An Ikeja Sexual Offences and Domestic Violence Court on Wednesday admitted the Medical Director of Optimal Cancer Care Foundation, Dr Femi Olaleye, charged with alleged defilement of his 16 year-old wife’s niece to bail in the sum of N50million.
Newsmen report that Justice Ramon Oshodi admitted the defendant to bail with two sureties in like, following the adoption of bail application by defense and counter affidavits by prosecution.
Ramon ruled that the sureties must have landed properties in Lagos and the original documents of the properties must be submitted to the chief registrar of the court.
He also said that the defendant must submit his British, Nigerian and other international passports in his possession to the chief registrar of the court.
The judge further ordered the court audile to verify the residential addresses of the sureties.
Ramon, however, ruled that the defendant be remanded in Ikoyi Correctional Centre pendingwhen he meets the conditions of the bail.
The judge adjourned the case until Dec. 19 for commencement of trial.
The defence lead counsel, Mr Babatunde Ogala, SAN, while moving his bail application dated dated Nov. 24 and filed on 25, prayed the court to grant the defendant bail on liberal term.
Ogala argued that the defendant had had cancer patients who looked up to him for his service and would not be productive if remanded in prison.
He also urged the court to use its discretion to grant the defendant bail adding that he appeared voluntarily in court after he had been served.
”I wish to say they the defendant, not withstanding, is presumed innocent until proven otherwise. I wish to infer to a similar case of Olarewaju Jame. The charged were the same and the circumstances were the same.
“Even in the case of Nnamdi Kalu, who was charged with treason, the court still used its discretion and granted him bail
“The defendant has reliable sureties who are his professional colleagues, willing and ready to put their profession on the line to stand ad sureties for him.
“He has a leading cancer NGO and he has patients who look up to him.
“In view of this my lord, we urge this honourable court to grant the defendant bail on liberal term,”
The prosecution team, led by the Director of the Public Prosecution (DPP,) Dr. Babajide Martins, in his counter affidavit dated Nov. 28, argued that the nature of the charge was serious enough because it attracted life imprisonment.
Martins argued that the complainant was the first wife of the defendant while the nominal complainant was the niece of the wife.
“My lord, what the prosecution is concerned about is the defendant has capability to travel at very short notice. We urge the court to have the defendant submit his Nigerian passport and British Passport well in the interest of Justice.
“More importantly my lord, there is need for defence to present exceptional circumstances for the court to grant the defendant bail.
“If my lord is kind enough to grant him bail, we urge the court to be mindful that the defendant is not at flight risk and does not interfere with the prosecution witnesses.
“He should also make himself available for trial,” the prosecutor said.
Newsmen report that Oleleye is charged with a two-count charge of defilement and sexual assault by penetration.
He, however, pleaded not guilty to the charge.
Th prosecution submitted that the the defendant allegedly defiled the survivor by having unlawful sexual intercourse with her.
The defendant was alleged to have committed the offence between February 2020 and November 2021 on Layi Ogunbambi Close, Maryland, Lagos.
It was alleged that the defendant sexually assaulted the survivor by penetrating her mouth with his penis.
According to the prosecution, the alleged offence contravened Sections 137 and 261 of the Criminal Laws of Lagos State, 2015. (NAN)
Mbaise Fed Constituency: Supreme Court Dismisses APC’s Suit Against PDP
The Supreme Court on Friday dismissed an appeal instituted by the All Progressives Congress (APC) against the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) on Ahiazu Mbaise Ezinihitte Federal Constituency of Imo.
The Apex Court threw out the appeal on the ground that APC has no legal right to dabble into the candidate selection of PDP.
In a judgment delivered by Justice Emmanuel Agim, the Court held that APC acted like a busy body and meddlesome interloper in the ways and manners it got involved in the PDP matters.
A chieftain of the APC in Imo State, Mr Nnamdi Igbokwe had instituted the suit against the nomination of Mr Emeka Martins Chinedu as PDP’S candidate for Ahiazu Mbaise Ezinihitte Federal Constituency.
He had prayed for an order of the court against INEC not to accept or list Chinedu as lawfully nominated candidate.
The grouse of the APC was that PDP’s candidate was returned unopposed in a primary election for the House of Representatives ticket for the February 25, 2023 National Assembly election.
