Home / NEWS / Killing of 117 Nigerians in South Africa Unacceptable – Presidency 
Abike Dabiri-Erewa

Killing of 117 Nigerians in South Africa Unacceptable – Presidency 

 

By LAIDE AKINBOADE

 

The Presidency has said it would no longer tolerate the killing of its citizens in South Africa, with the number of deaths between 2016 and 2018 put at 117.

Senior Special Assistant to the President on Foreign Affairs and Diaspora, Abike Dabiri-Erewa who said the federal government was worried about the situation, said the latest killing of another Nigerian, Mr Ozumba Tochukwu-Lawrence, by an unknown gunman in South Africa, was unfortunate.

The Nigeria Mission in South Africa had earlier confirmed the killing of Mr Ozumba Tochukwu-Lawrence at 10 Koppe, Middleburg, Mpumalanga, South Africa, on July 6 by an unknown gunman.

The Nigeria Consulate General in South Africa said the deceased was shot six times by his assailant and died before reaching the hospital.

Dabiri-Erewa expressed disappointment over an early warning signal put in place by both Ministries which she said had still not been implemented.

She stated that no fewer than 117 Nigerians were extra-judicially killed in South Africa between 2016 and 2018 for one flimsy reason or the other.

She said that many more had followed since then.

It would be recalled that killing of Nigerians in South Africa had been on the increase in recent times.

Before the latest one, there was the assassination of ThankGod Okoro, who was reportedly shot dead in Hamburg, Florida West Rand, in Johannesburg on April 9, 2018 by the South African Police Flying Squad.

There was also the killing of Clement Nwaogu in April, a father of two who was burnt to death by his assailant.

These wanton killings of Nigerians in South Africa had sparked a number of protests there.

For demanding justice on behalf of their fallen compatriots, 14 of the protesters were taken into custody and branded drug peddlers.

Meanwhile, the Nigeria Mission in South Africa in a statement issued by the Consulate General of Nigeria in South Africa and signed by the Vice Consul, Information and Culture, David Abraham, said the Consulate General received with pain, the unfortunate news of the assassination of a Lawrence by a yet-to-be identified assailant.

“An eye witness account has it that an unknown man made a way into the compound of Mr Ozumba Tochukwu Lawrence and requested to see him.

“On being told about his guest, he came out to meet him, and the man opened fire on him and shot him six times, resulting in his death before he reached hospital.

“It is yet to be established the reason behind the sad incident. This is very unfortunate and condemnable,” he said.

He said that the Consulate commiserated with the deceased family and indeed, the entire Nigerian community in South Africa.

The Consulate, he said, also called on the South African relevant authorities to unravel the mystery behind this dastardly act.

 

 

 

 

 

About Editor_01

Check Also

IDPs Stone Gov Lalong’s Convoy

The convoy of Plateau State Governor Simon Lalong was attacked by displaced persons living at …

Just In: PDP Rejects Result of Ekiti Governorship Poll, Alleges Massive Rigging

The  Peoples Democratic Party(PDP) has rejected the result of  Saturday’s governorship poll in Ekiti as …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

%d bloggers like this: