Connect with us

security

Fresh Attack on Plateau Community Kills 24, Injures Scores

Published

on

Share

From Jude Dangwam, Jos

At least 24 people have reportedly been killed and several others injured after gunmen attacked Bin-Per community in Kombun District of Mangu Local Government Area of Plateau State, in the latest deadly assault on vulnerable communities in the state.

The attack occurred between midnight on Monday and the early hours of Tuesday, August 18, 2026, according to residents, who said the heavily armed assailants moved from house to house, forcing their way into homes and attacking sleeping residents.

An eyewitness, Daniel Musa, said the attackers opened doors and slaughtered people inside their homes.

“Our village came under attack last night and in the early hours of today, Tuesday, by heavily armed persons,” Musa said, adding that more than 20 deaths had been confirmed as of Tuesday morning, while several others sustained serious injuries and some residents remained missing.

Another resident, John Dalyop, described the attack as terrible and called on the authorities to take immediate action against those responsible.

The injured victims were reportedly taken to nearby hospitals for treatment, while community leaders and residents continued efforts to locate missing persons.

Security operatives were also said to have been deployed to the community on Tuesday morning to restore calm and prevent further attacks.

The Mwaghavul Youth Movement, however, put the reported death toll at 24 and said the attackers also burnt homes and destroyed crops, worsening the plight of families whose livelihoods depend largely on farming.

In a statement issued on Tuesday and signed by its Director of Public Affairs, Tubwot Joël Sunday, on behalf of the group’s President, Kyesmang Jonathan Yusuf, the movement expressed “deep grief, anger, and profound dissatisfaction” over the attack.

It said the scale of the destruction amounted to an attack not only on individuals but on the community’s “dignity, livelihood, and future.”

The group questioned the effectiveness and responsiveness of the government’s security architecture, particularly given what it described as repeated attacks on vulnerable communities across Mangu and other parts of Plateau State.

It also raised concern over increasing reliance on community self-defence, saying residents were being forced to confront heavily armed attackers because of inadequate protection.

While commending youths in Bin-Per and neighbouring communities for their courage and intervention, the movement stressed that community self-defence could not replace the responsibility of government and security agencies.

The group called on Plateau State Governor Caleb Manasseh Mutfwang and the Federal Government under President Bola Ahmed Tinubu to urgently reassess security arrangements in vulnerable communities.

It demanded improved intelligence gathering, proactive deployment of security personnel, rapid-response mechanisms and sustained protection capable of preventing attacks rather than merely responding after lives and property have been lost.

The movement also called for a transparent investigation into the Bin-Per attack and other attacks in Mangu and Plateau State, including the security response before, during and after the incident.

It demanded that those responsible for the killings, destruction of homes and farmlands be identified and brought to justice.

The youths further warned that the recurring loss of lives, destruction of homes and farmlands could no longer be treated as routine incidents, stressing that every life lost represents a Nigerian family devastated and every destroyed farm represents food, income and hope lost.

The movement mourned those killed, sympathised with the injured and displaced, and called for what it described as “government’s uncommon action” to end the cycle of violence.

As of the time of filing this report, efforts to obtain an official reaction from security authorities were unsuccessful.

NEWS

Gunmen Attack Adeleke’s Convoy, Kill One in Osogbo

Published

on

Share

From Ayinde Akintade, Osogbo

Tension gripped Osogbo, the Osun State capital, on Wednesday after suspected gang members attacked the convoy of Governor Ademola Adeleke shortly after his visit to the palace of the Ataoja of Osogbo, Oba Jimoh Oyetunji, in an incident that left one person dead.

The shooting occurred hours after Adeleke received his Certificate of Return from the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), following his victory in the August 15 governorship election.

Adeleke had arrived at the Ataoja’s palace at about 3:15pm in a convoy of about 20 vehicles after leaving the INEC office in Osogbo.

He was received by the traditional ruler, to whom he reportedly presented his Certificate of Return.

The meeting ended with prayers, after which the governor and his close aides left the palace hall through an exit reserved for the monarch and his wives.

According to eyewitnesses, gunfire erupted moments later as suspected attackers arrived in an unregistered Sienna space bus through the Ita-Olokan axis and allegedly opened fire around the palace.

Security personnel attached to the governor responded, leading to an exchange of gunfire that lasted between 12 and 15 minutes. The attackers were subsequently forced to retreat from the area.

The police, however, later disclosed that the incident may have been triggered by an attempt to gain access to music star David Adeleke, popularly known as Davido, who accompanied the governor to Osogbo.

