Connect with us

NEWS

Plateau Govt. to Begin Metro Bus Service, Relocates Street Traders

Published

on

Share

Gov. Caleb Mutfwang of Plateau, has banned street trading around the Jos Terminus area, to pave way for the commencement of Tincity Metro Bus Service.

Mutfwang, who announced the decision on Wednesday in Jos, said that the buses, newly acquired from Germany, were to help reduce the hardships that the citizens were experiencing as a result of subsidy removal and the rise in the value of the dollar.

The governor spoke through the Secretary to the Government of the State, Mr Samuel Jatau, who is also the Chairman of the  Committee on the Actualisation of the Tincity Metro Bus Service.

He said that though the cost of food was very high, one of the critical sectors where people were suffering was the transportation sector.

“So we want to commence that as a palliative, and so we need to start that quickly.

“But we have a few issues that we need to sort out, one of which is why we are here today because you can see how congested the terminus area is.

“So we need to clear out some structures because these buses are huge and our routes, in some cases, are a bit narrow.

“So we need to be able to get them parking spaces and so on.

“That is why we are here; to see how we can partner with the traders to relocate them to a new place so that they can also be comfortable doing their businesses,” he said.

The governor explained that the new location was a temporary measure as the government intended to build markets in neighbourhoods around town in the coming months and years.

Mr Samuel Gwott, the General Manager, Plateau Express Services Limited, who took journalists to see the buses, said that they were commencing the Tincity Metro Bus Service with 14 diesel-powered buses.

Gwott said that the digitised transport system was safe, affordable, and very reliable.

”The general manager of the buses has a good customer care system where commuters give feedback in case they are having any issues with our bus services.

“We have card readers installed, and this week the adverts will come out on the routes that we are taking.

“We already have 20,000 of the cards ready so that people can preorder and get them via home delivery, or you can also pick them up at authorized vendor locations.

“So these are the buses, and we just brought you here to show you that we are ready.

”But there are things that need to be put in place, for instance, we just left the Terminus area where we need to fix some things, and tha is where the main hotspot is.

“The cards are going for N2000, and it is still at a very affordable price. Both the cards and the transport fare are highly subsidised by the Plateau Government.

“We want the traders, the mechanics, everybody to be able to know how to access this.

“So, for easy reach, you can just download the app, which will be out this week, and you can go to the web app and also just request the card and put your details plus your NIN for security reasons.

“Impute the amount you want for a minimum of N1000, and each card comes with a free N200 because each tap at the moment is N200 for every destination you are going to, whether far or near,” he said.

According to Gwott, eight routes have been designated for the bus service, and each drop would cost N200 no matter the distance.  (NAN)

NEWS

10th Anniverssary: Borno Government Gives Update On 89 Abducted Chibok Girls Still In Captivity

Published

on

Share

Borno State government has said 89 out of 276 abducted girls of Government Girls Secondary School, Chibok, are still in captivity.

The state Commissioner for Information and Internal security Affairs, Prof Usman Tar, disclosed this at a press conference to commemorate the 10th anniversary of the ugly event.

April 14, 2014, would mark the tenth year of the abduction of the school girls.

“So far, 187 of the 276 abducted Chibok girls have been rescued and reunited with their families; 89 are still missing,” he said.

Tar, who spoke alongside his counterpart of Women Affairs, Zuwaira Gambo, noted that the 187 girls rescued over a period of ten years, include the 57 that escaped on the day of abduction.

He revealed that 108 were rescued by the security agencies and already reunited with their families.

He said the 187 rescued girls were enrolled in Capacity-building centres and Second Chance Schools initiative to make them self-reliant.

“Also, a number of the rescued girls have been enrolled for various scholarship programmes” he said.

He called on the parents of the girls that are still missing to be patient, saying government would do everything possible to get reunited with their children.

“We really understand the pain and anguish that the families of those still in captivity are going through, and government is committed to rescuing the remaining girls in captivity; we are working very closely with the federal security agencies along this line,” he said

He expressed hope that with the combined efforts of the security forces, intelligence agencies and communities, all the remaining girls in captivity would return home.

“With about 100 still in captivity, I can say that we are still in mourning period, and we still in prayer session in Mosques and Churches for their rescue.”

“This is not a moment of celebration and joy, but a moment for prayers and commemoration,” he stressed, assuring, “We will celebrate when all have been rescued,” he said.

Continue Reading

NEWS

Abductors of former Gov Ortom’s CoS, wife, cook, contact family demand N100 million

Published

on

Share

From Attah Ede Makurdi

The suspected armed Fulani herdsmen who reportedly attacked chief of staff (CoS) to former Benue State governor Samuel Ortom, Mr. Terwase Orbunde and abducted his wife and house maid, have contacted the victims’ family and demanded for the sum of N100 million as ransom for their release.

Orbunde served the immediate past Governor of the state, Chief Samuel Ortom as chief of staff between 2015 to 2022 and contested for governorship of the State under the platform of APC in the 2023 general elections.
The former governorship aspirants who is being treated for gunshot injuries in undisclosed hospital in Makurdi, said that the men contacted him this morning (Saturday) at about 8:30am through their victims.
The former Chief of Staff said his wife and cook were very calm when they spoke with him.He revealed that during the attack which took place at about 6pm yesterday, the gunmen spoke Fulani among themselves and communicated with him in Hausa saying they would contact him on phone.He maintained that his wife and the house help told him to be prepared to send the money to them and that if he failed to do that they would kill his wife and cook.Daily Asset had earlier reported that the former chief of staff was attacked yesterday (Friday), April 12, 2024, close to the Genocide Cemetery along Mobile Barracks-Welfare Quarters Road in Makurdi, the state capital at about six pm.Orbunde reportedly escaped with a gunshot on his right arm while the attackers whisked away Mrs Abigail Kashimana Orbunde, and her house help, Patience Ogute.It was said that Orbunde, his wife and the house help had gone to inspect the weeding of their farm located close to the road.They said after the inspection of the work and payment of the workers five gunmen suddenly attacked their victims as they walked back to their car.It was reported that they opened fire and Honorable Orbunde received a bullet on the right arm while they ordered him and the women to follow them to an unknown destination.The shooting was said to have caused villagers and passersby to scamper for safety in different directions.”As they marched along, the former Chief of Staff was said to be bleeding profusely and unable to walk quickly.”The leader of the group ordered him to walk away while the gunmen took the women to an unknown destination while good Samaritans conveyed Mr Orbunde to hospital”, an eye witness watched from afar narrated.

