Connect with us

CRIME

Kidnappers Miss Target, Shoot Gang Member in Kano

Published

on

Share

Kidnappers who tried to shoot a victim after an unsuccessful kidnap attempt missed their target and hit their gang mate in Kano.

The Commissioner of Police (CP), Kano Command, Muhammed Usaini Gumel, who paraded the suspect on Monday in Kano, said a report was received that gunmen stormed the residence of one Nasiru Yahaya in Yarimawa village in Tofa LGA, where they kidnapped him and his son, one Gaddafi Nasiru.

According to him, in the process, the son resisted, adding that in an attempt to shoot him, they shot their colleague, one Umar Abdullahi, alias Danbaba, who died on the spot.

He said, however, the father escaped, adding that in an attempt to whisk the son, they shot two villagers who came to offer assistance in their legs.

He said they had been discharged from Tofa General Hospital, where they were rushed to for treatment.

“In a follow up of the investigation, the following suspects were arrested, Idris Abdullahi (26) of Janguza in Tofa LGA; Tukur Yusuf (40) of Langyal in Tofa LGA; and Ilyasu Aminu of Gargai village in Bebeji LGA.” the statement said.

Confessing to the crime, the suspects said they received information from an insider who said they should go to the house and kidnap the father and his son.

See also  CPC uncovers adulterated cooking oil production spot in Kano

One of the suspects said, “We went to the house as instructed. But the son resisted, and while shooting him, we shot our member. I had never done it; that was my first time and I regret doing this.”

CRIME

Security Operatives Kill One, Disperse Protesting Youths at Conoil offshore platform in Bayelsa

Published

on

Share

From Mike Tayese, Yenagoa

A supposedly peaceful protest by youths of Sangana community in Brass Local Government Area of Bayelsa state turned sorrowful following the shooting at a boat conveying the protesters to an oilfield operated by Conoil in the area.

It was learnt that Ikiowori Benson, one youth, hit by the gunshot lost his life, while two persons in the team of community youths were still missing and others critically injured after the incident reportedly happened on Monday.

Armed security personnel attached to the offshore facility christened “Antie Julie”, within 0ML 59 operated by Conoil, opened fire on the youths when they approached the facility to demand the implementation of the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between Conoil and Sangana.

Reacting to the incident, Ambrose Timipre-Ayah, the youth leader of Sangana said that he and 10 other youths from the community approached the Conoil facility unarmed, with the sole aim of registering their displeasure with the company.

He said he was shocked when the armed security operatives opened fire on them, killing one person instantly. He said two persons were missing and two others receiving treatment at Federal Medical Centre, Yenagoa.

Also, Rueben Preboye, the Community Development Committee (CDC) Chairman of Sangana, noted that while Conoil has been operating in the community for about 25 years, the company has been delaying the implementation of the MoU.

See also  CPC uncovers adulterated cooking oil production spot in Kano

According to him, the MoU lasts for three years subject to renewal, noting that the 2013, 2016, 2019 and 2022 MoUs have not been implemented and accumulated over 300million naira and 420-million-naira worth of projects.

The Sangana CDC chairman said he had the same issue with Conoil when he was the youth leader of the community in 2010.

However, when contacted, Mr. Richard Adebayo, the Community Relations Manager of Conoil declined to comment on the incident.

The spokesman of the joint military force deployed to protect  facilities in the Niger Delta, Major Adenegan Ojo could not be reached by telephone and has yet to respond to sms requesting reaction.

It will be recalled that on Oct 31, 2021, a gas leak from a rig Adriatic-1 within the oilfield contaminated the environment in the community and attracted regulatory sanctions by the National Oil Spills Detection and Response Agency

Continue Reading

CRIME

Troops Destroy Illegal 47 Refineries, Apprehend 65 Suspects – DHQ

Published

on

Share

The Defence Headquarters says troops of Operation Delta Safe (OPDS) have destroyed 47 illegal refining sites, and apprehended 65 suspected oil thieves and other criminals in the last two weeks.

The Director, Defence Media Operation, Maj.-Gen. Musa Danmadami, said this on Thursday in Abuja at the bi-weekly news conference on the operations of the armed forces.

Danmadami said the troops had sustained the tempo in the war against oil theft, illegal refineries and other criminal activities through aggressive raid, patrol as well as clearance operations amongst others.

He said the troops recovered 186,000 litres of crude oil, 42,750 litres of Automotive Gas Oil, 4,500 litres of Premium Motor Spirit and 200 litres Dual Purpose Kerosine.

The spokesman said that 250 storage tanks, 220 ovens, 32 dugout pits, 31 wooden boats, one gas welding cylinder, and one pocking gas were recovered.

Others are two gas burners, two gas gauge, two adjustable spanners, one pumping machine and four outboards engines.

Danmadami said the troops also recovered 300 ammunitions, 15 AK47 magazines, 211 mobile phones, three vehicles, 100 wraps of suspected cannabis sativa, three and four pinches among others.

He said the troops had on May 18, raided a suspected criminals house at Ibaa community in Ahoada West Local Government Area of Rivers.

