Connect with us

POLITICS

Fayemi Declares Presidential Ambition

Published

on

Share
Governor Kayode Fayemi of Ekiti will formally declare his intention to contest for president in 2023 on Tuesday in Abuja.
Mr Yinka Oyebode, Chief Press Secretary to Fayemi disclosed this in a statement on Tuesday in Ado-Ekiti.
Oyebode said the declaration tagged: “Unveiling My Nigeria Agenda”, was the climax of the governor’s extensive consultations across the geo-political zones in the last six weeks.
The governor’s image maker said the declaration would also lay to rest,  speculations on whether he would run for the presidency or not.
Oyebode said Fayemi, after discussing his plan to run for the number one office with President Muhammadu Buhari last month, sought counsel, guidance, and support from traditional and political leaders across states.
He said Fayemi’s engagements with political and traditional leaders went on side by side with consultations with his colleague governors, especially those elected on the platform of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC).
“The Nigeria governors forum chairman said the engagements with the traditional rulers, and political leaders provided an avenue to share and listen to their perspectives on the ideal approaches to building a united country based on justice, freedom, equity, and the rule of law.
“As of date, he has conferred with, and shared his vision with no fewer than 20 of the 22 APC governors, in the consultation process that is expected to run till the party’s primaries later in the month,” he said.
Oyebode disclosed that Fayemi had kick-started the consultation in Owo, Ondo State, where he met with the Olowo of Owo, Oba Ajibade Ogunoye.
“Owo is renowned as the seat of progressive politics in the country, and the town where the defunct Action Group (AG) was formed.
“Thereafter, Fayemi met with Afenifere leader, Chief Reuben Fasoranti, (who was his Secondary School principal), and other leaders, of the pan-Yoruba socio-political group, including Chief Olu Falae, and Chief Cornelius Adebayo in Akure, Ondo State capital,” he said.
Oyebode said the Afenifere leaders, haven done a frank assessment of current trends in the country, concluded that the country needed  a leader, a democrat with character, courage, and compassion at this critical period.
“They scored Fayemi high on these points, and gave their blessings for his aspiration,” he said.
Oyebode said Fayemi, in his determination to deepen the consultations, also visited the Osemawe of Ondo, Oba Adesimbo Kiladejo at his palace in Ondo town, and the Deji of Akure, Oba Aladetoyinbo Aladelusi at his palace in Akure.
“The consultation also took him to Ile- Ife, Osun, the cradle of the Yoruba, where he met the Ooni of Ife, His Imperial Majesty, Oba Adeyeye Ogunwusi, who accorded him a grand reception that lasted for hours, interspersed with prayer sessions, and cultural entertainment.
“Fayemi also met with the Olubadan of Ibadan, Oba Lekan Balogun; the Alake of Egbaland, Oba Michael Gbadebo; the Awujale of Ijebu Ode, Oba Sikiru Adetona; and the Akarigbo of Remoland, who is also the chairman of Ogun State Council of Traditional Rulers, Oba Babatunde Ajayi in their respective palaces, where he got royal blessings.
“Fayemi’s consultation train later moved to the palace of Obi of Onitsha, Igwe Nnaemeka Achebe; King (Dr) Dandeson Douglas Jaja, of the Opobo Kingdom, and Chairman of Rivers State  Council of Traditional Rulers.
“He also visited and had talks with the Sultan of Sokoto, His Eminence Muhammadu Sa’ad Abubakar, and the Emir of Gwandu, Alhaji Mohammed Jega during the Salah holiday.
“Both leaders respectively expressed their admiration for his personality and capacity as a bridge-builder and lover of peace,” he said.
The governor’s aide said Fayemi had earlier held a major meeting with members of Ekiti  Traditional Council in Ado-Ekiti, with over 110 Obas in attendance.
According to him, the Ekiti Obas, who were excited at the possibility of one of their sons becoming the next president of the country pledged their unalloyed support for Fayemi’s presidential bid.
“The Ewi of Ado-Ekiti, Oba Rufus Adeyemo Aladesanmi; Ajero of Ijero- Ekiti, Oba Joseph Adewole and Owa Ooye of Okemesi Ekiti, Oba Michael Adedeji, who spoke on behalf of the Obas, said Fayemi is eminently qualified to lead the country in view of his exposure, education, experience, and capacity,” Oyebode added.
Fayemi was governor of Ekiti  from  2010 to  2014.
He also served as Minister of Mines and Steel Development from  2015 to 2018.  (NAN)

POLITICS

Atiku Slams Tinubu Over Fuel Subsidy Policy

Published

on

Share

By David Torough, Abuja

Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar has criticised President Bola Tinubu over the removal of petrol subsidy, accusing the administration of worsening economic hardship while retaining what he described as opaque costs in the petroleum sector.


