Metro
Flood: NEMA Lists 11 Niger LGAs as High-risk Areas
The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) has identified 11 Local Government Areas (LGAs) in Niger as high flood-risk zones ahead of the 2026 rainy season.
Director-General of NEMA, Zubaida Umar, disclosed this on Thursday in Minna, at a stakeholders’ engagement meeting on the 2026 National Preparedness and Response Campaign (NPRC) on flood disaster and related hazards.
The theme of the meeting was “Strengthening Disaster Risk Governance for a Resilient Community in Nigeria”.
Umar, represented by Abdulrazak Adebiye, North Central Zonal Director of NEMA, said the affected local government areas were Agaie, Bida, Borgu, Edati, Gbako, Katcha, Lapai, Lavun, Magama, Mashegu and Mokwa.
She said the prediction was based on the 2026 Seasonal Climate Prediction and Annual Flood Outlook released by the Nigerian Meteorological Agency (NiMet) and the Nigeria Hydrological Services Agency (NIHSA).
According to her, 23 states, including the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), covering 132 local government areas nationwide, fall within high flood-risk zones, while 148 local government areas in 14 states are categorised as moderate-risk areas.
Umar said the recurring impact of flooding in Nigeria required urgent and collective response, noting that flood disasters yearly resulted in loss of lives, destruction of infrastructure and disruption of livelihoods.
She added that communities also suffered injuries, displacement and loss of savings due to unmitigated flood incidents and their secondary impacts.
The NEMA boss explained that the agency convened expert review meetings on March 31 and April 1 to assess the implications of the forecasts and evolving climate conditions across the country.
According to her, the review revealed possible delayed or erratic rainfall onset, shorter growing seasons, above-normal rainfall in some areas, prolonged dry spells and increased temperatures.
She said the projected climate conditions could negatively affect agriculture, healthcare, transportation, energy, water supply, education and public wellbeing if proactive measures were not taken.
Umar further stated that NEMA had developed the 2026 Climate-Related Risk Management, Preparedness and Mitigation Framework to minimise the impact of flooding nationwide.
She listed some mitigation measures to include capacity building for local responders, simulation and tabletop exercises, strict adherence to rainfall and flood advisories, prepositioning of relief materials and development of evacuation plans.
She also disclosed that vulnerability maps had been produced for identified communities, adding that technical teams would be deployed to states for grassroots sensitisation and direct community engagement.
The Head of NEMA Minna Operations Office covering Niger and Kwara states, Hussaini Isah, described disasters as consequences of poor planning, weak institutions and inadequate preparedness.
He said the engagement became necessary in view of the 2026 Seasonal Climate Prediction by NiMet and the Annual Flood Outlook by NIHSA, adding that the successes recorded in flood management in 2025 were due to strong partnership among stakeholders.
Isah said there was a need for stakeholders to collectively strategise, define their roles and responsibilities and establish clear rules of engagement for effective flood management in 2026.
Director-General of the Niger State Emergency Management Agency (NSEMA), Alhaji Abdullahi Baba-Arah, said the state had established an Emergency Operations Centre which was yet to become fully operational due to shortage of personnel.
In goodwill messages, the Emir of Minna, Alhaji Umar Farouk, represented by Alhaji Mohammed Abubakar, pledged the support of traditional institutions in promoting early warning systems and public sensitisation,
Also, Alhaji Akilu Musa, Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Water Resources, called for stronger synergy among stakeholders in disaster management.
Head, Disaster Risk Reduction Unit, NEMA Minna Operations Office, Dr. Zainab Ndanusa, said Lapai Local Government Area was projected to record the highest rainfall of 1,329mm during the season.
She said Agaie was expected to record 1,321mm, adding that rainfall in the state would likely continue until Oct. 15.
Metro
FG Launches CNG, EV Northern Corridor in Kano
The Federal Government through the Presidential Initiative on Compressed Natural Gas and Electric Vehicles (Pi-CNG & EV), is set to inaugurate the Northern Corridor of CNG and EV programme on Thursday in Kano.
The Head, Brand and Communications, Onyekachi Eke disclosed this while speaking ahead of the event in Kano.
Eke said the programme is aimed at promoting cleaner and more affordable transportation alternatives across Northern Nigeria.
She said the Vice President, Kashim Shettima, Gov. Abba Kabir-Yusuf of Kano State, Gov. Umar Namadi of Jigawa State and Gov.
Dikko Radda of Katsina State were among other dignitaries expected to attend the event.According to her, the programme supports the Federal Government’s efforts to expand access to alternative fuel transportation and reduce dependence on traditional fuels.
