Connect with us

DEFENCE

CDS Reaffirms Commitment to Upholding Principles Guiding Armed Forces

Published

on

Share

The Chief of Defence Staff, Gen. Christopher Musa, on Saturday night in Abuja reaffirmed his commitment to upholding the ideals and principles guiding the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

Musa said this at the 37 Regular Course 38th anniversary of gratitude and the investiture of immediate past Chief of Army Staff, retired Lt.

-Gen.
Faruk Yahaya, as the Grand Patron of the Course.

He expressed his belief that the success of the nation’s military life, not only in its operational progress but also in the unwavering support and trust of its veterans had been the bedrock of the nation’s defence.

“I remain committed to upholding the ideals and principles that have guided our armed forces throughout history.

“It is my solemn duty to ensure that the sacrifices made by each and every member of the service regular courses are duly acknowledged,” he said.

He added that the dedication and service of the armed forces veterans to the country, as well as their commitment to the ideals of duty, honour and loyalty had been source of encouragement.

“This is because they had been guarding the sovereignty of the country and protecting its citizens.

“Your actions both on and off the battlefield have set the highest standards of professionalism and integrity, serving as a channel example for all who have followed in your footsteps.

“Moreover, as we reflect upon the challenges faced by our Armed Forces throughout these years, it is impossible to overlook the pivotal role some regular course members have played in shaping the course of our military history.

“Your collective expert as strategic acumen and operational brilliance has been instrumental in ensuring the safety and security of our great nation.

“Nigeria stands tall today as a beacon of peace and stability in our region,” he said.

Lauding the immediate past COAS, Musa said that Yahaya’s influence and impact had continued to reverberate throughout the nation’s Armed Forces.

“The knowledge and experiences you have shared with your subordinates have shaped, the next generation of military leaders instilling in them the values of courage, discipline and resilience.

“You enduring legacy is not only measured by the battles fought and won, but also by the lives you have touched and indomitable spirit you have instilled in the military ranks.

“In recognising your remarkable achievement, it is important to acknowledge that the challenges we face in the realm of defence and security are ever evolving as we navigate an increasingly complex and interconnected wall.

“It is imperative therefore that we continue to learn from wisdom and experiences from those who came before us.

“Your insights and counsels remain invaluable assets, and I assure you that your voice will continue to be heard and respected as we forge ahead in safeguarding our nation’s future,” he said.

Yahaya in his remarks appreciated his course mates for the honour done to him.

He said that the gesture of oneness and togetherness among the course 37 members had come a long way and appealed that it should not only be sustained but improved upon

“This gesture of oneness and togetherness have come a long way. We are talking about four decades of togetherness.

“So we should not relent but to continue and even seek better ways or more ways of improving in what we are doing. Time is changing, so we must move with time upon our mind and our hearts, not forgetting the essence.

“While this organisation is here. Every time we must reflect why and then continue to seek for improvement,” the former COAS said.

Earlier, the chairman of the occasion, retired Admiral Ola Sa’ad Ibrahim, former Chief of Defence Staff, said that the Nigerian Defence Academy (NDA), had produced quality number of armed forces for the country.

He also said that the country had also nurtured a group of young Nigerians as military personnel, because while at NDA they picked degrees.

“So the modern day officers of the country forces are well educated. They are well connected with the needs of the community they have sworn to serve,” he said.

Also, Maj.-Gen. Victor Ezugwu, President, 37 Regular Course, said that that the occasion was to celebrate and appreciate the former COAS for serving and representing them well.

He noted that the course had produced the highest number of two star generals in the history of the armed forces of Nigeria from 1964 to date.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), reports that Mrs Salamatu Faruk-Yahaya was also invested as the Queen Mother of the 37 Regular Course, while Mrs Appolonia Ezugwu was invested as the Matron. (NAN)

DEFENCE

Army Rescues Nine Kidnap Victims, Foils Bandit Ambushes in Three States

Published

on

Share

By David Torough, Abuja

Nigerian Army Troops  recorded fresh operational gains against kidnappers, bandits and terrorists in Kogi, Plateau and Kebbi states.

The Troops  rescued nine abducted commuters, foiled an ambush and recovered weapons and other items linked to criminal groups.

In Kogi State, Troops deployed at Patrol Base Itobe rescued nine commuters abducted by suspected kidnappers along the Ajaokuta–Itobe Road in Ofu Local Government Area.

The rescue followed a swift response to reports of an attack on commuters along the route.

On arriving at the scene, the troops found a Toyota Hiace bus and a Toyota Sienna vehicle abandoned by the roadside, with the passengers missing.

The soldiers subsequently launched a pursuit operation, following the route taken by the fleeing kidnappers towards the outskirts of Adumu Community in Dekina Local Government Area.

The Army said the troops engaged the kidnappers in a firefight, overwhelming the criminals and forcing them to abandon their captives before fleeing into the surrounding bush, with some suspected to have sustained gunshot wounds.

Nine victims were rescued in the operation, comprising two elderly men, two elderly women, four other adult males and an infant.

