Connect with us

Education

Association seeks increased welfare for teachers

Published

on

Share

The Association of Nursery and Primary Education Instructors in Nigeria (ANPEIN) has appealed to the federal and state governments to increase the welfare package of teachers without further delay.

Mr Sunday Fowowe, the National President of ANPEIN, made the plea in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Thursday in Lagos, to celebrate the World Teachers’ Day.

The World Teachers’ Day is celebrated annually all over the world on October 5 to show gratitute to teachers and educators.

The theme for the 2023 World Teachers’ Day is: “The Teachers We Need for the Education We Want: The Global Imperative to Reverse the Teacher Shortage.

Fowowe stressed the need for an increased welfare package by the current administration for teachers to boost their morale and the education system.

“A transformed education system begins with investing in our teachers, empowering them to inspire, innovate, and ignite the flames of curiosity in our students’ hearts.

“Today serves as a momentous reminder of the immense significance teachers hold in shaping our society, our future, and most importantly, our children’s lives.

“No doubt, education is the cornerstone of any nation’s progress, and teachers are the architects of this foundation.
“They mould the minds of the next generation, instilling knowledge, values, and the skills needed to navigate the complex world that awaits them,” he said.

Fowowe added that this year’s theme underscores the profound impact teachers had in not only transmitting knowledge but in nurturing creativity, critical thinking, and problem-solving abilities within their students.

“They are the catalysts for change, the torchbearers of progress, and the unsung heroes who tirelessly work towards a brighter future for our nation,” he said.

Fowowe also highlighted few key areas where transformation in education begins with the teacher.

“Teachers are the pioneers of innovative teaching methods, adapting to the ever-evolving educational landscape, incorporating technology and modern pedagogical techniques to engage and inspire students.

“Teachers play a pivotal role in fostering inclusivity and embracing diversity within the classroom.

“Continuous learning is essential for teachers to stay updated with the latest educational trends. It’s imperative that we support and invest in the professional development of our educators.

“Teachers are not isolated figures but integral parts of the community and encouraging teacher-parent-community partnerships is vital for the holistic development of our students

Education

FG Okays N4bn to Settle Stranded Nigerian Scholars’ Allowances

Published

on

Share

The Federal Government has approved N4bn for the payment of allowances to Nigerian students studying abroad under the Bilateral Education Agreement.

The approval follows outcries from the beneficiaries who had lamented that they were being pushed into forced labour and prostitution due to prolonged hardship occasioned by the nonpayment of their allowance by the Federal Government.

The Minister of Education, Tunji Alausa, disclosed that the fund, representing part of the N8bn budgeted for the programme this year, had been released as the first tranche to address outstanding payments owed to the scholars.

“The Federal Ministry of Finance has approved N4bn to pay the first tranche, and I am working with the Minister of Finance to settle the remaining N4bn. Hopefully, in the next few weeks, they will receive all their allowances for 2025 and 2026.

According to him, efforts are ongoing between both ministries to ensure that all outstanding payments are cleared, with the balance expected to be released within four weeks.

The development follows a disturbing viral video from affected students across countries, including Russia, Serbia and Venezuela, who said delays in stipends spanning over a year had left many struggling to survive, with some resorting to menial jobs while others claimed female students had been forced into prostitution.

The outcry comes barely a year after the Federal Government terminated the scholarship programme and promised to ensure that current students are funded to complete their studies.

In 2025, the minister cited inefficiency and misallocation of national resources as reasons for terminating the programme, following similar complaints from previous beneficiaries.

The programme, established through diplomatic partnerships, had enabled Nigerian students to study in countries such as China, Russia, Hungary, Morocco, Algeria, Egypt and Serbia.

He explained that the scheme had become unsustainable, noting that the government planned to spend about N9bn on just 1,200 students in 2025.

However, the minister assured that all current beneficiaries of the scheme would continue to receive full government support until they complete their studies and return to Nigeria.

Despite assurances that current beneficiaries would not be affected, several students said they had not received stipends for over two years, leaving them stranded.

In the viral video, about 16 Nigerian scholars in Russia appealed to the government for urgent intervention, describing their situation as dire.

One of the students, a fifth-year medical student in Rostov, said many had been pushed into extreme conditions to survive.

A student leader in Russia, who spoke on condition of anonymity, confirmed the development recently, lamenting that the rising cost of living and currency challenges had worsened their situation.

She added that restrictions on student work permits in some countries further limit their ability to earn income.

Another student in Venezuela described the situation as abandonment, noting that scholars from other countries receive regular support from their governments.

He said, “It is only Nigerians that are abandoned. Other countries like Mozambique, Burkina Faso, and Brazil, send delegates to check on their students and pay them, but no one comes from Nigeria.

A parent of an affected scholar, who spoke anonymously with our correspondent, said relevant government agencies had been engaged to facilitate the payment.

“The situation requires prompt attention. These children were sent abroad through a government programme. There have been delays in stipends despite repeated appeals to the Ministry of Finance, Ministry of Education and other agencies.”

The Federal Government had earlier, in January, dismissed claims that Nigerian scholarship students in Morocco were abandoned, following a viral video that showed some students facing hardship, including homelessness and lack of medical support.