“The event will bring together stakeholders from government, the private sector, and the transport industry to activate the expansion of CNG and EV infrastructure and adoption in the region.
“Activities scheduled for the launch include demonstrations of clean mobility solutions currently being deployed across the country and the unveiling and commissioning of CNG and EV assets and infrastructure,” Eke said.
The launch is also expected to provide a platform for stakeholder engagement and collaboration on the development of Nigeria’s clean mobility ecosystem.
Metro
Kano Warns Pilgrims against Taking Kola-nut to Saudi Arabia
From Rabiu Sanusi, Kano
The Kano State Pilgrims Welfare Board has called on all intending pilgrims from the state to strictly comply with the rules and regulations guiding the 2026 Hajj exercise, particularly the directive prohibiting the transportation of kola-nut and other contraband items to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
The Director General of the Board, Abubakar Ibrahim Matawalle, made the call following a meeting with security agencies and stakeholders on preparations for the forthcoming pilgrimage.
According to the Director General, the restriction on kola-nut is a directive from the Saudi Arabian authorities aimed at ensuring the safety, security, and smooth conduct of Hajj operations.
He urged all pilgrims from Kano State to fully cooperate with officials by refraining from carrying prohibited items during their journey.
He added that pilgrims should avoid taking kola-nut and all other contraband items and advised them to strictly respect and adhere to the rules and regulations of the Saudi Arabian authorities as well as those of Nigeria to ensure a successful Hajj exercise.
The Board further emphasized its commitment to ensuring that all pilgrims from Kano State perform their religious obligations in a peaceful, orderly, and lawful manner.
The Kano State Pilgrims Welfare Board also appealed to intending pilgrims to remain law-abiding, cooperate with security personnel and attend all scheduled orientation and enlightenment programmes organized by the Board ahead of their departure.
Metro
Nollywood Star Alex Ekubo Dies at 40
Popular Nollywood actor, Alex Ekubo, is dead. He was 40.
His death was confirmed on Tuesday by his colleagues, Funke Akindele, Bolanle Ninalowo, and Godwin Nnadiekwe, who claimed to be his ally.
Sharing on her Instagram story, Akindele wrote, “Hmmmmmm.
Rest in peace, Alex. I tried to reach out to see you one more time, but I guess you knew best. May your kind soul rest in peace, Alex. ‘Ore mi like you fondly called me, I will always remember and cherish the good times we shared together. Rest in Peace, Alex.”Meanwhile, Ninalowo, who is now in the United States, also mourned on his page, writing, “Rest on, Alex.
May God heal your family and us all.”Nnadiekwe, on the other hand, shared, “I’m struggling to find the words. This news has truly broken me. Nollywood has lost a rare soul, and I’m lost for words because this wasn’t the plan, Alex Ekubo. To think you already prepared your Will — It’s heartbroken, I can’t quite describe. Rest well, my friend.”
As of the time of filing this report, his family has not issued a statement on his death.
Recall that fans across social media recently expressed concerns for Ekubo following his first public appearance after months of social media silence.
The light-skinned movie star had been absent from Instagram since December 30, 2024, sparking speculation about his well-being.
However, a recent video that surfaced online brought him back into the spotlight, though it also raised further questions.
In the viral clip, Ekubo was seen interacting with a group of children, appearing noticeably slimmer and subdued.
The video, posted by user @AsakyGRN on X (formerly Twitter), was captioned, “Alex Ekubo spotted for the first time since disappearing from social media.”
The footage triggered a wave of emotional reactions from fans, many of whom noted a significant change in his appearance and questioned his wellbeing.
Before his demise, the actor dismissed marriage in favour of his quest to earn more money in the film industry.
In January 2023, his then-lover, Fancy Acholonu, in an interview, revealed that she dated the late actor for five years without them having any intimacy.
The US-based model also called off her wedding to Ekubo in December 2021, after apologising to the film star a year later for calling it off.
Acholonu affirmed her love for the actor, saying that “like our shirt says, Nothing makes sense when we’re apart @alexxekubo you still have my heart.
“I miss you, I love you, and I’m truly sorry for all the hurt & pain you and your family went through with our breakup.”
She noted that her actions were out of character, and she has realised she could have controlled her emotions and not been so overreactive.
However, in a post on his Instagram page, Ekubo implied that he was aware that some people were curious about why he has not yet been married.
The film star said he was more interested in making money. He urged people not to bother about his marital status.


