Connect with us

Metro

Tinubu’s Daughter Offers 1,000 Scholarships to University Students in C’River

Published

on

Share

From Ene Asuquo, Calabar

Mujidat Folashade Tinubu-Ojo, the Iyaloja-General of Nigeria, has unveiled a scholarship scheme for over 1,000 indigent students seeking admission into Havilla University, Ikom local government area of Cross River state for 2025/2026 academic session.

The tuition-free award valued at N400,000 is in commemoration of her second anniversary as the Pro-Chancellor and Chairman of the Governing Council of Havilla University.

Confirming the scholarship award in a telephone conversation shortly after marking the two- year anniversary ceremony  in office  as the institution Pro-chancellor, the Iyaloja- General of Nigeria stated that the initiative reflects her commitment to youth empowerment and educational advancement.

 She described education as “the only level between the rich and the poor in society.” Emphasizing that every Nigerian youth deserves access to quality education to ensure a brighter future for the nation.

The Iyaloja-General expressed gratitude to the Governing Council of Havilla University, led by the Chancellor, Hon Jones Tangban, a former member representing the Ikom/Boki federal constituency, for their exceptional leadership, which has ranked Havilla University among Africa’s leading institutions.

In his remarks, Tangban thanked Iyaloja-General for her generosity, noting that her gesture aligns with the Renewed Hope Agenda of President Tinubu’s administration, even though the scholarships are personally funded.

The scholarship program adds to her extensive record of educational support, with thousands of beneficiaries across institutions such as Philomath University, GrandPlus College of Education, Kwara State, and Foreign Link Academy campuses nationwide.

Iyaloja-General had earlier commissioned the Folasade Tinubu-Ojo Complex of the institution and later laid the foundation for the Folasade Tinubu-Ojo Centre for Vocational Studies at the University grounds to further strengthen her legacy in educational development.

In her closing remarks, Iyaloja-General urged prospective beneficiaries to embrace the opportunity with all seriousness now and in the near future.

Metro

FG Launches CNG, EV Northern Corridor in Kano

Published

on

Share

The Federal Government through the Presidential Initiative on Compressed Natural Gas and Electric Vehicles (Pi-CNG & EV), is set to inaugurate the Northern Corridor of CNG and EV programme on Thursday in Kano.

The Head, Brand and Communications, Onyekachi Eke disclosed this while speaking ahead of the event in Kano.

Eke said the programme is aimed at promoting cleaner and more affordable transportation alternatives across Northern Nigeria.

She said the Vice President, Kashim Shettima, Gov. Abba Kabir-Yusuf of Kano State, Gov. Umar Namadi of Jigawa State and Gov.

Dikko Radda of Katsina State were among other dignitaries expected to attend the event.

According to her, the programme supports the Federal Government’s efforts to expand access to alternative fuel transportation and reduce dependence on traditional fuels.

“The event will bring together stakeholders from government, the private sector, and the transport industry to activate the expansion of CNG and EV infrastructure and adoption in the region.

“Activities scheduled for the launch include demonstrations of clean mobility solutions currently being deployed across the country and the unveiling and commissioning of CNG and EV assets and infrastructure,” Eke said.

The launch is also expected to provide a platform for stakeholder engagement and collaboration on the development of Nigeria’s clean mobility ecosystem.

Continue Reading

Metro

Kano Warns Pilgrims against Taking Kola-nut to Saudi Arabia

Published

on

Share

From Rabiu Sanusi, Kano

The Kano State Pilgrims Welfare Board has called on all intending pilgrims from the state to strictly comply with the rules and regulations guiding the 2026 Hajj exercise, particularly the directive prohibiting the transportation of kola-nut and other contraband items to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.

The Director General of the Board, Abubakar Ibrahim Matawalle, made the call following a meeting with security agencies and stakeholders on preparations for the forthcoming pilgrimage.

According to the Director General, the restriction on kola-nut is a directive from the Saudi Arabian authorities aimed at ensuring the safety, security, and smooth conduct of Hajj operations.

He urged all pilgrims from Kano State to fully cooperate with officials by refraining from carrying prohibited items during their journey.

He added that pilgrims should avoid taking kola-nut and all other contraband items and advised them to strictly respect and adhere to the rules and regulations of the Saudi Arabian authorities as well as those of Nigeria to ensure a successful Hajj exercise.

The Board further emphasized its commitment to ensuring that all pilgrims from Kano State perform their religious obligations in a peaceful, orderly, and lawful manner.

The Kano State Pilgrims Welfare Board also appealed to intending pilgrims to remain law-abiding, cooperate with security personnel and attend all scheduled orientation and enlightenment programmes organized by the Board ahead of their departure.

Continue Reading

Metro

Nollywood Star Alex Ekubo Dies at 40

Published

on

Share

Popular Nollywood actor, Alex Ekubo, is dead. He was 40.

