Sunday, September 27, 2020
Home > SPORTS > Total Invests N150million to Grassroots Basketball Development

Total Invests N150million to Grassroots Basketball Development

By Orkula Shaagee, Abuja

The Nigeria Basketball Federation has signed a 5-year deal with Total E&P Nigeria worth N150million, for the sponsorship of the Men’s Divisions One and Two leagues.

The NBBF and Total partnership, which will run between 2020 and 2025 will see Divisions One and Two receiving N15m each annually to organize and run the leagues.

Speaking at the event held September 15, 2020 in Lagos, which had the Minister of Youth and Sports, Sunday Dare in attendance, NBBF President, Engr Musa Kida said the sponsorship by Total E&P which is the first ever partnership with the lower levels of basketball has opened a new vista in the corporate sponsorship of sports in Nigeria.

“Being satisfied with the concept and organization of the leagues in the past two years, we are very elated that Total E&P Nigeria Limited has now committed to extend their sponsorship arrangement with the NBBF for both competitions under the same framework for another 5 years (2020-2025)”

Commenting further, Kida thanked the Company for the confidence reposed in the NBBF by extending the sponsorship of the Divisions One and Two leagues for another five years as it underscores the commitment of Total E&P to develop Nigerian youths in all facets of life through their Corporate Responsibility objectives.

The NBBF President revealed that apart from the latest sponsorship, “Total E&P has also uplifted the NBBF in many spheres since this present board was inaugurated in 2017. For example, in addition to financial and related support to the NBBF, Total was the first corporate body to receive the men and women after their 2017 Afrobasket heroics.

“It is also on record that Total contributed to D’Tigers becoming the first country in the world to qualify for the 2019 FIBA World Cup in China after which Nigeria hosted two windows during the qualifiers”.

He promised the federation’s commitment to play its part in enhancing the success of the mutual beneficial partnership.

Aubameyang Signs New Arsenal Deal

Arsenal have confirmed striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang will remain at the club until 2023 after he signed a new deal. Aubameyang, who had been linked with Barcelona and Inter Milan, scored in Arsenal’s opening day win over Fulham in the Premier League.

“I want to become an Arsenal legend – to leave a legacy…for sure I will give my best, as always.”

The Gabonese striker appeared set to depart the Emirates this summer, with Barcelona and Inter Milan touted as potential destinations, but that speculation was quashed on Tuesday as he committed to Mikel Arteta’s project.

Aubameyang scored in Arsenal’s 3-0 win at Fulham in their Premier League opener on Saturday, while he also netted twice in the FA Cup final win over Chelsea.

The 31-year-old has been Arsenal’s talisman and top scorer in each of the past two seasons but only had one year left on his old contract.

In a statement via the club website, first-team manager Mikel Arteta said: “It was important for Pierre-Emerick to stay with us. He’s a superb player with an incredible mentality. Being the player to have taken the least amount of time to reach 50 goals with this club tells you everything you need to know about him and his way of working.

Technical director Edu said: “It’s clear Auba loves the club and everything we stand for on and off the pitch. He’s obviously a very important part of the team so we’re all delighted he has committed his future to us. It’s a big boost for everyone – fans, team-mates and staff.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

%d bloggers like this: