Connect with us

NEWS

FEMD Raises Alarm over Rising Cases of Building Collapse in FCT

Published

on

Share

The Federal Capital Territory Emergency Management Department (FEMD) has raised alarm over increased incidences of building collapse, fire outbreak and flood in the territory.

The acting Director-General (D-G) of the department, Mrs Florence Wenegieme, raised the alarm during a press conference in Abuja on Wednesday.

Wenegieme said that the department had responded to seven emergencies between June 24 and July 13, out of which four were building collapses, flood incident, fire outbreak and attempted suicide.

She said that a flash flood occurred at Trademore Estate, Lugbe, on June 24 and a fire incident at old Karu Market on June 28.

She also said that the four building collapses included an incident on June 28 at Guzape District and another at Prince and Princess Estate, on June 28, followed by the incident at Nkwere Street, Garki on July 1.

She added that the recent building collapse was the incident at Kubwa Phase II on July 13, while a suicide attempt was averted at Aso TV/Radio Mast, Katampe on July 8.

The acting D-G blamed the developments on residents’ attitude of dumping waste on water ways, non-adherence to Fire Safety and Building Codes, use of substandard electrical materials and illegal electrical connections.

Other factors, she added, include storage of volatile substances in markets and homes, high use of combustible materials in building construction, activities of quacks in building construction, and use of sub-standard construction materials.

She further identified contributing factors as violation of building approval, carrying out maintenance work without regulatory approvals, and non-conduct of Environmental Impact Assessment before building construction among others.

On ways forward, Wenegieme called for the review of existing laws in the building industry to tackle the rising trend of building collapse like stiffer punishment for violators, especially when lives were lost.

She also called for the review of the Fire Safety Code to mandate the use of non-combustible materials in building construction to reduce risk of fire outbreaks.

“All developers should provide insurance cover to construction workers on site throughout the duration of the project.

“All buildings should be inspected by relevant authorities on completion to see if they meet minimum safety standards before they are certified for human habitation and other purposes.

“Responsible agencies should also make it mandatory for developers to submit professional certification of site engineers as part of securing building approval to eliminate the activities of quacks,” she said.

To discourage citizens against suicide, the acting D-G urged the National Orientation Agency to intensify campaign on civic responsibility to stimulate positive behavior and sense of patriotism among citizens.

She said that as part of disaster risk reduction, the department had been going round the city to ensure that structures removed for standing on waterways were not rebuilt.

She added that multi-disaster risk sensitisation and awareness campaigns were also ongoing, including jingles in TV and radio stations in different languages on issues of flood, fire outbreaks, building collapse and other potential emergencies.

“We have also temporarily closed the collapsed Dogon Gada box culvert and a Slip Road by Galadimawa roundabout to avoid loss of lives when it rains. These are flood-prone locations when it rains.

“We equally mounted flood warning signboards in flood prone locations and held strategic stakeholders meetings for prevention, mitigation and effective response to flood, building collapse, fire outbreaks, epidemics and other emergencies in the FCT.

“The department has also established local divers, disaster vanguards, town criers and disaster marshals and built their capacities for effective disaster response in their communities,” she said.

Wenegieme thanked the FCT Minister, Nyesom Wike, Coordinator of Abuja Metropolitan Management Council, Mr Felix Obuah and other stakeholders for their support to strengthen emergency response in the FCT. (NAN)

NEWS

Council Chairmen Urge Yoruba Heritage Preservation

Published

on

Share

Some council chairmen in Lagos have urged residents to preserve Yoruba cultural heritage while celebrating the 2026 Isẹ̀ṣe Day.

They made the call in separate statements made available to newsmen on Thursday in Lagos.

The chairmen felicitated traditional rulers, traditionalists, chieftains and residents, describing Isẹ̀ṣe as a sacred link to Yoruba ancestry.

They said the annual celebration offered an opportunity to reconnect with cultural roots, preserve traditions and strengthen communal identity.