In a statement issued on Friday by his Senior Special Assistant on Public Communication, Phrank Shaibu, Atiku said Tinubu was wrong to describe his proposed petroleum-sector intervention as economically ignorant.

Atiku argued that the economic conditions that existed before Tinubu assumed office had changed significantly following the removal of fuel subsidy, the floating of the naira and rising inflation.

He said his proposal was not a return to the previous open-ended subsidy regime but a targeted, capped, budgeted and time-bound production-support mechanism that would be independently audited and linked to domestic production.
According to him, the government removed the benefit of subsidy from consumers while allegedly retaining substantial petroleum-sector under-recoveries and energy-security costs.
The statement cited figures from NNPC’s audited accounts, claiming approximately ₦17.5 trillion in energy-security costs and petroleum under-recoveries, including about ₦7.13 trillion classified as energy security and ₦8.67 trillion in under-recoveries.
“If subsidy is dead, why are under-recoveries alive?” Atiku asked, arguing that Nigerians had been left with higher costs while questions about government expenditure remained unresolved.
He also rejected the Presidency’s argument that increased Federation Account Allocation Committee (FAAC) disbursements to states represented a major benefit of subsidy removal.
Atiku said higher allocations to state governments should not be celebrated if they came at the expense of household purchasing power, citing rising transport costs, food prices and production expenses.
He further argued that increased FAAC allocations could encourage states to depend on federal transfers instead of expanding their productive economies, attracting investment and broadening their internally generated revenues.
The former vice president also demanded explanations for what he described as approximately ₦30 trillion in Federation Account revenues, deductions, savings and transfers, as well as ₦12.8 trillion allocated to the Service-Wide Vote in the 2026 budget.
Atiku said the administration should provide greater transparency over its finances rather than dismissing criticism of its economic policies.
He maintained that the success of economic reform should not be measured solely by rising government revenues while citizens experience declining purchasing power.
“The real ignorance is believing suffering is economic policy,” Atiku said.
He accused the Tinubu administration of transferring the burden of fiscal adjustment to ordinary Nigerians and warned against subjecting the country to another four years of what he called a failed economic experiment.
The statement was signed by Shaibu on behalf of Atiku, the 1999–2007 vice president and presidential candidate of the African Democratic Congress (ADC).

Continue Reading

POLITICS

2027 Elections: IGP Cautions Youths against Political Violence, Misinformation

Published

on

Share

The Inspector-General of Police, Olatunji Disu, has cautioned Nigerian youths against being used for political violence, misinformation and digital intimidation ahead of the 2027 general elections across the country.

Disu gave the warning on Thursday in Abuja during the National Youth Leadership and Security Dialogue organised by the Nigeria Police Force to commemorate the 2026 International Youth Day celebration.

According to him, as we approach the 2027 electoral cycle, I urge you to remember a very simple, but profound reality that politicians contest elections, but you leave with consequences thereafter.

He said that political actors often reconciled after elections, in spite of fierce campaigns, and might later become allies and guests of one another when political disagreements were resolved amicably over time.

Disu said the Nigeria Police Force recognised and respected the rights of youths to participate in politics, support parties, express opinions and campaign freely for candidates of their choice.

“Our responsibility is to create a security environment in which these democratic rights can be experienced freely and safely.

“We will protect citizens, facilitate peaceful campaigns, secure candidates, campaign venues and public spaces within the law.

“We will protect the integrity of the electoral environment, but will not protect violence, tolerate the recruitment or mobilisation of young Nigerians for political violence.

“I therefore appeal to everybody to be cautious as we approach the 2027 electoral process,” Disu said, urging collective responsibility in safeguarding peace and democratic values across Nigeria.

The police chief also urged youths to become drivers of national transformation rather than instruments of destruction through the spread of false information and harmful online content.

