The last batch of Nigerian football fans stranded in Moscow are expected to return soon.
This assurance was given by the Federal government in a statement on Monday.
According to the statement, all arrangements had been completed for their evacuation from Moscow in Russia.
First Secretary, Desmond Nwosu, urged all the remaining stranded fans to report at the Embassy for registration while the mission awaits flight information.
The statement reads: “In line with President Muhammadu Buhari’s directive to bring all stranded Nigerian fans who visited Russia for the 2018 FIFA World Cup back home, the government of Nigeria will carry out the last evacuation soon.
”Consequently, the embassy of Nigeria in Moscow is requesting all Nigerians with fan ID and Nigerian passport to report to the embassy on Monday July 30th for registration.”
It would be recalled that the Ministry of Foreign Affairs had confirmed that 75 out of the 230 stranded Nigerian Football fans absconded in Russia after the 2018 FIFA World Cup.
The ministry’s Spokesperson, Dr Tope Elias-Fatile, said the fans absconded in spite of government’s efforts to repatriate them.
He said that 230 stranded Nigerian football fans were profiled to board Ethiopian Airline to Abuja but at the last minute, only 155 boarded the flight that arrived Abuja on July 22.
According to him, though they had the right not to come back, it would be better for them to return because of the unfavourable weather in that country.
Elias-Fatile said that if, however, they repent and decide to come back, the ministry was ever ready to assist them.
He assured that the Federal Government was ever willing to assist Nigerians at anytime, anywhere in the world.