Connect with us

POLITICS

2023: APGA Cuts Nomination Fees for Women, Youth by 50%

Published

on

Share

The All Progressives Grand Alliance Party, (APGA), says its nomination fees has been cut for women and youths by 50 per cent, to enable them to contest in any position, come 2023 general elections.

The Ebonyi Chairman of APGA, Mr Ricky Okorouka, said this in Uburu, Ohaozara Local Government Area on Wednesday during the party’s meeting with the ward chairmen in the area.

Okorouka said the meeting was to welcome new members who had decamped from other political parties.

He said that so far, the party had received over 90, 000 new members, and reiterated the party’s readiness to take over power from the ruling party in the state.

Among those received was a female aspirant for Ebonyi State House of Assembly, Mrs Amaka Engene, founder of a Non-Governmental Organisation (NGO), “Amaka’s Foundation.

Engene donated four motorcycles and some cash to APGA’s ward chairmen in the area.

On nomination fees reduction for women and youths, the chairman said that the cut was also in favour of persons with disabilities.

“Yes, our party is gender sensitive. We have already given 50 per cent discount of our nomination form and expression of interest for women, youth as well as people with disability.

“The reduction is made from the national and this is the way we encourage women and we have been receiving new members from the 171 wards of Ebonyi’’,  he added.

In her remark, Engene said her move to join politics was to liberate women of the grassroots in the area.

“Yes, I donated the motorcycles to encourage members of the party, the ward chairmen, especially during the campaign. I have promised to give out 12 more motorcycles to youth leaders, women and Secretaries.

“They are to use the motorcycles to preach the gospel of peace and to reconnect people to the most progressive party (APGA) around the Eastern part of the country,” she stated.

Engene decried the way women had lost interest in politics and urged them to be courageous.

“I urge the women out there to be courageous; they should stop seeing politics as game of men. We can do it and do it much better in politics,” she advised.

Earlier, Mr Ene-Odii Ogbonna, APGA’s Youth Leader in Ebonyi, commended all the newly received members and noted that the party was on the move to take over government house come 2023.

Ogbonna tasked the youth on peaceful campaigns and reiterated the party’s readiness to support candidates with capacity without selfishness interest. (NAN)

POLITICS

Ighodalo to Appeal Edo Tribunal’s Verdict

Published

on

Share

Mr Asue Ighodalo, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) candidate in the 19 September governorship election in Edo, has said he will challenge the tribunal’s judgment at the Court of Appeal. The Edo election tribunal, sitting in Abuja on Wednesday, reaffirmed Gov. Monday Okpebholo’s victory and dismissed the petitions from the PDP and Ighodalo.

Ighodalo, in a statement in Benin, said his decision to challenge the judgment aimed to protect Edo people’s collective rights and ensure they freely determine their future.
“Today, the Edo Governorship Election Petition Tribunal delivered its judgment on our petition challenging the outcome of the Sept. 21, 2024 election in our dear state. “While we may not all agree with the verdict, we remain steadfast in our belief that the rule of law must continue as democracy’s foundational bedrock.
“Our pursuit of justice affirms our firm belief that Edo people’s right to freely choose their leaders through credible, free, and fair elections must always prevail. “As a committed democrat, I respect the judiciary as the last hope of the common man and urge all Edo people to remain peaceful, calm, and law-abiding,” he stated. Ighodalo said this was not the end of their journey but the beginning of a greater struggle for justice, democracy, and the sanctity of the people’s mandate. He commended the people for their massive support, sincere love, and belief in their shared vision for a prosperous Edo, which had fuelled their journey. “For us, this has never been about personal ambition but about our conviction to create a clear ‘Pathway to Prosperity’ for Edo while upholding democracy’s core values. “I have, therefore, instructed my legal team to proceed to the Court of Appeal to challenge this decision, which we consider a serious miscarriage of justice. “This is not about me or any single individual; it is about democracy’s essence, our collective right to determine our future, and our legacy for generations unborn. “We remain resolute. We remain committed. We shall not waver in our pursuit of truth and justice,” Ighodalo said. (NAN)

Continue Reading

POLITICS

Atiku’s Latest Claims Baseless, Distracting – Presidency

Published

on

Share

The presidency says its attention has been drawn to unfounded allegations by former Vice President, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, claiming to be the subject of an EFCC investigation regarding unsubstantiated financial dealings involving Lagos State.

“These claims, circulated through his media office, are false and reflect a troubling pattern of relying on social media gossip over substance,” Mr Bayo Onanuga, Special Adviser to the President, Information and Strategy, said in a statement on Friday.

“It is disheartening that a politician of Atiku’s stature would lend credibility to baseless social media speculation to remain politically relevant,” Onanuga added.

He said President Bola Tinubu remained focused on addressing critical national challenges and advancing his administration’s agenda for Nigeria’s growth and stability.