The victims were evacuated to safety and later handed over to the Nigeria Police, Itobe Area Command, for further action and reunification with their families.

The Army said troops had continued the pursuit of the fleeing kidnappers, while coordinated search operations were ongoing to rescue any remaining victims and apprehend those responsible for the attack.

In Plateau State, troops of Operation ENDURING PEACE also foiled an ambush by suspected bandits during a follow-up operation in Nwur Village, Langtang North Local Government Area.

The operation followed the arrest and interrogation of a suspected bandit, who provided intelligence on the location of a concealed weapon. Troops escorted the suspect to the area to facilitate recovery of the weapon.

However, as the soldiers approached the suspected hideout, members of the criminal group opened fire on them.

The troops responded with superior firepower, killing one of the attackers. The arrested suspect was also killed during the ensuing exchange of gunfire.

A subsequent search of the area led to the recovery of one AK-47 rifle, one AK-47 magazine and two rounds of 7.62mm Special ammunition, which were abandoned by fleeing members of the group.

The troops have continued operations in the area to track down other members of the suspected bandit group and deny them freedom of action.

Meanwhile, in Kebbi State, troops of Sector 2, Operation FANSAN YAMMA, ambushed members of the Lakurawa Terrorist Group who were reportedly moving towards Dandi Local Government Area to carry out an attack.

Acting on credible intelligence about the terrorists’ movement, the troops mobilised and laid a tactical ambush at a known crossing point near Uguwan Hassan village.

The troops made contact with the terrorists and engaged them with superior firepower, forcing the group to abandon its mission and retreat in disarray.

According to the Acting Director of Army Public Relations, Lieutenant Colonel Olayinka Osoba, troops recovered two motorcycles, mobile phones, T&T communication radios and a Nigerien identity card belonging to one of the fleeing terrorists from the Tilbiri Region of Niger Republic.

Osoba said the troops were maintaining aggressive patrols and actively pursuing the fleeing terrorists to safeguard communities in the area.

The latest operations form part of the military’s intensified campaign against kidnapping, banditry and terrorism across the country.

The Army urged members of the public to continue providing timely and credible information to security agencies to facilitate rapid responses to criminal activities.

It also reaffirmed its commitment, in collaboration with other security agencies, to protecting lives and property and restoring security in affected communities.

Continue Reading

DEFENCE

NSCDC Deploys 10,210 Personnel for 2026 Osun Election

Published

on

Share

The Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) has deployed 10,210 personnel to reinforce security during Saturday’s Osun governorship election.

This was contained in a statement by the corps’ Spokesperson, Babawale Afolabi, on Monday in Abuja.

Afolabi said that the personnel deployed comprised 10,000, operational officers while the remaining 210 were from intelligence and specialised tactical units.

He also said that 1,000 of the deployed personnel were drawn from 10 state commands of the corps.

He added that the Commandant General (CG), Ahmed Audi, had directed the deployment of specialised formations with capabilities suited for the security needs of the election.

Afolabi said that the deployment included men of the CG’s Special Intelligence Squad, Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) unit, Specialised Female Squad, Mining Marshals, Special Strike Force, Crack Squad and K9 unit.

”The specialised teams will complement the regular deployment through intelligence gathering, crime prevention, detection, protection of critical assets, crowd control and other security responsibilities within their respective areas of competence,” he said.

Audi assured the people of Osun that the NSCDC would remain professional, impartial and respectful of the rights of all residents throughout the electoral process.

“Our personnel have been properly briefed on the need to be professional, neutral and respectful in the discharge of their duties.

“In the light of the above the NSCDC in collaboration with other security agencies on election duty will not tolerate any activity intended to jeopardise the election process.

”Criminal minded persons and political thugs willing to disrupt the peaceful conduct of the election would face the wrath of the law as prescribed in the electoral act,” he said.

Meanwhile the Osun State Commandant of the corps, Igbalawole Sotiyo, has urged personnel in the state to remain apolitical, maintain strict neutrality and discharge their duties with the highest level of professionalism before, during and after the election.

Sotiyo said that the credibility of the corps and public confidence in its personnel would depend largely on their conduct throughout the electoral process.

He warned against actions capable of undermining the integrity of the corps or compromising the peaceful conduct of the election.

”I urge you not to put the name of the corps into disrepute. Be apolitical, maintain neutrality and respect fundamental human rights.

”Discharge your duties strictly in line with the corps’ Standard Operating Procedures and other extant laws guiding election security operations,” he advised.

The commandant also directed Area Commanders to ensure that personnel under their supervision remained disciplined, professional and responsive to security needs.

He described the NSCDC as a professional, non-partisan agency responsible for protecting lives and property, critical national assets and infrastructure, as well as supporting the maintenance of peace and public order.

He further urged personnel to exhibit civility and respect for the electorate, noting that the election was a constitutional exercise.

He said the role of security personnel was to provide a safe and enabling environment for citizens to exercise their franchise without fear or intimidation.

