Connect with us

Foreign News

South African Civil Servants Set to strike After Rejecting Wage Offer

Published

on

Share

South Africa’s largest public sector unions on Monday gave notice of its intention to strike after rejecting a three per cent wage offer from the government.

Public Servants Association (PSA), which said it had more than 235,000 members, could embark on a national strike from Wednesday, Oct.

26, potentially affecting service delivery across government departments.

It would be the first major strike in the public sector since 2010.

Salary negotiations began in May, with unions initially demanding a 10 per cent increase, but this was later revised down to 6.5 per cent.

The government had hoped to conclude wage negotiations ahead of its mid-term budget on Wednesday, but with the deadlock in wage talks that was unlikely to happen.

The public sector wage bill made up about one-third of total government expenditure.

The government had been trying to keep a lid on rising civil servants’ salaries as part of efforts to contain recurring budget deficits.

The government’s offer to public servants included a once-off cash payment of 1,000 rand ($55), but unions said that does not materially improve their income.

“As long as the cash gratuity ends next year March they (PSA members) won’t accept the deal,’’ senior PSA official Reuben Maleka told Reuters.

Most unions in the country’s largest labour federation COSATU, which is in an alliance with the governing African National Congress, had  also rejected the government’s wage offer.

However, they were yet to file a notice that they intend to strike. ($1 = 18.3251 rand)

Foreign News

Flames, Smoke Continue to Emerge from Massive Landfill in Delhi

Published

on

Share

Flames and columns of thick smoke continued to emerge from a massive landfill in the Indian capital city of New Delhi on Monday, officials said.

Fire fighting operations were underway and fire-fighters were splashing water on the burning mounds of garbage.

The fire has continued at the colossal landfill site since it broke out on Sunday evening.

Meanwhile, toxic fumes emanating from the landfill have left residents in the neighbourhood to gasp for breath.

“There is a pungent smell all around. The smoke is poisonous and causes irritation in the eyes,’’ Dileep Pandey said.

Pandey is a local resident, living within the area.

“We are also facing difficulty in breathing.

’’

While the cause of the fire remained undetermined, authorities have initiated legal proceedings against unidentified individuals in relation to the incident.

According to the Delhi Fire Services department, the landfill caught fire because of the methane produced in the heaps of waste.

Officials listed hot and dry weather conditions as the reason behind the blaze. (Xinhua/NAN)

Continue Reading

Foreign News

Israeli Forces Vow Response to Iran’s Attack Despite Calls for Restraint

Published

on

Share

Israelis awaited word on how Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu would respond to Iran’s first-ever direct attack as international pressure for restraint grew amid fears of an escalation of conflict in the Middle East.

Netanyahu on Monday summoned his war cabinet for the second time in less than 24 hours to weigh a response to Iran’s massive weekend missile and drone attack, a government source said.

While the attack caused no deaths and little damage, thanks to the air defences and countermeasures of Israel and its allies, it has increased concerns that violence rooted in the Gaza war is spreading, and fears of open war between the long-time foes.

Israeli military chief of staff Herzi Halevi said on Monday that “this launch of so many missiles – cruise missiles and drones – into Israeli territory will be met with a response” but gave no details.

Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Ali Bagheri Kani told state TV on Monday night that Tehran’s response to any Israeli retaliation would come in “a matter of seconds, as Iran will not wait for another 12 days to respond”.

But the prospect of Israeli retaliation has alarmed many Iranians already enduring economic pain and tighter social and political controls since protests in 2022-23.

Iran launched the attack in retaliation for an airstrike on its embassy compound in Damascus on April 1 attributed to Israel, and signalled that it did not seek further escalation.

U.S. President Joe Biden told Netanyahu at the weekend that the United States, which helped Israel blunt the Iranian attack, would not participate in an Israeli counter-strike.

Since the war in Gaza began in October, clashes have erupted between Israel and Iran-aligned groups based in Lebanon, Syria, Yemen, and Iraq.

Israel said four of its soldiers were wounded hundreds of metres inside Lebanese territory overnight, the first known Israeli ground penetration into Lebanon since the Gaza war erupted, although it has traded fire with the Lebanese Hezbollah militia.

“We’re on the edge of the cliff and we have to move away from it,” Josep Borrell, the European Union’s foreign affairs chief, told Spanish radio station Onda Cero.

French President Emmanuel Macron, German Chancellor Olaf Scholz and British Foreign Secretary David Cameron made similar appeals.

Washington and UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres also have called for restraint.

White House national security spokesman John Kirby declined on Monday to say if Biden had urged Netanyahu in talks on Saturday night to exercise restraint in responding to Iran.

“We don’t want to see a war with Iran. We don’t want to see a regional conflict,” Kirby told a briefing, adding that it was for Israel to decide “whether and how they’ll respond”.

Foreign Minister Israel Katz said he was “leading a diplomatic attack” alongside Israel’s military response, writing to 32 countries to place sanctions on Iran’s missile programme and proscribe its Revolutionary Guards Corps as a terrorist organisation.