See also  CPC uncovers adulterated cooking oil production spot in Kano

“All recovered items and apprehended suspected criminals have been handed over to the relevant authority for further action.

“Equally, it is worthy to mention that a total of N604.4 million was denied the oil thieves.

“The air component on May 18, conducted air interdiction operation at Krakrama active with illegal refining activities.

“Accordingly, the location was struck, with several illegal refined products and equipment destroyed in the air strike,” he said.

In the South East, Danmadami said the troops of Operation UDO KA continued to clamp down on the Indigenous People of Biafra, Eastern Security Network terrorist and other criminalities in the zone.

He said the troops neutralised five terrorists and apprehended nine suspects, as well as recovered several arms, ammunition and other items during the period.

In the South West, he said the troops of Operation AWATSE apprehended 26 suspected criminals and recovered one locally made pistol, three cartridges, 280gm of tramadol and two bottles of codeine. (NAN)

Continue Reading

CRIME

Police Dismiss Sergeant over N98,000 Extortion

Published

on

Share

The Police Command in Lagos State has announced the dismissal of Sgt. Ekpo Shimuyere attached to Sogunle Division for extorting a young man of N98,000.

The command’s spokesperson, SP Benjamin Hundeyin told newsmen on Wednesday that the Provost Department of the command had already disrobed the dismissed sergeant.

According to him, the dismissed sergeant collected the phone of his victim and used a POS operator to transfer N98,000 out of the N100,000 in the young man’s bank account.

Hundeyin said that the action of the policeman was contrary to the ethics of the profession.

“Police got the complaint from the victim and the officer denied the crime when he was contacted.

The command placed him under detention so that he will not tamper with the evidence.

“We wrote to his bank and obtained his statement of account. We were able to trace the money to where the POS operator transferred it to before transferring the money to the officer’s account.

“We followed due process to get his account. The victim was invited in the course of investigation, and he testified.

“The POS operator was also invited, and he said the officer requested him to transfer the money from the victim’s account to another one,” Hudenyi added.

See also  Police Dislodge New Cult Group in Nasarawa

He said that the Sergeant was consequently subjected to Orderly Room trial in line with extant laws.

“The Commissioner of Police, Lagos Command, Mr Idowu Owohunwa, have reviewed the orderly room procedure of the officer with Force No. 461654, attached to Sogunle Police Division and have approved the punishment of dismissal from the Force,” he said.

Hundeyin said that the commissioner warned officers and men against any form of corruption, stressing that the dismissal was to serve as a deterrent to others.

He further warned that the command would continue to punish any police officer found to have engaged in unprofessional conduct.(NAN)

Continue Reading

Read Our ePaper

Top Stories

Education9 hours ago

FG Bans Underage Children from Participating in NCEE.

Share Post Views: 41 By Evelyn Terseer, Abuja The Federal Government has banned underage children from participating in the National...

Metro11 hours ago

Abuja’s UTC Complex Demolished for Urgent Upgrade, Security Measures – FCTA Explains

Share Post Views: 50 By Laide Akinboade, Abuja In a significant move to propel small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) forward...

NEWS1 day ago

I Fear My Menstruation Might Be Mistaken for Sexual Indulgence – CYPF Member

Share Post Views: 247 On this year’s Menstrual Hygiene Day, centered around the theme “Making menstruation a normal fact of...

JUDICIARY2 days ago

Presidential Election Petition Court Adjourns Hearing of APM’s  Petition Until June 9

Share Post Views: 180 The Presidential Election Petition Court on Friday in Abuja, adjourned hearing of the petition filed by...

Labour2 days ago

Subsidy Removal: Tinubu Pledges Review of Minimum Wage

Share Post Views: 127 By Mathew Dadiya, Abuja President Bola Ahmed Tinubu Friday in Abuja said improved livelihood for Nigerians...

NEWS2 days ago

Gov. Diri laments Slow Pace of Work After Paying N16bn Mobilisation Fee to Contractor

Share Post Views: 187 Bayelsa’s Gov. Douye Diri on Friday at Nembe expressed dissatisfaction at the pace of work on...

POLITICS2 days ago

Taraba: Bonzena Emerges 10th Assembly Speaker.

Share Post Views: 120 From Christiana Babayo, Jalingo Rt. Hon John Kizito Bonzena, member representing Zing Local Government Area, has...

POLITICS2 days ago

Shettima Inaugurates N570m NASS Mosque

Share Post Views: 73 Vice-President Kashim Shettima on Friday,  inaugurated the Jumu’at Mosque built by the Muslim faithfuls in the National...

JUDICIARY2 days ago

PEPC Admits Exhibits of 6 States in Evidence Against Tinubu’s Election

Share Post Views: 79 The Presidential Election Petition Court (PEPC), has admitted in evidence, exhibits from the Labour Party and...

NEWS2 days ago

Anambra Gov’t Launches e-identification Cards for Civil, Public Servants

Share Post Views: 160 The Anambra Government on Friday unveiled its civil service Electronic Identification Card (e-Id card). Mrs Theodora...

Copyright © 2021 Daily Asset Limited | Powered by ObajeSoft Inc