By Gom Mirian, Abuja
The Armed Forces of Nigeria (AFN) has reversed its earlier announced figure of casualties in Gorgi attacks as the committee sent for reconfirmation of casualties and immediate medical evacuation has confirmed 29 dead as against previously reported figure of 47.
Coordinator, Directorate of Defence Media Operations(CDDMO), Major General John Enenche, made the clarification at a news conference on Friday, while updating newsmen on the recent attacks in Gorgi, Borno state as well as the Armed Forces preparedness in response to the fight against Coronavirus pandemic at the Defence Headquarters in Abuja.
In an earlier report by DAILY ASSET three days ago, the DHQ authorities from informations gotten from the frontline operation said that Terrorists used the information provided by their local collaborators to stage an ambush and shot at military logistics trucks conveying fuel and ammunitions that led to the death of 47 troops of the Nigerian military.
According to the Coordinator, who described the previous pronouncement as a common occurrence during combat operations due to the fog of war, said a team saddled with the responsibility to conduct the due operational after Action procedure found out that twenty – nine Nigerian troops were killed in action and thirty – nine were wounded in action during the attack.
“Following the encounter between Armed Forces of Nigeria and insurgents in Operation LAFIYA DOLE at Gorgi between March 21 and 23, 2020, a team was sent to carry out the due operational After Action Procedure, which include; reconfirmation of casualties and immediate medical evacuation required among others.
“After the exercise, the Team made the following findings; Twenty Nine (29) Nigerian Troops were killed in action and Thirty Nine (39) were wounded in action, as a result of the explosion of the truck carrying logistics and ammunition resupply for the fighting echelon.
” This is contrary to the figures from the first contact situation report of Forty Seven (47) killed in action and Fifteen (15) wounded in action.
” This is a common occurrence during combat operations due to the fog of war, encounters or conflicts, when first contact reports are released to higher quarters in contemporary times, in order to counter false reports and fake news by mischief makers” Enenche said.
He also added that the team found a casualty of over one hundred Boko Haram terrorists neutralized as a result of direct fire action and encounter with the gallant troops of the land component of the Armed Forces of Nigeria during the clearance of Gorgi.
He strongly stressed that there was no rivalry between the services as the successes recorded in the operations were combined efforts by all the forces.
Speaking on the Force readiness in the fight against COVID19, Major General Enenche said AFN has put measures in place to aid the civil authorities.
He said a committee was constituted at the Defence Headquarters to ensure that the AFN provided the necessary support to the Federal Government of Nigeria, at this period.
“It is mainly a non-kinetic military operation with major features of Civil Military Cooperation (CIMIC) activities.
“The Armed Forces of Nigeria has developed a Two-Pronged approach to fight the pandemic, namely; the medical and security approaches. The medical approach is the deployment of military personnel in aid of all Ministries Departments and Agencies of the Federal Government through the provision of land, maritime and air assets, for transportation of emergency cases and medical supplies, as was the case with the medical supplies donated by the Jack Ma Foundation.
“Furthermore, under the medical aid, we have 17 medical facilities spread across the Country, which have been designated for isolation and treatment of confirmed cases of the COVID-19. We have also concluded plans to recall our retired medical personnel to complement those in active service” He added.