The presidential aide said the president had neither the time nor the inclination to engage in petty political distractions.

“Atiku’s allegations are infantile and a transparent ploy to deflect from his political setbacks.

“His repeated attempts to drag the presidency and now the Lagos State government into fabricated controversies reveal a desperate bid for attention amid his fading attempt to cobble a coalition,”Onanuga said.

He stated that since his defeat in the 2023 presidential election, the former vice president had failed to rise to the dignified role of an elder statesman.

Onanuga said rather than contributing constructively to the national discourse, he had chosen the path of divisive rhetoric and unfounded accusations.

“We urge Atiku Abubakar to redirect his energy toward initiatives that foster unity, economic progress, and democratic stability – qualities Nigeria urgently needs.

“Lastly, the former vice president should know that the EFCC, as an independent institution, operates within its statutory mandate without external influence.

” Any insinuation otherwise is a disservice to the agency’s professionalism and the rule of law.

“The presidency remains committed to transparency, accountability and the pursuit of national development – priorities that demand our undivided attention,” he said. (NAN)

Continue Reading

POLITICS

Democracy in Africa is Dying, says Obasanjo

Published

on

Share

By Mike Odiakose, Abuja

Former Nigerian president, Olusegun Obasanjo, on My Monday in Abuja lamented that democracy is gradually dying in the African continent.Speaking as the chairman of the colloquium to mark the 60th birthday anniversary of former governor of Imo State Emeka Ihedioha, Obasanjo said leaders in Africa are not doing enough to sustain Democratic ideals in their countries adding that “democracy in Africa is not just failing but dying”Chief Obasanjo decried that democracy in Africa is in the reverse gear and may go into extinction because of the greed and wickedness of leaders.

He advised African leaders to practice democracy that delivers the dividends to the peopleThe former President stressed that democracy should ordinarily be a government for all the people and not a few to the detriment of many.
He added that African leaders have betrayed the essence of democracy because “they get into power and appropriate the wealth of the people to themselves and a few cronies”.Obasanjo called for a reversal of the trend if democracy is to survive and thrive in Africa.He praised the celebrant Emeka Ihedioha who has remained steadfast and unperturbed even in the face of injustice against him.Apparently referring to Ihedioha’s exit as governor of Imo State through the instrumentality of the supreme court who gave the governorship seat to a candidate who was fourth in the election against him, he submitted “Emeka is a determined person. Your are gentleman and good hearted.”

Continue Reading

Read Our ePaper

Top Stories

NEWS15 hours ago

Investors lose N91bn as NGX Opens Bearish

ShareThe stock market on Wednesday opened the week bearish as performance indices declined by 0.14 per cent. Specifically, the Nigerian...

NEWS15 hours ago

Police Intensify Surveillance at Sagamu Interchange

Share The Police Command in Ogun says it has beefed up security at the Sagamu Interchange on the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway...

NEWS15 hours ago

Abia Govt. to Crack Down on Traditional Rulers Shielding Criminals

Share The Abia State Government says it will intensify efforts against criminal activities by scrutinising traditional rulers suspected of harbouring...

SPORTS15 hours ago

Solution FC Ends Lobi Stars Federation Cup Journey in Aba

Share Solution FC of Anambra on Wednesday defeated Lobi Stars of Makurdi 2-1 in the ongoing Nigeria Federation/President Cup to...

NEWS15 hours ago

Ex-NYSC DG, Tsiga, Regains Freedom from Abductors

Share The former Director General (DG) of the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC), Brig,-Gen Maharazu Tsiga (rtd) has regained freedom...

POLITICS15 hours ago

Ighodalo to Appeal Edo Tribunal’s Verdict

ShareMr Asue Ighodalo, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) candidate in the 19 September governorship election in Edo, has said he...

NEWS16 hours ago

FG Re-opens Independence Bridge in Lagos

ShareThe Federal Government has announced immediate re-opening of the Independence Bridge (Ahmadu Bello Way-Marina bound) to vehicular traffic. The Minister...

NEWS16 hours ago

South-South Devt Commission: We Need MD Position, Isoko Tells Tinubu

ShareFrom Francis Sadhere, Delta Members of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Isoko Nation, Delta State have called on President...

NEWS16 hours ago

Expert Warns of Looming Food Crisis over Escalating Insecurity in Kogi

ShareFrom Joseph Amedu, Lokoja A seasoned agricultural expert, Dr. Tunde Arosanyin has warned that Agricultural production in Okunland, Kogi West...

NEWS16 hours ago

Wike Approves Employment of 34 Resident Doctors in FCT

ShareBy Laide Akinboade, Abuja The Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Minister, Nyesom Wike yesterday approved employment of 34 Resident Doctors for...

Copyright © 2021 Daily Asset Limited | Powered by ObajeSoft Inc