According to him, every young Nigerian using a smartphone should recognise that digital activities leave permanent records that could influence opportunities and shape future prospects significantly.

“You know now, the moment you go to the embassies for your visa, they are checking you on social media to see what and what you are doing.

“So, your footprints are very important, so before you forward a message, verify it and before you publish or circulate, establish the facts,” he advised youths nationwide.

Continue Reading

POLITICS

Osun Governorship Election: BON Hails INEC, Calls for Prosecution of Offenders

Published

on

Share

The Broadcasting Organisation of Nigeria (BON) has called for immediate prosecution of all those found to have committed electoral crimes during last Saturday’s Osun governorship election.

The organisation, in a statement by its Executive Secretary, Dr Yemisi Bamgbose in Abuja on Thursday, said that the prosecution would serve as a deterrent to others.

Bamgbose also congratulated the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) for the conduct of a transparent, free, fair and credible governorship election in the state.

According to him, INEC, under Prof.

Joash Amupitan, has passed the real litmus test in Osun.

He said that the outcome of the election, if improved upon, could serve as a model for subsequent elections in the country.

“INEC deserves commendation for deploying all that was required to ensure the realisation of a free and fair election,” he said.

Bamgbose also commended security agencies for providing adequate security which, he said, helped to minimise tension and criminality during the election.

“It is imperative that INEC ensures the prosecution of all persons who perpetrated electoral crimes to serve as a deterrent to others.

“We therefore call on INEC and other relevant agencies to ensure strict enforcement of electoral laws and prosecution of all offenders,” Bamgbose said.

Continue Reading

Advertisement

Top Stories

DEFENCE17 hours ago

Military Rescues 48 Kidnap Victims, 47 Terrorist Family Members Surrender Nationwide – DHQ

ShareBy David Torough, Abuja The Armed Forces of Nigeria (AFN) rescued at least 48 abducted persons, neutralised several terrorists and...

POLITICS17 hours ago

Atiku Slams Tinubu Over Fuel Subsidy Policy

ShareBy David Torough, Abuja Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar has criticised President Bola Tinubu over the removal of petrol subsidy,...

NEWS17 hours ago

Benue Gov’t Restates Commitment to Protection of AGYW, Non-Discriminatory Healthcare

ShareBy Attah Ede, Makurdi The Benue State Government has reaffirmed its commitment to protecting the dignity and rights of Adolescent...

United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF)
NEWS1 day ago

UNICEF Training: Communication experts charge media practitioners to champion child-rights protection

ShareFrom Attah Ede and Sylvia udegbunam, Port Harcourt Seasoned communication experts and veteran broadcasters, on Thursday, enjoined media practitioners both...

NEWS1 day ago

UNICEF Trains Journalists on Ethical Reporting

ShareFrom Attah Ede and Sylvia Udegbunam, Port Harcourt The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF), on Wednesday, opened a two- day...

Entertainment/Arts/Culture2 days ago

Grammy-winning Singer, Angelique Kidjo Immortalised on Hollywood Walk of Fame

ShareFive-time Grammy winner, Angelique Kidjo, has become the first African musician to be honoured with a star on the Hollywood...

Entertainment/Arts/Culture2 days ago

Singers Wande Coal, Davido Clash over Unreleased Collaboration, ‘Come My Way’

ShareNigerian singers Wande Coal and Davido have clashed on social media over an unreleased collaboration,“Come My Way”. The disagreement was...

Entertainment/Arts/Culture2 days ago

Tonto Dikeh to Renovate Churches in Birthday Tribute to Pastor Jerry Eze

ShareActress and humanitarian Tonto Dikeh has announced a church support initiative through The New Wine Prophetic Tabernacle to mark the...

Entertainment/Arts/Culture2 days ago

BBNaija S11: Kamsy Reveals Plans after Reality Show Exit

ShareEvicted Big Brother Naija Season 11 housemate, Kamsy Uzoma, has revealed her plans for life after leaving the reality show,...

Entertainment/Arts/Culture2 days ago

Bobrisky Slams Nigerians for Dragging Kaycee Luxury over NDLEA Arrest

ShareCrossdresser, Bobrisky, has blasted Nigerians dragging luxury shopper, Kaycee Luxury, online following his arrest by the National Drug Law Enforcement...