 40 years with the concessionaire and the federal government expected to reap $125billion $9 billion, respectively.
The Snake Island Port will gulp $974,185,203 and concessioned for 45 years with the concessionaire and the federal government receiving $18billion and $5.23billion respectively in accruals within the period.
Again, Tribunal Steps Down Obi’s Petition
For the third time, the Presidential Election Petition Court, PEPC, was forced to step down hearing in the petition filed by Mr Peter Gregory Obi and the Labour Party, LP, against the election of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu.
The petition was stepped down by the court following a poor schedule of documents being sought to be tendered to establish the allegations of malpractices during the February 25 presidential election.
At yesterday’s proceedings, the court discovered that the documents were not properly scheduled as ordered by the Court.
In the drama that ensued at the point of rendering the documents from the 23 local government areas of Benue, a lot of discrepancies were uncovered.
All efforts to reconcile the anomaly and reschedule the documents were unsuccessful as the errors were beyond immediate solution.
To save the situation, counsel to Obi and the Labour Party, Chief Emeka Okpoko SAN, sought to use documents not filed to conduct the proceedings, but the move was rejected on the ground of illegality.
In the end, the court stepped down hearing of the petition and ordered the legal team to go and re-file the schedule of documents in line with the provisions of the pre-hearing report.
The hearing of Obi’s petition had run into stormy waters three times, prompting the shift in the hearing of the petition.
At the time of this report, Peter Obi and the Vice Presidential candidate, Datti Baba Ahmed, were in the court as their lawyers were running helter-skelter to the Registry of the Court to file a new schedule of documents.
Meanwhile, the five Justices led by Justice Haruna Simon Tsammani hearing the petition have retired to their chambers to await when the legal team will put its house in order.
In Maiden Meeting, Crush Oil Thieves Now, Tinubu Orders Service Chiefs
By Mathew Dadiya, Abuja
President Bola Tinubu, yesterday met with the Service Chiefs and heads of security and intelligence agencies and told them that he would change the security architecture of the country to blend with his philosophy to address the insecurity challenges across the federation.
The President also said as far as he is concerned, ‘Nigeria should not go on her knees as a result of security challenges while other countries are working, moving forward and recording tremendous achievements.’
Tinubu stated this in his maiden official meeting with Security and intelligence heads led by the Chief of Defence Staff, General Lucky Irabor at the Presidential Villa, Abuja as the the National Security Adviser, NSA, Major Gen.Babagana Monguno (retd), who briefed State House correspondents after the meeting that lasted two hours, said the President has directed heads of security agencies to come out with their blue prints.
He ordered the security agencies to crush anyone involved in oil theft, stressing that his administration will not tolerate such menace.
“He is going to embark on a lot of reforms in terms of our security architecture, he is going to take a closer look at our misfortunes in the maritime domain, focusing particularly on the issues of oil theft, that as far as he is concerned, he is not going to tolerate oil theft wherever the problem is coming from it must be crushed as soon as possible,” he stated.
He has already mandated the security agencies to come up with a blueprint as far as he knows and as far as he concerned, he doesn’t have the luxury of time; and whatever changes will be made have to be done as soon as possible.
“The President also has decided that whatever ventures the armed forces are going to be engaged in, they must carry along those operatives in the theatre. They must be well fed, well kitted, motivated and given all that they require.
He said it was an appraisal meeting for the President to get briefing on the activities of the different security formations and for him to tell them his own philosophy and what he expects from the security heads.
“The President and Commander in Chief of the armed forces has just concluded a meeting of the general security appraisal committee consisting of the Chief of Staff, Service Chiefs, Inspector General of Police, and heads of the intelligence agencies.
“This is the very first meeting he’s had with the heads of the security agencies. The meeting lasted for two hours.
“Having been briefed by the participants of the meeting, Mr. President, addressed prevailing issues confronting the nation in terms of insecurity and also mentioned his own philosophy towards dealing with national security issues.
“First and foremost, he appreciated the armed forces and intelligence agencies and the wider paramilitary agencies for the work they have been doing in the past couple of years. Their sacrifice, their loyalty, and he also paid tribute to those who died in defending this country, from the great big menace of terrorism, insurgency banditry, oil theft, sea robbery, piracy, etc.
“The President has made it very clear that he’s determined to build on whatever gains that have been made and to reverse misfortunes and turn the tide in our favour.
“As far as he’s concerned, this country should not be on its knees struggling while other countries are working and achieving greater heights,” he said.
President Tinubu said in moving the country forward he needs the security agencies to redouble their efforts, stressing that his own philosophy is one of contemporary security measures dealing with the requirements of the time.
