Brazil forward Neymar has committed his future to Paris Saint-Germain (PSG) by extending his contract until 2025.
Neymar joined the Ligue 1 champions from FC Barcelona on a five-year deal at a world record cost of 222 million euros (270 million dollars) in August 2017.
He had been linked with a return to Barca, but the 29-year-old has now firmly committed to PSG, who announced his new deal on Saturday.
The former Santos star’s new terms, according to media reports in Paris, will see him earn 30 million euros per season in the French capital.
Neymar said: “I’m very happy, very happy to be extending my contract with Paris until 2025.
“The truth is that I’m very happy to be staying here for four more years, to be a part of the club’s project, to try and win titles, to try and achieve our biggest dream which is the Champions League.”
Neymar appeared eager to rejoin FC Barcelona in July 2019, when his future in Paris looked in serious doubt.
In recent weeks, he was even linked again with a switch to Camp Nou.
On signing up for the next four years, he suggested there was regret on his part at making life difficult for PSG chiefs in the past.
“I have changed a lot. I have learned a lot,” Neymar said, quoted on the club’s official website.
“Things have happened that should not have happened. We had fights, a few sad times, but overall the evolution has been very positive.
“I am happy, I am proud to be part of the history of Paris Saint-Germain. I think I have improved as a person, as a human being, and as a player too.
“So, I am very happy to be extending my contract, to be part of the history of Paris and I hope to put many more trophies on the shelf for Paris Saint-Germain.
“Of course, my goal when I came to Paris Saint-Germain was to help get Paris Saint-Germain to the top, among the very best, and we are getting close.
“We are gaining more and more experience to help us negotiate these types of games, to know how to play in the Champions League.
“And Paris is on the right track, we are getting closer and closer to the taste of winning the Champions League. I’m sure we can do it.”
Defeat to Manchester City in the semi-finals of the UEFA Champions League this season means hopes of lifting that trophy remain unfulfilled.
However, Neymar believes Mauricio Pochettino is a man who can deliver such success, describing him as “a great coach who will certainly help us even more” while also praising his Parc des Princes team-mates.
“These things make you believe in the project even more,” Neymar said.(dpa/NAN)
French Open: Djokovic Ready for Nadal Showdown
Novak Djokovic and Rafa Nadal will add another chapter to their rivalry when they face off in a much-anticipated clash today but there will be more at stake than just a spot in the Roland Garros final.
A semifinal battle between world No 1 Djokovic and 13-time Roland Garros winner Nadal was the expected outcome once they were placed on the same side of the draw after the Spaniard slipped down the rankings to third behind Russian Daniil Medvedev.
It would be a 58th career meeting between the pair with Nadal looking to draw level with Djokovic on 29 wins while the victor would also book a 29th Grand Slam final appearance, behind only Roger Federer on 31.
The 35-year-old Spaniard, a year older than Djokovic, is, however, the more dominant of the two on clay and has gone on to win the title at Roland Garros all 13 times he has reached the last-four stage.
Djokovic, who lost to Nadal in a one-sided final last year, and the retired Robin Soderling are the only players to have defeated the Spaniard on the red clay in Paris.
“I’m confident. I believe I can win, otherwise I wouldn’t be here. Let’s have a great battle,” Djokovic said of the matchup.
A win on Friday will also give the victor a chance to shake up the race for the most men’s major titles.
Nadal could take sole ownership of the record with a win on Sunday and move ahead of Federer with 21 titles while a second Roland Garros trophy would move Djokovic to 19.
German Alexander Zverev and Stefanos Tsitsipas of Greece meet in the other semifinal with both chasing a maiden Grand Slam title.
Many pundits believe that the four best men’s players have reached the last-four stage and the odds are no longer heavily stacked against the younger generation to upset Nadal and Djokovic in a major final.
“When you looked at the draw this is the dream scenario,” seven-time major winner and Eurosport tennis expert Mats Wilander said.
“This is one of the first times I have felt this but regardless of who wins between Rafa and Novak this is going to be tough against Tsitsipas or Zverev – they have a great chance to win their first Grand Slam, a great chance.”
While Zverev reached the 2020 US Open final, Tsitsipas, 22, has lost all his three previous Grand Slam semifinals, but the Greek will head into the match with a 5-2 lead in previous matchups.
Boris Becker, a six-time major winner and a former world No 1, believes the gap between ‘king of clay’ Nadal and the other title aspirants at Roland Garros was decreasing.
NSSF Urges Governments to Intensify Efforts at Reviving Athletics in Schools
The Nigeria Schools Sports Federation (NSSF) has urged governments at all levels to revive the athletics sport in secondary schools so as to develop future sports champions for the country.
Dickson Tinism, NSSF’s Vice President 1, made the call while speaking with journalists at the 2021 Maltina School Games on Thursday in Bauchi.
He said track and field sports, such as shot-put, high jump, running and long jump, among others, have been neglected in schools.
