Thursday, October 29, 2020
Home > COVER > IGP Bans FSARS, Others from Highway Patrols

IGP Bans FSARS, Others from Highway Patrols

Inspector General of Police (IGP), Mohammed Adamu

By Gom Marian, Abuja

Against the backdrop of public outcry of killings, molestation of innocent people and inhuman treatment, among others, the Inspector General of Police, Mohammed Abubakar Adamu, has ordered immediate withdrawal of Federal Special Anti-Robbery Squad (FSARS) from the highways.

The IGP also directed other Tactical Squads including the Special Tactical Squad (STS), Intelligence Response Team (IRT), Anti-Cultism Squad and others operating at the Federal, Zonal and Command levels to cease activities henceforth.

They are also forbidden to carry out patrol, roadblocks, traffic checks, stop and search.

Force Public Relations Officer (PRO), Deputy Commissioner of Police, Frank Mba, in a statement, said the IGP stopped FSARS from carrying out routine patrols and other conventional low-risk duties, stop and search duties, checkpoints, mounting of roadblocks, traffic checks and other duties with immediate effect.

Adamu also directed that no personnel of the Force should “embark on patrols or tactical assignments in mufti”, explaining that “FSARS officers should always be on their police uniforms”.

“Immediate restriction on the invasion of the privacy of citizens, particularly, through indiscriminate and unauthorized search of mobile phones, laptops and other smart devices.

Adamu advised FSARS to concentrate and respond only to cases of armed robbery, kidnapping and other violent crimes, when the need arises.

“The IGP has equally warned that henceforth, the Commissioner of Police in charge of FSARS, Commissioners of Police in charge of State Commands and the FCT, as well as their supervisory Zonal Assistant Inspectors General of Police, will be held liable for any misconduct within their Area of Responsibility (AOR).

He, therefore, charged them to ensure effective supervision and mentoring of personnel of the Tactical Squads under their jurisdiction.

Presidency Accuses Oppositions of Sponsoring Anarchy

The Presidency yesterday accused un-named personalities, whom it described as enemies of Nigeria for sponsoring and encouraging discord and anarchy against government.

The Presidency said the unidentified persons were perpetrating the act either for selfish ends or as revenge for perceived injuries.

It, however warned Nigerians to beware of such persons, saying that President Muhammadu Buhari-led government was “only interested in engendering better quality of life for the citizenry”.

A statement signed by Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Femi Adesina, said “some opposition elements against the government had wanted to hide under the botched planned strike by the organized labour to attack the Buhari administration”.

He said some people were disappointed that the organized labour followed the part of honour by suspending the strike over the increase in prices of petrol and electricity tariff.

 “Since Organised Labour toed the path of sense and sensibility last week, seeing reason with the imperatives of fuel price adjustment, and opening a further window of dialogue on the service based electricity tariff, some groups of Nigerians have been dolorous, disgruntled, and disconsolate.

 “They had apparently perfected plans to use the strike by the labour unions as a smokescreen to unleash anarchy on the land, fomenting mayhem and civil disobedience. But the plan blew up in their faces, and they have been in severe pains since then. They have launched a series of tirades against Organized Labour.

“For some interest groups, their intention was to use the umbrella of the strike to further their whimsical and pie-in-the-sky dream of a revolution in the country.

 “For some others, Bitter-Enders, who have remained entrenched in pre-2015 and 2019 elections mode, it was an opportunity to avenge the 2012 Occupy Nigeria protests, which they believe largely devalued the government of the day, and led to its eventual ouster in 2015.

“The strike that was to have come up last week, they wanted to use as an opportunity for a pound of flesh, which they calculated would weaken the government so much, and influence the 2023 elections.

“For them, it was all about hankering for power, its trappings, and appurtenances, nothing about the love of the country. They have since then been calling Organized Labour all sorts of names, claiming they deceived Nigerians.

“The times in which we live-with severe security, economic and social challenges-call for all hands to be on deck, and goodwill and support for the government, as it strives to put the nation on an even keel. We commend Organized Labour for putting the country first.

“Those sponsoring and encouraging discord and anarchy, either for selfish ends or as revenge for perceived injuries, are enemies of the country. Nigerians are urged to beware of them, as the Muhammadu Buhari government is only interested in engendering better quality of life for the citizenry. Nothing more”, the statement added.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

%d bloggers like this: