DEFENCE
Mrs Tinubu Hails NAOWA, Pledges to Enhance Status of Women

Wife of the President, Mrs Oluremi Tinubu, has promised to promote endeavors that would project and enhance the status of women in Nigeria.
The First Lady, who was represented by Prof. Nora Daduut, made the pledged at the public presentation of a book titled “Strengthening the NAOWA Narrative”, on Saturday in Abuja.
The book was authored by Mrs Salamatu Yahaya, the President of the Nigerian Army Officers’ Wives Association (NAOWA) and wife of the Chief of Army Staff, Lt.
-Gen. Faruk Yahaya.Tinubu commended Mrs Yahaya for her resilience and wisdom in writing the book, saying it was another giant step in chronicling events of army officers’ wives.
She expressed delight that the work came from the women folk, saying it had increased the need for women to continue to document their journey, experiences and accomplishments.
According to her, the well researched book came at a time when a lot of people had almost lost interest in writing and paying attention to history.
“You have not just added to the body of knowledge in Nigeria, you have renewed our interest in writing and documentation.
“It is my own opinion that this will go a long way in enriching the lives of not only members of NAOWA, but lives of our young ones who will appreciate this piece of work as a good resource in shaping their decisions and choices that they make.
“I congratulate you, Mrs Salamatu Yahaya and your association.
“It is my prayer that you will continue to grow in strength, in wisdom and vision to the glory of our dear country.
“I want to assure you that my office would not relent in promoting endeavors that will project and enhance the status of women in Nigeria,” she said.
The Chief of Army Staff (COAS), Lt.-Gen. Faruk Yahaya, commended his wife for putting the idea together while at the same time providing support for him in discharging his duties.
Yahaya said the activities of NAOWA were centered in human capital development, especially women, youth, children and venerable persons and groups in barracks and the larger society.
He said the book was also centered on NAOWA as an organisation gleaming from the past experiences with some practical aspect of leadership.
According to him, it highlights the experiences garnered by the writer as she rose to the various stages and levels of NOWA from unit to brigade to division level, and now leadership position as the president.
Yahaya said leadership was always a challenging task, especially in NAOWA that was also made-up of diverse mix of people with different backgrounds, competencies and experiences.
“I therefore commend the author for successful leadership of the association so far and also for putting her thoughts to paper, which could serve as a guide to many including upcoming members.
“I believe the book is an interesting read as it gives insights into the association, its focus, aims and objectives.
“Furthermore, the principle of successful leadership, as well as many other lesson highlighted in the book, would help propel the minds of leaders towards optimal performance and achievements of leadership goals on the whole,” he said.
The author of the book, Mrs Yahaya said she wrote the book to appreciate the efforts of past leaders of NAOWA, inspire the present members and lay an enduring foundation for the future leaders.
She said the desire to impart lives especially the youth was another motivating factor that encouraged her to pen down her thoughts.
According to her, reading is a must have skill for effective leadership, adding that the book was aimed at boosting reading culture.
“The desire to write this book started when I attended a workshop comprising of participants from all military officers wives associations and in the course of the workshop, we were asked during an icebreaker exercise to mention our heroes and role models.
“Surprisingly, all of us, including myself here, were calling names such as Oprah Winfrey, Michelle Obama, Margaret Thatcher, and the rest of them.
“None of us mentioned any of the founding mothers of our various associations.
“That incident opened my eyes to the fact that the many heroic achievements and legacies of our founding mothers are not appreciated by many of us and therefore they have remained unsong heroines.
“Therefore, the book “Strengthening the NAOWA Narratives” is an attempt to recognise and celebrate NAOWA heroines who have made giant strides in the advancement of human capital and structural developments,” she said.
The Book Reviewer, Prof. Asabe Usman of Uthman Danfodio University Sokoto, described the book as a master piece and must read for all.
Usman said the book was written in simple language in spite of the author’s literary prowess with a view to communicate understanding to the readers.
She said the book was also borne out of the selfless nature of the author, adding that it was her desire to leave a legacy as a guide for her successor.
She said the pieces of advice packed in the book would be useful for both NAOWA and non-NAOWA members.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the book presentation had in attendance a number of prominent members of the society from government, business and military circles.
The Chief Launcher was the Alhaji Samad Rabiu while the former first lady and founder of NOAWA, Mrs Maryam Abacha, representative of States governors, past army chiefs and past presidents of NAOWA were in attendance.
Also, the Chief of Defence Staff and service chiefs as well as top serving and retired military officers graced the occasion. (NAN)
DEFENCE
Troops Neutralise 109 Terrorists, Nab 81 Suspects in 1 Week – DHQ

