Economy
Buhari Constitutes Committee to Assess COVID-19 Effect on Economy

By Mathew Dadiya, Abuja
In a prompt effort to curtail the impact of the COVID-19 otherwise known as Coronavirus on the Nigerian economy with the plunge in the global oil prices from $53 last week to $35, President Muhammadu Buhari has constituted an economic committee to review the oil benchmark in the 2020 budget.
The committee which is chaired by the Minister of Finance, Budget and National Planning, Mrs Ahmed had the Minister of State, Petroleum Resources, Timipre Sylva, Minister of State, Budget and National Planning, Prince Clement Agba, Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Godwin Emefiele and the Group Managing Director of Nigeria National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC), Mela Kyari as members.
Speaking with State House correspondents on Monday, after meeting with President Buhari at the President Villa, Abuja, the Minister of Finance, Budget and National Planning disclosed that the committee would review the $57 crude oil price benchmark in the budget and might reduce the 2020 budget.
She said: “Mr. President has formed us into a committee with the minister of State, Petroleum Resources, the Central Bank governor, GMD NNPC and myself as members.
“Our mandate is to make a very quick assessment of the impact of this coronavirus on the economy especially as it effects the crude oil price.
“We will be writing a report and brief Mr. President tomorrow (Tuesday) or Wednesday morning. After that we will also have more substantial information for the press.
“It is very clear that we will have to revisit crude oil benchmark price that we have of $57 per barrel. We have to revisit it and lower the price. Where it will be lowered is the subject of this committee. What the impact will be on that is that there will be reduce revenue to the budget at it will cut the size of the budget. The quantum of the cut is what we are supposed to assess as a committee.”
Asked if Nigeria intends to dialogue with Russia and other OPEC+ members to cutdown oil output, the Minister of State Petroleum, Timipre Sylva, said, “we as a member of OPEC are not in a position to take that engagement on our own unilaterally. There was a disagreement between OPEC and OPEC+, it’s not just Russia, but the biggest producers within OPEC and OPEC+ which are Saudi Arabia and Russia.
“We believe that in the coming days when all of us would have begun to see effect of the reduction of prices, OPEC and OPEC+ might need to meet again and reconsider our positions.
Meanwhile, Sylva said that they expected also that a lot of discussions were going on at the level of Saudi Arabia and Russia, but as Nigeria, “we are not in a position to begin to engage members on this matter.”
Oil prices suffered their biggest fall since the day in 1991 when American forces launched air strikes on Iraqi troops following their invasion of Kuwait.
Monday’s crash spooked markets crash that were already freaking out about the impact of the coronavirus pandemic on the global economy and demand for oil. Brent crude futures, the global oil benchmark, were down 22%, last trading at $35.45 per barrel. US oil is trading at $33.15 per barrel, a decline of nearly 20%
Here are five things you need to know:
Why are oil prices crashing?
Saudi Arabia, the world’s top exporter, launched a price war over the weekend. The move followed the imposition of an alliance between the OPEC cartel, led by Saudi Arabia, and Russia.
The kingdom and Russia came together to form the so-called OPEC+ alliance in 2016 after oil prices plunged to $30 a barrel. Since then, the two leading exporters have orchestrated supply cuts of 2.1 million barrels per day. Saudi Arabia wanted to increase that number to 3.6 million barrels through 2020 to take account of weaker consumption.
But Russian President Vladimir Putin, worried about ceding too much ground to American oil producers, refused to go along with the plan and his energy minister, Alexander Novak on Friday signaled a fierce battle to come for market share when he said countries could produce as much as they please from April 1.
Why did Saudi launch a price war?
Simmering differences over how best to manage global oil markets spilled into the open at a meeting between OPEC and Russia in Vienna on Friday.
CNN Business quoted sources as saying that after Russia said it was ditching the alliance, Saudi Arabia warned it would live to regret the decision.
Moscow had become tired of cutting production to stabilize prices and felt that the policy of supply restraint gave more room for US shale companies to grow. Mikhail Leontiev, a spokesperson for Russian state oil company Rosneft, described the OPEC+ deal as “masochism.”
“By yielding our own markets, we remove cheap Arab and Russian oil to clear a place for expensive US shale oil and ensure the effectiveness of its production,” he told Russian state media on Sunday.
America has become the number one oil producer in the world and is expected to pump about 13 million barrels a day in the first quarter of this year.
Over the weekend, Saudi Arabia decided to fight for greater market share by slashing the prices its preferred customers pay by between $4-$7 a barrel. The kingdom is also reportedly planning to lift production to over 10 million barrels a day.
What does coronavirus have to do with all of this?
The coronavirus has undermined energy demand worldwide, but especially in China, which is now the number one importer of crude oil, guzzling roughly 10 million barrels a day.
Economy
Naira Gains as CBN Reforms Show Impact