The APC claimed that the unopposed system that produced Chinedu during PDP’S primary election was not known to law and should not be accepted by the electoral body.
APC had lost the suit at the Federal High Court as well as the Court of Appeal before it proceeded to Supreme Court to ventilate its anger on how PDP produced the candidate.
But the Supreme Court in its judgment held that the appellants, (APC and Igbokwe) have no business in challenging the candidate selection process of the PDP.
Justice Agim while dismissing the appeal held that the case of APC was without merit and asked parties to bear their respective cost of litigation. (NAN)
Edo Governorship Primary: Supreme Court Declares Obaseki’s Faction Authentic Candidates
The Supreme Court declared the candidates who emerged from the primaries conducted by the Gov Godwin Obaseki-led faction of the PDP in Edo as the authentic representatives of the party.
This judgment delivered by Justice Centus Nweze brings to an end the long-drawn legal battle to decide which of the two factions is in control of the state chapter of the party.
Delivering the judgment in the appeal filed by Omoregie Ogbeide-Ihama and others against Mr Mathew Iduoriyekemwen and others, the apex court held that the case of the appellant was faulty as it did not emanate from the judgment of the appellate court.
The court in its judgment dismissed the appeal on the grounds that it was incompetent.
The judgment set aside the judgment of the Appeal Court which was in favour of candidates belonging to the Legacy Group of the PDP in Edo State led by the National Vice Chairman of the party, Chief Dan Orbih.
The judge held that an appeal must be based on issues contended at the lower court to qualify for review.
“Any ground of appeal that does not challenge issues raised at the lower court is incompetent. I enter judgment in favour of the respondents “, the apex court held.
The judgment which arose from a consolidation of all cases relating to the leadership tussle has put to rest anxiety as to the right persons to represent the party in the elections.
The battle for control of the PDP apparatus in Edo state between Obaseki and Orbih took a different dimension when the two groups presented two different lists of aspirants to INEC following parallel primaries conducted by the two factions.
The crux of the matter is who has the power the primary election for the selection of party flag bearers for the National Assembly and State House of Assembly elections slated for February 25 and March 11, this year.
Wednesday’s unanimous decision by the supreme court, therefore, means the candidates who emerged from the ward up to the national primaries conducted by the Obaseki faction of the Edo PDP will be fielded for elective positions.
Both Obaseki and a National Vice Chairman of the PDP, Chief Dan Orhbi have been locked in a leadership battle for the soul of the party in Edo State.
A Federal High Court in Abuja had in May last year recognized orbih’s faction as the authentic candidates, another in Benin City, gave recognition to Obaseki’s faction.
Both also appealed the judgment of the trial court entered against them at the Court of Appeal.
Speaking with newsmen shortly after the judgment was delivered, Philip Shaibu, the deputy governor of the state who was in court to witness the proceedings expressed joy that the matter has been finally put to rest.
He called on all PDP members to close ranks to deliver for the party in all the elections, stating that there was no winner or loser as the victory was for the PDP.
Shuaibu urged aggrieved parties to embrace peace said that the umbrella is now widen to accommodate all.
Newsmen report that a Federal High Court in Benin-city, Edo had ordered INEC to recognise and publish the names of candidates produced by Obaseki’s faction as PDP’s candidates in the 2023 elections.
Justice Inyang Ekwo of the Federal High Court in Abuja, in a related suit ordered INEC to recognise the candidates of Chief Dan Orbih faction as authentic candidates of the PDP for the forthcoming elections.
The parties in their various suits had asked the court for an order compelling INEC, to publish their names as the validly elected candidates of the Edo State PDP for the 2023 general election.
In his judgment, Justice S. M. Shuaibu of the Federal High Court, Benin relying on past decisions by the Supreme Court and Court of Appeal, held that only the National Working Committee (NWC) of a political party has the power to conduct party primaries.
“There is nothing before the court to show that the primaries in which the fourth to 39th defendants participated was conducted by the National Working Committee of the PDP. Rather, their primaries were conducted by the Edo State chapter of the PDP,” the judge held.
The Judge further held: “In my view, the power of INEC under Section 84 of the Electoral Act is limited to monitoring of party primary elections and does not extend to preparing or declaring the results of that election. This remains the law.
“In light of the foregoing, the fourth defendant, INEC, cannot rely on results prepared by the first defendant, Edo State PDP.”
