security
Fresh Attack on Plateau Community Kills 24, Injures Scores
From Jude Dangwam, Jos
At least 24 people have reportedly been killed and several others injured after gunmen attacked Bin-Per community in Kombun District of Mangu Local Government Area of Plateau State, in the latest deadly assault on vulnerable communities in the state.
The attack occurred between midnight on Monday and the early hours of Tuesday, August 18, 2026, according to residents, who said the heavily armed assailants moved from house to house, forcing their way into homes and attacking sleeping residents.
An eyewitness, Daniel Musa, said the attackers opened doors and slaughtered people inside their homes.
“Our village came under attack last night and in the early hours of today, Tuesday, by heavily armed persons,” Musa said, adding that more than 20 deaths had been confirmed as of Tuesday morning, while several others sustained serious injuries and some residents remained missing.
Another resident, John Dalyop, described the attack as terrible and called on the authorities to take immediate action against those responsible.
The injured victims were reportedly taken to nearby hospitals for treatment, while community leaders and residents continued efforts to locate missing persons.
Security operatives were also said to have been deployed to the community on Tuesday morning to restore calm and prevent further attacks.
The Mwaghavul Youth Movement, however, put the reported death toll at 24 and said the attackers also burnt homes and destroyed crops, worsening the plight of families whose livelihoods depend largely on farming.
In a statement issued on Tuesday and signed by its Director of Public Affairs, Tubwot Joël Sunday, on behalf of the group’s President, Kyesmang Jonathan Yusuf, the movement expressed “deep grief, anger, and profound dissatisfaction” over the attack.
It said the scale of the destruction amounted to an attack not only on individuals but on the community’s “dignity, livelihood, and future.”
The group questioned the effectiveness and responsiveness of the government’s security architecture, particularly given what it described as repeated attacks on vulnerable communities across Mangu and other parts of Plateau State.
It also raised concern over increasing reliance on community self-defence, saying residents were being forced to confront heavily armed attackers because of inadequate protection.
While commending youths in Bin-Per and neighbouring communities for their courage and intervention, the movement stressed that community self-defence could not replace the responsibility of government and security agencies.
The group called on Plateau State Governor Caleb Manasseh Mutfwang and the Federal Government under President Bola Ahmed Tinubu to urgently reassess security arrangements in vulnerable communities.
It demanded improved intelligence gathering, proactive deployment of security personnel, rapid-response mechanisms and sustained protection capable of preventing attacks rather than merely responding after lives and property have been lost.
The movement also called for a transparent investigation into the Bin-Per attack and other attacks in Mangu and Plateau State, including the security response before, during and after the incident.
It demanded that those responsible for the killings, destruction of homes and farmlands be identified and brought to justice.
The youths further warned that the recurring loss of lives, destruction of homes and farmlands could no longer be treated as routine incidents, stressing that every life lost represents a Nigerian family devastated and every destroyed farm represents food, income and hope lost.
The movement mourned those killed, sympathised with the injured and displaced, and called for what it described as “government’s uncommon action” to end the cycle of violence.
As of the time of filing this report, efforts to obtain an official reaction from security authorities were unsuccessful.
security
Kogi Police Rescue 15 Kidnap Victims
From Joseph Amedu, Lokoja
The Kogi State Police Command has successfully rescued 15 victims abducted along the Itobe–Anyigba Highway in Ofu Local Government Area, following an intense gun battle with their abductors.
The Commissioner of Police, Naziru Bello Kankarofi while briefing journalists on the development at Command’s Headquarters in Lokoja on Monday, disclosed that the incident occurred at about 4:00 p.
m. on Sunday, 9th August 2026, between Ojuwo Ajengo and Mamerebo, an identified kidnapping flashpoint along the Itobe–Achigili portion of the highway, when a Peace Mass Transit bus was intercepted and its occupants abducted.The Commissioner told newsmen that he ordered the immediate mobilization of tactical and intelligence assets to locate the abductors and secure the safe rescue of the victims.
According to him “The operation, which was a joint effort involving the Police, military personnel of the 12 Brigade Nigerian Army, DSS, NSCDC, local Vigilante and auxiliary forces, led to a fierce gun battle with the abductors, during which several of the criminals were neutralised with others fleeing. Tragically, one of the local Vigilante personnel supporting the Police operation was killed in the encounter, while one Police officer sustained gunshot injuries.
“Despite the heavy resistance encountered, the operatives successfully closed in on the abductors and rescued all fifteen (15) victims directly from their custody, including 2 FRSC personnel. The rescued victims comprised 12 adults and three (3) children. They were found safe and unharmed and are currently being moved out of the operational area to safety.