Chairman, Kosofe Local Government, Moyosore Ogunlewe, said Isẹ̀ṣe allowed residents to reconnect with their roots and appreciate inherited cultural values.

“Today, we pause to honour Ìṣẹ̀ṣe, the sacred thread that binds us to our ancestors, our values and our identity,” he said.

Ogunlewe said Yoruba traditions were not relics of the past, but living wisdom that continued guiding community relationships and conflict resolution.

“Our traditions are not relics of the past; they are living wisdom, guiding how we treat one another,” he said.

He urged residents to embrace Yoruba culture proudly, teach it to their children and preserve it for future generations.

 “Let us continue to embrace our culture with pride, teach it to our children, and preserve it for those yet unborn,” he said.

The chairman wished residents a peaceful and memorable Isẹ̀ṣe Day celebration, urging continued appreciation of Yoruba cultural values.

Similarly, Ayodele Benson, Chairman, Imota Local Council Development Area, congratulated traditional institutions, rulers, chieftains, traditionalists and residents.

Benson said Isẹ̀ṣe Day provided an opportunity to reconnect with ancestral roots and preserve traditions that define the Yoruba people.

He commended residents for showcasing their customs, cultural expressions, creativity and artistry during the celebration.

“These traditions serve as a bridge between our past, present, and future, reminding us of the importance of preserving our heritage,” he said.

Benson also commended residents for maintaining peaceful coexistence despite religious differences, assuring them of his administration’s commitment to equal opportunities.

He urged residents to promote peace, unity, mutual respect and harmony while supporting Imota LCDA’s development and economic advancement.

 “I give thanks to the Almighty God for sparing our lives to witness another Isẹ̀ṣe Day,” he said.

Benson prayed that Yoruba cultural heritage would continue flourishing while bonds of unity and peaceful coexistence strengthened among residents.

“May our cultural heritage continue to flourish, and may the bonds of unity and peaceful coexistence among our people grow stronger,” he said.

He wished residents a happy Isẹ̀ṣe Day, while praying for peace, progress, prosperity and economic advancement in Imota and Nigeria.

Continue Reading

NEWS

NAICOM Revokes Universal Insurance Licence, Appoints Liquidator

Published

on

Share

 By Tony Obiechina, Abuja

National Insurance Commission (NAICOM) has revoked the certificate of registration of Universal Insurance Plc and appointed a receiver/provisional liquidator to oversee the winding-up of the company’s affairs.

The revocation took effect from 14th August, 2026, following the insurer’s failure to meet the prescribed Minimum Capital Requirement (MCR) applicable to its licence category within the stipulated compliance period.

In a notice dated 13th August and addressed to the chairman of the Board of Directors of Universal Insurance Plc, NAICOM stated that it took the action pursuant to the powers conferred on the commission under the Nigerian Insurance Industry Reform Act (NIIRA) 2025.

The commission subsequently appointed Ogbonna Chukwumerije, a partner at Pinheiro LP, as receiver/provisional liquidator of the insurance company.

Under the terms of his appointment, dated 14th August, Chukwumerije is required to immediately locate, recover, secure, and take possession of the assets of Universal Insurance Plc.

He is also mandated to compile, verify, and settle the company’s liabilities in accordance with NIIRA 2025, liaise with NAICOM regarding information available to the Commission, and submit periodic reports on the progress of the liquidation process.

NAICOM stated that the appointment was subject to the receiver executing a Deed of Appointment and complying with the terms of his engagement, as well as the relevant laws and regulations governing receivership and liquidation.

In a separate public notice dated 18 August 2026, Chukwumerije formally notified banks, financial institutions, policyholders, creditors, debtors, customers, agents, and the public of his appointment and the commencement of the receivership process.

He said the appointment followed NAICOM’s cancellation of Universal Insurance’s registration because it failed to meet the applicable minimum capital requirement.

According to the notice, the receiver is empowered under NIIRA 2025 and the terms of his appointment to assume control and management of Universal Insurance Plc.

