Connect with us

COVER

Reign of Terror in Abuja: Phone Snatcher Chops off Teenager’s Fingers

Published

on

Share

By Ibraheem Hamza Muhammad

A suspected GSM handset snatcher chopped off two fingers of a teenager in Jiddu village, near Tudun Wada, Lugbe Abuja on Saturday night.

Uncle to the victim, Alhaji Suleman Afawu explained, “The victim, an 18-year-old Sale Ibrahim returned home after grazing cattle and went back to Jiddu village to collect two handsets he had given to a phone-charger around 8:00pm.

“He paid the charging fee and was coming back home when he was attacked by the armed robber who attacked him with a sharp machete.

“He docked using his hand in defence against the cutlass. But he lost two fingers and his forehead was slit open.

“He threw the handsets away and ran home crying for help. We rushed him to a private health facility, Yabisam Hospital in Federal Housing Authority, Lugbe.

“He has received drips and we are waiting for the blood samples to donate blood to him.”

Afawu said that they reported the case to the Police Outpost in Tudun Wada, Lugbe.

The vigilante in Jiddu arrested the suspect and took him to Nigerian Police Divisional Office, Lugbe.

Reign of terror on communities in Abuja has continued unabated.

On Sunday, kidnappers dumped four bodies out the 10 persons kidnapped in Kubwa/Dutse area of the territory at Ida, near Ushafa in Bwari Area Council.

Among the bodies were a secondary school student and daughter of Ekiti State-born Chief Legal Officer of the National University Commission (NUC), Folorunsho Ariyo and a 400 level student of the Ahmadu Bello University (ABU) Zaria, Nabeeeha Al-kadriyar.

Miss Ariyo was abducted along with her mother and three siblings recently while Nabeeeha Al-kadriyar was seized with her father and five of her female siblings last Tuesday in the same axis.

The kidnappers had demanded for the sum of N60 million ransom to release members of the Ariyo family who could only raise about N5 million.

The girl was buried on Sunday in Dutse Cemetery, Abuja while the other members of the family remain with their abductors.

It was learnt that the kidnappers who invaded Al-kadriyar’s residence at Zuma 1, near Bwari at about 9:00pm last Tuesday, also took away her father and her sisters and demanded the sum of N100 million ransom for their release but later dropped it to N60 million.

Last month, activities of bandits were constantly reported in Kuje, Kwali and Abaji Area Councils. Now they concentrate on Bwari.

On Thursday, they entered Kawu village in Bwari Area Council and abducted 23 persons.

Kawu, an FCT village which shares boundaries with Niger and Kaduna states had not been in the radar of the bandits in recent times since they began a regular assault on villages in Bwari and in Garam, a village in Niger State.

The gunmen numbering about 40 were said have divided themselves into groups to launch the multi-prong assault.

Deputy Leader of the Bwari Area Council Legislative arm, Abdulmumini Zakari said the gunmen arrived around the community the previous day from the Kuyeri Forest in Kaduna State.

Zakari explained, “They divided themselves into groups and some went into the palace of the district head, Alhaji Abdurrahman Danjuma Ali where they abducted his son, Lukman and his wife whom he married two weeks ago.

“Others attacked the compound of Alhaji Alhassan Sidi Kawu, the Marafa of Kawu and a former PDP Chairman of Kawu Ward. They abducted him along with his four children.”

According to him, the bandits also went into the compound of Sarkin Pawan Kawu, Gambo Pawa and abducted him alongside his two wives and some children.When contacted, Police Public Relations Officer, Nigeria Police Force, FCT Command, CSP Josephine Adeh said, “We are trying to curb insecurity and we wouldn’t relent.”

COVER

Tinubu Charges Qatari Investors to Report Bribe Demanding Officials

Published

on

Share

By David Torough

President Bola Tinubu yesterday in Doha, Qatar charged captains of industry in Qatar to report to him any government official who will demand a bribe or any form of inducement at any point in their business activities in Nigeria.

Speaking at the Nigeria-Qatar Business and Investment Forum in Doha yesterday Tinubu told Qatari investors that Africa’s largest economy is being reformed and upgraded.

He reassured the international business community that Nigeria is ready for serious business as his administration will deal decisively with any and all entrenched interests in the country who undermine investor confidence in the Nigerian economy, pledging to remove all bottlenecks standing in the way of profitable and legitimate enterprise.

The president said, “I am here to give you the assurance that reforms are going on; forget about whatever you heard in the past. Whatever is the obstacle or problem that some of you might have experienced; it is in the past, because there is no obstacle in the future.

