Connect with us

Education

Nasarawa First Lady Donates COVID-19 Safety Equipments to 248 Schools

Published

on

Nasarawa state Governor Abdullahi Sule
Share

From Beauty John, Lafia

Nasarawa State First Lady, Hajiya Silifat Abdullahi Sule, has donated COVID-19 safety equipments worth millions of Naira to 248 government owned schools in the state as schools across the 13 local government areas in the state prepare to reopen.

This, Hajiya Silifat Sule said was her personal contribution to the fight against the novel Coronavirus.

The First lady, who is also the founder of Silifat Abdullahi Sule Hope Foundation (SAS), made the donation in Lafia, on Thursday..

Accompanied by commissioners, wives of commissioners and other prominent women in the state, she said that the gesture was part of her modest contribution to curtail further spread of COVID-19 pandemic in Nasarawa state.

Items donated by the Nasarawa State first lady include 3,800 gallons of liquid soap, 2,000 hand sanitizers and 800 basins for hand washing to be distributed to 248 secondary schools in the Northern and Southern Senatorial Districts of the state.

Addressing the principals of the various schools who were the representatives of the beneficiaries, she charged them to make the safety of the students paramount by ensuring that COVID-19 safety guidelines are strictly followed.

The Nasarawa First Lady explained that her pet project, Silifat Abdullahi Sule Hope Foundation, would continue to work closely with government to initiate programmes that would have positive impact on the lives of the people.

See also  Buhari Tasks Pro-chancellors on VC Appointments

The Nasarawa First Lady appreciated the people for their confidence and support for her husband’s administration, while calling on them to be law abiding and continue to be supportive to the government at all levels.

Earlier, the state commissioner for Education, Science and Technology, Hajiya Fatu Sabo, described the donation as the first of its kind in the state and called for support from private organizations considering the enormous needs in the education sector.

In his remark, the deputy governor of the state, Dr Emmanuel Akabe, who doubles as the chairman of the state Taskforce on COVID-19 thanked the First Lady for her thoughtful contribution.

Akabe, who was represented by the state commissioner for health, Pharm. Ahmed Baba Yahaya said the donation is timely, considering the reopening of schools all over the state.

Education

SUBEB: Oyo Govt Promotes 16,500 Primary School Teachers

Published

on

Share

The Oyo State Government has promoted 16,500 public primary school teachers that were successful in their recent promotion examinations. Dr Nureni Adeniran, the Chairman of the State Universal Basic Education Board (SUBEB), supervised the symbolic presentation to two teachers from each of the 33 local government areas of the state on Wednesdayin Ibadan.

The promotion covered 2017 to 2020  which made some of the teachers got two promotions.Adeniran charged the promoted teachers to double their efforts and put in their best “to ensure that teaching of pupils is taken with full seriousness and commitment.
“In such a manner that we see the impact on the learning outcome of the pupils they are teaching.“To whom much is given, much is desired; so we expect more commitment on the part of our teachers, we want them to be more punctual.“We want a situation whereby pupils turning out from public schools in the state will be able to compete with their colleagues in any part of the world.“In addition, we want the teachers to support Gov. Makinde’s administration to do what it has been voted into office to do in terms of bringing dividends of democracy to the people”.The Oyo SUBEB boss assured the teachers that government would pay the promotion arrears.“I want to believe that before arrangement for the promotion exercise was made, the governor had already factored the issue of arrears into the finances of the state,” he said.Adeniran also disclosed that the process for the recruitment of more primary school teachers was already on, saying it will come into limelight very soon.He recalled that the state government had completed the recruitment and enlistment of teachers into the public secondary schools sub-sector.He said the public primary schools sub-sector, which also has shortage of teachers, would eventually get approval from the governor to go ahead with the recruitment.In his welcome address, the Oyo SUBEB Executive Secretary, Mr Joel Olusanjo, charged the promoted teachers to reciprocate the gesture and redouble their efforts in carrying out their duties.“As you collect your promotion letters here today, go back to your respective schools and redouble your efforts in teaching activities,” he said.In their separate respinses, the state Chairman of the Nigerian Union of Teachers, Mr Adedoyin Adeniyi, and his counterpart at the Association of Primary School Heads, Mr Kunle Adedeji, appreciated Makinde for his concern towards the welfare of primary school teachers.The duo charged their colleagues to put in their best in enhancing the efforts of the state government in providing qualitative education to primary school pupils.A cross section of the promoted teachers also commended the administration of Makinde for being sensitive to their plight.Mr Ojo Arimiyau from Saki West LGA; Mrs Rachael Oladokun from Atisbo LGA; Mr Akeem Gbadamosi from Ona-Ara LGA, and Mrs Abiola Olajide from Afijio LGA pledged to be more committed to their work and perform optimally. (NAN)

See also  COVID-19 Cases Hit 200,000 Globally, death Toll Rises to 8,000 – WHO
Continue Reading

Education

Yobe Approves 65 Years Retirement Age for Teachers

Published

on

Share

Gov. Mai Mala Buni of Yobe has approved the revised retirement age for teachers from 60 to 65 years.

This is contained in a statement signed by the state’s Head of Service (HoS), Alhaji Muhammad Nura, in Damaturu on Tuesday.

