Connect with us

Foreign News

Sudan Crisis: NIDCOM Denies Alleged Discrimination in Evacuation of Nigerians

Published

on

the Chairman of NIDCOM, Mrs Abike Dabiri-Erewa
Share

The Nigerians in Diaspora Commission (NIDCOM), yesterday said its Chairperson, Abike Dabiri-Erewa, did not prevent any Nigerian from being evacuated from Sudan.

On Monday, a video clip surfaced online in which one of the Nigerians stranded in Sudan alleged that some of them were left behind while others were evacuated.

“They have come here and picked up those they picked up, leaving the rest of us who are Igbos,” the person who spoke in Igbo language alleged.

In a statement yesterday, Abdur-Rahman Balogun, media aide to Dabiri-Erewa, described the development as “a fabricated lie from the pit of hell”.

He said a youth group with the name South-East Youth Leaders (COSEYL) was responsible for the “divisive and ridiculous fabrication”, adding that the commission was focused and working with other agencies for the safe return of the stranded Nigerians.

Balogun said all those who converged at the prescribed locations were picked up, and have all been moved in 40 buses either towards Port Sudan or towards Egyptian borders.

“Reports from the ministry of foreign affairs staff on the ground in Khartoum indicated that when the boarding of buses began, the situation was so chaotic that some people (including non-Nigerians) jumped in violently, some with daggers, through the windows,” he said.

“To bring sanity and to abide by the instruction of the minister of foreign affairs that priority should be given to women, children and students, the officials started calling them in according to states in alphabetical order, beginning with Abia state.

“Reports from Sudan indicate that all who converged at the prescribed locations were to be picked up, and have all been moved in 40 buses either towards Port Sudan or towards Egyptian borders. However, if some arrived after the stipulated time or did not show up at the point of pick up, they can’t blame it on anyone.

“NIDCOM is focused, working with other relevant agencies, on the safe return of stranded Nigerians and will not be distracted by nonsensical, illogical, irresponsible, rascal and unfounded comments meant to distract from the success, safe and secure return of Nigerians from Khartoum, Sudan.”

Foreign News

Biden Accuses Trump of Using ‘Hitler’s Language in Newspaper Mock-up

Published

on

Share

U.S. President Joe Biden has accused his predecessor and likely election opponent Donald Trump of using Nazi rhetoric following the publication of a video referencing a “unified Reich.’’

Trump is using “Hitler’s language’’.

That’s not America’s, Biden said in a campaign video released.

In the short clip, the Democrat held a phone in his hand and said, referencing the video, is this on his official account? Wow.

Earlier, on Monday, Trump had shared a video which was later deleted on his social media site Truth Social, showing mocks of newspaper articles that would be written if Trump won the presidential election in November.

Among the bits of text featured was a subheading referring to the creation of a unified Reich.

The term, empire in German, is often associated with the Third Reich under Adolf Hitler’s Nazi regime from 1933 to 1945.

The word Reich in the video presumably refers to the founding of the German Reich in 1871, with the text being taken from a Wikipedia entry on World War I, according to U.S. media.

The video was created using a ready-made newspaper article mask.

According to the reports, it has also been used in other clips circulating online,.

Other newspaper headlines in the video published on Trump’s platform also make reference to World War I.

Trump’s team later confirmed that the clip had been removed from his account.

A spokeswoman for his campaign team said that “it was not a campaign video, it was created by a random account online and reposted by a staffer who clearly did not see the word.’’

Biden also attacked the Republican, who is hoping to return to the White House, at a campaign event in Boston on Tuesday.

The 81-year-old said that “the threat that Trump poses is greater in the second term than it was in the first,’’ according to reporters travelling with him.

He called Trump a little unhinged and accused him of seeking revenge after losing the 2020 presidential election.

Biden and Trump were all but guaranteed to face off on Nov. 5 in a rematch of the 2020 vote.

They both achieved the required number of delegates to be nominated as candidates of the Democratic and Republican parties respectively.

Trump has been using radical rhetoric in his election campaign, including hateful and dehumanising language, as well as making racist statements and inciting hatred against minorities.

The 77-year-old also compared Biden’s government to the Gestapo, the official secret police of Nazi Germany. (dpa/NAN)

Continue Reading

Foreign News

France Rejects Recognising Palestinian state at Present

Published

on

Share

France’s Foreign Minister Stéphane Séjourné has rejected the idea of recognising Palestine as a state at the moment.

