NEWS
INEC Meets Stakeholders, Assures of Readiness for Edo Election
The Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission, Prof. Mahmood Yakubu, on Wednesday assured stakeholders in Edo of the commission’s readiness for the Sept. 21 governorship election.Yakubu told the stakeholders in Benin to cooperate with the commission to ensure credible election.
Yakubu noted that the meeting was a tradition convened on the eve of major off-cycle governorship elections and jointly addressed by the INEC chairman and the Inspector-General of Police. He explained that the purpose was to interact with political parties and candidates, accredited observers, the media and other stakeholders on the preparations for the election.“In particular, the IG will address us on security preparations for the elections, while I will address you on the electoral preparation and together, we will respond to issues and concerns you may wish to raise, ” he said.The chairman said on the part of INEC, active preparations for the election started last year with the release of the timetable and schedule of activities for the election as required by law.He disclosed that 13 statutory activities were listed beginning with the publication of the notice of election and ending with the election day, adding that 11 out of the 13 activities had been concluded.“We have already published the final list of candidates. However, there are two adjustments to the list.“By court order, the commission has replaced the running mate to the candidate of the Labour Party.” Similarly, the National Rescue Movement (NRM), which could not file its nomination on schedule has obtained a court order to compel the commission to include the party on the ballot.“We have complied with the court order. Consequently, 18 political parties are now participating in the 2024 Edo state governorship election,” he added.The chairman disclosed that following the conclusion of the recent Continuous Voter Registration (CVR) in Edo, 184,438 Permanent Voters Cards (PVCs) were delivered to the state.He said the figure was made up of 119,206 new voters and 65,232 verified applications for transfer into Edo, transfer within the state, cards reprinted or replaced as provided by law.He stated that the commission had already announced that Edo State now has a total of 2,629,025 registered voters.He added that, softcopies of the entire voters register of voters have made available to each political party fielding candidates in the election.“In the next few days, the commission will publish the detailed breakdown of PVCs collected for each of the 4,519 polling units across the state.” Meanwhile, all uncollected PVCs will be mopped up from the 18 local government areas and warehoused in the Central Bank of Nigeria until after the election“INEC had so far accredited 134 groups (124 domestic and 10 international) deploying 1,836 observers and accredited 114 media organisations deploying 721 journalists.“We have also accredited thousands of agents representing candidates and political parties at the 4,730 polling and collation locations.“There are 4,519 polling units, 192 ward collation centres, 18 local government collation centres and the state collation centre.“We are deploying the BVAS machines for voter accreditation and for upload of results to the INEC Result Viewing (IReV) portal, ” he said.The Chairman, Inter-party Advisory Committee (IPAC) Dr Greg Igbinomwanhia, urged political parties to play by the rules to ensure free, fair and credible election.Chairmen and candidates of different political parties took turns to deliver their goodwill messages and also raised concerns about the the election. (NAN)NEWS
Benue Not Owing Workers’ Salary – Odey
By Attah Ede, Makurdi
The Benue State government has debunked reports in some sections of the media including DAILY ASSET NEWSPAPER over alleged owing of Workers’ Salary.
Deputy Governor, Dr. Sam Odey who refuted the media claims on Sunday in Makurdi said the state government was only carrying out workers verification exercise, which according to him, they will be paid accordingly after the conclusion of the exercise.
Odey, who said the state government remains committed to the welfare of workers, urged media organizations to always verify the sources of their information before going public.
NEWS
Dangote Invests $4bn Fertilizer Plant in Ethiopia
The President of Dangote Industries Limited, Aliko Dangote, received a hero’s welcome in Gode, Ethiopia, on a visit tied to his group’s fertiliser plant project in the country.
He was hosted by Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed, and both men visited the construction site of the proposed facility on Sunday.
Ethiopia signed a shareholders’ agreement with Dangote Group in August last year for the establishment of a urea plant with an annual production capacity of three million metric tonnes.
Construction was officially launched in October 2025. The joint venture is structured with Dangote holding 60 per cent and Ethiopian Investment Holdings, 40 per cent.
Dangote announced an increase in the project’s total investment from $2.
5 billion to over $4 billion.The Dangote Group statement read, “Dangote announced an increase in investment from $2.5 billion to over $4 billion, reflecting expanded scope, including a 110km pipeline, a 120MW power plant, a polypropylene packaging facility, and a two-million-tonne NPK blending plant.”
Abiy, who accompanied Dangote on the site visit, described the project as central to Ethiopia’s development agenda.
The prime minister said in a statement, “This initiative represents far more than infrastructure. It is a strategic investment in Ethiopia’s agricultural transformation, food security, industrial growth, and economic self-reliance.”
He said the plant would deliver broad national benefits upon completion.
“Once completed, the fertiliser plant will play a vital role in strengthening local production capacity, reducing dependence on imports, supporting millions of farmers, and creating new opportunities for jobs and investment,” he said.
Abiy said he was encouraged by what he observed on the ground.
“This morning, together with Aliko Dangote, I visited the project site in Gode to assess the progress achieved so far. I am encouraged by the steady momentum across the project area.
“Construction activities are advancing as planned across multiple sections of the site, reflecting the strong commitment and collaboration driving this important national project forward,” he stated.
The Dangote Group statement added, “The project reinforces Dangote Group’s commitment to industrial development across Africa.”
NEWS
APC Primaries Shake Up Reps Races in Benue, Nasarawa
From Attah Ede, Makurdi
The All Progressives Congress (APC) House of Representatives primaries for the 2027 general elections produced major upsets in Benue and Nasarawa states, with several incumbent lawmakers losing their bids for re-election.
In Benue State, six serving members of the House of Representatives failed to secure the party’s ticket, as candidates believed to be loyal to Governor Hyacinth Alia swept through key contests.
Chairman of the APC National Assembly Primary Election Committee for Benue, Alhaji Sabiu Mahuta, announced the results on Sunday in Makurdi, stating that only four out of the 11 APC House members retained their tickets, while another lawmaker had earlier defected to the Labour Party before the primaries.
Among those who lost their return tickets were Austin Achado of Gwer East/Gwer West Federal Constituency, David Ogewu of Oju/Obi, Terseer Ugbor of Kwande/Ushongo, Sekav Iyortyom of Buruku, and Dickson Tarkighir of Makurdi/Guma Federal Constituency.
Mahuta said Achado lost to David Nongo, who polled 17,429 votes against the incumbent’s 729 votes. He added that elections in Gbemacha Ward were cancelled over overvoting, while voting in two wards was disrupted after electoral materials were snatched.
In Oju/Obi Federal Constituency, Peter Ogbodo defeated Ogewu with 12,993 votes to 120 votes, while Christopher Ikper emerged winner in Makurdi/Guma after polling 37,844 votes against Tarkighir’s 1,746 votes.
Similarly, Gideon Inyom defeated Iyortyom in Buruku Federal Constituency with 10,470 votes against 1,396 votes scored by the incumbent.
Other winners announced included Anthony Agom for Ado/Ogbadibo/Okpokwu and Pastor Ojotu Ojema, who retained the Apa/Agatu Federal Constituency ticket with 11,305 votes.
Also returned were Regina Akume for Gboko/Tarka Federal Constituency with 19,638 votes and Blessing Onuh for Otukpo/Ohimini with 17,451 votes.
Mahuta explained that although the primaries were conducted on Saturday, delays in the return of some electoral officers due to distance and security concerns necessitated the postponement of collation and announcement until Sunday.
In neighbouring Nasarawa State, two serving House of Representatives members and the Speaker of the State Assembly also lost their bids to clinch APC tickets for the 2027 elections.
Chairman of the APC House of Representatives Primary Election Committee in the state, Musa Shuaibu-Guri, who announced the results in Lafia, said the primaries were successfully conducted in four of the five federal constituencies.
The affected lawmakers were Mohammed Abdulmumini-Ari of Nasarawa/Toto Federal Constituency, Jeremiah Umaru of Akwanga/Nasarawa-Eggon/Wamba, and Speaker of the Nasarawa State House of Assembly, Dr Danladi Jatau.
According to Shuaibu-Guri, Mohammed Al-Bashir won the Nasarawa/Toto ticket with 31,796 votes, defeating Abdulmumini-Ari, who secured 9,039 votes.
In Keffi/Kokona/Karu Federal Constituency, Daniel Ogazi polled 13,083 votes to defeat Jatau, who scored 5,873 votes, while Abdulaziz Danladi got 1,067 votes.
Tony Bala-Shammah emerged victorious in Akwanga/Nasarawa-Eggon/Wamba with 38,333 votes, defeating incumbent lawmaker Jeremiah Umaru, who polled 4,061 votes.
For Lafia/Obi Federal Constituency, Mohammed Al-Makura, who contested unopposed, secured 45,000 votes.
Shuaibu-Guri said results from Awe/Doma/Keana Federal Constituency were still being awaited due to difficult terrain and logistical challenges but expressed confidence that they would be received before Monday morning.
He described the primaries as peaceful and reflective of the wishes of party members, adding that the successful aspirants had fulfilled all constitutional and electoral requirements to emerge as APC candidates for the 2027 general elections.