“Do not offer a bribe to any of our people, and if it is requested or taken from you, report to us. You will have access to me. Nigeria will no longer be defined by the past, but by what we do now and moving forward. Do not let perceptions become a hindrance to your will to invest. Nigeria is serious about revolutionizing investment promotion.

“We are removing obstacles today and we are going to continue to remove all obstacles. We have done so much within nine months. And I assure you, it is free entry and free exit. Your funds will flow smoothly into and out of our country. Bring your investments.”

Tinubu noted that the war against corruption and insecurity in Nigeria had been significantly strengthened with the appointment of the former Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu, as National Security Adviser (NSA).

“We have a man who has won many global awards for anti-corruption as an anti-corruption czar.

“My responsibility is to tell you that Nigeria is open for business and to assure you that your investments are safe in our hands. We have men and women of great reputation here. And we believe we can forge a good committee that will advance our discussions to fruitful conclusions.

“A nation is an artificial entity unless there are good people to drive it. People build great nations and we have great people. We are ready,” the President affirmed.

Tinubu noted that Nigeria possesses vast opportunities in various fields, telling his host: “We have oil and gas; we have solid minerals. I do not see why we cannot become prolific partners in exploring iron ore, as well as steel production, and energy across the board.

“I am here to give you assurances in all spheres: tourism, hospitality, healthcare, and many other opportunities that abound around us. Do not be the investors who miss out on the golden opportunity we present,” the President added.

Welcoming the Nigerian delegation in the presence of Qatari captains of industry, Sheikh Mohammed bin Hamad bin Qassim Al Abdullah Al Thani, Qatar’s Minister of Commerce and Industry, said his country looks forward to exploring opportunities in Nigeria, owing to its population demography and market, as it seeks to prioritize new investments in low carbon initiatives, mineral products, petroleum chemicals, industry, and consumables.

“We look forward to working with our Nigerian counterparts to achieve our joint objectives in these sectors,” the Minister said.

The President of the Nigeria-Qatar Business and Investment Forum were: Borno State Governor, Professor Babagana Umara Zulum; Kaduna State Governor, Senator Uba Sani; Lagos State Governor, Mr Babajide Sanwo-Olu; National Security Adviser (NSA), Ribadu; Coordinating Minister of the Economy and Minister of Finance, Mr. Wale Edun; Minister of Solid Minerals Development, Dr Dele Alake; Coordinating Minister of Health and Social Welfare, Professor Muhammad Ali Pate; Minister of Marine and Blue Economy, Mr. Adegboyega Oyetola; Minister of Trade, Industry and Investment, Dr Doris Uzoka-Anite; Minister of Youth, Dr Jamila Bio Ibrahim; and the Minister of State for Petroleum Resources (Gas), Mr. Ekperipe Ekpo.

Others at the meeting were Special Adviser on Energy, Mrs. Olu Verheijen; and the President of the Nigerian Association of Chambers of Commerce and Industry, Mines, and Agriculture (NACCIMA), Mr. Dele Kelvin Oye.

Continue Reading

COVER

Mob Beat Two Policemen to Death after Road Crash

Published

on

Share

By Our Reporter

Two policemen on escort duty were yesterday beaten to death, two others injured following a mob action at Ikpeshi in Akoko-Edo Local Government Area of Edo State.

This happened after a Toyota Hilux vehicle belonging to the escort duty policemen in the convoy of former Edo House of Assembly member Emmanuel Agbaje hit a motorcycle, resulting in the death of the rider, a woman and her child.

Ikpeshi youths, according to sources, besieged the office of Edo State Security Vigilante Network, where the two policemen were taken, overpowered them and beat the policemen to death.

Two other policemen were rescued by the vigilante members.

The rescued police were taken hospital.

The four policemen were from Police Mobile Force (PMF) 19, Port Harcourt in Rivers State.

The chairman of Akoko-Edo local council, Tajudeen Alade who condemned the activities of Ikpeshi youths declared that the persons involved would be identified, arrested and prosecuted to serve as a deterrent to others.

Edo Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), Chidi Nwabuzor, confirmed the incident.

He said investigation into the incident was ongoing after which the command would release more details to the public.

Continue Reading

COVER

NDIC Reimburses Depositors of 183 Rested Microfinance, Mortgage Banks

Published

on

Share

By Tony Obiechina, Abuja

Nigeria Deposit Insurance Corporation (NDIC) has reimbursed depositors of 179 rested microfinance and four mortgage banks across the country.

