DEFENCE
NDLEA Intercepts 24,311kgs of Heroin, Codeine in Lagos Port
The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) has seized over 24, 311 kgs of heroin and codeine, as well as Arizona and Colorado variants of cannabis in fresh drug busts in Lagos.
NDLEA spokesman, Mr Femi Babafemi, who revealed this in a statement, made available to the News Men, on Sunday, in Abuja, added that the seizure was made at the Murtala Mohammed International Airport (MMIA), Ikeja, and the Tincan seaport, Apapa, in Lagos state.
NDLEA had in a similarly action a week ago intercepted N6 billion worth of Amphetamine, popularly known as ‘jihadists’ drug’ at the Apapa port in Lagos.
Babafemi noted that the first seizure was on Friday, Sept.
3 at the Skyway Aviation Handling Company Plc (SAHCO) export shed of MMIA, which also led to the interception of two consignments containing 10.350kg heroin and 25.2kg cannabis from South Africa.He stated that in a series of operations between Saturday, Sept. 4 and Monday, Sept. 6 at different locations in Lagos, four suspects were arrested.
‘’This included one Mrs. Bello Kafayat Ayo, who was picked from Shino Street, Palmgrove area of the state,’’ he added.
According to him, at the Tincan seaport, Apapa, narcotic officers intercepted a 40ft container, loaded with 22,590 kgs of Barcadin Codeine syrup on Monday, Sept. 6.
“This was followed by an intelligence report received from international partners on the container since May, 2021.
“The container was also found to include 4,020.03kg of analgesic tablets and 47 cartons of insulated hot pots used to conceal the illicit drugs, all imported from India.
“Equally, a consignment of Colorado weighing 17.5kg and hidden inside a Grand Caravan Dodge vehicle shipped in a 40ft container from Montreal, Canada, was also seized at the Tincan port, ” he said.
The statement also said that a 20-year-old graduate, Miss Bee Okoro had been arrested in Abuja for producing and selling drugged candies and cookies.
Babafemi noted that a 27-year-old dispatch rider, Idewo Raimi, who handled door-to-door delivery for her was also arrested.
He stated that the suspects who were arrested at Garki, Area 11, Abuja, on Friday, Sept. 10, with a number of their drugged products and 400grams of Loud and Arizona, confessed that they had been in the business for over a year.
Meanwhile, a total of 1,425.2 kgs of compressed blocks of cannabis sativa were seized in a raid at Aviosi outskirt, close to Uzebba, Owan west council area, on Monday, Sept.6, in Edo state.
Similarly, one Yahaya Mamman was also nabbed along Zaria-Danja road, in Kaduna state, with 10.3kg Tramadol and 60.5kg Exol-6 on Monday, Sept. 6.
“The previous day, Thursday, Sept. 5, one ThankGod Danladi was also arrested at Tudun Wada area of Jalingo, the Taraba state capital with 44.2kg of cannabis.
“In the same vein, NDLEA operatives in Kwara state on Tuesday, Sept. 7, arrested a 36-year-old lady, Yusuf Sherifat.
“Sherifat, who recently completed a jail sentence following her conviction by a Federal High Court in Ilorin, was arrested for dealing in 22 grams of crack cocaine.
“Her latest arrest along Specialist Hospital road, Alagbado, Ilorin, followed an intelligence report that she had resumed the sale of crack cocaine in Ilorin metropolis.
“This time around, she devised other means of delivering drugs along the road to known customers who contact her via telephone, ” he said.
The NDLEA spokesperson added that raids across Gombe state between Wednesday, Sept. 1 and Friday, Sept. 10, led to the arrest of nine drug dealers from whom assorted illicit drugs, weighing over 150kg were recovered.
“One of such was the interception of a DAF truck loaded with 128kg of psychotropic substances coming from Onitsha, Anambra state, along Gombe-Yola road, ” he added.
NDLEA Chairman, retired Brig. Gen. Buba Marwa, has in the meantime commended the commanders, officers and men of the various commands for their resilience and bravery.
He said that the series of arrests and seizures across the country further affirmed NDLEA’s zero tolerance for production, trafficking and abuse of any illicit substance.
The NDLEA spokesman warned drug dealers, who were yet to have a change of heart to be ready to contend with the Agency. (NAN)
DEFENCE
Why I’m Not Afraid to Face Tinubu in 2027 — Adebayo
Says Hunger, Poverty More Important Than Regional Politics
By Mike Odiakose, Abuja
The presidential candidate of the Social Democratic Party (SDP), Prince Adewole Adebayo, has declared that he is not intimidated by the prospect of facing President Bola Ahmed Tinubu in the 2027 presidential election despite both men coming from the South-West region.
Adebayo said the SDP would not play ethnic politics ahead of the election, insisting that millions of Nigerians battling hunger, unemployment and rising living costs are more concerned about survival than regional identity.
“We don’t think like that in SDP. A hungry person in the South West is still hungry.
Someone buying petrol at outrageous prices won’t care about regional identity,” he said during an interview shortly after emerging as the SDP presidential candidate for the 2027 elections.The SDP flag bearer said the focus of his party would be on addressing the economic hardship confronting ordinary Nigerians through policies centred on education, healthcare, jobs and social welfare.
