NEWS
No Casualties Recorded in Onitsha Fire Incident – Police

The Police Command in Anambra has denied reports of casualties in an early morning fire that engulfed a two-storey building storing textile materials on Ifejika Street, near Main Market, Onitsha.
The Command’s Public Relations Officer, SP Tochukwu Ikenga, stated this while speaking with newsmen in Onitsha on Friday.
Ikenga recalled that a statement had been issued clarifying that no casualties were recorded in the fire incident on Ifejika Street, near Main Market, Onitsha.
During a media briefing on Friday in Awka, the Commissioner of Police for Anambra, Ikioye Orutugu, expressed sympathy for the victims of the warehouse fire.
“Regrettably, before I go into the details of some notable achievements recorded by the Command, we wish to sympathise with the victims of the warehouse fire.
“The incident could have been avoided if necessary precautionary measures had been taken.
“However, no lives were lost. The Command appreciates the support of the Fire Service and well-meaning individuals in ensuring the fire was extinguished.
“The police have taken over the scene to investigate the cause of the fire and prevent hoodlums from exploiting the situation to commit crimes,” Orutugu said.
The Fire Chief of the Anambra Fire Service, Mr Chukwudi Chiketa, also confirmed that no lives were lost in the fire at the warehouse on Ifejika Street.
“To the best of my knowledge, there were no fatalities. The area is mainly used for parking and warehousing traders’ goods.
“The fire occurred in the morning, and to the best of my knowledge, no casualties were recorded. I did not witness any casualties,” he reiterated.
Chiketa urged the public to ignore a viral video claiming there were casualties, describing it as fake and an attempt to discredit the efforts of security agencies. (NAN)
NEWS
Fire Service Confirms Incident at North-West University, Kano

The Kano State Fire Service has confirmed a fire incident at the North-West University.
The agency’s Public Relations Officer, Alhaji Saminu Abdullahi, told newsmen in Kano that the incident occurred on Thursday afternoon.
“The fire started around 1.
00p.m., and we quickly sent our rescue team to the scene.“The fire affected some offices, including Information and Communication Technology (ICT) department,” he said.
He said that one person was affected by the fire and he was rushed to a hospital for medical attention.
Abdullahi said that the fire was caused by sparks from an electric cable. (NAN)
NEWS
Mining Marshals Shut Down Illegal Nasarawa Site

The Mining Marshals have shut down an illegal mining site in the Rafin-Gabas community of Kokona Local Government Area, Nasarawa State.
The Minister of Solid Minerals Development, Dr Dele Alake, confirmed this in a statement by his Special Assistant on Media, Segun Tomori, on Thursday in Abuja.
Alake stated that the Mining Marshals, a security outfit established by the Ministry, dismantled the site and arrested three foreigners.
He described the operation as a major step toward curbing illegal mining and sanitising the sector.
The site, he said, had long evaded law enforcement and was reportedly protected by compromised security personnel.
“However, following a strategic and well-coordinated operation, the Mining Marshals penetrated the stronghold, leading to the arrest of three foreign nationals.
“Several other suspects managed to flee, allegedly with the help of security operatives,” he said.
The minister commended the Marshals, describing the operation as a breakthrough in the fight against illegal mining.
He reaffirmed the government’s commitment to cracking down on illegal mining and ensuring accountability.
Meanwhile, the Commander of the Mining Marshals, John Onoja, said a manhunt was underway for the escaped suspects.
Onoja added that investigations were ongoing to identify security personnel who facilitated the illegal activities.
According to him, the company behind the illegal operations, along with some fugitives, have pending criminal charges in the Federal High Court, Abuja.
The Federal Government has arrested 327 suspects and prosecuted 143 for illegal mining since the Marshals began operations in 2024.
The Marshals, drawn from the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC), were trained in tactical skills to combat illegal miners, bandits, and other criminal elements. (NAN)
NEWS
FG to Commence Construction of Collapsed Namnai Bridge in Taraba

Alhaji Uba Maigari, Minister for State Regional Development has announced the commencement of construction work on the collapsed Namnai bridge along Wukari Jalingo high way in Taraba by the Federal Government.
Maigari made the declaration on Thursday during an assessment visit to the collapsed Namnai bridge.
He recalled that engineers and surveyors from the North East Development Commission (NEDC), had already carried out their technical assessment of the bridge in the last six weeks with the view to reconstructing it.
He said that the situation of the bridge was a concern to the Federal Government, justifying why he had cut short his holiday for the visit to the site.
He expressed the commitment of the Federal Government to work on Namnai, Mayo Kham, Bantaje and Suntai bridges all in the state.
He said that his visit was a testament that the Federal Government was worried over the plight of the people, who ply the road that linked the Southern Nigeria and the North Eastern part of the country.
“As a responsible and responsive government, it is our responsibility to fix the collapse brigade as soon as possible.
“We are in a holiday but we have cut it short to give attention to the situation.
“Gov Agbu Kefas of Taraba had visited us in the past six weeks and we discussed on emergency intervention on Namnai, Mayo Kham, Bantaje and Suntai bridges.
“With this situation, which is a natural disaster, we are still going to commence work on Namnai bridge in the next one week,” he said.
The News Agency of Nigeria recalls that the Namnai bridge along Wukari Jalingo high way which is linking Calabar to Maiduguri collapsed in 2024 due to flood. (NAN)