The video, shared on X by activist Martins Otse, featured interviews with Nigerian students in Morocco who alleged they had gone for years without receiving financial support despite being beneficiaries of government scholarships.

Reacting, the Federal Ministry of Education, in a statement signed by its Director of Press and Public Relations, Boriowo Folasade, insisted that no student on a valid Federal Government scholarship had been neglected.

Alausa was quoted as saying that all beneficiaries enrolled under the Bilateral Education Scholarship Programme before 2024 had received payments up to the 2024 budget year in line with government obligations.

The statement noted that any delays in outstanding payments were due to fiscal constraints and were being addressed through ongoing engagements between the Ministry of Education and the Ministry of Finance.

Continue Reading

Education

FG Okays N4bn to Settle Stranded Nigerian Scholars’ Allowances

Published

on

Share

The Federal Government has approved N4bn for the payment of allowances to Nigerian students studying abroad under the Bilateral Education Agreement.

The approval follows outcries from the beneficiaries who had lamented that they were being pushed into forced labour and prostitution due to prolonged hardship occasioned by the nonpayment of their allowance by the Federal Government.

The Minister of Education, Tunji Alausa, disclosed that the fund, representing part of the N8bn budgeted for the programme this year, had been released as the first tranche to address outstanding payments owed to the scholars.

“The Federal Ministry of Finance has approved N4bn to pay the first tranche, and I am working with the Minister of Finance to settle the remaining N4bn. Hopefully, in the next few weeks, they will receive all their allowances for 2025 and 2026.

According to him, efforts are ongoing between both ministries to ensure that all outstanding payments are cleared, with the balance expected to be released within four weeks.

The development follows a disturbing viral video from affected students across countries, including Russia, Serbia and Venezuela, who said delays in stipends spanning over a year had left many struggling to survive, with some resorting to menial jobs while others claimed female students had been forced into prostitution.

The outcry comes barely a year after the Federal Government terminated the scholarship programme and promised to ensure that current students are funded to complete their studies.

In 2025, the minister cited inefficiency and misallocation of national resources as reasons for terminating the programme, following similar complaints from previous beneficiaries.

The programme, established through diplomatic partnerships, had enabled Nigerian students to study in countries such as China, Russia, Hungary, Morocco, Algeria, Egypt and Serbia.

He explained that the scheme had become unsustainable, noting that the government planned to spend about N9bn on just 1,200 students in 2025.

However, the minister assured that all current beneficiaries of the scheme would continue to receive full government support until they complete their studies and return to Nigeria.

Despite assurances that current beneficiaries would not be affected, several students said they had not received stipends for over two years, leaving them stranded.

In the viral video, about 16 Nigerian scholars in Russia appealed to the government for urgent intervention, describing their situation as dire.

One of the students, a fifth-year medical student in Rostov, said many had been pushed into extreme conditions to survive.

A student leader in Russia, who spoke on condition of anonymity, confirmed the development recently, lamenting that the rising cost of living and currency challenges had worsened their situation.

She added that restrictions on student work permits in some countries further limit their ability to earn income.

Another student in Venezuela described the situation as abandonment, noting that scholars from other countries receive regular support from their governments.

He said, “It is only Nigerians that are abandoned. Other countries like Mozambique, Burkina Faso, and Brazil, send delegates to check on their students and pay them, but no one comes from Nigeria.

A parent of an affected scholar, who spoke anonymously with our correspondent, said relevant government agencies had been engaged to facilitate the payment.

“The situation requires prompt attention. These children were sent abroad through a government programme. There have been delays in stipends despite repeated appeals to the Ministry of Finance, Ministry of Education and other agencies.”

The Federal Government had earlier, in January, dismissed claims that Nigerian scholarship students in Morocco were abandoned, following a viral video that showed some students facing hardship, including homelessness and lack of medical support.

The video, shared on X by activist Martins Otse, featured interviews with Nigerian students in Morocco who alleged they had gone for years without receiving financial support despite being beneficiaries of government scholarships.

Reacting, the Federal Ministry of Education, in a statement signed by its Director of Press and Public Relations, Boriowo Folasade, insisted that no student on a valid Federal Government scholarship had been neglected.

Alausa was quoted as saying that all beneficiaries enrolled under the Bilateral Education Scholarship Programme before 2024 had received payments up to the 2024 budget year in line with government obligations.

The statement noted that any delays in outstanding payments were due to fiscal constraints and were being addressed through ongoing engagements between the Ministry of Education and the Ministry of Finance.

Continue Reading

Education

NCE Applicants with Four Credits Exempted From UTME – Alausa

Published

on

Share

The Federal Government has approved exemption of candidates seeking admission into the National Certificate in Education (NCE) programme with a minimum of four credits from sitting for the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME).

The Minister of Education, Dr.

Tunji Alausa, announced the policy on Monday in Abuja, at the 2026 Policy Meeting on Admissions into Tertiary Institutions organised by the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB).

The event also featured the 6th Edition of the National Tertiary Admissions Performance-Merit (NATAP-M) awards.