Tinism added that there was the need for governments at all levels to revive such sports by providing facilities and encouraging students to participate.
“The Maltina School Games has been an avenue for supporting an all-round development of young people through physical activities and sports across the country.
“We should be grateful to Maltina for organising such a competition to complement government efforts in sports activities.”
Tinism, who is also the Adamawa State Coordinator of NSSF, explained that the Maltina School Games platform was carefully designed to promote the development of children.
“From improving their social and leadership skills to bettering their well-being through sports, the Games have well designed.
“Sports and education have been veritable instruments of lifting millions out of poverty and for Maltina, with its School Games initiative, more people will enjoy the results.
“The platform is getting the needed attraction that will further aid the development of talents in the country,” he said.
On his part, Mikhail Adamu, a Director in the Bauchi State Ministry of Youth and Sports, commended the efforts of Maltina in encouraging the young students.
“Maltina has played its part by creating a talent expressive platform for young boys and girls to develop themselves.
“This is unlike in my days, when we only participated in inter-house sports and occasionally in invitational school relay races.
“This platform from Maltina is one that will open the doors for more opportunities for young athletes in the country, “ he said.
Chiamaka Kingsley, a student at Central Junior Secondary School Alkaleri, said the competition has motivated her and others to continue with sports.
“I got a medal from the 400 metres competition, and I am overwhelmed because this is my first time. This is the beginning and I will not relent,” she said.
Kingsley also called on government to provide school sports facilities and organise competitions among schools to get the best athletes among the young ones.
The overall best athletes of the Maltina School Games would be announced after compilation of the results.
Meanwhile, three schools emerged winners of the parade.
The first winners, Divine International School, got a cash prize of N500,000, and the second winners were Sa’adu Zungur Secondary School who got N300,000.
The third winners were Adamu Jumba Junior School who got N200,000.(NAN)
Ex-Nigeria U23 Captain Joins Croatian Club NK Istra 1961
Former Nigeria U23 captain Erhun Obanor has ended speculation about his future by joining Croatian top-flight club NK Istra 1961 on a free transfer.
NK Istra 1961 have announced through their Facebook page that Obanor is a new player of the club without disclosing the financial terms and duration of the deal.
Allnigeriasoccer.com can exclusively report that the ex-Dream Team VI star has signed a two-year contract with NK Istra 1961, until the end of the 2022-2023 season.
Obanor’s past club KF Laci were keen to retain his services for the forthcoming season but the central defender opted to move on to pastures new.
The 25-year-old is presently in Benin City and is planning to link up with his new club at the end of the month as he has to apply for a visa.
Obanor had attracted interest from clubs in Azerbaijan and South Africa before settling for NK Istra 1961.
He is the second Nigerian played signed by NK Istra 1961 this week, after onetime Golden Eaglets invitee Theophilus Solomon, who joins from Kuwaiti side Qadsia SC.
Politics of the ‘Dot in the Circle’
Share Post Views: 30 By Jude Opara, AbujaLast week, President Muhammadu Buhari either by omission or commission ruffled some feathers...
Gov. Buni Commiserates With Emir of Fika Over palace Fire Incident
Share Post Views: 16 Gov Mai Mala-Buni of Yobe has commiserated with the Emir of Fika and Chairman of the...
Nigeria Needs Unifying, Proactive Leaders — Osinbajo
Share Post Views: 36 By Chijioke Okoronkwo Vice President Yemi Osinbajo says the current challenges affecting the country require proactive...
Ebonyi Governor’s Wife Solicits Religious Leaders Partnership in Tackling Fistula
Share Post Views: 34 The Wife of Ebonyi Governor, Mrs Rachael Umahi has solicited the assistance of religious leaders in...
COVID-19: NCDC Records lowest Infection Figure in More than 1 Year
Share Post Views: 46 The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) said Nigeria recorded only seven additional Coronavirus (COVID-19) infections,...
Gboko APC Disowns Defecting Kaaba
Share Post Views: 48 The All Progressives Congress (APC) in Gboko Local Government Area (LGA) of Benue has disowned Mr...
PDP Congratulates Senate Minority Whip, Aduda at 52
Share Post Views: 22 The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has congratulated the Minority Whip of the Senate, Sen. Philip Aduda,...
Union Accuses CAC Registrar General of Abuse of Power
Share Post Views: 58 From Ankeli Emmanuel, Sokoto The Amalgamated Union of Public Corporations, Civil Service Technical and Recreational Services...
Herdsmen Killings: We’ve Cried Enough, It’s Time for Action – Ortom
Share Post Views: 56 Benue State Governor, Samuel Ortom has vowed to take action against the unabated attacks by herdsmen...
Arewa Youths Raise the Alarm Over Polls Postponement
Share Post Views: 39 …June 12 Rally Fails in the North The Arewa Youth Consultative Forum (AYCF), has expressed the...