COVER
Ortom, Alia’s Commissioner Clash over Benue Debts
From Attah Ede, Makurdi
Immediate past Governor of Benue State, Chief Samuel Ortom and incumbent Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice, Fidelis Mnyim have clashed over numerous Garnishee Orders placed on the state’s bank accounts by creditors to the state government.
Mnyim had on Monday blamed the slow pace of development in the state on loss of revenue caused by debts incurred by the Ortom administration and on which Garnishee Orders were placed by the courts within and outside the state. The implication of having Garnishee Orders placed on accounts is that inflows into such accounts are drawn by creditors to the state government based on court orders.Mnyim had bemoaned the numerous Garnishee Orders on a number of Benue bank accounts, which he said ought not to have been placed on the accounts if the right thing was done in the first place.Speaking with journalists in Makurdi on Monday, the commissioner said the state government had been able to recover about N1.9 billion from a total of N3.6 billion under garnishee orders.He added that some of the consent judgments were entered into in the twilight of Ortom’s administration, stressing that in the consent judgements, previous administration agreed to be paying certain amount of money to the claimants monthly but defaulted in payment, forcing the Alia administration to inherit the debts.But in a swift reaction, Ortom warned the Commissioner against misleading Governor Hyacinth Alia regarding the issues that led to the garnishee orders on the state’s accounts.The former governor asked the commissioner to resign if he could not present the true position on the matter to his principal.Ortom, through a statement on Tuesday by his media aide, Terver Akase accused the commissioner of misleading his principal, saying there were contradictions in his claims.Ortom said Mnyim was out to set his principal on a perpetual collision course with others for reasons known only to him, adding that he was promoting anti-Ortom narratives just to massage his motives.The ex-governor recalled that in Oct. last year the same Attorney General Mnyim claimed in a widely published report that the current government inherited a debt profile of over N14 billion as consent judgment from the Ortom administration.The statement read, “Barrister Mnyim, as the Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice is expected to know that a majority of the issues he raised in the said media report pertain to pensions and gratuity cases.”There are records to show that the Ortom administration inherited pension and gratuity arrears that spanned several previous administrations, with many court cases filed by pensioners still unresolved when Chief Ortom took office in 2015.”One such case was the enhancement of minimum wage for Benue teachers. The teachers had concluded plans to embark on a strike before His Excellency Ortom was sworn into office in 2015.“He had to swiftly meet with the aggrieved teachers, who explained to him the source of their frustration.”Governor Ortom pleaded with the teachers to shelve the planned strike and assured them that his administration would not only implement the N18,000 minimum wage but also begin to pay the teachers’ salary arrears that had accumulated before he took over. Governor Ortom fulfilled the promise to the relief and appreciation of the teachers.”When the present administration came to power in 2023, relying on the advice of the state Attorney General’s office, the payment arrangement that the Ortom government had agreed upon with Benue teachers—who felt betrayed and approached the court to seek redress—was jettisoned.”So, if there is any garnishee court order, the Attorney General knows better than anyone else that the decision to default on the arrears payment agreement the government had with the teachers is one of the bases for the litigations resulting in garnishees.”It is equally imperative to state that when Chief Ortom came to office in 2015 and met pension arrears of other retirees running into billions of naira, some of the court cases had led to the garnishing of accounts of the state. In his characteristic humanitarian approach, Governor Ortom recognized the fact that the senior citizens had served the state honourably and deserved to be treated with dignity.”Consequently, he chose not to contest the claims of the pensioners in court and instead sought amicable resolutions to the disputes.”The State Government under Governor Ortom reached an agreement with the retirees and began to pay their pension arrears and gratuity as financial resources permitted at the time.”This was in the face of a challenging economic climate characterized by significantly reduced federal allocations to states. Nigeria experienced two separate recessions in 2016 and 2020, while the COVID-19 pandemic worsened the economic situation.”The Attorney General should blame himself for the wrong advice that resulted in the government’s decision to abandon the payment arrangements established by the previous administration, prompting the retirees to revert to legal action.”Interestingly, the current Commissioner for Justice, Barrister Mnyim, previously represented clients who litigated against the Benue State Government.“He should clarify to the media whether the cases he handled contributed to the garnishee orders leading to the reported N3.6 billion.”COVER
DAILY ASSET Appoints Torough, Editor, Names Eze, Deputy
By Laide Akinboade, Abuja
As part of efforts to reposition the newspaper for optimum corporate performance, the management of Asset Newspapers Limited, Publishers of DAILY ASSET, has announced the appointment of David Torough as the Editor of the Abuja-based national daily.