The Naira appreciated in the official market on Friday, trading at N1,492.49 against the Dollar. Data from the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) website showed the Naira gained N6.57. This marks a 0.44 per cent increase compared to Thursday, Feb. 27, when it closed at N1,499.07 to the Dollar.
The local currency ended Wednesday’s trading at N1,499. 11 against the Dollar. The Naira has remained relatively stable following CBN reforms aimed at ensuring transparency in the Foreign Exchange (FX) market. Analysts have praised the CBN for the steady progress of the Naira since December 2024. However, Prof. Jonathan Aremu, a retired CBN Director, has warned that it is too soon to celebrate. Aremu, a Professor of International Economic Relations at Covenant University, is also a Regional Expert on Trade and Investment for ECOWAS. Speaking to newsmen on Friday, Aremu called for increased production to sustain the Naira’s gains. He described the currency’s steady appreciation against the Dollar as a positive development. “But it may not be time to celebrate yet because, within this period, we have also seen moments when the Naira depreciated,” he said. He urged the CBN to focus on boosting productive activity in the economy to maintain stability. According to him, the apex bank should look beyond interest rates and consider other factors influencing production and liquidity. “The quantity theory of money states that money supply and population value must equal price and transaction volume in the economy. “If policy only targets money supply without increasing transactions, the expected appreciation of the Naira will not materialise. “The economy needs a higher volume of goods and services. Many goods are available, but their prices depend on supply and demand. “Focusing only on monetary policy is insufficient. More emphasis should be placed on increasing production,” he said. He added that expanding production will further reduce the value of foreign currencies, strengthening the Naira. Aremu noted that foreign exchange is depreciating partly because people cannot afford to buy due to economic conditions. “The CBN should not only focus on reducing money supply but also support the availability of quality goods and services,” he said. Also, Cordros Securities, in its weekly economic update on Friday, attributed the Naira’s appreciation to reduced demand pressure in spite of declining foreign exchange (FX) reserves. The report noted that FX reserves fell by $241.50 million week-on-week to $38.46 billion as of Feb. 27, marking the seventh consecutive week of decline. “We expect FX liquidity to remain strong as a more efficient market and improved confidence continue to support inflows from autonomous sources,” the report stated. “The CBN is also expected to intervene during periods of high volatility, ensuring the Naira remains stable in the near term,” it added. (NAN)Economy
Naira Ends Week Stronger Against Dollar, Gaining N11.17

The Naira further appreciated in the official market on Friday, trading at N1,474.78 to the Dollar.
Data from the FMDQ Securities Exchange official forex trading platform revealed that the Naira gained N11.17.
This represents a 0.7 per cent increase compared to the previous day’s trading figure on Thursday, when the local currency closed at N1,485.
95 to the Dollar.Trading in the Investors and Exporters (I&E) Forex window on Friday saw a high of N1,495.
01 and a low of N1,447.50.The Naira has remained stable against the US Dollar since December 2024, supported by sustained reforms from the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN).
The reforms aimed at ensuring transparency in the foreign exchange (FX) market.
CBN Governor Olayemi Cardoso, speaking in Abuja on Thursday at the 2025 Monetary Policy Forum, stated that recent reforms in the FX segment had continued to attract foreign investments.
Cardoso reassured that the apex bank would sustain efforts to ensure continued inflows. (NAN)
Economy
CBN Approves Listing of CFA on NXP forms for Export Repatriation Proceed

The Nigeria Export Promotion Council (NEPC) says that Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has approved CFA Franc to be captured on Nigeria Export Proceed (NXP) forms for the repatriation of export proceeds.
Mrs Nonye Ayeni, Executive Director of the NEPC, disclosed this while addressing newsmen on the Non-Oil Export Performance for the year 2024, in Abuja on Friday.
Ayeni said that the council had engaged the CBN on the inclusion of the CFA Franc, adding that it was a dominant currency in cross border trading.
She said that the currency was one of the currencies to be received as export proceeds by the bankers.
“I am delighted to inform you that the CBN has magnanimously approved CFA to be captured on NXP forms for the repatriation of export proceeds.
“We will be working with CBN and the banks to ensure full implementation.
“I must say that this is a remarkable breakthrough for the council and further reaffirms the impact of the council’s current flagship programme,” she said.
Ayeni said that the council distributed hybrid seedlings and farm inputs to over 1,200 farmers across the country.
She added that the council has also distributed sesame, Hibiscus and farm input in the north, cashew in the west and palm seedlings in the east.
She said that the effort was to enhance the capacity of farmers, and processors and increasing production capacity of the farmers.
The executive director said that the NEPC, under the “Go Global, Go for Certification” campaign, was determined to enhance the quality of Made-in-Nigeria products.
According to her, the council commenced the certification of 400 Small and Mediumsized Enterprise (SME) exporters.
“I am delighted to inform you that we have concluded on some and the balance are currently undergoing the certification process.
“At the end of the exercise, a total of 855 SMEs will have benefited from the scheme between the year 2022 to year 2025.
She said that the scheme aimed to enable the SMEs to acquire international certification to access niche markets.
Ayeni also noted that through the council’s regional and state offices initiated the process of mainstreaming informal border trade.
She said that the effort would increase foreign exchange earnings and help to capture export data for the country.
“Interactive sessions were held with several trade associations operating within some borders”.
According to her, at the end of the exercise, no fewer than 1,116 operators in the informal sector were trained in formalising export trade.
“We will build on this,” she assured. (NAN)