Osun State Police Public Relations Officer, Abiodun Ojelabi, said preliminary investigations indicated that members of the Eye Confraternity were allegedly after Davido.

According to Ojelabi, one Adebayo Taoreed, popularly known as “Small Rugged,” an ex-convict and suspected member of the confraternity, allegedly attempted to gain access to Davido but was resisted by members of his security team.

The confrontation, he said, attracted other suspected gang members in the vicinity, who allegedly blocked the palace entrance and obstructed the movement of the governor’s convoy.

The police spokesman said the suspects later left the area but allegedly shot 60-year-old Tajudeen Yusuf at Ita-Olokan.

Yusuf was rushed to the University Teaching Hospital, Osogbo, where he was pronounced dead by doctors.

The development marked a sharp turn in an otherwise celebratory day for Adeleke, who had earlier received his Certificate of Return amid cheers from supporters.

Speaking at the presentation ceremony, the governor promised to work harder to improve the welfare of residents and expressed concern over the loss of lives during political activities.

“No election, political office or ambition is worth the life of a single citizen,” Adeleke said, while recalling victims of electoral violence.

He also announced plans by the Adeleke family, through the Springtime Development Foundation, to provide scholarships up to university level for children and dependants of those killed in electoral violence. The state government, he added, would establish a ₦500 million Election Violence Victims Endowment Fund.

Meanwhile, the shooting around the Ataoja’s palace sent traders, residents and other members of the public fleeing for safety. Witnesses said some shops were hurriedly shut as gunshots rang out.

A trader near the palace, identified as Munirat, said the attackers damaged part of the palace gate during the confrontation and later moved towards the Osogbo Central Mosque before escaping through the Ita-Olokan axis of the Osogbo-Ilesa Road.

Osun State Commissioner for Information and Public Enlightenment, Kolapo Alimi, earlier confirmed the attack on the governor’s convoy, saying the governor’s security personnel successfully repelled the assailants.

The police have commenced a full-scale investigation and intensified efforts to identify and arrest the fleeing suspects.

The Commissioner of Police (Election), Osun State Command, CP Samuel Etaifo, condemned the killing and urged residents to remain calm and avoid taking the law into their own hands.

As of the time of filing this report, security personnel remained deployed around the palace and adjoining streets, while the incident continued to generate tension in the state capital.

Continue Reading

security

Kogi Police Rescue 15 Kidnap Victims

Published

on

Share

From Joseph Amedu, Lokoja

The Kogi State Police Command has successfully rescued 15 victims abducted along the Itobe–Anyigba Highway in Ofu Local Government Area, following an intense gun battle with their abductors.

The Commissioner of Police, Naziru Bello Kankarofi while briefing journalists on the development at Command’s Headquarters in Lokoja on Monday, disclosed that the incident occurred at about 4:00 p.

m. on Sunday, 9th August 2026, between Ojuwo Ajengo and Mamerebo, an identified kidnapping flashpoint along the Itobe–Achigili portion of the highway, when a Peace Mass Transit bus was intercepted and its occupants abducted.

The Commissioner told newsmen that he ordered the immediate mobilization of tactical and intelligence assets to locate the abductors and secure the safe rescue of the victims.

According to him “The operation, which was a joint effort involving the Police, military personnel of the 12 Brigade Nigerian Army, DSS, NSCDC, local Vigilante and auxiliary forces, led to a fierce gun battle with the abductors, during which several of the criminals were neutralised with others fleeing. Tragically, one of the local Vigilante personnel supporting the Police operation was killed in the encounter, while one Police officer sustained gunshot injuries.

“Despite the heavy resistance encountered, the operatives successfully closed in on the abductors and rescued all fifteen (15) victims directly from their custody, including 2 FRSC personnel. The rescued victims comprised 12 adults and three (3) children. They were found safe and unharmed and are currently being moved out of the operational area to safety.

“The rescued victims are: CRC I. Ibe – FRSC personnel, SRC Ik. Ukandu – FRSC personnel, Josephbah, Joshua Daniel, Joy Ogbu, Chigocife Ogbu, Charity Aneebo, Ngozi Stephin, Somaliya Zegu, Chidera Emanuel, Pamela Oraeto, Abakwam Loveth, Chimereze Nekuma, Chibok Nzekwu and Victor Edozi Anyichie

Meanwhile, serious efforts are ongoing to apprehend the fleeing abductors, as the Command continues to sustain tactical and intelligence-driven operations within the area to ensure that the perpetrators are brought to justice. In addition to this operation, three other coordinated security operations are currently ongoing at different locations across the State, as the Command continues its sustained efforts to disrupt criminal activities and protect residents.

The Command urges members of the public to remain vigilant and continue to provide timely, credible information to support ongoing operations against criminal elements. The Kogi State Police Command remains firmly committed to the safety and security of residents, the protection of lives and property, and the sustained disruption of criminal activities across the State.

Continue Reading

NEWS

Herdsmen Kill Five, Abduct Nine, Destroy Farmlands in Imo

Published

on

Share

From Wins Charity, Owerri

The Traditional Ruler of Assa, Obosa-Umuepe Communities Eze Emmanuel Asor has decried insisant attack by Fulani herdsmen for killing, abduction and destruction of farmland in the Communities in Ohaji Egbemna Local Government Area of Imo State.

Asor said that In Abacheke Community Fulani herdsmen on motorcycle fired sporadically Four Confirmed dead, one injured Farmland destroyed, and intimidation heightened in Assa, Obosa-Assa, Umuepe communities

He further stated that Fulani herdsmen with cows have repeatedly invaded farmlands and destroyed cassava, yam, plantain amongst others.

The traditional ruler Eze Emmanuel,Asor said that the little land they have been invaded by Fulani herdsmen and no fewer than,260 Cow grazing in farmlands adding that hunger is imminent because crops were eaten by the Fulani Cow

Eze Asor further said that in Abacheke Community, Gunmen on motorcycles fired sporadically four people confirmed dead on arrival, one person injured and right now Police have deployed tactical teams to the areas.

He highlighting that in Asaa Fulani herdsmen recently killed 1 dead, 9 injure while, five were abducted

Eze disclosed that HURIWA has accused “armed Fulani herders” of “sustained killings” in Imo which is well acknowledge across the State.

He however condemned misinformation and urged the Youths in the Areas to remain calm and he noted that oil companies have took most land, leaving little for farming which is now invaded my Fulani herdsmen

Continue Reading

Advertisement

Top Stories

POLITICS7 hours ago

2027: Reps Minority Caucus, G-100 Push for United Opposition

ShareThe Minority Caucus in the House of Representatives has announced a partnership with G-100, to galvanise opposition political parties for...

POLITICS7 hours ago

Adeleke Receives Certificate of Return, Promises More Dividends of Democracy

ShareFrom Ayinde Akintade, Osogbo Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke on Wednesday received his certificate of return at the Independent National...

POLITICS7 hours ago

C’River Info Commissioner Challenges Oppositions on State Policies

ShareFrom Ene Asuquo, Calabar The Commissioner for Information in Cross River State, Pastor Ekpenyong Ene Cobham, has challenged opposition politicians...

POLITICS8 hours ago

Let Campaigns Be Issue-based, Respectful, Says Diri

ShareFrom Mike Tayese, Yenagoa Governor of Bayelsa State, Senator Douye Diri, has advised politicians to respect their opponents and ensure...

NEWS8 hours ago

Tinubu’s 2027 Bid: APC Kicks off Adamawa Campaign, Vows Grassroots Victory

ShareFrom Yagana Ali, Yola The All Progressives Congress (APC) in Adamawa State has formally kicked off its campaign for the...

Uncategorized8 hours ago

Edo Assembly Dissolves Standing C’ttees, Constitutes Panel to Probe Ex-Speaker

ShareThe Edo House of Assembly on Tuesday dissolved all its standing committees and constituted an investigative panel to probe allegations...

NEWS8 hours ago

2027: Ebonyi PDP Governorship Candidate Urges Peaceful, Lawful Conduct

ShareThe Peoples’ Democratic Party (PDP) governorship candidate, Chief Ifeanyi -Chukwuma Odii, has urged Ebonyi people to remain law-abiding and committed...

POLITICS8 hours ago

Fintiri Inaugurates Presidential, National Assembly Campaigns in Adamawa

ShareAdamawa State Governor, Ahmadu Fintiri has inaugurated the presidential and National Assembly campaigns of the All Progressives Congress (APC) ahead...

NEWS8 hours ago

Niger CP, NCCSALW DG Pledge Stronger Collaboration against Illicit Arms

ShareFrom Dan Amasingha, Minna The Commissioner of Police, Niger State Command, Adamu Abdullahi Elleman, mnips, has assured the National Centre...

NEWS8 hours ago

Senate Decries Nigeria Dwindling Football Fortunes, Holds Emergency Meeting with NFF, NSC

ShareBy Eze Okechukwu, Abuja The Senate, through its Committee on Sports has held an emergency meeting with both the Chairman...