Connect with us

POLITICS

Abia APC Group Tackles Gov Otti Over N54bn ‘Phantom’ Projects in Schools

Published

on

Share

By Mike Odiakose, Abuja

As the purported expenditure of over N54 billion by the administration of Governor Alex Otti on projects in schools in Abia State continues to generate controversy, a pro-All Progressives Congress (APC) group in the state has tasked the governor to give account of how the money was spent.

The group operating under the platform of the Abian’s Best Interest Association, also warned the governor not to contemplating joining the APC in the state.
At a press conference Tuesday in Abuja titled “Where is Abia’s N54 billion?”, the Convener of the group, Hon. Barrister Eze Chikamnayo, said his group had visited several Local Government Areas in Abia state where they interacted with stakeholders on developmental issues before embarking on an on-the-spot inspection of public schools in particular.
”In Ugwunagbo, LGA, schools visited included Ihie Community Primary School, Ihie Ukwu Primary School, Asa Umunka Primary School, and Ikem Migrant Farmers School. “In Isiala Ngwa South, the team inspected Nneise Primary School – Umuhu/Umuezu Nvosi, Umunkpeyi Primary School – Umunkpeyi Nvosi, and Obuba Primary School – Obuba Nvosi, Ikem Migrant Farmers School. “From our dispassionate observation, we wish to hereby unequivocally decry the deplorable state of infrastructure in these schools, amongst others, noting that the decay was even more alarming in Isiala Ngwa South – the acclaimed and very contentious Local Government of the sitting Governor, Mr Alex Otti “One wonders then, if charity no longer begins at home.”We went further to question the much-publicized ₦54 billion which appeared in the Abia State Budget Performance Report for the renovation and retrofitting of public schools for the year 2024 and stress that a Budget Performance Report, anywhere in the world, details accomplished projects and the actual amounts spent – not mere approved figures.”While accusing the Abia state Governor of undermining President Bola Ahmed Tinubu but claimed to be his supporters, Barr. Chikamnayo recalled that Governor Alex Otti as opposition leader had earlier promised that ‘under my watch, not a Kobo of Abia resources will be stolen’. “We now question how such words can be trusted when his administration thrives on non-disclosure and only tries to explain itself when prompted. “We further wish to express shock that the state government included “recruitment of teachers, buying chalks our teaching aids” among the items for which the ₦54 billion was supposedly spent. “When did employing teachers and purchasing instructional materials become capital projects?”We call on Abians to be vigilant, ask questions, and demand full accountability and transparency from the Alex Otti-led administration. “The future of our children is at stake, and no government should be allowed to mortgage it under the guise of inflated or questionable expenditure.”When asked whether the group will receive Alex Otti into APC if he decides to join, the APC group said: “He wants people to believe that he supports the president but the same time we know that in Abia state he is undermining Mr President, Bola Ahmed Tinubu. “As we speak, over N300 billion has come from President Tinubu reforms into Abia State government and all the local governments are grounded, castrated and completely insolvent.”We will not receive such a liability into APC. That is what we are saying. Nobody in APC Abia state wants anything called Alex Otti. He is a liability.”He said Abia state on Alex Otti has poorly funded public schools compared to its neighbours in the same south east states. “This lack of transparency and accountability we believe is a gross disservice to Abians.”The Abia Best Interest Association and indeed the APC Abia State, therefore, wishes to draw attention of the pubic to the fact that allocations and various intervention funds coming to Abia State from the Federal Government, have tripled since the inception of the President Tinubu’s Administration – wondering why there was still nothing tangible to show in the education sector in Abia State compared to the situation in Imo and Enugu States, where the government has rebuilt, modernized, and equipped public schools with visible results for all to see.”

POLITICS

Aare Asejere Bags Award of Excellence

Published

on

Share

From Ayinde Akintade, Osogbo

Commissioner for Rural Development and Community Affairs in Osun State, Aare Ganiyu Olaoluwa Asejere at the weekend emphasized that meaningful development could be achieved where there is unity and collective responsibility, while pledging his continued support for initiatives that uplift Osogbo land.

Asejere, who is also the Osun Central Senatorial Hopeful made this known at the annual anniversary ceremony and award presentation of Osogbo sons and daughters at Osogbo Grammar School.

