Metro
Cars Dispute: Court Orders Kano to Pay Former Commissioners N1m
From Aliyu Askira, Kano
The National Industrial Court, sitting in Kano, has ordered the Kano State Government to pay a total of N1m as costs in a legal dispute involving former commissioners over the official vehicles given to them while in office.
The court, presided over by Justice Mahmood Abba Namtari, gave the order yesterday after the state government asked for more time to prepare its defence in the case.
The case, filed by five former commissioners, is praying the court to stop the Kano State Government from retrieving the official vehicles they used during their time in office.
During the hearing, defence counsel to the Kano State Government, S. U. Jibril, requested for an adjournment because he was not ready to continue with the case, owing to the fact that he was only informed about the matter the previous day and had not had enough time to prepare the necessary documents.
“We were briefed yesterday around 2:30 p.m. by the office of the first defendant. We tried to get our papers ready but could not complete them. We are asking for another date,” he informed the court.
However, counsel to the applicants, Suraj Sa’ed (SAN), did not oppose the request for an adjournment but instead asked the court to award costs to his clients, recalling the government had already received the court documents earlier and should have prepared its response.
Sa’ed requested for N1m in costs for each case, arguing that the delay had caused inconveniences to the claimants.
In response, Jibril opposed the request. He argued that the government was still within the legal time allowed to submit its documents. “My lord, we should not be asked to pay costs. All the respondents were served on March 3, and we are still within time to file our papers,” he argued.
But Justice Namtari noted that court records showed the defendants were actually served earlier, on February 26, and ordered the respondents to pay N200,000 in costs to each of the five applicants, bringing the total to N1 million.
The court then adjourned the case to April 28, 2026, for further hearing.
The former commissioners who filed the suit include Dr. Yusuf Ibrahim K/Mata, AVM Ibrahim Umar (Rtd), Nasir Sule Garo, Adamu Aliyu Kibiya, and Mustapha Rabi’u.
They asked the court to stop the Kano State Government from collecting the official vehicles given to them during their tenure.
The defendants in the case are the Attorney General of Kano State, the Governor of Kano State, and the Kano State Public Complaints and Anti-Corruption Commission.
The court had earlier rejected a request by the former commissioners for an urgent order to restrain the government from retrieving the vehicles but ruled that both sides must first present their arguments before any temporary order could be granted.
Metro
FG Launches CNG, EV Northern Corridor in Kano
The Federal Government through the Presidential Initiative on Compressed Natural Gas and Electric Vehicles (Pi-CNG & EV), is set to inaugurate the Northern Corridor of CNG and EV programme on Thursday in Kano.
The Head, Brand and Communications, Onyekachi Eke disclosed this while speaking ahead of the event in Kano.
Eke said the programme is aimed at promoting cleaner and more affordable transportation alternatives across Northern Nigeria.
She said the Vice President, Kashim Shettima, Gov. Abba Kabir-Yusuf of Kano State, Gov. Umar Namadi of Jigawa State and Gov.
Dikko Radda of Katsina State were among other dignitaries expected to attend the event.According to her, the programme supports the Federal Government’s efforts to expand access to alternative fuel transportation and reduce dependence on traditional fuels.
“The event will bring together stakeholders from government, the private sector, and the transport industry to activate the expansion of CNG and EV infrastructure and adoption in the region.
“Activities scheduled for the launch include demonstrations of clean mobility solutions currently being deployed across the country and the unveiling and commissioning of CNG and EV assets and infrastructure,” Eke said.
The launch is also expected to provide a platform for stakeholder engagement and collaboration on the development of Nigeria’s clean mobility ecosystem.
Metro
Kano Warns Pilgrims against Taking Kola-nut to Saudi Arabia
From Rabiu Sanusi, Kano
The Kano State Pilgrims Welfare Board has called on all intending pilgrims from the state to strictly comply with the rules and regulations guiding the 2026 Hajj exercise, particularly the directive prohibiting the transportation of kola-nut and other contraband items to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
The Director General of the Board, Abubakar Ibrahim Matawalle, made the call following a meeting with security agencies and stakeholders on preparations for the forthcoming pilgrimage.
According to the Director General, the restriction on kola-nut is a directive from the Saudi Arabian authorities aimed at ensuring the safety, security, and smooth conduct of Hajj operations.
He urged all pilgrims from Kano State to fully cooperate with officials by refraining from carrying prohibited items during their journey.
He added that pilgrims should avoid taking kola-nut and all other contraband items and advised them to strictly respect and adhere to the rules and regulations of the Saudi Arabian authorities as well as those of Nigeria to ensure a successful Hajj exercise.
The Board further emphasized its commitment to ensuring that all pilgrims from Kano State perform their religious obligations in a peaceful, orderly, and lawful manner.
The Kano State Pilgrims Welfare Board also appealed to intending pilgrims to remain law-abiding, cooperate with security personnel and attend all scheduled orientation and enlightenment programmes organized by the Board ahead of their departure.
Metro
Nollywood Star Alex Ekubo Dies at 40
Popular Nollywood actor, Alex Ekubo, is dead. He was 40.
His death was confirmed on Tuesday by his colleagues, Funke Akindele, Bolanle Ninalowo, and Godwin Nnadiekwe, who claimed to be his ally.
Sharing on her Instagram story, Akindele wrote, “Hmmmmmm.
Rest in peace, Alex. I tried to reach out to see you one more time, but I guess you knew best. May your kind soul rest in peace, Alex. ‘Ore mi like you fondly called me, I will always remember and cherish the good times we shared together. Rest in Peace, Alex.”Meanwhile, Ninalowo, who is now in the United States, also mourned on his page, writing, “Rest on, Alex.
May God heal your family and us all.”Nnadiekwe, on the other hand, shared, “I’m struggling to find the words. This news has truly broken me. Nollywood has lost a rare soul, and I’m lost for words because this wasn’t the plan, Alex Ekubo. To think you already prepared your Will — It’s heartbroken, I can’t quite describe. Rest well, my friend.”
As of the time of filing this report, his family has not issued a statement on his death.
Recall that fans across social media recently expressed concerns for Ekubo following his first public appearance after months of social media silence.
The light-skinned movie star had been absent from Instagram since December 30, 2024, sparking speculation about his well-being.
However, a recent video that surfaced online brought him back into the spotlight, though it also raised further questions.
In the viral clip, Ekubo was seen interacting with a group of children, appearing noticeably slimmer and subdued.
The video, posted by user @AsakyGRN on X (formerly Twitter), was captioned, “Alex Ekubo spotted for the first time since disappearing from social media.”
The footage triggered a wave of emotional reactions from fans, many of whom noted a significant change in his appearance and questioned his wellbeing.
Before his demise, the actor dismissed marriage in favour of his quest to earn more money in the film industry.
In January 2023, his then-lover, Fancy Acholonu, in an interview, revealed that she dated the late actor for five years without them having any intimacy.
The US-based model also called off her wedding to Ekubo in December 2021, after apologising to the film star a year later for calling it off.
Acholonu affirmed her love for the actor, saying that “like our shirt says, Nothing makes sense when we’re apart @alexxekubo you still have my heart.
“I miss you, I love you, and I’m truly sorry for all the hurt & pain you and your family went through with our breakup.”
She noted that her actions were out of character, and she has realised she could have controlled her emotions and not been so overreactive.
However, in a post on his Instagram page, Ekubo implied that he was aware that some people were curious about why he has not yet been married.
The film star said he was more interested in making money. He urged people not to bother about his marital status.


