Education
FG committed to reposition teaching profession – Mamman
As Nigeria today joins the world to commemorate the 2023 World Teachers’ Day celebration, teachers have been advised to be appreciative of efforts by the Federal Government to reposition the teaching profession.
The Minister of Education, Tahir Mamman at the 2023 commemoration in Abuja on Thursday,said the day is set aside to honour teachers for their invaluable roles in the development of humanity and society.
The theme for this year’s commemorate is : “The teachers we need for the Education we want: Global imperative to reverse teachers shortage.”
Mamman said some of the promises made to teachers had been fulfilled as they can now retire at either 65 years of age or 40 years of service; whichever that comes first.
He added that teachers’ salary had since been placed on the first line charge for timely payment.
“Today, we have come together not merely as individuals but as a global community to celebrate the unsung heroes of our society. World Teachers Day is not just an annual observance but a testament to the transformative power of education and the dedication of those who facilitate it.
“As we embark on this event with the theme “The Teacher We Need for the Education We Want: The Global Trend to Reverse the Teacher Shortage” let us reflect on the impediments that teachers encounter while instilling knowledge, values, and hope.
“We have to re-evaluate our approach to teacher training, recruitment, welfare and equip teachers with the skills, resources and the recognition they deserve to meet the evolving demands of education in the 21st century.
“It is, therefore, paramount that while reaffirming the importance of their invaluable role in shaping a brighter tomorrow every year, there is dire need to clear the hurdles that prevents the optimal realisation of their roles and targets,” he said.
Mamman explained that the travail of educating young minds goes beyond the confines of the classroom.
According to him, it is a continuous effort to inspire, motivate and guide students towards their full potential.
“Teachers should note that their words resonate deeply with their students and pupils thereby reaffirming the importance of the educator’s role in nurturing creativity or cluelessness and curiosity or apathy.
“We all know that teaching is more than imparting knowledge and involves instilling a lifelong love for learning, character building, inducting positive attitude and general relationship with people outside the classroom.
“All these are informally transmitted through the teachers conduct.
“As we celebrate teachers today, there is need for teachers in Nigeria to be appreciative of efforts by the Federal Government to reposition the teaching profession,” he said .
Meanwhile, the Minister of State for Education, Yusuf Sununu, explained that shortage of teachers in the country and in other parts of the world poises challenges.
Sununu said that it was time to reflect on the critical role teacher’s played by instilling knowledge, values, a thirst for learning in their students to transform them into responsible citizens.
“If all equipped teachers are passionate and ready to pursue excellence, the teachers we have in our schools can collectively revolutionise the basic and secondary education sub-sectors.
“In Nigeria, as in many other countries worldwide, the shortage of qualified teachers and the desired form of education pose a significant challenge.
“Ongoing international deliberations recommend changes that anchor on commitment, connections, communication and creativity in the prevailing traditional education methodology.
“Therefore, education is in a critical juncture and teachers in service require constant training and retraining to fit into the scheme of things.
“The teacher we want shall be creative, active listener, engaging, collaborative and has empathy. He also must be adaptive, focused on growth, patience, respectful and prepared to engage in lifelong learning,”he said.
Sununu added that the inability of some teachers who may be computer literate but unable to deploy Information and Communication Technology (ICT) in teaching and learning affects education outcome and the ability to achieve national development goals.
“It is, therefore, imperative that teachers in Nigeria should take advantage of the Open Education Resource (OER) and other online and in-person study centres to upgrade and become “the teachers we want”.
“This is for us to collectively ensure that every child in Nigeria has access to quality education,” he said.
The celebration witnessed match pass by teachers across the 36 states, including the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) as well as presentation of President’s Teachers and Schools Excellence Awards.
Omolade Adeyemi, a teacher from the SUBEB Model Primary School, Ekiti came best in the public school categories, while St. Paul Academy, Jos is the best school in the private school categories.
Ijeoma Ekumankama of the Federal Government College, Nise, Anambra, is the Best Principal, Best Teacher in the Private School Categories is Ruth Oraekwu, Best Administrator in the Public Category is Oladimeji Bello, among others.
Education
FG Okays N4bn to Settle Stranded Nigerian Scholars’ Allowances
The Federal Government has approved N4bn for the payment of allowances to Nigerian students studying abroad under the Bilateral Education Agreement.
The approval follows outcries from the beneficiaries who had lamented that they were being pushed into forced labour and prostitution due to prolonged hardship occasioned by the nonpayment of their allowance by the Federal Government.
The Minister of Education, Tunji Alausa, disclosed that the fund, representing part of the N8bn budgeted for the programme this year, had been released as the first tranche to address outstanding payments owed to the scholars.
“The Federal Ministry of Finance has approved N4bn to pay the first tranche, and I am working with the Minister of Finance to settle the remaining N4bn. Hopefully, in the next few weeks, they will receive all their allowances for 2025 and 2026.