Nura said the civil service years had also been reviewed from 35 to 40 years.

“This gesture is limited to education officers/teaching staff only, and it is with immediate effect,” Nura said.

The HoS, however, said the revised retirement age and years of service were not automatic as officers would be required to demonstrate fitness after medical examination.

“Those found to be unfit will be advised to retire accordingly,” he said.

See also  How I Survived COVID-19 — Onyema
Continue Reading

Education

Zamfara Flags-off Back-to-School Campaign

Published

on

The Zamfara State Governor, Gov. Bello Matawalle
Share

The Zamfara State government, in collaboration with Global Partnership for Education (GPE) and UNICEF, flagged off a Back-to-School and school safety campaign in Gusau yesterday.

The campaign brings to an end the closure of schools in the state because of insecurity and the outbreak of COVID-19.

The campaign flag-off was organised by the Ministry of Education in collaboration with the State Universal Basic Education Board (SUBEB) and UNICEF Nigeria.

GPE and UNICEF are supporting Gender Responsive and Inclusive Enrolment Drive for Back-to-School campaign and Safe School Re-opening in Maradun and Kaura-Namoda Local Government Areas of the state.

Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Education, Alhaji Kabiru Sani, flagged off the campaign on behalf of Gov. Bello Matawalle.

He said the closure of schools was one of the major setbacks to educational programmes in the state.

He said the outbreak of COVID-19 and insecurity disturbed the political, social, economic, religious and financial structures of the state.

“We are all aware of the negative effects that COVID-19 has caused to the education of our children in Zamfara.

“It is in the light of this that we are gathered here today to appreciate the GPE, the Federal Ministry of Education and UNICEF for bringing this laudable intervention to Zamfara.

See also  FG Constructs 37 “Smart Schools” to Boost ICT

“It is disturbing, however, that after the COVID-19 lockdown had ended and insecurity issues had abated, children were still not attending school,” Sani said.

UNICEF consultant, Dr Ahmad Hashim, described the flag-off as timely, adding that UNICEF had been supporting Zamfara over the years, especially in the area of girl child education.

“We have been providing financial and technical support to the state; we trained more than 10,000 teachers.

“Millions of naira had been spent by UNICEF as cash transfer to vulnerable children in the state aimed at reducing number of out-of-school children.

“Before our intervention, Zamfara had more than 500,000 out-of-school children, but with government’s efforts and support from partners such as UNICEF, the number has reduced to 300,000,” Hashim said.

He commended Gov. Matawalle for providing counterpart funding to UNICEF.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that various speakers at the event expressed the need for government and all stakeholders to initiate measures to ensure safe return of students to school in the state. (NAN)

Continue Reading

Translate

Email Subscription

Name *

Email *

Top Stories

Foreign News33 mins ago

Japan’s Ex-Justice Minister Accepts 3-Years Prison Term Over Vote Buying

Share Post Views: 5 A three-year prison term over vote buying for former Japanese Justice Minister, Katsuyuki Kawai, was finalised...

JUDICIARY54 mins ago

REOPENED – Court Fixes Nov. 10 to Hear Nnamdi Kanu’s Application, Challenging Competence of FG’s Charge

Share Post Views: 21 A Federal High Court, Abuja has fixed Nov. 10 for hearing the application of leader of...

Agriculture60 mins ago

Agribusiness: Kebbi Govt. Disburses N126.7m Grant to 8 Cooperatives

Share Post Views: 29 The Kebbi Government in collaboration with the United States African Development Foundation (USADF), have disbursed N126.7...

NEWS1 hour ago

NYSC Extends 10 Corps Members’ Service Year, Remobilises 2 in Plateau

Share Post Views: 28 The National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) in Plateau has extended the service year of 10 corps...

JUDICIARY1 hour ago

Alleged Gang-Rape: Absence of Witness Stalls Defence of Late Chief Lanre Razak’s Son

Share Post Views: 18 The absence of a defence witness on Tuesday stalled the defence of Segun Razak the son...

JUDICIARY1 hour ago

Tight Security in Federal High Court Ahead of Nnamdi Kanu’s Trial

Share Post Views: 36 There is tight security at the Federal High Court Abuja as the court sets to continue...

SPORTS2 hours ago

2022 Access Bank Lagos City Marathon Holds Feb. 12

Share Post Views: 22 By Orkula Shaagee, Abuja The Access Bank Lagos City Marathon will join other elite races across...

SPORTS3 hours ago

Kanu Steers Falcons to 2-0 Lead Over Black Queens

Share Post Views: 32 By Orkula Shaagee, Abuja Nigeria’s Super Falcons took a 2-0 lead over Ghana’s Black Queens in...

SPORTS3 hours ago

Everton Striker Calvert-Lewin Suffers Injury Setback

Share Post Views: 29 Everton striker Dominic Calvert-Lewin has suffered a setback in his recovery from a quadriceps injury and...

SPORTS3 hours ago

Benzema Absent as Sex Tape Blackmail Trial Begins

Share Post Views: 32 The trial of Real Madrid FC striker, Karim Benzema for attempted blackmail linked to a sex...

Copyright © 2021 Daily Asset Limited | Powered by ObajeSoft Inc