A statement by the management said the appointments were part of the company’s new strategy to further penetrate the various states in the country and raise its readership and patronage.
“DAILY ASSET is widely acceptable across the country and to maintain our leadership position, we need to increase management presence, hence the need to create new Bureau offices in some locations outside Abuja and Lagos,” the statement quoted the Publisher/ Editor-in-Chief, Dr Cletus Akwaya to have said.
In a statement yesterday, Publisher and Editor-in-Chief of the fast-growing daily, Dr. Cletus Akwaya said the appointment was part of the new strategy to properly situate the paper for better productivity.
“DAILY ASSET has a commitment with the Nigerian people. We are determined to weather the storm and give Nigerian readers a Newspaper that satisfies their yearnings and reading pleasure and we can only do that with the right set of professionals,” the statement said.
Akwaya, a former Commissioner of Information from Benue State said the difficult times being faced by Nigerians posed a great challenge to the media as the people deserved credible information with which to make choices.
“We have a bond with the people, to offer credible information at all times in the best tradition of the Nigerian Press and on this scale of objectivity, truth and fairness, we pledge to remain steadfast no matter the challenges,” Akwaya was quoted to have said.
He said the newspaper will maiantin its daily print run and circulation to all states of the federation and urged advertisers to take advantage of the deep penetration of the Daily Asset brand to send their messages.
Torough, the new Editor has had a steady rise in the Newspaper in the last five years.
A graduate of Mass communication of the Benue State University, Makurdi, Torough joined the company in 2022 as Benue State Correspondent. He was spotted for his brilliance and redeployed to Abuja the following year and promoted to Deputy News Editor. He was subswuently named Deputy Editor of the paper, a position he held until the recent appointment.
Torough has attended several journalistic workshops and trainings to properly equip himself for the task ahead.
The statement also said the Management named Eze Okechukwu as Deputy Editor.
Before his elevation as Deputy Editor, Eze has been Deputy Politics Editor and DAILY ASSET Newspaper correspondent covering the Senate, having joined the organization in 2021.
Born on March 10, 1975, Eze holds a Masters Degree in Mass Communication from the Enugu State University of Science and Technology.
Eze began his journalism career with Daily Star, Enugu and later worked with Daily Trust Newspaper, Abuja as sports reporter.
Aside from his journalistic excellence, he has a great deal of passion for sports.
COVER
Insecurity: Northern Govs, Monarchs Seek Six-month Mining Suspension
From Ngutor Dekera, Kaduna and Aliyu Askira, Kano
Northern governors and traditional rulers yesterday called for the suspension of mining activities across the region for six months, blaming illegal mining for worsening insecurity in many states.
The resolution was contained in a communiqué issued after a joint meeting of the Northern States Governors’ Forum and the Northern Traditional Rulers’ Council held at the Sir Kashim Ibrahim House, Kaduna. The meeting, chaired by the Gombe State Governor and NSGF Chairman, Muhammadu Yahaya, had in attendance the 19 northern governors and chairmen of the 19 states’ traditional councils.The Forum expressed concern over the escalating violence in parts of the North, including the killings and abductions recently recorded in Kebbi, Kwara, Kogi, Niger, Sokoto, Jigawa and Kano states, as well as renewed Boko Haram attacks in Borno and Yobe.“The Forum extends its deepest condolences and solidarity to the governments and good people of the affected states,” the communiqué said, noting that the attacks on schoolchildren and other citizens had become “unacceptable tragedies” that required urgent collective action.It commended President Bola Tinubu for what it described as the Federal Government’s “firm response” to recent abductions and insurgency threats, especially the rescue of some abducted pupils.The governors also saluted security agencies for their sacrifices on the frontlines.“We resolved to renew our support for every step taken by the President and Commander-in-Chief to take the fight to insurgents’ enclaves in order to end the criminality,” the Forum stated.A major highlight of the meeting was the North’s renewed push for the establishment of state police, with governors and traditional rulers insisting that decentralised policing had become inevitable.“The Forum reaffirms its wholehearted support and commitment to the establishment of state police,” the communiqué added, urging federal and state lawmakers from the region to “expedite action for its actualisation.”On illegal mining, the governors said criminal mining networks were fuelling violence and providing resources for armed groups.As a corrective measure, they asked Tinubu to direct the Minister of Solid Minerals to impose a six-month suspension of mining activities in order to allow for a full audit and revalidation of licences.