“Our position is clear:  recognition of Palestine is not taboo for France,” the minister said on Wednesday after a meeting with his Israeli counterpart Israel Katz in Paris.

The minister, however, said that  decision in favour of the recognition must be beneficial and would be made at the right time.

He said that such a decision should  enable decisive progress at the political level.

“It is not just a symbolic question or a question of political positioning, but a diplomatic instrument in the service of a solution with two states living side-by-side in peace and security.

“France does not believe that the conditions have been met to date for this decision to have a real impact on this process,” Séjourné said.

Earlier on Wednesday, Norway, Ireland and Spain said they would recognise Palestine as a state on May 28.

Katz’s visit to Paris followed France’s position in favour of the International Criminal Court (ICC), which chief prosecutor applied for arrest warrants on Monday against Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Defence Minister Yoav Gallant.

The Paris Foreign Ministry stated that it supported the ICC, its independence and the fight against impunity in all situations.

After the meeting with Katz, Séjourné wrote on X: “I reaffirmed France’s priorities: immediate release of the hostages, ceasefire, massive humanitarian aid and two states living in peace and security.”

(dpa/NAN)

Continue Reading

Foreign News

Iran to Hold Memorial Services for Raisi on Tuesday

Published

on

Share

Memorial ceremonies for President Ebrahim Raisi and Foreign Minister Hossein Amirabdollahian are planned in Iran for Tuesday.

Raisi, Amirabdollahian and seven senior Iranian officials died in a helicopter crash on Sunday.

Local media reported that a ceremony is being planned in the provincial capital of Tabriz in the morning, followed by a ceremony in the religious stronghold and pilgrimage city of Qom.

The date for the funerals of the two statesmen has not yet been announced.

Raisi is to be buried in his hometown of Mashhad.

The helicopter crashed in dense fog on the mountains over East Azerbaijan Province while the deceased were travelling back from a meeting with the President of Azerbaijan, Ilham Aliyev.

  (dpa/NAN)

Continue Reading

Read Our ePaper

Top Stories

CRIME16 hours ago

Emirship: Kano Police Command Assures Adequate Security

Share The Police Command in Kano State on Monday assured the people of Kano State of adequate security in the...

Education1 day ago

UniAbuja Internal Council Voices Concern Over VC’s Election Plans

ShareThe University of Abuja’s internal governing council has expressed concern over an alleged plan by the Vice Chancellor, Prof. Rasheed...

NEWS1 day ago

FG Postpones Inauguration of Vasities’ Governing Council 

ShareThe Federal Governmanet has  announced the postponement of the inauguration and retreat for Pro-Chancellors, Chairmen and Members of Governing Councils...

NEWS1 day ago

Binance Executive, Gambaryan, May Die of Malaria in Kuje Correctional Centre-Lawyer

Share Aluko & Oyebode, the law firm handling the case of Binance Holdings Limited, says Mr Tigran Gambaryan, the cryptocurrency...

Nigeria Army Nigeria Army
NEWS1 day ago

Kano Emirship Tussle: Soldiers not Involved – Army

Share The Nigerian Army has dismissed as “false”, the claim by the Kano chapter of the Nigerian Bar Association, that...

Education1 day ago

1.2m Students to Benefit from First Phase of Education Loan – First Lady

Share The First Lady, Sen. Oluremi Tinubu says no fewer than 1.2 million students will benefit from the first phase...

NEWS1 day ago

3 Dead, 7 Casualties at Collapsed Papa Ajao Mosque — LASEMA

Share A total of three persons lost their lives and seven persons with various degrees of injuries were rescued at...

NEWS1 day ago

Access Bank Ranked Nigeria’s Most Valuable Brand

ShareAccess Bank Plc.  has again been ranked Nigeria’s most valuable brand by Brand Finance, a leading brand valuation consultancy. Mr...

NEWS1 day ago

Bandits kill 11 in Katsina Communities – Police

Share The Police Command in Katsina State has confirmed the killing of 11 persons by bandits that invaded three villages...

OPINION1 day ago

Oronsaye Report and Tinubu`s Bold Step in Belling the Cat

ShareAnalysis by Okon Okon  The trajectory of implementing the Stephen Oronsaye-led committee report on federal civil service reform on learner...

Copyright © 2021 Daily Asset Limited | Powered by ObajeSoft Inc