Sotiyo reiterated the command’s readiness to deploy personnel professionally and responsibly, stressing that the corps would not compromise its neutrality or constitutional responsibilities.

He urged the public to cooperate with security personnel and report suspicious activities through appropriate channels, assuring that the Command would remain vigilant before, during and after the election.

Continue Reading

DEFENCE

NAF Air Strike Kills 9 ISWAP Fighters, Top Commander in Borno

Published

on

Share

The Nigerian Air Force (NAF), has killed nine Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP) fighters in a precision air strike in Borno including a key commander responsible for escorting high-value members of the group.

This was contained in a statement on Sunday in Abuja, by the Director of Public Relations and Information, NAF headquarters, Air Commodore Ehimen Ejodame.

The operation, conducted on Saturday in the Sambisa Forest area, followed credible intelligence on terrorist movement and activities.

According to Ejodame, the air force deployed a Remotely Piloted Aircraft, RPA, to conduct Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance, ISR, on the area.

“The aircraft tracked a group of terrorists moving towards a suspected hideout.

“Following positive identification and confirmation of the target, NAF aircraft conducted a precision engagement on the location,” Ejodame said.

A subsequent battle damage assessment showed that the compound was heavily hit, with nine terrorists confirmed killed and several others wounded.

Among those neutralised was Abu Khalid Al Muhajir, described as a prominent ISWAP commander in charge of providing special security escorts for senior members of the group.

Ejodame said his elimination was a major setback for ISWAP, given his reported knowledge of routes, terrain and tactical movements linking major terrorist enclaves within Sambisa forest and surrounding areas.

Intelligence also indicated that some of the fighters affected by the strike were linked to elements suspected to have carried out the recent ambush of Nigerian troops along the Bita–Yamtage axis in Gwoza Local Government Area of Borno State.

He also said that the operation highlighted the growing effectiveness of air force intelligence-driven air campaigns, combining persistent ISR with precision strikes to detect and neutralise terrorists before they regroup.

“Beyond the immediate casualties, the operation is expected to disrupt ISWAP’s leadership protection arrangements, movement of high-value personnel and coordination of activities across its enclaves,” the statement added.

He reaffirmed NAF commitment to sustaining intelligence-led and precision air operations in close coordination with ground troops to degrade terrorist capabilities and secure communities in the North East.

Continue Reading

Advertisement

Top Stories

United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF)
NEWS11 hours ago

UNICEF Training: Communication experts charge media practitioners to champion child-rights protection

ShareFrom Attah Ede and Sylvia udegbunam, Port Harcourt Seasoned communication experts and veteran broadcasters, on Thursday, enjoined media practitioners both...

NEWS12 hours ago

UNICEF Trains Journalists on Ethical Reporting

ShareFrom Attah Ede and Sylvia Udegbunam, Port Harcourt The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF), on Wednesday, opened a two- day...

Entertainment/Arts/Culture19 hours ago

Grammy-winning Singer, Angelique Kidjo Immortalised on Hollywood Walk of Fame

ShareFive-time Grammy winner, Angelique Kidjo, has become the first African musician to be honoured with a star on the Hollywood...

Entertainment/Arts/Culture19 hours ago

Singers Wande Coal, Davido Clash over Unreleased Collaboration, ‘Come My Way’

ShareNigerian singers Wande Coal and Davido have clashed on social media over an unreleased collaboration,“Come My Way”. The disagreement was...

Entertainment/Arts/Culture19 hours ago

Tonto Dikeh to Renovate Churches in Birthday Tribute to Pastor Jerry Eze

ShareActress and humanitarian Tonto Dikeh has announced a church support initiative through The New Wine Prophetic Tabernacle to mark the...

Entertainment/Arts/Culture19 hours ago

BBNaija S11: Kamsy Reveals Plans after Reality Show Exit

ShareEvicted Big Brother Naija Season 11 housemate, Kamsy Uzoma, has revealed her plans for life after leaving the reality show,...

Entertainment/Arts/Culture19 hours ago

Bobrisky Slams Nigerians for Dragging Kaycee Luxury over NDLEA Arrest

ShareCrossdresser, Bobrisky, has blasted Nigerians dragging luxury shopper, Kaycee Luxury, online following his arrest by the National Drug Law Enforcement...

Entertainment/Arts/Culture19 hours ago

2Baba Teases New Album ‘Oldest Young Man’

ShareMusic icon Innocent Idibia, popularly known as 2Baba, has announced plans to release a new album titled ‘Oldest Young Man’....

POLITICS19 hours ago

2027 Elections: IGP Cautions Youths against Political Violence, Misinformation

ShareThe Inspector-General of Police, Olatunji Disu, has cautioned Nigerian youths against being used for political violence, misinformation and digital intimidation...

NEWS19 hours ago

Council Chairmen Urge Yoruba Heritage Preservation

ShareSome council chairmen in Lagos have urged residents to preserve Yoruba cultural heritage while celebrating the 2026 Isẹ̀ṣe Day. They...