NEWS
CBN Cautions Public on Use of SWIFT Messages, to Prosecute Offenders

By Tony Obiechina, Abuja
The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has cautioned members of the public on the use of fake SWIFT messages by fraudulent individuals and organizations, claiming that foreign currencies had been sent to them from abroad but held by either their banks or the CBN itself.
The Apex Bank warned in a statement by Acting Director of Corporate Communication, Hakam Sidi-Ali on Tuesday that such claimants might be sent to law enforcement agents for prosecution.
A SWIFT message is a secure, encrypted message that’s sent over the Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunication (SWIFT) network to transfer funds internationally.
The CBN said it had been inundated with such claims by various categories of members of the society, including law firms and even government agencies.
The statement explained that such claimants usually accompanied their claims with face SWIFT documents.
It said, “Recently, the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has been inundated with claims by private entities, individuals, law firms and government agencies that foreign currency funds allegedly transferred to them by foreign entities have yet to be credited to their accounts with Nigerian banks.
“In some instances, the claimants alleged that the funds were withheld by either the beneficiary bank in Nigeria or the CBN and requested the assistance of the Bank towards releasing the funds to them.
“The requests are usually supported with fake documents such as SWIFT MT103, SWIFT Ack copy, etc.
“It has become imperative to state that the SWIFT back copy and SWIFT MT103 that these claimants usually attach as evidence of remittance to beneficiary banks in Nigeria are not reliable.
“The SWIFT messages are always not traceable on the SWIFT platform, and the funds have not been received to enable their application to the beneficiary’s account.
“In a situation where a fund transfer beneficiary’s receiving bank claims non-receipt of funds remitted by the foreign entity (sending customer), instead of escalating such issue to CBN or Law
Enforcement Agencies, the standard practice is for the sending customer to contact the sending bank to send a tracer to trace where the fund is hanging and recall it.
“For the avoidance of doubt, we wish to state emphatically that the CBN neither provides correspondent banking services for Nigerian banks in foreign payments nor maintains accounts for private business entities.
“Consequently, petitioners’ claim that the alleged expected inflows for onward credit into the accounts of private business entities are trapped in the CBN is not only spurious but deceitful.
“The general public is therefore advised to be careful with such unauthentic SWIFT messages and documents containing spurious claims of non-application of substantial foreign currency funds allegedly transferred into the beneficiary’s account.
“The CBN will not hesitate to report any bank customer making unsubstantiated and illegitimate claims to law enforcement agencies for investigation and prosecution. Please be guided accordingly.”
NEWS
Investors lose N91bn as NGX Opens Bearish

The stock market on Wednesday opened the week bearish as performance indices declined by 0.14 per cent.
Specifically, the Nigerian Exchange Ltd. (NGX) market capitalisation fell by N91 billion, or 0.14 per cent, to N66.166 trillion from N66.257 trillion recorded on Friday.
The All-Share Index also dropped by 0.
14 per cent or 144.65 points to close at 105,515.99, down from 105,660. 64 posted on Friday.Th downturn was due to alignment of portfolios by dividend taking-investors.
Also, the market breadth closed negative with 33 losers and 25 gainers.
On the losers’ chart, UACN dropped by 10 per cent to close at N31.95, while University Press fell by 9.
95 per cent to close at N3.89 per shareSunu Assurance lost by 9.92 per cent to close at N5.99 and Consolidated Hallmark Holdings declined by 9.78 per cent to close at N3.23 per share.
Similarly, Learn Africa dropped by 9.64 per cent to close at N3.00 per share.
On the gainers’ chart, UPDCREIT soared by 10 per cent to close at N6.05, while VFD Group increased by 9.96 per cent to close at N51.90 per share.
Africa Prudential rose by 9.96 per cent to close at N14.35 and Union Dicon Salt soared by 9.28 per cent, to close at N5.30 per share.
Also, May Baker gained by 6.17 per cent to close at N8.60 per share.
A total of 438.09 million shares worth N12.016 billion were exchanged across 17,286 transactions.
This is compared to 47.57 million shares worth N21.617 billion that was exchanged across 13,244 transactions on Friday.
Transactions in Fidelity Bank shares topped the activity chart with 41.725 million shares worth N783.26 million.
Mutual Benefits followed with 35.99 million shares valued at N38.215 million while Nigerian Breweries sold 35.614 million shares worth N1.221 billion.
Guaranty Trust Holding Company transacted 33.046 million shares valued at N2.303 billion and Zenith Bank traded 28.635 million shares worth N1.345 billion.
Reacting to the negative market performance, Mr Aruna Kebira, Managing Director of Globalview Capital Ltd., said that the market downturn trend was a result of profit-taking.
According to him, investors are moving their resources from their previous positions, especially to Guaranty Trust Holding Company, due to the attractiveness of its final dividend for 2023.
He said, “What we witnessed today was an alignment of portfolios by dividend-seeking investors.
“The market has analysed the declaration of results, so investors are shifting their positions from their initial holdings to GTCO.
“People are often carried away by immediate yield but don’t critically analyse the market.”(NAN)
NEWS
Police Intensify Surveillance at Sagamu Interchange

The Police Command in Ogun says it has beefed up security at the Sagamu Interchange on the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway to ensure the safety of residents and commuters.
CSP Omolola Odutola, the command’s spokesperson, disclosed this in a statement in Abeokuta on Wednesday.
According to Odutola, the security measures are being taken in response to recent concerns about security in the axis.
She explained that the Commissioner of Police, Lanre Ogunlowo, had proactively led efforts to reinforce security at the Sagamu Interchange Section on the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway.
Odutola said that personnel from the Quick Response Squad, OP Mesa and Mobile Police Squadrons 71 had been strategically stationed at key locations in the area.
The police spokesperson, however, listed the locations to include, under the bridge, at the roundabouts, and along the inward and outward routes of the four intersections.
“A two-hour assessment of the area conducted by the commissioner of police, revealed illegal trading activities and presence of touts.
“Earlier in the day, a criminal hideout was discovered in surrounding bush at the interchange and three suspects were arrested.
“Thereafter, an immediate disbandment of illegal trading activities under the interchanged bridge was carried out,” she said.
The command spokesperson urged citizens to remain vigilant and avoid falling victim of criminal activities.
She advised commuters to plan their travels early to minimise security risks.
Odutola assured of increased security presence, collaborative efforts of sister security agencies and continued support of Ogun government on highways in the state. (NAN)
NEWS
Abia Govt. to Crack Down on Traditional Rulers Shielding Criminals
The Abia State Government says it will intensify efforts against criminal activities by scrutinising traditional rulers suspected of harbouring criminals in the state.
The Commissioner for Information, Mr Okey Kanu, made the disclosure at a news briefing on the outcome of the State Executive Council meeting on Wednesday in Umuahia.
Kanu said security operatives acting on credible intelligence would conduct raids in areas where unlawful elements are believed to be sheltered.
The commissioner stressed that traditional rulers found culpable of providing refuge or protection to criminals would be made to face the full weight of the law as the government aims to rid the state of insecurity.
Kanu, therefore, urged town unions and traditional rulers to fulfill their duties of maintaining security and vigilance within their communities.
“Few weeks back, there was a kidnapping incident in Ukwa involving a prominent business mogul and son of this state.
“The security authorities have confirmed his release, and he is in good health as verified by medical professional,” he said.p
Kanu, however, reaffirmed government’s commitment to ensuring the safety and security of all residents.
He also called on all residents to remain vigilant and promptly report any suspicious movements or activities to the appropriate security agencies.(NAN)