His death was confirmed on Tuesday by his colleagues, Funke Akindele, Bolanle Ninalowo, and Godwin Nnadiekwe, who claimed to be his ally.

Sharing on her Instagram story, Akindele wrote, “Hmmmmmm.

Rest in peace, Alex.
I tried to reach out to see you one more time, but I guess you knew best. May your kind soul rest in peace, Alex. ‘Ore mi like you fondly called me, I will always remember and cherish the good times we shared together. Rest in Peace, Alex.”

Meanwhile, Ninalowo, who is now in the United States, also mourned on his page, writing, “Rest on, Alex.

May God heal your family and us all.”

Nnadiekwe, on the other hand, shared, “I’m struggling to find the words. This news has truly broken me. Nollywood has lost a rare soul, and I’m lost for words because this wasn’t the plan, Alex Ekubo. To think you already prepared your Will — It’s heartbroken, I can’t quite describe. Rest well, my friend.”

As of the time of filing this report, his family has not issued a statement on his death.

Recall that fans across social media recently expressed concerns for Ekubo following his first public appearance after months of social media silence.

The light-skinned movie star had been absent from Instagram since December 30, 2024, sparking speculation about his well-being.

However, a recent video that surfaced online brought him back into the spotlight, though it also raised further questions.

In the viral clip, Ekubo was seen interacting with a group of children, appearing noticeably slimmer and subdued.

The video, posted by user @AsakyGRN on X (formerly Twitter), was captioned, “Alex Ekubo spotted for the first time since disappearing from social media.”

The footage triggered a wave of emotional reactions from fans, many of whom noted a significant change in his appearance and questioned his wellbeing.

Before his demise, the actor dismissed marriage in favour of his quest to earn more money in the film industry.

In January 2023, his then-lover, Fancy Acholonu, in an interview, revealed that she dated the late actor for five years without them having any intimacy.

The US-based model also called off her wedding to Ekubo in December 2021, after apologising to the film star a year later for calling it off.

Acholonu affirmed her love for the actor, saying that “like our shirt says, Nothing makes sense when we’re apart @alexxekubo you still have my heart.

“I miss you, I love you, and I’m truly sorry for all the hurt & pain you and your family went through with our breakup.”

She noted that her actions were out of character, and she has realised she could have controlled her emotions and not been so overreactive.

However, in a post on his Instagram page, Ekubo implied that he was aware that some people were curious about why he has not yet been married.

The film star said he was more interested in making money. He urged people not to bother about his marital status.

Continue Reading

Advertisement

Top Stories

NEWS28 minutes ago

GAIYD, EFCC Task Boy-child on Integrity as World Marks Int’l Day

ShareBy David Torough, Abuja Stakeholders at the commemoration of the International Day of the Boy Child on Saturday in Abuja...

SPORTS6 hours ago

AFCON Qualifiers: Nigeria to Face Madagascar, Tanzania, Guinea-Bissau

ShareNigeria have been drawn in Group L of the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers, where they will face Madagascar,...

POLITICS6 hours ago

Kalu Commends Tinubu, APC, Constituents after Winning Party Primaries

ShareBy Eze Okechukwu, Abuja The Senator representing Abia North Senatorial District, Orji Uzor Kalu, has expressed gratitude to President Bola...

POLITICS6 hours ago

Protests Rock Conduct of APC Senatorial Primaries in Kogi

ShareFrom Joseph Amedu, Lokoja Controversy and protests marred Monday’s All Progressives Congress (APC) senatorial primaries in Kogi State, even as...

POLITICS6 hours ago

Bichi Community Shows Good Example of Massive Support to APC, Abba Yusuf

ShareFrom Rabiu Sanusi, Kano Kano State Governor, Abba Yusuf has declared support for the re-election bid of the member representing...

POLITICS6 hours ago

Troops Apprehend 16 Suspects, Recover Arms in Nationwide Operations

ShareTroops of the Nigerian Army have apprehended a total of 16 suspects and recovered arms and other items in a...

DEFENCE8 hours ago

Corruption Probe: Nigerians Slam APC Over Clearance of Okowa, Bello

ShareBy Mike Odiakose, Abuja Following All Progressives Congress (APC) primaries for Senatorial aspirants in which former Delta state governor, Senator...

DEFENCE8 hours ago

Responsible Journalism Necessary for National Security – CDS

ShareThe Chief of Defence Staff (CDS), Gen. Olufemi Oluyede says responsible journalism is necessary for national security. Oluyede said this...

Oil & Gas9 hours ago

OPEC Projects Slower Drop in Crude Consumption by Advanced Economies

ShareThe Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC), has revised downward its 2026 global oil demand growth estimates, citing expected...

Uncategorized9 hours ago

Egypt Signifies Investment Interest in Nigeria’s CNG Industry

ShareEgypt’s Natural Gas Vehicles Company (Cargas) has launched ambitious plans to explore expansion opportunities into the Nigerian market and participate...