He is also authorised to locate, recover, secure, and take possession of all company assets and to undertake the necessary measures for their preservation, protection, and realisation.

Chukwumerije further elaborated that he would compile, verify, and settle the company’s liabilities in accordance with NIIRA 2025, other relevant laws, and directives issued by NAICOM.

The receiver also warned stakeholders against dealing with the company or acting on instructions purportedly issued on its behalf without his authorisation.

Banks, financial institutions, policyholders, creditors, debtors, agents, customers, and the public were specifically instructed not to honour, process, recognise, or act upon any instruction, mandate, payment direction, withdrawal request, transfer instruction, or other communication purportedly issued on behalf of Universal Insurance Plc.

Such instructions would only be recognised if issued by him or by a person explicitly authorised in writing by him.

He directed all persons and institutions holding or dealing with the company’s assets, funds, records, policies, claims, liabilities, or other affairs to verify the authority of anyone claiming to act for Universal Insurance during the liquidation.

The receiver stated that only instructions bearing his official seal and stamp as a Legal Practitioner and Receiver/Provisional Liquidator, or those issued by persons duly authorised by him in writing, would be recognised concerning the company’s matters.

He also cautioned individuals and institutions against acting on instructions purportedly emanating from the company, its former officers, directors, employees, agents, or representatives unless he had duly authorised them.

Chukwumerije further directed anyone in possession, custody, or control of any asset, fund, document, book, record, policy, claim, or other property belonging to or relating to Universal Insurance Plc to cooperate fully with the receivership and comply with lawful requests and directives issued during the liquidation.

He stated that the notice took immediate effect and would remain in force throughout the liquidation process, subject to any further directives or notices issued by NAICOM or the receiver.

The lawyer also stated that the receivership aims to safeguard the company’s assets and ensure that valid claims are properly identified, assessed, and managed in accordance with applicable laws and regulations.

The documents did not disclose the total value of Universal Insurance’s outstanding liabilities, the number of affected policyholders, or the value of assets to be recovered.

The development is expected to trigger a comprehensive process to identify the company’s assets and liabilities and assess the status of outstanding obligations to policyholders, creditors, and other stakeholders.

The cancellation also coincides with NAICOM’s enforcement of minimum capital requirements applicable to insurance companies under Nigeria’s current regulatory framework.

With the appointment of a receiver/provisional liquidator, the responsibility for managing Universal Insurance’s affairs and dealing with its assets and liabilities now rests with Chukwumerije, subject to NIIRA 2025 and NAICOM’s oversight.

NAICOM’s appointment letter was signed by Olusegun Ayo Omosehin, Commissioner for Insurance and Chief Executive Officer of the Commission.

The receiver’s public notice was dated 18 August 2026.

Continue Reading

NEWS

Boat Capsizes, Claims 46 Passengers in Sokoto River

Published

on

Share

From Ifeanyichukwu Nwannah, Gusau

At least 46 people have died after a boat carrying 77 passengers capsized in Gorau community, Goronyo Local Government Area of Sokoto State, with 15 others rescued alive and 16 still missing as rescue operations continued on Thursday.

The victims were reportedly travelling to their rice farms when the boat capsized shortly after taking off while crossing a waterway.

The passengers included farmers, farm labourers, women and children, with some reports indicating that several of the children were between 10 and 15 years old.

The Sokoto State Police Command confirmed the casualty figures, saying local divers, officials of the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), the State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA) and the police were involved in the search and rescue operation.

The command’s spokesman, Ahmed Rufai, said, “Forty-six corpses have so far been recovered, while 15 persons were rescued alive,” adding that rescuers were still searching for the remaining 16 passengers.

A local journalist at the scene, Sharhabilu Yahuza Kiliya, said more than 70 people were aboard when the canoe overturned. He said the village head was among those on board but was rescued.

