NEWS
Insecurity: Two inducts Into Nigeria Air Force’s Inventory
From Attah Ede, Makurdi
The Federal Government on Tuesday, commissioned T129 ATAK helicopter and Beechcraft King Air 360 fighter jet into the inventory of the Nigerian Air Force for counterterrorism and counterinsurgency.
Performing the ceremony at the Air Force Base, Makurdi, President Bola Tinubu, represented by his Deputy, Kashim Shettima, directed all heads of security agencies in the country to unite in order to combat insecurity in the country.
He commended the Turkish Ambassador to Nigeria for facilitating the procurement of the two fighter platforms, President Tinubu assured of his administration’s commitment to continue to support the Nigerian Air Force and other security agencies to train and retrain its personnel to protect Nigerians.
In his remarks, Minister of Defense, Mohammed Badaru Abubakar, said the induction of another set of aircraft was a fulfillment of president Tinubu’s promise to equip security agencies for maximum performance, assuring judicious use of the platforms to achieve intended objectives.
Earlier in a welcome address, Chief of Air Staff (COAS), Air Marshal Hassan Baba Abubakar, said the commissioning of the platforms was a resolve of the federal government to equip and energize the Nigeria Air Force and indeed the entire armed forces of the country towards combating terrorism, armed banditry, oil theft and other threats to Nigeria’s territorial integrity and security of the people.
“Barely six months since the assumption of office by Mr president, the Nigerian Air Force has taken delivery of seven brand new aircrafts into its inventory comprising Diamond 62 surveillance aircraft, two T129 ATAK helicopters as well as the King Air light transport aircraft. The ATAK helicopters are part of the six earlier ordered for the Nigerian Air Force with the remaining four expected to be delivered by June this year while the King Air 360 is one of the two procured for the service with the second expected to be delivered by the end of this month”, the COAS said.
He added that pilots have been trained and more were undergoing various training within and outside the country in order to specialize in how best to use the new equipment.
Speaking on the sideline, Benue State Governor, Rev. Fr Hyacinth Alia, expressed optimism that the unveiling and induction of the additional aircrafts into the inventory of the Nigerian Air Force would help to fight insecurity bedevilling Nigeria and Benue State in particular.
NEWS
NERC Transfers Electricity Regulatory Oversight to Akwa Ibom Commission
The Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC), said it has issued an order to transfer regulatory oversight of the electricity market in Akwa Ibom to its state owned Electricity Regulatory Commission.
This was obtained from the commission’s website on Wednesday in Abuja.
The commission said that the transfer was in compliance with the amended Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (CFRN) and the Electricity Act 2023 (Amended).
”The NERC has issued an order to transfer regulatory oversight of the electricity market in Akwa Ibom from the Commission to the Akwa Ibom State Electricity Regulatory Commission (AKSERC),” it said.
It recalled that with the Electricity Act (EA), the commission retained the role as a central regulator with regulatory oversight on the inter-state/international generation, transmission, supply, trading and system operations.
”The EA also mandates any state that intends to establish and regulate intrastate electricity markets to deliver a formal notification of its processes and requests to NERC to transfer regulatory authority over electricity operations in the state to the state regulator.
”The transfer Order by NERC has the following provisions: direct Port Harcourt Electricity Distribution Company (PHEDC) to incorporate a subsidiary (PHEDC SubCo) to assume responsibilities for intrastate supply and distribution of electricity in Akwa Ibom from PHEDC.
”The company shall complete the incorporation of PHEDC SubCo within 60
The commission also said that the sub company should apply for and obtain a licence for the intrastate supply and distribution of electricity from AKSERC, among other directives.
It said that all transfers envisaged by the Order shall be completed by Feb. 17 2027.
NEWS
FG Moves to Decriminalise Attempted Suicide
The Federal Executive Council (FEC) on Wednesday approved an amendment to the National Mental Health Act to decriminalise attempted suicide in Nigeria.
The amendment, which will be transmitted to the National Assembly for enactment, seeks to shift the treatment of persons who attempt suicide from punishment to care, protection and support.
Minister of Health and Social Welfare, Prof.
Ali Pate, disclosed this while briefing State House correspondents after the FEC meeting presided over by President Bola Tinubu in Abuja.Pate said attempted suicide remained criminalised under colonial-era provisions of the Criminal Code Act and Penal Code, in spite of the National Mental Health Act 2021 providing supportive care for people at risk of self-harm.
“As you all know, suicide is a major public health concern in Nigeria, as well as several other countries.
“According to the World Health Organisation, it is responsible for more than 7,000 deaths annually, with an estimated 300,000 suicide attempts across the country each year,” he said.
He said the existing legal framework discouraged help-seeking behaviour and created inconsistency with the National Mental Health Act 2021, which provides supportive care, protection and treatment for people at risk of self-harm.
“The idea is attempted suicide is not a crime. This legal approach discourages help-seeking behaviours and also conflicts with our national mental health policy and the National Mental Health Act 2021, which provides for supportive care, protection and treatment for individuals at risk of self-harm,” he said.
Pate said the amendment followed consultations among the Ministries of Health and Social Welfare and Justice, mental health advocates, the Attorney-General’s Office, a task force and the National Assembly.
“A task force had been set up following a resolution of the House of Representatives, which is supportive of this, and together with the Ministry of Health and Social Welfare and Justice, worked towards an amendment of the Mental Health Act,” he said.