The Managing Director of the corporation, Dr Bello Hassan disclosed this at the NDIC Special Day during the just-concluded 45th Kaduna International Trade Fair.

Hassan, who was represented by the NDIC’s Deputy Director of Communication, Hauwa Gambo reiterated that the corporation’s priority was the protection of depositors’ funds of licensed banks in distress.

According to Hassan, in carrying out its statutory functions, the corporation has introduced the Single Customer View framework to expedite payment to depositors of liquidated banks.

He added that the NDIC has enhanced its collaboration with the judiciary for speedy prosecution of failed insured banks which has resulted in resolving long-drawn cases of closed banks such as Fortune and Triumph Banks liquidation.

According to the NDIC boss, the efforts have significantly improved the debt recovery rate, which enabled the corporation to declare 100 per cent liquidation dividends to uninsured depositors of more than 20 deposit money banks.

He said, “Our priority at NDIC is the protection of Nigerian depositors. We are dedicated to safeguarding depositors’ funds from the adverse effects of bank failure. The corporation has introduced the Single Customer View framework to expedite payment to depositors of closed banks.

“The corporation has enhanced collaboration with the judiciary for speedy prosecution of failed insured institutions. This concerted effort has resulted in resolving long-drawn cases of closed banks such as Fortune and Triumph Banks in liquidation.

“Moreover, we have utilised alternative dispute resolution mechanisms and out-of-court settlements, revitalising our liquidation activities. These efforts have significantly improved our debt recovery rate, enabling us to declare 100 per cent liquidation dividends to uninsured depositors of more than 20 deposit money banks in liquidation.”

Hassan also said that NDIC deployed digital remote payment strategies to facilitate electronic funds transfers to verified depositors’ alternate bank accounts.

To address the apathy among depositors with small balances, he said the NDIC launched the ‘Deposit Tracer’ in partnership with mobile operators, which allows depositors to access their unpaid balances through mobile accounts.

He urged depositors of banks in liquidation to utilise the various initiatives by the corporation to claim their funds trapped in closed banks.

Continue Reading

Read Our ePaper

Top Stories

NEWS50 mins ago

Benue PDP to gov: Account for the N44b grants

ShareFrom Attah Ede Makurdi The main opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Benue State, on Monday, asked Governor Hyacinth Alia...

NEWS1 hour ago

Armed herders attacks soldiers, kill one, injured another in Benue

ShareFrom Attah Ede, Makurdi Troops of Operations Whirl Stroke (OPWS), operating in Benue, Nasarawa and Taraba States, were reportedly attacked...

NEWS3 hours ago

Borehole Drillers Seek Expatriate Levy Review

ShareThe Borehole Drillers’ Association of Nigeria (BODAN), has urged the Nigerian Government to reconsider its decision on the Expatriate Employment...

Foreign News3 hours ago

Cambodia Arrests 2 Foreigners for Smuggling 2.27 kg Narcotics

Share Cambodian customs police at the Phnom Penh International Airport said they have arrested two South Korean nationals for an...

NEWS3 hours ago

Police Raid Criminal Hideouts, Arrest 18 Street Urchins In Kano

Share The Police Command in Kano State has arrested 18 street urchins for allegedly conspiring to attack innocent members of...

JUDICIARY4 hours ago

Forex: Court Strikes out Charge Against 19 BDC Operators

ShareJustice Lewis Allagoa of a Federal High Court in Lagos, on Monday, struck out the charge against 19 Bureau De...

NEWS4 hours ago

Don’t pay to Repair Faulty Transformers- Jos DisCo Tells Customers

ShareThe Jos Electricity Distribution Company (JED) has advised its customers in Gombe State not to pay anyone to repair faulty...

NEWS4 hours ago

12  Dead, 28 Injured in Zaria-Kano  Expressway Auto-crash -FRSC

Share  Mr Kabir Nadabo, Federal Road Safety Corps(FRSC), Kaduna State Sector Commander says no fewer than 12 persons died and...

Uncategorized4 hours ago

Alleged N4bn Fraud: Court Hears Obiano’s Motion Challenging Jurisdiction March 7

Share The Federal High Court, Abuja has fixed March 7 to hear a motion filed by former Anambra Governor, Willie...

Education7 hours ago

94 Sacked Enugu College Lecturers Appeal to Gov. Mbah for Reinstatement 

Share The 94 sacked lectures of Enugu State College of Education, Technical (ESCET), have appealed to Gov. Peter Mbah for...

Copyright © 2021 Daily Asset Limited | Powered by ObajeSoft Inc