“The Forum observed that illegal mining has become a major contributory factor to the security crises in Northern Nigeria. “We strongly recommend a suspension of mining exploration for six months to allow proper audit and to arrest the menace of artisanal illegal mining,” it said.To strengthen the fight against insecurity, the governors also announced the creation of a regional Security Trust Fund.Under the proposed arrangement, each state and its local governments will contribute ₦1bn monthly, to be deducted at source under an agreed framework.They said the fund would help provide sustainable financing for joint operations, intelligence-driven interventions and coordinated security responses across the region.At the end of the meeting, the Forum reaffirmed its commitment to unity and collective responsibility.“Only through unity, peer review and cooperation can we overcome the pressing challenges before us,” it declared.The Forum agreed to reconvene on a date to be announced.Meanwhile, Nigeria’s worsening security crisis took a grim turn on Monday as bandits launched fresh attacks in Kano State, abducting 25 villagers, even as the Federal Government raced to secure the release of more than 300 Catholic school children kidnapped in Niger State.In the early hours of Monday, armed bandits invaded Unguwar Tsamiya—popularly called Dabawa—in Shanono Local Government Area of Kano State, whisking away nine men and two women after shooting into the air and assaulting residents. The attackers also rustled two cows.A resident lamented the community’s helplessness: “We cannot do otherwise; most of us cannot leave because we have nowhere to go. This is our place, our land and everything is here.”The assault came less than 24 hours after a similar attack on Yan Kamaye in Tsanyawa LGA, a community along the volatile Katsina border.In Niger State, National Security Adviser Nuhu Ribadu has assured distraught families of St. Mary’s Co-Education School, Kontagora that the more than 300 students and staff abducted on November 21 will return home “soon.” Ribadu, who led a high-level federal delegation to the school on Monday, said the abductees are safe, though he offered no specifics on their location or the status of rescue operations.According to Daniel Atori, spokesman for the Catholic bishop overseeing the school, the NSA reassured officials: “The children are where they are and will come back safely.”The St. Mary’s attack is part of a worrying resurgence of mass kidnappings reminiscent of the 2014 Chibok schoolgirls’ abduction. Security analysts warn that banditry has evolved into a “structured, profit-seeking industry,” with hundreds of Nigerians abducted in November alone.The Kontagora school abduction occurred the same week 25 girls were kidnapped in Kebbi State—victims who authorities say have since been rescued through “non-kinetic” means. About 50 of the St. Mary’s hostages have also managed to escape.Ribadu’s delegation, which included the Minister of Humanitarian Affairs and the Director-General of the Department of State Services (DSS), reaffirmed the government’s commitment to securing the freedom of all abducted citizens.As communities from Kano to Niger continue to bear the brunt of these violent incursions, the escalating spate of kidnappings underscores the urgent national demand for a more decisive and coordinated security response.COVER
Abacha Loot Probe: Malami Faces EFCC Panel Daily in December
By David Torough, Abuja
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) said former Attorney‑General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami, will face a team of interrogators at its office daily throughout December.
A credible source in the EFCC said on Monday that the daily appearance was part of an ongoing investigation into the whereabouts of an alleged 490 million dollars Abacha loot secured through a Mutual Legal Assistance (MLAT) request. The source said that Malami, who was summoned for interrogation by the EFCC on Saturday, was barred from leaving Nigeria for the next one month.According to the source, one of the conditions for his release on Saturday was that he should report daily to the EFCC Headquarters in Abuja for further interrogation.The source said Malami would have to appear daily at the anti-graft office due to the volume of the investigation and the seriousness of the charges against him.”We seized his passport, it is the normal routine during investigation, but he has to report at the EFCC headquarters in Abuja every day for the next month.”He will be reporting for further investigation throughout December.”He will be reporting every day, starting from Dec. 1st to Dec. 31st.He will appear before the team of investigators for the entire month of December.”He will be reporting to EFCC for investigation for the period because of the volume of the investigation and the seriousness of the charges against him,” the source added.According to the source, a fact sheet on the former minister revealed that Malami had several issues to clarify with the EFCC within the coming weeks.“We have asked him to explain the whereabouts of the $490 million Abacha loot secured through MLAT.“We didn’t say he stole money, but he should account for the loot. This is one of the issues he will clarify to our investigators.”The commission cited the large volume of documents he must review and the need for extensive interviews as reasons for seizing his passport.The source said EFCC would not engage in a war of words but would release its findings after a thorough investigation.Malami, in a statement by his media aide, Mohammed Doka, on Monday in Abuja, however, described the EFCC investigation as a political witch‑hunt.He confirmed he honored an EFCC invitation on Nov. 28, describing the engagement as fruitful and expressing confidence that the probe would vindicate him.Malami described the EFCC’s allegations as baseless, illogical and devoid of substance, insisting they collapse under factual scrutiny.

