By LAIDE AKINBOADE
The killing of a Nigerian by a fellow Nigerian in South Africa has elicited angry comments from the Nigerian Embassy in the country.
In a strongly worded statement released in Abuja, the Consul-general of Nigeria in South Africa, Godwin Adama, expressed shock at the killing, adding that the news came as a shock to the embassy.
It was gathered that the 42-year-old Linus Chibuzor-Nwankwo was allegedly shot dead in the early hours of last Friday in Kempton Park, Johannesburg, South Africa, by another Nigerian, Lawrence Nwarienne, who operates a bar shop in South Africa.
It was further gathered that Mr Nwarienne shot the deceased right on his fore head, for reasons not very clear.
The envoy who confirmed the incident noted that both the Commissioner and the Consul-general are very concerned over the development.
He said: “We condemn this dastardly act and do not expect it from our nationals who are supposed to protect each other.
“This is a development that is becoming frightening and may make South African police authorities to blame other future killings on the same trend. We are taking it seriously.”
He said that the Mission was in touch with Nigerians and the police authorities.
According to him, this is to discourage future actions of that kind by any person irrespective of his nationality.
“We are monitoring the development and encouraging Nigerians to conduct themselves peacefully while we seek for justice.
“Mission has been in touch with Nigerians on the unfortunate development.
“Missions have already commenced discussions with Nigerian stakeholders to discourage this trend,” Adama said
He said that the situation had been calmed down to avoid reprisal attacks from other Nigerians, close relations and friends.
The case is being monitored by the Nigerian community in South Africa to ensure justice is done, to avoid future occurrences