President Muhammadu Buhari has returned to Abuja after attending the Seventh Tokyo International Conference on African Development (TICAD 7) in Yokohama, Japan.
News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the President and some members of his entourage arrived at the Presidential wing of the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport Abuja at about 11:38 p.m.
While in Yokohama, the president presented Nigeria’s Statement at Plenary Session Three on “Public-Private Business Dialogue”.
He assured potential investors of good returns as a result of ongoing reforms initiated by his administration in the last three years.
The president also held bilateral talks with the Japanese government and companies as well as some African leaders during the conference.
On Friday, Buhari welcomed the interest shown by the Japan Bank for International Cooperation and the Toyota Group to support projects in which Japanese companies are involved in Nigeria.
The president also met with members of Nigerian community in Japan where he condemned few Nigerians abroad indulging in criminal activities.
He declared that the activities of such dubious Nigerians do not represent the values of majority of the people of the country. (NAN)
Husband of Slain Kenyan Runner Tirop Seeks Plea Bargain
The husband of slain Kenyan distance runner Agnes Tirop is seeking a plea bargain after initially denying a charge of murder, his lawyer said yesterday.
Tirop, a rising star in the world of athletics, was killed last October in her home in Iten, a high-altitude training hub in western Kenya for top runners.
Emmanuel Ibrahim Rotich was arrested after a dramatic late-night chase the day after Tirop’s body was found with stab wounds, and has been in custody ever since.
The 41-year-old denied a charge of murder at a November court appearance.
But in the latest twist in the legal saga, his lawyer Ngigi Mbugua told the Eldoret High Court that Rotich was willing to plead guilty to a lesser charge in the hope of attracting a more lenient sentence.
The prosecution said it was not against the idea of a plea bargain but wanted Tirop’s family to be involved in the process.
A hearing on Rotich’s request will take place on 22 September.
US Beach Returned to Black Owners after 98 Years
A prime beachfront resort seized from its black owners nearly 100 years ago has been returned to their descendants by officials in Los Angeles.
Bruce’s Beach was purchased in 1912 to create a beach resort for black people at a time of racial segregation in southern California.
Located in the desirable city of Manhattan Beach, it was forcibly taken by the local council in 1924.
But on Tuesday, Los Angeles officials voted to return the land to the family.
Willa and Charles Bruce bought the two lots of land for $1,225 in 1912. The beach is now worth an estimated $20m (£16.45m).
Willa told a reporter at the time: “Wherever we have tried to buy land for a beach resort, we have been refused, but I own this land and I am going to keep it.”
Over the next decade, Bruce’s Beach became a “citadel for African Americans coming there for leisure from all over the rest of southern California,” family spokesman Chief Duane “Yellow Feather” Shepard told the BBC last year.
But the local police department put up signs limiting parking to 10 minutes, and another local landowner put up no trespassing signs, forcing people to walk half a mile to reach the water, he said.
When those measures failed to deter visitors, the local authorities seized the land under eminent domain laws – designed to let the government forcibly buy land needed for roads and other public buildings.
Officials claimed they planned to build a park. That did not happen until many decades later, and the area remained vacant in the interim.
On Tuesday, the motion to return the land acknowledged, “it is well documented that this move was a racially motivated attempt to drive out the successful black business and its patrons”.
NATO to Agree on Biggest Defence Policy Changes since End of Cold War
NATO leaders are expected to sign off on a major reinforcement of the alliance’s Eastern European members on Wednesday when they meet in Madrid to project a united stance amid the Russian invasion of Ukraine.
The decision is a fundamental shift of deterrence and defence in the alliance, NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg said as the three-day summit began on Tuesday.
Stoltenberg was echoing previous comments ahead of the summit that described the move as “the biggest overhaul of (NATO’s) collective deterrence and defence since the Cold War.”
The war in Ukraine has breathed new purpose into the Western alliance after years of internal discord as tensions grew between Europe and the U.S. under former U.S president Donald Trump.
French President Emmanuel Macron even remarked in 2019 that NATO was experiencing brain death as doubts grew about the alliance’s direction over trans-Atlantic tensions.
