Connect with us

NEWS

Gov. Idris Pledges Free Feeding During Ramadan 

Published

on

Share

Gov. Nasir Idris of Kebbi, on Monday, pledged to identify one Mosque in every Local Government Area (LGA) of the state for free feeding during the holy month of Ramadan.

He made the pledge when he received people of Arewa and Dandi local government areas, who paid him a thank you visit on the victory of All Progressives Congress (APC) in the just concluded re-run election held in the two LGAs.

Arewa/Dandi federal constituency was one of the constituencies that the re-run election took place on Saturday, Feb.

3, where the APC reclaimed the seat with a slight margin.

Gov. Idris said the Ramadan feeding was meant to earn reward from God Almighty, in addition to satisfying the yearnings and aspirations of people, especially the downtrodden in the society.

He also promised not to appoint persons who were not useful to their community, saying: “before we give anybody position, we must find out what he/she has done for his people.”

The governor added that the state government, under his watch, would not tolerate imposition of candidate on the electorate, assuring that he would allow people to elect candidates of their choice for smooth democratic governance.

Idris restated the commitment of his administration to spreading developmental projects across the state, observing that the essence of democracy was to execute projects and empower the people.

He promised to renovate residences of District Heads by allocating money directly to the royal fathers to execute the projects themselves to their tastes.

Earlier, Shikon Kamba, Alhaji Mamuda Zarumai, who is also District Head of the area, and one of the APC chieftains, Alhaji Hussani Kangiwa, attributed the victory of the party to the visit of the governor and his wife to the area.

While assuring the governor that they lacked words to qualify their happiness, they said they were in government house to show appreciation to the governor for his gigantic efforts which culminated into victory of the party.

On his part, the elected member representing Arewa/Dandi federal constituency, retired Col. Garba Rabi’u-Kamba, also thanked the governor and promised to ensure quality representation.

He appealed to members of his constituency to support all government policies and programmes at all levels to gain more dividends of democracy. (NAN)

NEWS

Alleged Defilement: Businessman Docked for Failing to Produce Suspect

Published

on

Court Sentences Applicant to 6 Months in Prison for Stealing Cell Phone
Share

A businessman, Robert Makolo on Monday appeared before an Ikeja Chief Magistrates’ Court, for failing to produce a suspect he stood surety for in a case of defilement.

Makolo had promised to produce the suspect, John, who is his brother in court by the adjourned date.

The Magistrate Mr Lateef Owolabi, adjourned the case until May 30 for mention and to enable the defendant produce the suspect.

Reports says that Makolo had earlier been arraigned on Jan.

22 and stood trial on a two- count charge of conspiracy and perversion of justice.

He had pleaded not guilty.

Magistrate Owolabi, granted the defendant bail in the sum of N200,000 with two sureties in like sum who must produce evidence of 3 years tax payment to the Lagos State Government.

He said that one of the sureties must be a blood relative.

The prosecutor, SP Josephine Ikhayere had told the court that Makolo stood in as surety on  Nov 16, 2023 at the Anthony Police Station.

Ikhayere alleged that Makolo stood as a surety for his brother Paul, who was involved in a case of defilement.

She said the defendant promised to produce his brother the suspect anytime his presence was required at the police station until the case is finally disposed of.

She said that the defendant undertook to produce the suspect on Nov. 30, 2023 but failed.

The prosecutor said that the section contravene the provisions of Section 97 and 411 of the Criminal Law of Lagos.(NAN)

Continue Reading

Education

Minimum Entry age to Tertiary Institutions18 Years – FG

Published

on

Share

The Federal Government has directed that admission to tertiary institutions should not be given to candidates less than 18 years.

The Minister of Education, Prof. Tahir Mamman gave the directive on Monday during a monitoring exercise of the ongoing 2024 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) in Bwari, Federal Capital Territory.

He decried the activities of some parent, who were pressuring their underage students to get admissions into tertiary institutions,

The minister said that the 18-year benchmark is in line with the 6-3-3-4 system of education.

“The minimum age of entry into the University is 18, but we have seen students who are 15, 16 years going in for the entrance examination.

“Parents should be encouraged not to push there wards too much. Mostly, it is the pressure of parents that is causing this.

“We are going to look at this development because the candidates are too young to understand what the whole university education is all about.

“This is the period when children migrate from controlled to uncontrolled environment; when they are in charge of their own affairs.

“But, if they are too young, they won’t be able to manage properly. I think that is part of what we are seeing in the Universities today,” he said.

On skill acquisition for those who will not be able to gain admissions into tertiary institutions, Mamman said the ministry is taking skills to pupils from primary school.

“ In overall, it is 20 per cent that can be admitted into the University, Polytechnic and Colleges of Education system.