According to him, the SDP represents a different ideological direction from the ruling All Progressives Congress, which he accused of prioritising politics over governance.
“SDP is the party that has solutions to your social problems. It’s a party meant for ordinary people. When you wake up in the morning, you think about feeding your family, transport costs, education, food, healthcare, jobs and survival — those are the issues social democratic parties focus on,” he said.
He argued that unlike the APC, which he accused of focusing mainly on electoral victories, the SDP is committed to improving the living conditions of Nigerians.
“A social democrat won’t wake up and remove subsidy without thinking about the impact on transport, food, housing, jobs and people’s savings. But if you are APC, your focus is on winning elections and congratulating yourselves afterward,” he stated.
On the crisis rocking the SDP following the legal troubles involving the party’s former national chairman, Adebayo declined detailed comments, citing his professional responsibility as a lawyer.
“Once you start with something being in court, especially someone who is at the risk of losing his liberty and facing a criminal trial, it is unethical for me to comment on it,” he said.
He, however, maintained that party officials must be held accountable while due process is respected.
“If you want to discipline somebody, you have to follow the law, and if you are facing disciplinary action, you have to respect it,” he added.
The SDP candidate also condemned the destruction that occurred at the party secretariat during the crisis, accusing the police of complicity.
“It’s the police that brought them, and the police used them to pull down the gates because they didn’t want to do it themselves,” he alleged.
Adebayo further accused the ruling APC of attempting to destabilise opposition parties through infiltration.
“Yes, we are dealing with that. It is the desire of President Tinubu to be the only person in the race,” he said.
On education, the SDP flag bearer strongly criticised recent policy changes in the sector, describing them as a deliberate lowering of standards.
“These are not reforms; they are deformations. The lowest-quality people are in government, and they want standards to fall because an educated population asks questions and challenges bad governance,” he said.
He also rejected the Federal Government’s student loan scheme, describing it as unconstitutional and harmful.
“Student loans are a crime against the constitution and against the people,” Adebayo declared.
According to him, education should be free and accessible because investing in education is essential for national development and security.
“Why should students borrow money for education if education is supposed to be free, compulsory and qualitative?” he queried.
He warned that failure to properly educate young Nigerians would worsen unemployment, insecurity and social instability.
“You will turn scientists into taxi drivers. You destroy civilisation, and insecurity grows because the people who should become innovators are abandoned,” he added.
DEFENCE
COAS Welfare Flight Moves 341 Personnel into, Out of North East Theatre – Army
The Nigerian Army has successfully conducted its Chief of Army Staff (COAS) second welfare flight for May, facilitating the movement of 341 personnel into and out of the North East theatre of operations.
Operational report on Sunday revealed that the airlift was carried out on Saturday 16 using a chartered ValueJet aircraft.
The report said the aircraft moved a total of 167 personnel into the Operation Hadin Kai theatre, while 174 personnel were transported out, in a seamless and hitch-free operation.
According to the report, the welfare flight is part of ongoing efforts to boost troop morale, ensure periodic rotation, and enhance operational efficiency within the theatre of operations.
“With the latest movement, the total number of personnel airlifted into and out of the theatre under the COAS welfare scheme has now reached 32,765 since inception,” it said.
The Nigerian Army reaffirms its commitment to sustaining welfare-driven initiatives aimed at supporting troops engaged in counter-terrorism and counter-insurgency operations nationwide.
DEFENCE
OPFY Troops Neutralize Lakurawa Terrorists in Northwest, Recover Arms, Livestock
From Ifeanyichukwu Nwannah, Gusau
Troops of Sector 2, Operation Fansan Yamma in continuation of a series of offensive operations against terrorists and bandits, have neutralized several terrorists, recovered weapons and livestock across Northwest zone.
In Sokoto State, troops responded swiftly to a distress call reporting an attempt by Lakurawa terrorist group to set fire to a Nigerian Immigration Service facility at Ruwa Wiri village in Tangaza Local Government Area of the State.
This was contained in a statement issued by the Acting Deputy Director, Army Public Relations, Division 8, Army/ Sector 2 Operation Fansan Yamma, Lt Colonel Olaniyi Osoba and made available to newsmen.
The statement added that the troops made contact with the terrorists, neutralizing 2 terrorists in the ensuing firefight, while others fled due to overwhelming firepower.
“A subsequent exploitation of the area led to the recovery of 2 AK-47 rifles, several ammunition and motorcycle”, he said.
“In a separate operation, troops deployed in Jibia Local Government Area of Katsina State, while on a fighting patrol, encountered terrorists moving with herds of rustled livestock at Danya Bakwai Settlement.
“The troops engaged the terrorists, forcing them to abandon 62 rustled livestock.The livestock were recovered and subsequently handed over to their rightful owners at the palace of the Daddara District Head in Jibia LGA”
According to the statement, Operation Fansan Yamma remains committed to eradicating terrorism and banditry in the region, urging the public to continue to provide credible information to security forces.