The chaotic end to the U.S. and NATO’s 20-year intervention in Afghanistan helped little until the Ukraine war underlined the alliance’s central aim: collective defence.
Russian President Vladimir Putin’s invasion of Ukraine has made even clearer how important NATO is for the future, Spain’s Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez said at the start of the summit.
As well as new confidence, NATO is also attracting new members with Sweden and Finland deciding to abandon neutrality and pursue membership in view of the Russian invasion.
In an early boost to proceedings, Turkey agreed on Tuesday to drop its veto of Sweden and Finland’s entry to the alliance after significant pledges from both countries to combat terrorism.
Ankara had opposed both countries’ entry for weeks, charging both nations with supporting the Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) and the YPG.
A Kurdish militia based in Syria, both of which Ankara classified as terrorist groups. Sweden and Finland refuted this.
On Wednesday the trans-Atlantic alliance is set to agree to position more equipment near Russia, including heavy weaponry; to boost troop numbers in multinational NATO battlegroups in Eastern Europe.
It will also expand rapid reaction forces from 40,000 to 300,000 soldiers.
The NATO Response Force (NRF) is usually under national command but can be requested for deployment to another ally by NATO’s Supreme Allied Commander Europe (SACEUR).
NATO allies are still finalising details of the exact composition of the expanded battle groups in Eastern Europe, with some alliance members seeking to avoid costly permanent bases.
The Baltics, especially Estonia, have pushed NATO hard to shift tactics in light of the Russian invasion of Ukraine and move to the fully-fledged defence of alliance territory in Eastern Europe.
This would replace a model to relinquish and later recapture lost ground.
The 30-strong Western defensive alliance was to also agree on a new strategic concept outlining NATO’s security tasks and missions, the first update since 2010.
The alliance’s security blueprint for the next 10 years is expected to categorise Russia as the most direct threat to NATO as well as address China for the first time.
NATO partner countries in the Indo-Pacific region Australia, New Zealand, Japan and South Korea were also taking part, a sign that the war in Ukraine has not completely occupied the alliance’s attention.
NATO members also planned to commit to providing Ukraine with long-term support including more equipment, supplies, training and help to transition away from Soviet-era military equipment.
APC Upholds MacDonald’s Exco in Imo
Share Post Views: 31 By Jude Opara, Abuja The All Progressives Congress (APC) yesterday upheld the MacDonald Ebere led State...
Free Medical Outreach in Nasarawa
Share Post Views: 39 Tatara community in Panda Development area has praised the executive chairman of Karu Local government area,...
NPC Commissioner reaffirmed Plans for a Paperless Census in 2023
Share Post Views: 48 The federal commissioner representing Nasarawa state at the National Population Commission Abuja, Silas Ali Agara, has...
4, 770 Terrorists, Families surrender to Nigerian Troops, 11 arrested – DHQ
Share Post Views: 53 By Gom Mirian, Abuja The Defence Headquarters said a total of 4, 770 Boko-Haram terrorists and...
2023: Umahi’s Deputy Governor, Igwe speaks on his Defection from APC to LP
Share Post Views: 46 Godwin Okeh, Abakaliki Ebonyi state deputy governor, Chief Kelechi Eric Igwe has few months to the...
Troops arrest 10 Robbers, rescue 3 Victims in Kaduna
Share Post Views: 52 By Gom Mirian, Abuja The military high command, yesterday said its troops deployed on internal operations...
Husband of Slain Kenyan Runner Tirop Seeks Plea Bargain
Share Post Views: 157 The husband of slain Kenyan distance runner Agnes Tirop is seeking a plea bargain after initially...
Ganduje Appoints Galadima Acting Kano Pillars Chair
Share Post Views: 62 Kano State Governor, Abdullahi Umar Ganduje, has appointed Ibrahim Galadima as acting Chairman of Kano Pillars...
HEDA Petitions ICPC over Allegations against Ex-CJN
Share Post Views: 59 The Human and Environmental Development Agenda (HEDA Resource Centre) has petitioned the Independent Corrupt Practices and...
Rumbles, as APC Progressive Youth Movement Suspend Mustafa, Wife
Share Post Views: 63 By Jude Opara, Abuja Crisis is brewing in the youth wing of the All Progressives Congress...