Alausa said the decision followed consultations with stakeholders aimed at expanding access to teacher education and strengthening enrollment in Colleges of Education (CoE) nationwide.

He explained that eligible candidates would, however, be required to register with JAMB for proper screening, verification and issuance of admission letters through the Central Admissions Processing System (CAPS).

According to him, the exemption is part of deliberate reforms to harness the admission capacity of colleges of education, particularly within local communities.

“Accordingly, candidates seeking admission into the NCE programme, who possess a minimum of four credit passes, will no longer be required to sit for the UTME.

“However, it is imperative to emphasise that such candidates shall mandatorily register with JAMB, and their credentials shall be duly screened, verified, and certified for the issuance of admission letters thr“In recognition of this reality, the Federal Ministry of Education, in consultation with relevant stakeholders, has taken a deliberate policy position.

ough CAPS, in accordance with extant regulations.”

The minister added that the exemption would also apply to candidates seeking admission into National Diploma programmes in non-technology agricultural and agriculture-related courses.

He said the measure was designed to ease pressure associated with UTME, while encouraging participation in critical sectors essential to national development.

He reiterated that admissions conducted outside CAPS remained illegal and would not be recognised by the government.

He also warned that institutions violating established admission procedures risked sanctions, including suspension of operating licences where applicable.

Alausa reaffirmed the government’s position on 16 years as the minimum admission age into tertiary institutions, noting that the decision aimed at maintaining inclusivity and academic readiness.

He noted that the federal government was implementing wide-ranging reforms in the education sector focused on access, quality, governance and accountability.

He commended JAMB for deploying technology-driven solutions that enhanced fairness and credibility in the admissions process.

He added that efforts were ongoing to deepen inclusion for Persons living With Disabilities through application fee waivers and targeted support initiatives.

“This initiative is not only humane but also a powerful affirmation of our national commitment to equity and equal opportunity.

“The increasing participation of candidates with disabilities in our examinations and admissions processes is clear evidence that when barriers are removed, potential is unleashed,” Alausa said.

The minister further disclosed that the government was advancing digital transformation in education through expanded computer-based testing and integration of artificial intelligence and emerging technologies into curricula.

He said the federal government had equally achieved progress in stabilising the university system, following successful renegotiation of agreements aimed at ensuring uninterrupted academic calendars.

Alausa reaffirmed the government’s commitment to combating examination malpractice through strengthened verification systems and enhanced collaboration among relevant agencies.

He urged stakeholders to uphold integrity and fairness in admissions decisions, noting that outcomes of the policy meeting would affect millions of Nigerian youths seeking tertiary education opportunities.

Continue Reading

Advertisement

Top Stories

Metro2 days ago

Flood: NEMA Lists 11 Niger LGAs as High-risk Areas

ShareThe National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) has identified 11 Local Government Areas (LGAs) in Niger as high flood-risk zones ahead of the 2026 rainy season. Director-General of NEMA,...

SPORTS2 days ago

DR Congo Cancels World Cup Training Camp over Ebola Outbreak

ShareThe Democratic Republic of Congo has cancelled its pre-World Cup training camp in the capital, Kinshasa, because of an Ebola outbreak in the east...

Foreign News2 days ago

Gonorrhoea, Syphilis Hit Record Levels in Europe

ShareSexually transmitted infections (STIs) including gonorrhoea and syphilis have hit record levels in Europe, according to new data. The European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC)...

NEWS2 days ago

Tinubu Appoints Aina as JAMB Registrar

SharePresident Bola Tinubu has appointed Prof. Segun Aina as the new Registrar of the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB), succeeding Prof. Is-haq Oloyede. Oloyede’s tenure expires on...

NEWS2 days ago

Nursing Council Inducts First 57 Benue Varsity Graduates

ShareFrom Attah Ede, Makurdi Nursing and Midwifery Council of Nigeria (N&MCN), on Thursday, inducted 57 maiden graduates of the Department of Nursing Science of the Rev. Fr....

NEWS2 days ago

DisCos Meter 241,590 Customers in Two Months –NERC

ShareThe Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) on Thursday said that Electricity Distribution Companies (DisCos) metered a total of 241,590 customers...

NEWS2 days ago

No Plan to Rename Nigeria, Abolish Shariah Law — Presidency

ShareBy David Torough, Abuja The Presidency has dismissed as false and misleading reports claiming that President Bola Tinubu plans to...

NEWS2 days ago

APC Primaries: Uba Sani, Bago, Lawal, Aliyu, Namadi Clinch Tickets

ShareBy David Torough, Abuja The All Progressives Congress (APC) on Thursday recorded major political developments across several states as governors...

NEWS3 days ago

Organization Raises the Alarm over Rising Insecurity in Kogi East

ShareFrom Joseph Amedu, Lokoja The Ukomu Igala Organization has cried out over the rising cases of insecurity – banditry, kidnapping and brutal killings involving...

SPORTS3 days ago

Nigeria Intensify Prep Ahead Canada Squash Tourney

ShareThe Nigeria Squash Federation has stepped up preparations ahead of the 2026 World Junior Team Squash Championship scheduled to take place in Ontario, Canada, from...