Connect with us

NEWS

TMSG Hails FG’s Cash Transfer to 15m Vulnerable Households

Published

on

Share

The Tinubu Media Support Group (TMSG) has hailed the fast-track disbursement of funds to 15 million households under the Conditional Cash Transfer (CCT) scheme of the President Bola Tinubu administration.The group said the fast-track disbursement was due to the delay in the full implementation of a scheme, which it said was central to the administration’s quest to lift millions of vulnerable Nigerians out of acute poverty.

Mr Emeka Nwankpa, the Chairman of TMSG, in a statement on Saturday, said with the newly inaugurated inter-agency task force in place, the stage was set for a wider coverage of the poverty-alleviation scheme.
“We are aware that President Bola Tinubu formally launched the Conditional Cash Transfer programme targeted at 15 million households across the country soon after assuming office in 2023.
“The idea was to improve on the same scheme introduced by his predecessor, former President Muhammadu Buhari, by reaching more Nigerians than the 1.6 million households (8 million individuals) who benefited from the Buhari administration’s disbursement of N10,000 bi-monthly as of 2021.“So, President Tinubu’s CCT initiative is clearly more ambitious, with the target of ensuring that 15 million households receive N25,000 per month thrice in a year,” said the group.But it said since the announcement, the process had been slowed down by financial inclusion bottlenecks, which had been addressed by an inter-agency task force.The task force includes the National Identity Management Commission (NIMC), National Social Safety-Nets Coordinating Office (NASSCO), National Cash Transfer Office (NCTO), Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), and the Nigeria Inter-Bank Settlement System (NIBSS).“We view the composition of the task force as a statement of intent. The Tinubu administration is set to navigate issues of distrust that characterise the previous scheme and ensure that all beneficiaries have a digital footprint aside from bank accounts.“We still recall how state governments under the auspices of the National Economic Council (NEC), in July 2023, disowned the National Social Register (NSR), the database for vulnerable populations used by the Buhari administration for the CCT programme.“But now, with NIMC working with the Central Bank and other relevant humanitarian agencies, we are convinced that more of the intended beneficiaries would be able to have the NIN, which is now mandatory for benefitting from the CCT and other social services.“In addition, the issue of distrust in disbursement would be addressed, and the possibility of funds getting to intended beneficiaries would be higher with proper documentation and identification,” said TMSG.It commended the Tinubu administration for taking these additional steps against the backdrop of the alarm raised by the World Bank recently on increasing poverty in rural Nigeria and the need to ramp up social protection initiatives.“Recently, Prof. Nentawe Yilwatda, the Minister of Humanitarian Affairs and Poverty Reduction, told Mr Ousmane Diagana, World Bank Vice President, West and Central Africa, that there was evidence that six million households were benefiting from the scheme.“So, we hope that in due course, the Tinubu administration’s target of reaching out to 15 million vulnerable households would be met,” said the group.It urged agencies involved in the process to live up to expectations by ensuring swift completion of the task of addressing the delay in cushioning the impact of economic hardship on vulnerable Nigerians. (NAN)

NEWS

Tinubu’s 2027 Bid: APC Kicks off Adamawa Campaign, Vows Grassroots Victory

Published

on

Share

From Yagana Ali, Yola

The All Progressives Congress (APC) in Adamawa State has formally kicked off its campaign for the 2027 general elections, throwing its political machinery behind President Bola Tinubu’s bid for a second term while mobilising support for the party’s National Assembly candidates.

The campaign flag-off, held on Tuesday, drew party leaders, aspirants, supporters and grassroots mobilisers, who gathered to rally support for the APC and begin what party officials described as an intensive statewide mobilisation ahead of the elections.

Representing Governor Ahmadu Umaru Fintiri at the event, Deputy Governor Professor Kaletapwa Farauta described the flag-off as more than a conventional political rally, saying it marked the beginning of a determined effort to mobilise the people and secure victory for the APC in Adamawa.

Farauta commended President Tinubu for what she described as his administration’s efforts to reposition the country through its policies and programmes.

She urged Nigerians to support the Federal Government by voting for the APC in 2027, arguing that continuity would allow the administration to consolidate its ongoing reforms and development initiatives.

According to her, the Adamawa APC would leave no stone unturned in its bid to secure victory for President Tinubu, the party’s senatorial candidates and House of Representatives aspirants across the state.

Farauta said the party would take its campaign directly to the people, with supporters expected to engage residents at the grassroots and mobilise voters across communities.

She urged party members to remain committed and united as the campaign progresses, stressing that victory would require sustained engagement with voters at the grassroots.

Also speaking on behalf of the senatorial and National Assembly aspirants, Mustapha Salihu described the rally as a historic moment and the beginning of a new political chapter for the APC.

Salihu said Nigeria had endured significant challenges in recent years but was gradually moving towards a period in which the impact of the Federal Government’s reforms would become more evident.

He therefore appealed to Nigerians to support President Tinubu’s re-election and vote for APC candidates in the National Assembly elections, saying continuity in leadership was important for consolidating ongoing development efforts.

Salihu disclosed that the campaign was initiated by the North-East Door-to-Door Movement before receiving the support of the Adamawa State Government.

Speaking on behalf of the movement’s leadership, including High Chief Government Ekpemupolo, popularly known as Tompolo, he expressed appreciation to Governor Fintiri and the people of Adamawa for their support and participation.

He described the turnout at the rally as an indication of the commitment of supporters to the APC’s political agenda ahead of the 2027 elections.

Adamawa State APC Chairman, Hamza Madagali, thanked party supporters for responding to the mobilisation call and urged them to maintain the momentum beyond the campaign launch.

Madagali charged party members to take the campaign to homes, markets, villages, settlements and places of worship, stressing the importance of direct engagement with voters.

He said the APC’s chances of success in 2027 would depend largely on the dedication of its members at the grassroots.

The chairman urged party faithful to remain united, organised and committed to the mobilisation drive, saying sustained interaction with voters would be critical to delivering victory for President Tinubu and the party’s National Assembly candidates across Adamawa.

With the campaign now formally underway, the APC is expected to intensify its grassroots activities across the state as political parties begin positioning themselves for the 2027 general elections.

Continue Reading

NEWS

2027: Ebonyi PDP Governorship Candidate Urges Peaceful, Lawful Conduct

Published

on

Share

The Peoples’ Democratic Party (PDP) governorship candidate, Chief Ifeanyi -Chukwuma Odii, has urged Ebonyi people to remain law-abiding and committed to peace ahead of the 2027 general elections.

Odii made the call in a statement titled, “Eyes on the Ball,” made available to news men on Wednesday in Abakaliki.

He urged politicians, stakeholders and residents to place the peace and development of Ebonyi above partisan interests.

The governorship candidate stressed that political differences should not be allowed to degenerate into violence, noting that Ebonyi indigenes remained brothers and sisters irrespective of their political affiliations and party loyalty.

The call followed a recent alleged attack on members of the PDP and journalists in Ezza South Local Government Area by suspected political thugs allegedly from opponents.

Odii, popularly known as Anyichuks, said political contests should be based on records, achievements, impact and deliverables rather than violence, propaganda or personal attacks.

According to him, candidates aspiring to public offices should allow their accomplishments and scorecards to speak for them.

“Going forward, let us allow our scorecards to speak for us, both as private individuals and, most importantly, as people who have occupied political or public offices,” Odii said.

The candidate explained that his campaign would be anchored on issues and constructive engagement, adding that the “ANYI GA EMEYA” (his political movement) would avoid politics capable of undermining the unity of the state.

“ANYI GA EMEYA will campaign on issues, facts and constructive criticism; we will not engage in smear propaganda or politics of personal attacks,” he added.

He maintained that Ebonyi politicians should focus on the kind of leadership and development capable of improving the lives of citizens and creating opportunities for future generations.

“Ebonyi needs development, opportunity, prosperity and good governance and we must pursue these with urgency.

“There is no time to waste when the future of our people and the generations yet unborn is at stake,” he said.

Odii also called on party supporters and political stakeholders to conduct themselves responsibly throughout the electoral process, stressing that the state’s peace should not be sacrificed for political ambitions.

“We are Ebonyi people first before we are members of any political party,” he said.

Odii further said that his campaign policies and programmes would be intentional, reality-based, solution-driven and focused on issues that mattered to the people.

He urged all political actors to embrace tolerance, civility and issue-based campaigns as the 2027 election approached, saying that the collective interest of Ebonyi should remain paramount and above any other personal interests.

Continue Reading

NEWS

Niger CP, NCCSALW DG Pledge Stronger Collaboration against Illicit Arms

Published

on

Share

From Dan Amasingha, Minna

The Commissioner of Police, Niger State Command, Adamu Abdullahi Elleman, mnips, has assured the National Centre for the Control of Small Arms and Light Weapons (NCCSALW) of the Command’s continued cooperation in the fight against the proliferation of illicit arms and ammunition in the state.

Elleman gave the assurance on Tuesday, when he received the Director-General of the NCCSALW, DIG Johnson Babatunde Kokumo (Rtd), on a courtesy visit to the Niger State Police Command Headquarters, Dutsen-Kura, Minna.

Kokumo, who was accompanied by the Centre’s North Central Zonal Director, Abdullahi Adamu Eneche, and other officials from the Centre’s headquarters and zonal office, was in Niger State as part of his official tour of the North Central Zone.