According to him, efforts are ongoing between both ministries to ensure that all outstanding payments are cleared, with the balance expected to be released within four weeks.
The development follows a disturbing viral video from affected students across countries, including Russia, Serbia and Venezuela, who said delays in stipends spanning over a year had left many struggling to survive, with some resorting to menial jobs while others claimed female students had been forced into prostitution.
The outcry comes barely a year after the Federal Government terminated the scholarship programme and promised to ensure that current students are funded to complete their studies.
In 2025, the minister cited inefficiency and misallocation of national resources as reasons for terminating the programme, following similar complaints from previous beneficiaries.
The programme, established through diplomatic partnerships, had enabled Nigerian students to study in countries such as China, Russia, Hungary, Morocco, Algeria, Egypt and Serbia.
He explained that the scheme had become unsustainable, noting that the government planned to spend about N9bn on just 1,200 students in 2025.
However, the minister assured that all current beneficiaries of the scheme would continue to receive full government support until they complete their studies and return to Nigeria.
Despite assurances that current beneficiaries would not be affected, several students said they had not received stipends for over two years, leaving them stranded.
In the viral video, about 16 Nigerian scholars in Russia appealed to the government for urgent intervention, describing their situation as dire.
One of the students, a fifth-year medical student in Rostov, said many had been pushed into extreme conditions to survive.
A student leader in Russia, who spoke on condition of anonymity, confirmed the development recently, lamenting that the rising cost of living and currency challenges had worsened their situation.
She added that restrictions on student work permits in some countries further limit their ability to earn income.
Another student in Venezuela described the situation as abandonment, noting that scholars from other countries receive regular support from their governments.
He said, “It is only Nigerians that are abandoned. Other countries like Mozambique, Burkina Faso, and Brazil, send delegates to check on their students and pay them, but no one comes from Nigeria.
A parent of an affected scholar, who spoke anonymously with our correspondent, said relevant government agencies had been engaged to facilitate the payment.
“The situation requires prompt attention. These children were sent abroad through a government programme. There have been delays in stipends despite repeated appeals to the Ministry of Finance, Ministry of Education and other agencies.”
The Federal Government had earlier, in January, dismissed claims that Nigerian scholarship students in Morocco were abandoned, following a viral video that showed some students facing hardship, including homelessness and lack of medical support.
The video, shared on X by activist Martins Otse, featured interviews with Nigerian students in Morocco who alleged they had gone for years without receiving financial support despite being beneficiaries of government scholarships.
Reacting, the Federal Ministry of Education, in a statement signed by its Director of Press and Public Relations, Boriowo Folasade, insisted that no student on a valid Federal Government scholarship had been neglected.
Alausa was quoted as saying that all beneficiaries enrolled under the Bilateral Education Scholarship Programme before 2024 had received payments up to the 2024 budget year in line with government obligations.
The statement noted that any delays in outstanding payments were due to fiscal constraints and were being addressed through ongoing engagements between the Ministry of Education and the Ministry of Finance.
Education
FG Okays N4bn to Settle Stranded Nigerian Scholars’ Allowances
The Federal Government has approved N4bn for the payment of allowances to Nigerian students studying abroad under the Bilateral Education Agreement.
The approval follows outcries from the beneficiaries who had lamented that they were being pushed into forced labour and prostitution due to prolonged hardship occasioned by the nonpayment of their allowance by the Federal Government.
The Minister of Education, Tunji Alausa, disclosed that the fund, representing part of the N8bn budgeted for the programme this year, had been released as the first tranche to address outstanding payments owed to the scholars.
“The Federal Ministry of Finance has approved N4bn to pay the first tranche, and I am working with the Minister of Finance to settle the remaining N4bn. Hopefully, in the next few weeks, they will receive all their allowances for 2025 and 2026.
According to him, efforts are ongoing between both ministries to ensure that all outstanding payments are cleared, with the balance expected to be released within four weeks.
The development follows a disturbing viral video from affected students across countries, including Russia, Serbia and Venezuela, who said delays in stipends spanning over a year had left many struggling to survive, with some resorting to menial jobs while others claimed female students had been forced into prostitution.
The outcry comes barely a year after the Federal Government terminated the scholarship programme and promised to ensure that current students are funded to complete their studies.
In 2025, the minister cited inefficiency and misallocation of national resources as reasons for terminating the programme, following similar complaints from previous beneficiaries.
The programme, established through diplomatic partnerships, had enabled Nigerian students to study in countries such as China, Russia, Hungary, Morocco, Algeria, Egypt and Serbia.
He explained that the scheme had become unsustainable, noting that the government planned to spend about N9bn on just 1,200 students in 2025.
However, the minister assured that all current beneficiaries of the scheme would continue to receive full government support until they complete their studies and return to Nigeria.
Despite assurances that current beneficiaries would not be affected, several students said they had not received stipends for over two years, leaving them stranded.
In the viral video, about 16 Nigerian scholars in Russia appealed to the government for urgent intervention, describing their situation as dire.