“The rescued victims are: CRC I. Ibe – FRSC personnel, SRC Ik. Ukandu – FRSC personnel, Josephbah, Joshua Daniel, Joy Ogbu, Chigocife Ogbu, Charity Aneebo, Ngozi Stephin, Somaliya Zegu, Chidera Emanuel, Pamela Oraeto, Abakwam Loveth, Chimereze Nekuma, Chibok Nzekwu and Victor Edozi Anyichie
Meanwhile, serious efforts are ongoing to apprehend the fleeing abductors, as the Command continues to sustain tactical and intelligence-driven operations within the area to ensure that the perpetrators are brought to justice. In addition to this operation, three other coordinated security operations are currently ongoing at different locations across the State, as the Command continues its sustained efforts to disrupt criminal activities and protect residents.
The Command urges members of the public to remain vigilant and continue to provide timely, credible information to support ongoing operations against criminal elements. The Kogi State Police Command remains firmly committed to the safety and security of residents, the protection of lives and property, and the sustained disruption of criminal activities across the State.
NEWS
Herdsmen Kill Five, Abduct Nine, Destroy Farmlands in Imo
From Wins Charity, Owerri
The Traditional Ruler of Assa, Obosa-Umuepe Communities Eze Emmanuel Asor has decried insisant attack by Fulani herdsmen for killing, abduction and destruction of farmland in the Communities in Ohaji Egbemna Local Government Area of Imo State.
Asor said that In Abacheke Community Fulani herdsmen on motorcycle fired sporadically Four Confirmed dead, one injured Farmland destroyed, and intimidation heightened in Assa, Obosa-Assa, Umuepe communities
He further stated that Fulani herdsmen with cows have repeatedly invaded farmlands and destroyed cassava, yam, plantain amongst others.
The traditional ruler Eze Emmanuel,Asor said that the little land they have been invaded by Fulani herdsmen and no fewer than,260 Cow grazing in farmlands adding that hunger is imminent because crops were eaten by the Fulani Cow
Eze Asor further said that in Abacheke Community, Gunmen on motorcycles fired sporadically four people confirmed dead on arrival, one person injured and right now Police have deployed tactical teams to the areas.
He highlighting that in Asaa Fulani herdsmen recently killed 1 dead, 9 injure while, five were abducted
Eze disclosed that HURIWA has accused “armed Fulani herders” of “sustained killings” in Imo which is well acknowledge across the State.
He however condemned misinformation and urged the Youths in the Areas to remain calm and he noted that oil companies have took most land, leaving little for farming which is now invaded my Fulani herdsmen
security
Attackers Kill Soldier, Police Officer as Troops Rescue Nine in Zamfara
From Ifeanyichukwu Nwannah, Gusau and Sylvia Udegbunam, Enugu
Nigeria’s security challenges deepened at the weekend as separate attacks in Zamfara and Enugu states left security personnel dead, civilians abducted, and fresh rescue operations underway.
In Zamfara State, troops of Operation FANSAN YAMMA foiled an attempted terrorist attack on a Forward Operating Base (FOB) at Kasuwan Daji in Kaura Namoda Local Government Area, killing several attackers and rescuing nine abducted civilians.
However, the operation claimed the lives of one Nigerian Army officer and one police officer, while two soldiers sustained gunshot wounds and were evacuated for treatment.According to the Nigerian Army, the terrorists attempted to infiltrate the military base around 1:40 a.m. on Saturday under the cover of darkness but were detected and engaged with overwhelming firepower, forcing them to retreat. Reinforcements immediately pursued the fleeing attackers, leading to the rescue of nine civilians who had been abducted from nearby communities.
The Army dismissed reports that six security personnel were killed during the attack, insisting that only one Army officer and one police officer lost their lives. It said troops have since secured the area and are conducting exploitation operations to determine the full extent of the terrorists’ casualties while reaffirming their commitment to sustaining offensive operations against armed groups across the North-West.
Meanwhile, in Enugu State, a joint security team has intensified efforts to rescue two victims abducted during an attack on St. Joseph Catholic Church, Inoyi, Affa Community, in Udi Local Government Area.
Police said operatives, working with Forest Guards and members of the Neighbourhood Watch Group, pursued the fleeing gunmen and succeeded in rescuing one of the abducted victims unharmed, while the attackers escaped with two others.
The Commissioner of Police, Mamman Giwa, directed the Area Commander in Oji River, the Command’s Violent Crime Response Unit, and the State Intelligence Department to deploy all operational and intelligence assets, including the Enugu State Command-and-Control Centre, to ensure the safe rescue of the remaining victims and the arrest of the perpetrators.
Although police confirmed that three persons were initially abducted, eyewitnesses said the attackers stormed the church during morning service around 8:30 a.m. and abducted a seminarian, the catechist and two other worshippers before fleeing.
Authorities in both states have assured residents that security operations have been intensified to restore safety, rescue those still in captivity, and bring the attackers to justice.