U.S. Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen said Iran’s actions threatened stability in the Middle East and could cause economic spillovers.

The U.S. would use sanctions, and work with allies, to keep disrupting Iran’s “malign and destabilising activity”, she added.

However, some analysts said the Biden administration was unlikely to seek to sharpen sanctions on Iran’s oil exports due to worries about boosting oil prices and angering top buyer China.

In a call between the Chinese and Iranian foreign ministers, China said it believed Iran could “handle the situation well and spare the region further turmoil” while safeguarding its sovereignty and dignity, according to Chinese state media.

Russia has refrained from publicly criticising its ally Iran but has also warned against further escalation.

Iran’s retaliatory attack, involving more than 300 missiles and drones, caused modest damage in Israel and wounded a 7-year-old girl.

Most missiles and drones were shot down by Israel’s Iron Dome defence system and with help from the U.S., Britain, France and Jordan.

In Gaza itself, where more than 33,000 Palestinians have been killed in the Israeli offensive according to Gaza health ministry figures, Iran’s action drew applause.

Israel began its campaign against Hamas, the Iranian-backed Palestinian militant group that runs Gaza, after Hamas attacked Israel on Oct. 7, killing 1,200 people and taking 253 hostages, by Israeli tallies.

British Prime Minister Rishi Sunak said the Group of Seven major democracies were working on a package of coordinated measures against Iran.

Italy, which holds the rotating G7 presidency, said it was open to new sanctions and suggested any new measures would target individuals.

Iran’s attack prompted at least a dozen airlines to cancel or reroute flights, with Europe’s aviation regulator still advising caution in using Israeli and Iranian airspace. (Reuters/NAN)

Continue Reading

Foreign News

50 killed in Afghanistan Road Accidents During Eid Holiday

Published

on

Share

No fewer than 50 people died and 185 others injured in road accidents during the four-day Eid el Fitr holiday
across Afghanistan.

The country’s General Directorate of Traffic Police on Monday said a total of 102 road accidents occurred across Afghanistan in the period, killing 50 commuters, including eight women and 13 children, and injuring 185 others.

Herat, Ghazni, and Paktika were among 34 provinces of the country where most of the road accidents took place, the department said.

Overspeeding, reckless driving, non-compliance to traffic rules, and lack of traffic signals on highways were the main causes of the deadly accidents, the government agency said.

(Xinhua/NAN)

Continue Reading

Read Our ePaper

Top Stories

NEWS7 hours ago

FCCPC Summons Owner of Chinese Supermarket for Alleged Discrimination of Citizens

Share The Federal Competition and Consumer Protection Commission (FCCPC), has summoned the owner of a Chinese supermarket located in the...

NEWS7 hours ago

Niger Delta Leaders say NDDC MD has Capacity to Perform

ShareSome leaders in the Niger Delta say they have confidence in the capability of the Managing Director of the Niger...

POLITICS7 hours ago

APC Primary Election: Interior Minister Congratulates Aiyedatiwa

Share The Minister of Interior, Hon. Olubunmi Tunji-Ojo, has congratulated Gov. Lucky Aiyedatiwa of Ondo State over his emergence as...

JUDICIARY8 hours ago

Lagos Prison Controller Summoned for Alleged Refusal to Remand Man

Share An Ikeja High Court on Monday has summoned the Lagos State Controller of Nigeria Correctional Services (NCoS) Alagbon in...

Uncategorized8 hours ago

Stakeholders Task NASS to Complete Electoral Act Amendment in 2025

Share Stakeholders in the electoral process have tasked the National Assembly to complete the amendment of the Electoral Act and...

Court Sentences Applicant to 6 Months in Prison for Stealing Cell Phone Court Sentences Applicant to 6 Months in Prison for Stealing Cell Phone
NEWS10 hours ago

Alleged Defilement: Businessman Docked for Failing to Produce Suspect

Share A businessman, Robert Makolo on Monday appeared before an Ikeja Chief Magistrates’ Court, for failing to produce a suspect...

Education10 hours ago

Minimum Entry age to Tertiary Institutions18 Years – FG

ShareThe Federal Government has directed that admission to tertiary institutions should not be given to candidates less than 18 years....

NEWS10 hours ago

EFCC Arraigns Businessman for Allegedly Tampering with Forfeited Property

ShareThe Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) on Monday arraigned a businessman, Ifeanyi Bosah-Reginald, before an Ikeja Special Offences Court for...

NEWS10 hours ago

Raid: Police Arrest 1,802 Suspects in 2 Weeks

Share The Police Command in Lagos State says no fewer than 1,802 suspects have been arrested in raids at different...

NEWS11 hours ago

Nigeria’ll Strengthen Regional Collaboration Against Terrorism- Tinubu

SharePresident Bola Tinubu says Nigeria will continue to strengthen collaboration and lead in taking measures towards countering terrorism in Africa....

Copyright © 2021 Daily Asset Limited | Powered by ObajeSoft Inc