One of the students, a fifth-year medical student in Rostov, said many had been pushed into extreme conditions to survive.
A student leader in Russia, who spoke on condition of anonymity, confirmed the development recently, lamenting that the rising cost of living and currency challenges had worsened their situation.
She added that restrictions on student work permits in some countries further limit their ability to earn income.
Another student in Venezuela described the situation as abandonment, noting that scholars from other countries receive regular support from their governments.
He said, “It is only Nigerians that are abandoned. Other countries like Mozambique, Burkina Faso, and Brazil, send delegates to check on their students and pay them, but no one comes from Nigeria.
A parent of an affected scholar, who spoke anonymously with our correspondent, said relevant government agencies had been engaged to facilitate the payment.
“The situation requires prompt attention. These children were sent abroad through a government programme. There have been delays in stipends despite repeated appeals to the Ministry of Finance, Ministry of Education and other agencies.”
The Federal Government had earlier, in January, dismissed claims that Nigerian scholarship students in Morocco were abandoned, following a viral video that showed some students facing hardship, including homelessness and lack of medical support.
The video, shared on X by activist Martins Otse, featured interviews with Nigerian students in Morocco who alleged they had gone for years without receiving financial support despite being beneficiaries of government scholarships.
Reacting, the Federal Ministry of Education, in a statement signed by its Director of Press and Public Relations, Boriowo Folasade, insisted that no student on a valid Federal Government scholarship had been neglected.
Alausa was quoted as saying that all beneficiaries enrolled under the Bilateral Education Scholarship Programme before 2024 had received payments up to the 2024 budget year in line with government obligations.
The statement noted that any delays in outstanding payments were due to fiscal constraints and were being addressed through ongoing engagements between the Ministry of Education and the Ministry of Finance.
Education
NCE Applicants with Four Credits Exempted From UTME – Alausa
The Federal Government has approved exemption of candidates seeking admission into the National Certificate in Education (NCE) programme with a minimum of four credits from sitting for the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME).
The Minister of Education, Dr.
Tunji Alausa, announced the policy on Monday in Abuja, at the 2026 Policy Meeting on Admissions into Tertiary Institutions organised by the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB).The event also featured the 6th Edition of the National Tertiary Admissions Performance-Merit (NATAP-M) awards.
Alausa said the decision followed consultations with stakeholders aimed at expanding access to teacher education and strengthening enrollment in Colleges of Education (CoE) nationwide.
He explained that eligible candidates would, however, be required to register with JAMB for proper screening, verification and issuance of admission letters through the Central Admissions Processing System (CAPS).
According to him, the exemption is part of deliberate reforms to harness the admission capacity of colleges of education, particularly within local communities.
“Accordingly, candidates seeking admission into the NCE programme, who possess a minimum of four credit passes, will no longer be required to sit for the UTME.
“However, it is imperative to emphasise that such candidates shall mandatorily register with JAMB, and their credentials shall be duly screened, verified, and certified for the issuance of admission letters thr“In recognition of this reality, the Federal Ministry of Education, in consultation with relevant stakeholders, has taken a deliberate policy position.
ough CAPS, in accordance with extant regulations.”
The minister added that the exemption would also apply to candidates seeking admission into National Diploma programmes in non-technology agricultural and agriculture-related courses.
He said the measure was designed to ease pressure associated with UTME, while encouraging participation in critical sectors essential to national development.
He reiterated that admissions conducted outside CAPS remained illegal and would not be recognised by the government.
He also warned that institutions violating established admission procedures risked sanctions, including suspension of operating licences where applicable.
Alausa reaffirmed the government’s position on 16 years as the minimum admission age into tertiary institutions, noting that the decision aimed at maintaining inclusivity and academic readiness.
He noted that the federal government was implementing wide-ranging reforms in the education sector focused on access, quality, governance and accountability.
He commended JAMB for deploying technology-driven solutions that enhanced fairness and credibility in the admissions process.
He added that efforts were ongoing to deepen inclusion for Persons living With Disabilities through application fee waivers and targeted support initiatives.
“This initiative is not only humane but also a powerful affirmation of our national commitment to equity and equal opportunity.
“The increasing participation of candidates with disabilities in our examinations and admissions processes is clear evidence that when barriers are removed, potential is unleashed,” Alausa said.
The minister further disclosed that the government was advancing digital transformation in education through expanded computer-based testing and integration of artificial intelligence and emerging technologies into curricula.
He said the federal government had equally achieved progress in stabilising the university system, following successful renegotiation of agreements aimed at ensuring uninterrupted academic calendars.
Alausa reaffirmed the government’s commitment to combating examination malpractice through strengthened verification systems and enhanced collaboration among relevant agencies.
He urged stakeholders to uphold integrity and fairness in admissions decisions, noting that outcomes of the policy meeting would affect millions of Nigerian youths seeking tertiary education opportunities.