“So, where will the 80 per cent go to? That is why the issue of skills acquisition is very important.

“Any student who is unable to proceed to tertiary institutions should be able to have a meaningful life after primary and secondary school’s education and the only solution to this is skill acquisition,” he said.

Corroborating the minister’s position on the benchmark of 18 years for admission to tertiary institution, the JAMB spokesperson, Dr Fabian Benjamin said 18 years is the is in line with the 6-3-3-4 education system.

The Minister of State for Education, Dr Yusuf Sununu who was in the monitoring team applauded the conduct of the 2024 UTME, particularly, the introduction of online examinations as a way of checking malpractices.

He said the Computer Based Test (CBT) had reduced examination malpractices to the barest minimum.

Sununu commended the Board for setting simple but high standard for the examination. (NAN)

Continue Reading

NEWS

EFCC Arraigns Businessman for Allegedly Tampering with Forfeited Property

Published

on

Share

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) on Monday arraigned a businessman, Ifeanyi Bosah-Reginald, before an Ikeja Special Offences Court for allegedly tampering with forfeited property.
Reports says that Bosah-Reginald was arraigned on a count charge alongside Magnificat Homes & Leisure Ltd.

 and fifth Neighborhood Management Ltd.

The EFCC alleged that the defendant ran foul of the offence of dealing with forfeited property without authorisation contrary to Section 12(1) of the EFCC (Establishment) Act 2004.

The defendant, however, pleaded not guilty to the charge.
The EFCC Counsel, Mr Babatunde Sonoiki, thereafter applied to the court that the defendant should be kept in appropriate custody and also  asked for a trial date.

According to the EFCC, the defendant was alleged to have trespassed property of one  Jokotade Tade Estate Resources Ltd. and that of one Mrs Foloshade Ogundare.
The EFCC said the property, a subject of forfeited order in suit ID/2168/2015, was said to be measuring about 10,687 hectares, situated at Sangotedo Lekki, Lagos State.
It said the property had been forfeited to the Federal Government based on the interim forfeiture order of the court of competent jurisdiction.
Justice Rahman Oshodi ordered the defendant to be remanded in Kirikiri Correctional Centre.
The judge, however, adjourned the case until  May 31 for commencement of trial. (NAN)

Continue Reading

Read Our ePaper

Top Stories

Court Sentences Applicant to 6 Months in Prison for Stealing Cell Phone Court Sentences Applicant to 6 Months in Prison for Stealing Cell Phone
NEWS34 mins ago

Alleged Defilement: Businessman Docked for Failing to Produce Suspect

Share A businessman, Robert Makolo on Monday appeared before an Ikeja Chief Magistrates’ Court, for failing to produce a suspect...

Education45 mins ago

Minimum Entry age to Tertiary Institutions18 Years – FG

ShareThe Federal Government has directed that admission to tertiary institutions should not be given to candidates less than 18 years....

NEWS50 mins ago

EFCC Arraigns Businessman for Allegedly Tampering with Forfeited Property

ShareThe Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) on Monday arraigned a businessman, Ifeanyi Bosah-Reginald, before an Ikeja Special Offences Court for...

NEWS55 mins ago

Raid: Police Arrest 1,802 Suspects in 2 Weeks

Share The Police Command in Lagos State says no fewer than 1,802 suspects have been arrested in raids at different...

NEWS1 hour ago

Nigeria’ll Strengthen Regional Collaboration Against Terrorism- Tinubu

SharePresident Bola Tinubu says Nigeria will continue to strengthen collaboration and lead in taking measures towards countering terrorism in Africa....

Foreign News1 hour ago

Flames, Smoke Continue to Emerge from Massive Landfill in Delhi

Share Flames and columns of thick smoke continued to emerge from a massive landfill in the Indian capital city of...

NEWS1 hour ago

Human Trafficking: NSCDC Rescues 10 Victims in FCT

Share The FCT Command of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC), has intercepted 10 victims of human trafficking...

NEWS1 hour ago

First Bank Appoints Alebiosu Acting CEO

Share The Board of Directors of First Bank Plc has appointed Olusegun Alebiosu the Acting Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of...

NEWS1 hour ago

Teenager Leads Team Nigeria to ITTF W’Africa Regional Championships

ShareTeenage sensation, Matthew Kuti, will lead team Nigeria when they begin their title defence at the 2024 ITTF West Africa...

JUDICIARY2 hours ago

My Ill-tempered Wife Attacked me with a Knife, Military Officer Tells Court

Share A retired military officer, Mr Thomas Olawaye, on Monday prayed a Mapo Grade ‘A’ Customary Court in Ibadan to...

Copyright © 2021 Daily Asset Limited | Powered by ObajeSoft Inc