The accident has plunged Gorau into mourning, with families anxiously awaiting information about relatives who remain missing. Local divers and emergency responders reportedly began searching immediately after the incident, recovering bodies from the water.

A senior NEMA official, who identified himself as Alhaji Ibrahim, said the agency had mobilised personnel to the community to support the rescue operation.

The cause of the accident had not been established as of the time of filing this report.

The tragedy has also renewed concerns about the safety of farming communities that depend on waterways to reach their farms. It occurred exactly one year after a similar boat accident in Kijio community, also in Goronyo Local Government Area.

Reacting to the incident, the African Democratic Congress governorship candidate in Sokoto State, Hon. Manir Muhammad Dan’iya, described the accident as a “devastating tragedy” and called for urgent measures to prevent a recurrence.

Dan’iya urged the Sokoto State Government and emergency agencies to deploy additional personnel, medical teams and rescue equipment, while calling for proper identification and documentation of the victims to assist their families.

He also advocated the provision of regulated boats and life jackets, training for boat operators, improved emergency response equipment and the construction of bridges or alternative crossings where necessary.

“No farmer should have to risk his or her life simply to access a farm and provide food for the family,” he said.

The ADC candidate commiserated with the bereaved families and the Gorau community, while urging residents to cooperate with emergency responders as the search for the missing passengers continues.

Continue Reading

Advertisement

Top Stories

Entertainment/Arts/Culture5 hours ago

Grammy-winning Singer, Angelique Kidjo Immortalised on Hollywood Walk of Fame

ShareFive-time Grammy winner, Angelique Kidjo, has become the first African musician to be honoured with a star on the Hollywood...

Entertainment/Arts/Culture5 hours ago

Singers Wande Coal, Davido Clash over Unreleased Collaboration, ‘Come My Way’

ShareNigerian singers Wande Coal and Davido have clashed on social media over an unreleased collaboration,“Come My Way”. The disagreement was...

Entertainment/Arts/Culture5 hours ago

Tonto Dikeh to Renovate Churches in Birthday Tribute to Pastor Jerry Eze

ShareActress and humanitarian Tonto Dikeh has announced a church support initiative through The New Wine Prophetic Tabernacle to mark the...

Entertainment/Arts/Culture5 hours ago

BBNaija S11: Kamsy Reveals Plans after Reality Show Exit

ShareEvicted Big Brother Naija Season 11 housemate, Kamsy Uzoma, has revealed her plans for life after leaving the reality show,...

Entertainment/Arts/Culture5 hours ago

Bobrisky Slams Nigerians for Dragging Kaycee Luxury over NDLEA Arrest

ShareCrossdresser, Bobrisky, has blasted Nigerians dragging luxury shopper, Kaycee Luxury, online following his arrest by the National Drug Law Enforcement...

Entertainment/Arts/Culture5 hours ago

2Baba Teases New Album ‘Oldest Young Man’

ShareMusic icon Innocent Idibia, popularly known as 2Baba, has announced plans to release a new album titled ‘Oldest Young Man’....

POLITICS5 hours ago

2027 Elections: IGP Cautions Youths against Political Violence, Misinformation

ShareThe Inspector-General of Police, Olatunji Disu, has cautioned Nigerian youths against being used for political violence, misinformation and digital intimidation...

NEWS5 hours ago

Council Chairmen Urge Yoruba Heritage Preservation

ShareSome council chairmen in Lagos have urged residents to preserve Yoruba cultural heritage while celebrating the 2026 Isẹ̀ṣe Day. They...

POLITICS5 hours ago

Osun Governorship Election: BON Hails INEC, Calls for Prosecution of Offenders

ShareThe Broadcasting Organisation of Nigeria (BON) has called for immediate prosecution of all those found to have committed electoral crimes...

Metro5 hours ago

2027: We Must Unite to Reclaim Oyo, APC National Chairman Tells Aggrieved Aspirants

ShareThe National Chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Prof. Nentawe Yilwatda, has said that the party is handling the...