Continue Reading

NEWS

Kukah Advises Nigerians to use Power, Authority to Impact Humanity

Published

on

Share

Bishop Mathew Kukah, Archbishop of the Catholic Diocese of Sokoto, has advised Nigerians to use positions of power and authority to impact, and add value, to humanity.

Kukah gave the advice on Friday in Abuja at the 2nd Annual Impact and Legacy Lecture of Late Innocent Chukwuma, Founder of Cleen Foundation.

The foundation is known for promoting public safety, security and accessible justice through the strategies of empirical research, legislative advocacy and publications.

Kukah who spoke on: “Power of One: Dreams and Nightmares”, said that it was important to strive to change negative narratives, live impactful lives and leave lasting positive legacies.

“I begin this lecture by telling you about people like Pope John Paul, Malala Yousafzai, Martin Luther King and a host of others who have used powers positively.

“I used this to illustrate the choices that people have made in life and how they have used powers in their hands, either for good or bad.

“The late Innocent took up a passionate commitment and we must continue to push the frontiers that brought greatness to Nigeria,” he said.

The Bishop said that memorials are only for those who make impacts.

He urged everyone with ideas on curbing crimes and enhancing policing to strive to make impact irrespective of age and location for the betterment of the country.

Contributing, Mr Solomon Arase, Chairman, Police Service Commission (PSC), said the whole idea of community and intelligence policing could be attributed to the efforts of late Chukwuma.

According to him, it was through Chukwuma’s efforts that the trends and patterns of crime and its terminology were introduced into Nigeria’s policing vocabulary.

“Intelligence policing in Nigeria can be attributed to late Innocent Chukwuma because most people may not know about this and how this whole thing came about.

“The efforts of this man brought people from the metropolitan police and conveyed about 500 police officers from Nigeria to study what they were doing in the United States.

“His efforts and those of Prof Etannibi Alemika, Kemi and the MacArthur Foundation also brought into Nigeria one of the best police officers in the world who started talking about community partnership in deepening internal security management.

“The man Innocent Chukwuma has left things that are imperishable and should be sustained,” he said.

Reports says that former Minister of Solid Minerals, Obi EzEzewkesil, representatives of Ford Foundation, Civil Liberty Organization, YIAGA Africa and others at the event commended the convergence of great minds to foster continued development in policing. (NAN)

Continue Reading

Read Our ePaper

Top Stories

NEWS6 hours ago

10th Anniverssary: Borno Government Gives Update On 89 Abducted Chibok Girls Still In Captivity

ShareBorno State government has said 89 out of 276 abducted girls of Government Girls Secondary School, Chibok, are still in...

NEWS10 hours ago

Abductors of former Gov Ortom’s CoS, wife, cook, contact family demand N100 million

ShareFrom Attah Ede Makurdi The suspected armed Fulani herdsmen who reportedly attacked chief of staff (CoS) to former Benue State...

CRIME12 hours ago

Gunmen Attack Ortom’s Ex-Chief-of-Staff, Abduct Wife

ShareSuspected armed Fulani herdsmen on Friday, attacked former Chief of Staff to Benue State Governor, Honorable Terwase Orbunde, and abducted...

POLITICS14 hours ago

APC Primary: Gov. Aiyedatiwa Best Man for Ondo – Adu

Share A new entry into the All Progressives Congress (APC), Dr Muyiwa Adu, has thrown is hat in the ring...

NEWS14 hours ago

Kukah Advises Nigerians to use Power, Authority to Impact Humanity

Share Bishop Mathew Kukah, Archbishop of the Catholic Diocese of Sokoto, has advised Nigerians to use positions of power and...

Health14 hours ago

Lassa Fever: NCDC Registers 1 Death, 15 New Cases in 1 Week

Share The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (NCDC) has reported one death and confirmed 15 new cases of...

NEWS14 hours ago

CP Orders Trial of Officer Threatening Residents with Gun in Viral Video

Share The Commissioner of Police (CP) in Edo, Mr Funsho Adegboye, has ordered an orderly room trial of Police Constable...

NEWS14 hours ago

Abducted Channels TV Reporter Regains Freedom

Share Channels Television reporter, Joshua Rogers, who was abducted from his residence in Rumuosi, Obio/Akpor area in Rivers, has been...

Economy14 hours ago

Naira Makes Huge Recovery, Gains 7.2% Against Dollar

Share The Naira on Friday experienced huge appreciation at the official market, trading at N1,142.38 to the dollar. Data from...

NEWS14 hours ago

Gunmen Attacks Former Gov Ortom’s CoS, Abduct Wife, House Maid

ShareFrom Attah Ede Makurdi  Gunmen suspected to be armed Fulani herdsmen, have reportedly attacked the former Chief of Staff (CoS)...

Copyright © 2021 Daily Asset Limited | Powered by ObajeSoft Inc