Connect with us

POLITICS

PDP Convention: Atiku Will Be Shocked – Wike

Published

on

Share

Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State has rebuked former Vice President Atiku Abubakar for his arrogant expression of confidence in winning the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) presidential ticket.
The Rivers State governor was reacting to Atiku’s comment after a meeting with ex-President Olusegun Obasanjo and the Alake of Egbaland in Ogun State on Saturday, in which he told newsmen that he would declare his intention to run for the 2023 presidential election after meeting with those that mattered in the political space.


“Have I ever failed to get the ticket? I’m confident,” he said.

In a statement on Sunday by his media aide, Kelvin Ebiri, Wike said the outcome of the PDP presidential primary will shock Atiku.

According to the governor, the former vice-president went too far with his comment.

He also warned politicians and party members to resist making divisive utterances as the PDP pushes to reclaim power in 2023.

Wike said: “I didn’t expect him, frankly speaking to say that he will always take the ticket of the party. That is going too far and taking the delegates for granted.

“People should watch. There will be shock as far as PDP convention is concerned. People should watch what is going to happen. People like to underrate so many persons and it is not good in politics.”

POLITICS

Atiku Slams Tinubu Over Fuel Subsidy Policy

Published

on

Share

By David Torough, Abuja

Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar has criticised President Bola Tinubu over the removal of petrol subsidy, accusing the administration of worsening economic hardship while retaining what he described as opaque costs in the petroleum sector.


In a statement issued on Friday by his Senior Special Assistant on Public Communication, Phrank Shaibu, Atiku said Tinubu was wrong to describe his proposed petroleum-sector intervention as economically ignorant.

Atiku argued that the economic conditions that existed before Tinubu assumed office had changed significantly following the removal of fuel subsidy, the floating of the naira and rising inflation.

He said his proposal was not a return to the previous open-ended subsidy regime but a targeted, capped, budgeted and time-bound production-support mechanism that would be independently audited and linked to domestic production.
According to him, the government removed the benefit of subsidy from consumers while allegedly retaining substantial petroleum-sector under-recoveries and energy-security costs.
The statement cited figures from NNPC’s audited accounts, claiming approximately ₦17.5 trillion in energy-security costs and petroleum under-recoveries, including about ₦7.13 trillion classified as energy security and ₦8.67 trillion in under-recoveries.
“If subsidy is dead, why are under-recoveries alive?” Atiku asked, arguing that Nigerians had been left with higher costs while questions about government expenditure remained unresolved.
He also rejected the Presidency’s argument that increased Federation Account Allocation Committee (FAAC) disbursements to states represented a major benefit of subsidy removal.
Atiku said higher allocations to state governments should not be celebrated if they came at the expense of household purchasing power, citing rising transport costs, food prices and production expenses.
He further argued that increased FAAC allocations could encourage states to depend on federal transfers instead of expanding their productive economies, attracting investment and broadening their internally generated revenues.
The former vice president also demanded explanations for what he described as approximately ₦30 trillion in Federation Account revenues, deductions, savings and transfers, as well as ₦12.8 trillion allocated to the Service-Wide Vote in the 2026 budget.
Atiku said the administration should provide greater transparency over its finances rather than dismissing criticism of its economic policies.
He maintained that the success of economic reform should not be measured solely by rising government revenues while citizens experience declining purchasing power.
“The real ignorance is believing suffering is economic policy,” Atiku said.
He accused the Tinubu administration of transferring the burden of fiscal adjustment to ordinary Nigerians and warned against subjecting the country to another four years of what he called a failed economic experiment.
The statement was signed by Shaibu on behalf of Atiku, the 1999–2007 vice president and presidential candidate of the African Democratic Congress (ADC).

Continue Reading

POLITICS

2027 Elections: IGP Cautions Youths against Political Violence, Misinformation

Published

on

Share

The Inspector-General of Police, Olatunji Disu, has cautioned Nigerian youths against being used for political violence, misinformation and digital intimidation ahead of the 2027 general elections across the country.

Disu gave the warning on Thursday in Abuja during the National Youth Leadership and Security Dialogue organised by the Nigeria Police Force to commemorate the 2026 International Youth Day celebration.

According to him, as we approach the 2027 electoral cycle, I urge you to remember a very simple, but profound reality that politicians contest elections, but you leave with consequences thereafter.

He said that political actors often reconciled after elections, in spite of fierce campaigns, and might later become allies and guests of one another when political disagreements were resolved amicably over time.

Disu said the Nigeria Police Force recognised and respected the rights of youths to participate in politics, support parties, express opinions and campaign freely for candidates of their choice.

“Our responsibility is to create a security environment in which these democratic rights can be experienced freely and safely.