The minister said FEC also approved the National Centre for Oral Health Establishment Bill 2026 for transmission to the National Assembly, to strengthen oral health services, research and training.
He said the proposed centre would provide a national referral and research institution while establishing a comprehensive legal and institutional framework for addressing oral diseases and related conditions.
Pate said FEC further approved major infrastructure upgrades at the National Hospital, Abuja, including an administrative block for N18.74 million, modular clinics and theatre complex for N64.92 billion, a high-end wing for N103 billion and a Neuroscience Institute for N69 billion.
“In line with the President’s direction to boldly transform this country through infrastructural upgrades and equipment for the health sector, the Council has also today approved contracts to be awarded.”
He said the Neuroscience Institute would provide dedicated infrastructure for neurosurgical, radiological, interventional and rehabilitative services for patients suffering from stroke, brain tumours and other neurological conditions.
“Ultimately, quality healthcare is not cheap. To have the healthcare system we need, Nigeria has to invest in it.”
The Council also approved N302.3 billion for the design, construction, furnishing, equipment, supervision and commissioning of a National Institute for Cancer Research and Treatment (NICRAT) Centre, with a completion period of 36 months.
Pate said the project would provide a flagship institution for cancer research, treatment, innovation and capacity building, noting that three upgraded cancer centres in Katsina, Benin and Enugu had already been completed and launched.
“These two major investments are really modernising the infrastructure landscape for the health sector, which will serve Nigerians and hopefully provide services that will make it further less likely for Nigerians to have to travel long distances to get the care that they need,” he explained.
He said the projects were funded through appropriations to the relevant agencies, adding that due process and competitive procurement procedures were followed, with the Bureau of Public Procurement providing the necessary clearances.
He added that improved health infrastructure would also create better working conditions for Nigerian health professionals and reduce the need for medical professionals to seek opportunities abroad.
Pate said the investments were part of the Federal Government’s broader effort to strengthen healthcare infrastructure and improve access to quality medical services across the country.
NEWS
Tinubu Orders Recovered EFCC Funds, Unclaimed Dividends to NELFund
President Bola Tinubu has directed that liquid funds recovered by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) be channeled to the Nigerian Education Loan Fund (NELFund).
The Minister of Education, Dr Tunji Alausa, disclosed this on Wednesday while briefing State House correspondents after the Federal Executive Council (FEC) meeting presided over by Tinubu in Abuja.
Alausa said the President also directed that unclaimed dividends from the Capital Market Trust Fund and Dormant Account Trust Fund be channeled to NELFund.
He, however, clarified that the directive applied only to liquid, unencumbered funds that were not subject to legal disputes or other restrictions.
“The President, in his benevolence, has now directed that all funds recovered by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission be diverted to NELFund to continue to support its funding,” Alausa said.
He said the President had also directed the Ministers of Finance and Justice, the Debt Management Office and other relevant agencies to work with the Education Ministry on the legal and operational framework.
According to him, the Justice Minister, Lateef Fagbemi will review the laws establishing the two trust funds to determine how the unclaimed dividends can legally be transferred to NELFund.
He said the Attorney-General would also work with the EFCC Chairman to identify eligible liquid funds recovered by the commission for transfer to NELFund.
“Note, and the President was very clear, not seized properties, or recovered looted funds, but liquid funds, from the EFCC will now be transferred to NELFund,” the minister said.
Alausa said the decision would strengthen NELFund’s financial capacity as demand for student loans continued to grow, adding that more than 1.2 million Nigerian students had benefited from the scheme.
He said NELFund had also disbursed more than N93 billion in stipends to students in federal and state public institutions and over N250 billion in institutional fees.
The minister said the development demonstrated Tinubu’s commitment to fulfilling his campaign promise of expanding access to quality higher education through sustainable student-loan financing.
“The education of our children cannot wait, is of utmost importance to him, and he will do anything and everything to protect the future of every single Nigerian child, every single Nigerian student,” he said.
Alausa also disclosed that FEC approved the transformation of the Suleja Academy into the Nigeria Academy for the Gifted and Talented, to provide specialised support for exceptionally gifted Nigerian children.
He said the academy would operate autonomously, with its own governing structure and diversified funding sources, including government appropriation, endowment and donations.
“We need to do this because we have to look for every single genius in this country and bring them in, nurture them, and let them help create the Nigeria of tomorrow,” he said.
The minister said FEC also approved the augmentation of the existing contract for completion of the National Library of Nigeria, which had been abandoned for about 18 years.
He said construction of the library began in April 2006, with a projected two-year completion period, but work stopped in October 2008.
Alausa noted that funds had been sourced from the Tertiary Education Trust Fund (TETFund), while additional support had been mobilised from the First Lady, Oluremi Tinubu, to enable work to resume on the project.
He also disclosed that FEC approved the deployment of an entrepreneurship, innovation and business incubation certification programme in 14 federal universities.
According to him, the technology-driven programme will equip students with entrepreneurship, innovation, enterprise development and digital skills, alongside mentorship and incubation support.
He said the programme, which had been tested at the University of Lagos, was designed to transform students from job seekers into job creators and innovators.
The 14 universities include Ahmadu Bello University, Bayero University Kano, Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Obafemi Awolowo University, University of Abuja, and University of Benin.
Others are University of Ibadan, University of Ilorin, University of Jos, University of Lagos, University of Maiduguri, University of Nigeria Nsukka, University of Port Harcourt and Usmanu Danfodiyo University, Sokoto.