The Osogbo born politician said, his priority is to continue to work for the welfare and betterment of the entire residents of Osogbo land and its environs.

“I will not relent in pursuing the upliftment of all nooks and crannies of Osogbo land which is the capital of Osun State and gateway of the state. I want to use this medium to appreciate Governor Ademola Adeleke of the state for the ongoing infrastructures in Osogbo, Mr Governor has done well towards the complete development of the ancient Osogbo.

“In Osogbo today, we can boast of good roads, over-head bridges, rehabilitation and construction of roads among others, all these for the betterment of the citizens”, the Commissioner stressed.

In a notable display of generosity, Aare Asejere announced a ₦500,000 donation through his Blue and White Hotel, managed by his daughter as CEO. He also made an undisclosed personal donation, further underscoring his dedication

In recognition of his impactful contributions to grassroots empowerment and community advancement, Aare Asejere was honoured with an Award of Excellence, which follows with commendation from attendees.

Other awardees included Hon Teslim Igbalaye, Hon Adewale Maruff Gangaria, Lawal Bamidele Rasheed, and Isiaq Jagaban, alongside other distinguished personalities. Royal Fathers were also represented on behalf of Ataoja of Osogbo, adding cultural prestige to the ceremony.

The representative of the governor, Barrister Kolapo Alimi, Commissioner for Information and Public Enlightenment, Prof Maruff Ademola Adeleke, Commissioner for Budget and Economic Planning and other notable personalities from Osogbo were present.

The celebration reaffirmed a shared commitment to progress, with Aare Asejere standing tall as a steadfast champion of Osogbo’s sustainable development.

Continue Reading

POLITICS

El-Rufai Seeks NSA Clarification on Toxic Chemical Procurement

Published

on

Share

By David Torough, Abuja

A former governor of Kaduna State, Nasir el-Rufai, has asked the Office of the National Security Adviser to clarify what he described as information available to opposition figures regarding the alleged procurement of a toxic chemical substance.

In a letter dated January 30, 2026 and addressed to the National Security Adviser in Abuja, el-Rufai said he was seeking “clarification and reassurance” over reports that the office planned to obtain thallium sulphate from abroad.

El-Rufai posted a copy of the letter on his official X handle on Sunday.

The former governor noted that the substance is regarded as dangerous and tightly regulated, stressing the need for transparency.

“I am writing as a concerned citizen to seek clarification and reassurance regarding information available to the political opposition leadership about a procurement of approximately 10 kilograms of Thallium Sulphate by the Office of the National Security Adviser (ONSA), reportedly from a supplier in Poland.

“Given that thallium salts are highly toxic and tightly controlled substances, I believe it is important – for public safety, democratic accountability and for maintaining public trust – to confirm the following details”, the letter partly read.

He listed six areas where he wants explanations, including “the intended purpose and end-use of the imported thallium sulphate, the identity of the supplier and whether the importation followed due authorisation, the quantity and concentration involved, storage arrangements, and the regulatory oversight and coordination in place with NAFDAC, NCDC, and relevant public-health and environmental agencies.”

El-Rufai also asked, “Whether any public-health risk assessments or hazard-mitigation plans have been developed, given the compound’s extreme toxicity.”

While emphasising that the request was not made in bad faith, he argued that openness would strengthen trust in public institutions.

He further requested continued engagement from the security office.

“I want to stress that this inquiry is made in good faith, solely to ensure that due processes, safety standards, and transparency are observed.

“Public confidence in the integrity of national institutions is strengthened when potential risks are openly addressed and managed.

“If possible, I would appreciate a response or a point of contact within your office for further engagement to reassure those of us that are Nigerian citizens in opposition,” the letter added.

For completeness, he said copies of the correspondence were sent to other relevant authorities.

“For completeness, I am copying this correspondence to NAFDAC and the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), both of which play essential roles in chemical safety and public-health preparedness,” he said.

The development comes amid a recent attempt by security operatives to arrest him at Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja.

Recall that El-Rufai, in an interview on Arise TV on Friday, claimed that he learnt of an alleged plan to arrest him upon his return to the country on Thursday through a leaked conversation from the NSA’s phone.

“Ribadu made the call because we listened to their calls. The government thinks that they’re the only ones that listen to calls. But we also have our ways. He made the call. He gave the order that they should arrest me”, he said in the interview.