“We will protect citizens, facilitate peaceful campaigns, secure candidates, campaign venues and public spaces within the law.

“We will protect the integrity of the electoral environment, but will not protect violence, tolerate the recruitment or mobilisation of young Nigerians for political violence.

“I therefore appeal to everybody to be cautious as we approach the 2027 electoral process,” Disu said, urging collective responsibility in safeguarding peace and democratic values across Nigeria.

The police chief also urged youths to become drivers of national transformation rather than instruments of destruction through the spread of false information and harmful online content.

According to him, every young Nigerian using a smartphone should recognise that digital activities leave permanent records that could influence opportunities and shape future prospects significantly.

“You know now, the moment you go to the embassies for your visa, they are checking you on social media to see what and what you are doing.

“So, your footprints are very important, so before you forward a message, verify it and before you publish or circulate, establish the facts,” he advised youths nationwide.

Continue Reading

POLITICS

Osun Governorship Election: BON Hails INEC, Calls for Prosecution of Offenders

Published

on

Share

The Broadcasting Organisation of Nigeria (BON) has called for immediate prosecution of all those found to have committed electoral crimes during last Saturday’s Osun governorship election.

The organisation, in a statement by its Executive Secretary, Dr Yemisi Bamgbose in Abuja on Thursday, said that the prosecution would serve as a deterrent to others.

Bamgbose also congratulated the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) for the conduct of a transparent, free, fair and credible governorship election in the state.

According to him, INEC, under Prof.

Joash Amupitan, has passed the real litmus test in Osun.

He said that the outcome of the election, if improved upon, could serve as a model for subsequent elections in the country.

“INEC deserves commendation for deploying all that was required to ensure the realisation of a free and fair election,” he said.

Bamgbose also commended security agencies for providing adequate security which, he said, helped to minimise tension and criminality during the election.

“It is imperative that INEC ensures the prosecution of all persons who perpetrated electoral crimes to serve as a deterrent to others.

“We therefore call on INEC and other relevant agencies to ensure strict enforcement of electoral laws and prosecution of all offenders,” Bamgbose said.

Continue Reading

Advertisement

Top Stories

DEFENCE15 hours ago

Military Rescues 48 Kidnap Victims, 47 Terrorist Family Members Surrender Nationwide – DHQ

ShareBy David Torough, Abuja The Armed Forces of Nigeria (AFN) rescued at least 48 abducted persons, neutralised several terrorists and...

POLITICS15 hours ago

Atiku Slams Tinubu Over Fuel Subsidy Policy

ShareBy David Torough, Abuja Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar has criticised President Bola Tinubu over the removal of petrol subsidy,...

NEWS15 hours ago

Benue Gov’t Restates Commitment to Protection of AGYW, Non-Discriminatory Healthcare

ShareBy Attah Ede, Makurdi The Benue State Government has reaffirmed its commitment to protecting the dignity and rights of Adolescent...

United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF)
NEWS1 day ago

UNICEF Training: Communication experts charge media practitioners to champion child-rights protection

ShareFrom Attah Ede and Sylvia udegbunam, Port Harcourt Seasoned communication experts and veteran broadcasters, on Thursday, enjoined media practitioners both...

NEWS1 day ago

UNICEF Trains Journalists on Ethical Reporting

ShareFrom Attah Ede and Sylvia Udegbunam, Port Harcourt The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF), on Wednesday, opened a two- day...

Entertainment/Arts/Culture1 day ago

Grammy-winning Singer, Angelique Kidjo Immortalised on Hollywood Walk of Fame

ShareFive-time Grammy winner, Angelique Kidjo, has become the first African musician to be honoured with a star on the Hollywood...

Entertainment/Arts/Culture1 day ago

Singers Wande Coal, Davido Clash over Unreleased Collaboration, ‘Come My Way’

ShareNigerian singers Wande Coal and Davido have clashed on social media over an unreleased collaboration,“Come My Way”. The disagreement was...

Entertainment/Arts/Culture1 day ago

Tonto Dikeh to Renovate Churches in Birthday Tribute to Pastor Jerry Eze

ShareActress and humanitarian Tonto Dikeh has announced a church support initiative through The New Wine Prophetic Tabernacle to mark the...

Entertainment/Arts/Culture1 day ago

BBNaija S11: Kamsy Reveals Plans after Reality Show Exit

ShareEvicted Big Brother Naija Season 11 housemate, Kamsy Uzoma, has revealed her plans for life after leaving the reality show,...

Entertainment/Arts/Culture1 day ago

Bobrisky Slams Nigerians for Dragging Kaycee Luxury over NDLEA Arrest

ShareCrossdresser, Bobrisky, has blasted Nigerians dragging luxury shopper, Kaycee Luxury, online following his arrest by the National Drug Law Enforcement...