The NCCSALW Director-General described the visit as both official and symbolic, recalling his professional relationship with CP Elleman during their years in active service.

He commended the Commissioner for his professionalism, intellectual capacity and leadership qualities.

He also acknowledged the existing cooperation between the Niger State Police Command and the NCCSALW, stressing that sustained inter-agency collaboration was essential to tackling the proliferation of small arms and light weapons, which continue to contribute significantly to banditry and other violent crimes across the country.

According to him, the Federal Government established the Centre and strengthened its legal and institutional framework in recognition of the need for a coordinated national response to the illicit circulation of arms.

Kokumo explained that the Centre operates through zonal offices across the six geopolitical zones, with provisions for state offices in the 36 states and the Federal Capital Territory to enhance its operational effectiveness.

He commended the Inspector-General of Police, Olatunji Rilwan Disu, for his support and cooperation with the Centre, disclosing that the Nigeria Police Force had remitted more than 11,000 recovered arms to the NCCSALW for destruction.

He said the initiative would help prevent recovered weapons from finding their way back into the hands of criminal elements, adding that the IGP’s directive to State Police Commands to transfer recovered arms and ammunition to the Centre was a significant contribution to national security.

The Director-General called for enhanced information sharing and sustained operational collaboration between the Niger State Police Command and the Centre to strengthen efforts towards reducing the circulation of illicit arms.

Responding, Elleman expressed appreciation to the Director-General and his delegation for the visit, describing DIG Kokumo as a distinguished retired senior police officer, mentor and seasoned professional whose career was characterised by integrity, transparency and excellence.

The Commissioner reaffirmed the Command’s commitment to maintaining a strong working relationship with the NCCSALW, noting that the visit would further strengthen the existing partnership between the two institutions.

He assured the Director-General that the Command would continue to support initiatives aimed at curbing the proliferation of illicit arms and ammunition and enhancing public safety across Niger State.

Elleman further pledged that all arms and ammunition recovered by the Command, upon completion of investigations and other necessary procedures, would be duly remitted to the NCCSALW through the appropriate channels, in line with existing directives.

The Commissioner thanked the Director-General and his delegation for the visit and wished them a safe and successful tour of their operational engagements.

Continue Reading

Advertisement

Top Stories

POLITICS45 minutes ago

2027: Reps Minority Caucus, G-100 Push for United Opposition

ShareThe Minority Caucus in the House of Representatives has announced a partnership with G-100, to galvanise opposition political parties for...

POLITICS1 hour ago

Adeleke Receives Certificate of Return, Promises More Dividends of Democracy

ShareFrom Ayinde Akintade, Osogbo Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke on Wednesday received his certificate of return at the Independent National...

POLITICS1 hour ago

C’River Info Commissioner Challenges Oppositions on State Policies

ShareFrom Ene Asuquo, Calabar The Commissioner for Information in Cross River State, Pastor Ekpenyong Ene Cobham, has challenged opposition politicians...

POLITICS1 hour ago

Let Campaigns Be Issue-based, Respectful, Says Diri

ShareFrom Mike Tayese, Yenagoa Governor of Bayelsa State, Senator Douye Diri, has advised politicians to respect their opponents and ensure...

NEWS1 hour ago

Tinubu’s 2027 Bid: APC Kicks off Adamawa Campaign, Vows Grassroots Victory

ShareFrom Yagana Ali, Yola The All Progressives Congress (APC) in Adamawa State has formally kicked off its campaign for the...

Uncategorized2 hours ago

Edo Assembly Dissolves Standing C’ttees, Constitutes Panel to Probe Ex-Speaker

ShareThe Edo House of Assembly on Tuesday dissolved all its standing committees and constituted an investigative panel to probe allegations...

NEWS2 hours ago

2027: Ebonyi PDP Governorship Candidate Urges Peaceful, Lawful Conduct

ShareThe Peoples’ Democratic Party (PDP) governorship candidate, Chief Ifeanyi -Chukwuma Odii, has urged Ebonyi people to remain law-abiding and committed...

POLITICS2 hours ago

Fintiri Inaugurates Presidential, National Assembly Campaigns in Adamawa

ShareAdamawa State Governor, Ahmadu Fintiri has inaugurated the presidential and National Assembly campaigns of the All Progressives Congress (APC) ahead...

NEWS2 hours ago

Niger CP, NCCSALW DG Pledge Stronger Collaboration against Illicit Arms

ShareFrom Dan Amasingha, Minna The Commissioner of Police, Niger State Command, Adamu Abdullahi Elleman, mnips, has assured the National Centre...

NEWS2 hours ago

Senate Decries Nigeria Dwindling Football Fortunes, Holds Emergency Meeting with NFF, NSC

ShareBy Eze Okechukwu, Abuja The Senate, through its Committee on Sports has held an emergency meeting with both the Chairman...