This also comes amid heightened debate about election cycles, national security management and the role of oversight institutions, with opposition actors frequently demanding greater transparency from federal authorities on sensitive procurements.

As of the time of filing this report, the NSA’s office had not publicly responded to the letter.

Continue Reading

POLITICS

Kaduna Assembly Debunks Report on Alleged Abduction of Lawmaker

Published

on

Share

The Kaduna State House of Assembly has described as false a report alleging that the member representing Kajuru Constituency, Hon. Usman Stingo, was abducted by suspected terrorists.

The Chairman, House Committee on Information, NGOs and Development Partners, Marah Henry, who made this known in a statement on Thursday, said the report published by an online medium was malicious and fictitious.

Henry said the lawmaker representing Kajuru was safe and currently discharging his official duties.

He added that the individual mentioned in the publication was wrongly identified as a member of the Kaduna State House of Assembly.

According to him, the photograph used in the report does not represent the leadership of the constituency, further indicating the lack of due diligence by the publisher.

 “The report is entirely false and a figment of the publisher’s imagination.

“It is a calculated attempt to incite fear, cause public unrest and undermine public trust in the government’s security capacity,” he said.

Henry warned media organisations against disseminating unverified information, stating that the assembly would not hesitate to seek legal redress against individuals or institutions found culpable of spreading defamatory information.

He emphasised that while freedom of the press was constitutionally guaranteed, it should not be used to promote reckless journalism capable of threatening public peace and security.

The committee chairman urged members of the public to disregard the report and remain calm, assuring that the state government remained committed to the safety of lives and property.

He advised the citizens to rely only on official sources for information and avoid sharing unverified reports capable of causing panic.

 “The government’s priority remains the peace and stability of Kaduna State,” Henry said.

Continue Reading

Advertisement

Read Our ePaper

Top Stories

BUSINESS11 hours ago

Dangote Salt Rewards 50 Outstanding Customers with Trucks, Cash Gifts

ShareNASCON Allied Industries Plc, also known as Dangote Salt, has rewarded 50 outstanding customers with Trucks and cash gifts worth...

NEWS11 hours ago

FG Deepens IDEAS Project to Boost Employment, Expand Skills Training

Share By Tony Obiechina, Abuja The Federal Government has reaffirmed its unwavering commitment to advancing youth skills development and driving sustainable...

NEWS12 hours ago

Livestock Minister Bags DAILY ASSET Minister of The Year Award

ShareBy Raphael Atuu, Abuja The Minister of Livestock Development, Idi Mukhtar Maiha, has received the “Ministry of the Year” award...

NEWS12 hours ago

Police Confirms Rescue of Nine Kidnapped Catholic Worshippers in Benue

ShareBy Attah Ede, Makurdi Benue State Police Command on Sunday confirmed the rescue of the nine catholic worshippers who were...

NEWS12 hours ago

ShareInsecurity: NMA Urge Doctors to Join Military From Nicholas Dekera, Kaduna The Nigeria Medical Association (NMA) has tasked doctors with...

NEWS12 hours ago

Seven Traders Missing as Inferno Engulfs Kano’s Commercial Heartland

ShareFrom Aliyu Askira, Kano A devastating wave of fire has torn through two of Kano’s most prominent markets, leaving destruction,...

NEWS13 hours ago

Employee Corruption, Fraud Threaten Nigerian MSMEs Survival – CPPE

ShareThe Centre for the Promotion of Private Enterprise (CPPE) says employee corruption and occupational fraud have emerged as a major...

NEWS13 hours ago

FIWON Says PoS Agents Won’t Boost Micro Pension Uptake

ShareThe Federation of Informal Workers of Nigeria (FIWON) said appointing Point-of-Sale (PoS) agents to mobilise micro pension contributions will not...

NEWS13 hours ago

FIWON Says PoS Agents Won’t Boost Micro Pension Uptake

ShareThe Federation of Informal Workers of Nigeria (FIWON) said appointing Point-of-Sale (PoS) agents to mobilise micro pension contributions will not...

Education13 hours ago

UniAbuja Council Appoints Two Deputy Vice-Chancellors

ShareThe Governing Council of the University of Abuja, chaired by Sen. Olanrewaju Tejuoso, has approved two new Deputy Vice-Chancellors. This...