Dissatisfied, the Orbih’s faction appealed the judgment up to the Supreme Court, where judgment was today entered against them. (NAN)
How Minor Suffered from Rectal Bleeding after Defilement – Paediatrician tells Court
A paediatrician, Dennis Shettima, on Tuesday, told an FCT High Court, Kubwa that a 12-year-old boy suffered rectal bleeding after defilement.
The National Agency for Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons and Other Related Matters (NAPTIP) charged the defendant, a 41-year-old man, Abubakar Danraka with defilement.
He pleaded not guilty.
The witness, a consultant with National Hospital Abuja made this known while being led in evidence by the Prosecution Counsel, Chidiebere Ugochukwu.
” The boy’s parents rushed him to the emergency children’s ward of the hospital on account that he was sexually abused by the defendant, who was their neighbour at Spring Valley Estate, Airport Road, Abuja on March 21, 2020.
” The mother of the minor said that the boy got home late on the said date and she was upset and flogged him.
” She said her son revealed to her that the defendant lured him into his house and gave him water to drink and then he slept off.
” She said the defendant defiled her son, ” he said.
” Upon examination, I discovered that the minor suffered rectal bleeding.
” So we suspected a sexual assault and collected blood samples to check for sexually transmitted infections and hepatitis,” Shettima said.
He said the child was placed on antibiotics and the social welfare, psychiatric unit and hospital management through our head of department were notified.
He added that the boy was placed on medication incase he had been exposed to infections and the paediatric surgical unit was invited to look further up in the anus.
“The surgical unit said that there was no further injury above the anus and days later, the results for the boy’s screening for infections came out negative.
” The child still continued his medication for three months in other not to risk anything and he was discharged after five days and was an outpatient for follow up, but discharged finally from paediatric clinic after repeat of STDs came out normal three months after, ” he said.
The defence counsel, Eddie Inegedu asked the witness if his examinations were linked to the defendant and if the history was narrated to him by the parents of the boy.
In response he said, apart from the history narrated to him by the child’s parents, there was nothing directly linked to the defendant in his findings.
Justice Asmau Akanbi-Yusuf however, adjourned the matter until Feb.22 for defence.(NAN)
Read Our ePaper
Men Can Also Suffer Breast Cancer – BRECAN
Share Post Views: 14 By Prosper Okoye, Abuja The Founder of the Breast Cancer Association of Nigeria (BRECAN), Chief Betty...
Friendly: Flying Eagles Overpower Zambia’s Junior Chipolopolo in 6-goal Thriller
Share Post Views: 18 Nigeria’s under-20 national football team, the Flying Eagles, on Friday in Abuja overpowered their Zambian counterparts,...
UN Deputy Chief, Amina Mohammed Concludes 3-day Trip to Rome
Share Post Views: 16 UN Deputy Secretary-General, Ms Amina Mohammed, on Friday concluded her 3-day trip to Rome where she...
NANTA Records $500m Revenue Loss in 2022
Share Post Views: 18 The National Association of Nigeria Travel Agencies (NANTA) on Friday said it recorded a loss of...
Progressives Govs Meet Buhari Seek Another Extension for Naira Swap
Share Post Views: 15 By Mathew Dadiya, Abuja President Muhammadu Buhari has met with the Progressives Governors Forum of the...
Akeredolu Swears-in Chief Judge, 4 other Judges
Share Post Views: 18 Ondo State Governor, Rotimi Akeredolu, on Friday swore in Justice Olusegun Odusola as the 12th Chief...
Police Uncover Plans By Hoodlums to Attack Banks, others in Oyo State
Share Post Views: 14 The Police Command in Oyo State, says it has uncovered plans by hoodlums to attack and...
World Cancer Day: Closing the Care Gap in Nigeria
Share Post Views: 19 By Folasade Akpan Cancer, one of the deadliest diseases in the world, does not respect race,...
Police Rescue Remining 4 Abducted Pupils in Nasarawa State
Share Post Views: 14 The Police Command in Nasarawa State has confirmed the rescue of the remaining four abducted pupils...
NPA Expects Ship Carrying Petrol at Lagos Ports
Share Post Views: 15 The Nigerian Ports Authority (NPA) on Friday said that out of the 22 ships expected to...