By Laide Akinboade, Abuja
The Federal Government on Wednesday, has confirmed five new cases of Coronavirus.
Minister of Health, Osagie Ehanire, stated this while briefing journalists in Abuja. He said the total number of confirmed cases has risen to 8 people.
According to him, “The Federal Ministry of Health (FMoH) unfortunately confirms 5 new cases of COVID-19 in Nigeria within the last 36 hours, bringing total number of confirmed cases in Nigeria to 8.
“Of the 5 new positive cases 3 arrived from the United States, while 2 came in from the United Kingdom. We are still collating information on the travellers; 2 of the 3 from the US are Nigerian, a mother and child, making the 6 week old baby the youngest COVID-19 patient we have, and the 3rd is an American national, who crossed the land border and becomes the first COVID-19 case not arriving by air.The 2 cases from the UK are Nigerians”.
The Minister said, “a detailed travel history of each person is being compiled and contacts currently being traced, to identify persons who have recently been in contact with anyone.
The National Emergency Operations Centre (EOC) led by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) and supported by partners, is supporting response in the states.
The Federal Government through Federal Ministry of Health is conducting risk assessment to help guide decision making”.He therefore urged the citizens not to panic, but allow experts in public health to guide response in a calculated, scientific manner.
“False information and rumour to cause fear and panic must be avoided at such times. The COVID-19 cases so far appear to have mild symptoms and are in recovery.
“To protect yourselves and your families, I urge everyone to continue to take care and caution as advised. Government will do the needful to protect citizens’ health”, he said.