“He has made it very clear that he will not accept a situation in which our fortunes keep declining. And his own trajectory is that national security has to be coordinated, there has to be whatever…whether it is a basket system, but there must be a clearing house.
“All agencies must work to achieve one single purpose. Working at cross purposes and colliding with each other is not something that he will condone. He has made it very, very clear that all the security agencies must comply with the demands of coordination, with the demands of frequent consultations and also timely reports which must be acted on.
“President has said clearly that he will do whatever is within his powers to enable the operational elements but the intelligence agencies must also make their work easy for them by providing the type of intelligence that they require to carry out the assignment,” the NSA said.
President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has mandated his security chiefs to draw up a fresh blueprint that would guide security operations in the country.
Tinubu, who met with the security chiefs in the country for the first time since assuming office, yesterday, said he had a personal philosophy about how security issues should be handled for effective results.
Obi, LP Challenge Election Results in Rivers, Benue, Niger, 15 Other States
The Presidential candidate of the Labour Party (LP) in the February 25 presidential election, Mr Peter Gregory Obi and his party confirmed to the Presidential Election Petition Court (PEPC) yesterday in Abuja that they would challenge the election results in 18 states only.
They held that they would not dissipate energies in the states where they won convincingly and without any dispute.
However, at the end of proceedings, Obi and his party tendered certified electoral documents obtained from the Independent National Electoral Commission INEC in only six states.
The documents, mainly, Forms EC8A, election results from polling units were admitted as exhibits to be used to establish their alleged riggings and other malpractices during the election.
Presiding Justice of the Court, Haruna Simon Tsammani admitted the documents as exhibits after they were tendered by Chief Emeka Okpoko SAN who represented Obi and the Labour Party.
Meanwhile, INEC, represented by Kemi Pinhero SAN, issued the documents and certified them as genuine but dramatically announced its decision to object to the admission of the documents.
President Bola Ahmed Tinubu and his Vice, Kashim Shetima, who are 2nd and 3rd respondents and represented by Adebayo Adelodun SAN in the petition challenging their declaration as winners of the election, also hinted to oppose the admissibility of the electoral documents.
Similarly, the All Progressives Congress, APC, represented by Chief Afolabi Fashanu, SAN, argued that it would raise objections against the documents.
Breakdown of the tendered and admitted documents showed that Forms EC8A were tendered in 15 Local Government Areas of Rivers State, 23 in Benue, 18 in Cross River, 23 in Niger State, 20 in Osun and 16 in Ekiti Local Government Areas.
A further hearing in the petition has been shifted to June today by the Court at the instance of the two petitioners.
Read Our ePaper
FG Bans Underage Children from Participating in NCEE.
Share Post Views: 41 By Evelyn Terseer, Abuja The Federal Government has banned underage children from participating in the National...
Abuja’s UTC Complex Demolished for Urgent Upgrade, Security Measures – FCTA Explains
Share Post Views: 50 By Laide Akinboade, Abuja In a significant move to propel small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) forward...
I Fear My Menstruation Might Be Mistaken for Sexual Indulgence – CYPF Member
Share Post Views: 249 On this year’s Menstrual Hygiene Day, centered around the theme “Making menstruation a normal fact of...
Presidential Election Petition Court Adjourns Hearing of APM’s Petition Until June 9
Share Post Views: 180 The Presidential Election Petition Court on Friday in Abuja, adjourned hearing of the petition filed by...
Subsidy Removal: Tinubu Pledges Review of Minimum Wage
Share Post Views: 128 By Mathew Dadiya, Abuja President Bola Ahmed Tinubu Friday in Abuja said improved livelihood for Nigerians...
Gov. Diri laments Slow Pace of Work After Paying N16bn Mobilisation Fee to Contractor
Share Post Views: 187 Bayelsa’s Gov. Douye Diri on Friday at Nembe expressed dissatisfaction at the pace of work on...
Taraba: Bonzena Emerges 10th Assembly Speaker.
Share Post Views: 121 From Christiana Babayo, Jalingo Rt. Hon John Kizito Bonzena, member representing Zing Local Government Area, has...
Shettima Inaugurates N570m NASS Mosque
Share Post Views: 73 Vice-President Kashim Shettima on Friday, inaugurated the Jumu’at Mosque built by the Muslim faithfuls in the National...
PEPC Admits Exhibits of 6 States in Evidence Against Tinubu’s Election
Share Post Views: 79 The Presidential Election Petition Court (PEPC), has admitted in evidence, exhibits from the Labour Party and...
Anambra Gov’t Launches e-identification Cards for Civil, Public Servants
Share Post Views: 160 The Anambra Government on Friday unveiled its civil service Electronic Identification Card (e-Id card). Mrs Theodora...