Troops of the Armed Forces of Nigeria have in the last one week, neutralised 109 terrorists, apprehended 81 suspects and rescued 43 kidnapped hostages across theatres of operation in the country.During the week under review, troops neutralised 109 and arrested 81 persons.This is contained in a statement by the Director, Defence Media Operations, Maj.
-Gen. Edward Buba on Friday in Abuja. Buba said the troops also nabbed six perpetrators of oil theft and denied oil thieves of an estimated sum of N618.7 million during the week.According to him, troops recovered 21 assorted weapons and 124 assorted ammunition, comprising nine AK-47 rifles, five fabricated rifles, four dane guns, and locally made pistols.He said the troops also recovered seven magazines, 97 rounds of 7.62mm special ammo, 22 rounds of 7.62mm NATO, five live cartridges, three baofeng radios, four vehicles, six motorcycles and four mobile phones amongst other items.Buba said the troops in the Niger Delta area discovered and destroyed 10 crude oil cooking ovens, 10 dugout pits, 12 boats, four storage tanks and 10 illegal refining sites.“Other items recovered include three pumping machines, 12 speedboats, 20 drums, two motorcycles, one mobile phone and four vehicles among others.“Troops recovered 631,709 litres of stolen crude oil, 3,140 litres of illegally refined AGO and 2,250 litres of PMS.“Troops are sustaining the winning ways of ongoing operational engagements.“Accordingly, citizens will continue to witness the incremental effectiveness and efficiency of the armed forces,” he said. (NAN)DEFENCE
CDS Promises Improved Security in 2025

Gen. Christopher Musa, the Chief of Defence Staff (CDS), has pledged to improve the security of lives and property in Nigeria in 2025.
Musa made the commitment during a visit to troops of Sector Seven, Operation Safe Haven (OPSH), in Samaru, Zangon Kataf Local Government Area (LGA) of Kaduna State, on Thursday.
The CDS was in company of Maj.
-Gen. Abdulsalam Abubakar, the General Officer Commanding (GOC) 3 Division of the Nigerian Army, Jos and Commander OPSH.He acknowledged that 2024 had been a challenging year for the military but assured that 2025 would bring better outcomes.
“2024 was challenging, but we made remarkable improvements. 2025 will be better.
“Our plan is to do more to bring lasting peace to Nigerians; the enemy is not sleeping, and we will not rest until we get it right,”he said.
Musa expressed gratitude to Nigerians for their support, urging them to continue collaborating with the military to defeat the enemies of the country.
“We want to thank Nigerians for their support; we are appealing to them to collaborate with us to defeat the enemies of our land,” he appealed.
The CDS also thanked President Bola Tinubu for providing the necessary resources and environment for military operations, and commended the National Assembly for approving the 2025 budget, particularly for the procurement of sophisticated military equipment.
Musa lauded the troops of Sector Seven for their commitment to ensuring peace and security in the region, advising them to avoid any unprofessional conduct.
“The president is proud of what we are doing, and Nigerians are relying on us to make the country safe.
“We cannot fail. We are on the right track, but we must do more to fully secure Nigerians this year.”he said
He further urged the troops not to engage in illegal activities, to cooperate with other security agencies, and to build trust with the civil populace.
“You must be fair and impartial, that’s the only way to deal with criminals. Go after the criminals, not innocent civilians,” he advised.
Also speaking, Sen. Sunday Marshall, representing Kaduna South, commended the military for the relative peace currently enjoyed in the area.
He promised to collaborate with and support the security agencies in achieving lasting peace in the region and the state.(NAN)
DEFENCE
Army Destroys 22 Lakurawa Camps, Recover Arms in Sokoto, Kebbi

The special brigade of the Nigerian Army has neutralised scores of Lukurawa bandits and destroyed about 22 camps in Sokoto and Kebbi states.
The Theatre Commander of Operation FANSAN YAMMA, Maj.- Gen. Oluyinka Soyele, disclosed this to the newsmen on Friday in Sokoto.
Speaking through the Acting General Officer Commanding (GOC), 8 Division of Nigerian Army Sokoto, Brig.
Gen. Ibikunle Ajose, Soyele said the special operation brigade was deployed by the Chief of Defense Staff, Gen. Christopher Musa for the exercise.He noted that the successes were recorded through a fresh onslaughts lunched against Lakurawa bandits that led to the destruction of bandits camps.
Soyele said that the operation was to consolidate successes achieved in the ongoing operation under ” FOREST SANITY III CHASE LAKURAWAS OUT. ”
He charged the troops to ensure total destruction of the Lakurawas sects and enjoined them to abide by the rules of engagement and ensure the protection of lives and properties of law abiding citizens.
Soyele further highlighted that troops have been selected and trained for this mission, hence Nigerians are counting on their ability and professionalism to flush out the Lakurawas.
He added that the special operation was to ensure total elimination of the Lakurawas sects in Sokoto and Kebbi states.
He explained that the operation reached forests and enclaves at Rumji Dutse East of Sarma, Tsauna and Bauni, Malgatawa, Gargao, Tsauna and Magara forests in Kebbi state.
Other areas raided included; Kaideji, Nakuru, Sama, Sanyinna, Kadidda, Kolo and Dancha villages in Illela, Tangaza and Binji local government areas of Sokoto state.
The operation, he said led to the recovery of four rifles and 409 PKT 7.62mm NATO and 94 pieces of 7.62mm special rounds ammunition besides destruction of about 22 camps, neutralization of several members of the sect members.
He stressed that the deployment of the brigade would be an added impetus in frustrating the activities of the bandits and restoring normalcy to the affected communities and the Northwest states.
Soyele added that prior to the deployment of the Brigade, troops of 8 Division under Operation FANSAN YAMMA had begun precursor and shaping the areas. (NAN)