DEFENCE
Niger Republic: Don’t Take Military Action Against Junta, JNI Cautions
The Jama’atu Nasril Islam (JNI), on Saturday, cautioned Nigeria and the authorities of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) not to take military action against the junta in Niger Republic.
The caution is contained in a statement issued in Kaduna by JNI Secretary General, Prof Khalid Aliyu.
Aliyu said that the JNI, representing the collective voice of the Muslim community, expressed its deep concern over the seizure of power through coup from the democratically elected of Niger Republic, President Mohamed Bozoum .
“We firmly note the relevance of upholding democratic principles and the rule of law to fostering the stability, development and steady progress within nations.
“Without doubts, these are the cornerstones for good governance because democratic principles and the rule of law prevent arbitrary use of force and power and ensure consistency with international human rights, norms and standards,“ Aliyu said.
The JNI commended the efforts so far undertaken by the Nigerian government, particularly the initiation of a dialogue process, aimed at resolving the crisis in Niger Republic.
“While this attempt may not have yielded the desired results, it demonstrates Nigeria’s commitment to peaceful resolutions.
“We acknowledge that dialogue is an invaluable tool in preventing further bloodshed and instability within the Sahel Region already beclouded with many political and security uncertainties.
“Nevertheless, we wish to raise a word of caution against the pursuit of military action as a means to restore democracy“ he said.
According to Aliyu, the interlaced landscape of the northern states of Nigeria and the Niger Republic necessitates a more circumspect and thoughtful action and approach.
He explained that with several Nigerian states sharing borders with Niger Republic, military intervention could have unintended consequences that might impact the peace and stability of both nations.
Aliyu called upon all stakeholders to give concentrate on diplomatic and political resolution of the crisis in Niger Republic.
“We believe strongly that dialogue, cooperation and negotiation are the most effective means to establish lasting peace and stability in the region,“he said.
He said it was equally essential that the international community, including ECOWAS, to continue to engage the junta in peaceful diplomatic discussions aimed
resolving the problem.
He called on Nigerians to turn to God in prayers, seeking His merciful intervention and to guide the country’s leaders toward taking wise decisions and a peaceful resolution of the crisis in Niger Republic.
“Let us pray together for the restoration of peace and order, the protection of human rights and the wellbeing of the people of Nigeria and Niger Republic.
“JNI reiterated its commitment to promoting unity, understanding, and cooperation among all Muslim communities.
“We stand united against any form of injustice, oppression, violence and advocating for a peaceful and harmonious world. (NAN)
DEFENCE
Why I’m Not Afraid to Face Tinubu in 2027 — Adebayo
Says Hunger, Poverty More Important Than Regional Politics
By Mike Odiakose, Abuja
The presidential candidate of the Social Democratic Party (SDP), Prince Adewole Adebayo, has declared that he is not intimidated by the prospect of facing President Bola Ahmed Tinubu in the 2027 presidential election despite both men coming from the South-West region.
Adebayo said the SDP would not play ethnic politics ahead of the election, insisting that millions of Nigerians battling hunger, unemployment and rising living costs are more concerned about survival than regional identity.
“We don’t think like that in SDP. A hungry person in the South West is still hungry.
Someone buying petrol at outrageous prices won’t care about regional identity,” he said during an interview shortly after emerging as the SDP presidential candidate for the 2027 elections.The SDP flag bearer said the focus of his party would be on addressing the economic hardship confronting ordinary Nigerians through policies centred on education, healthcare, jobs and social welfare.
According to him, the SDP represents a different ideological direction from the ruling All Progressives Congress, which he accused of prioritising politics over governance.
“SDP is the party that has solutions to your social problems. It’s a party meant for ordinary people. When you wake up in the morning, you think about feeding your family, transport costs, education, food, healthcare, jobs and survival — those are the issues social democratic parties focus on,” he said.
He argued that unlike the APC, which he accused of focusing mainly on electoral victories, the SDP is committed to improving the living conditions of Nigerians.
“A social democrat won’t wake up and remove subsidy without thinking about the impact on transport, food, housing, jobs and people’s savings. But if you are APC, your focus is on winning elections and congratulating yourselves afterward,” he stated.
On the crisis rocking the SDP following the legal troubles involving the party’s former national chairman, Adebayo declined detailed comments, citing his professional responsibility as a lawyer.
“Once you start with something being in court, especially someone who is at the risk of losing his liberty and facing a criminal trial, it is unethical for me to comment on it,” he said.
He, however, maintained that party officials must be held accountable while due process is respected.
“If you want to discipline somebody, you have to follow the law, and if you are facing disciplinary action, you have to respect it,” he added.
The SDP candidate also condemned the destruction that occurred at the party secretariat during the crisis, accusing the police of complicity.
“It’s the police that brought them, and the police used them to pull down the gates because they didn’t want to do it themselves,” he alleged.
Adebayo further accused the ruling APC of attempting to destabilise opposition parties through infiltration.
“Yes, we are dealing with that. It is the desire of President Tinubu to be the only person in the race,” he said.
On education, the SDP flag bearer strongly criticised recent policy changes in the sector, describing them as a deliberate lowering of standards.
“These are not reforms; they are deformations. The lowest-quality people are in government, and they want standards to fall because an educated population asks questions and challenges bad governance,” he said.
He also rejected the Federal Government’s student loan scheme, describing it as unconstitutional and harmful.
“Student loans are a crime against the constitution and against the people,” Adebayo declared.
According to him, education should be free and accessible because investing in education is essential for national development and security.
“Why should students borrow money for education if education is supposed to be free, compulsory and qualitative?” he queried.
He warned that failure to properly educate young Nigerians would worsen unemployment, insecurity and social instability.
“You will turn scientists into taxi drivers. You destroy civilisation, and insecurity grows because the people who should become innovators are abandoned,” he added.
DEFENCE
COAS Welfare Flight Moves 341 Personnel into, Out of North East Theatre – Army
The Nigerian Army has successfully conducted its Chief of Army Staff (COAS) second welfare flight for May, facilitating the movement of 341 personnel into and out of the North East theatre of operations.
Operational report on Sunday revealed that the airlift was carried out on Saturday 16 using a chartered ValueJet aircraft.
The report said the aircraft moved a total of 167 personnel into the Operation Hadin Kai theatre, while 174 personnel were transported out, in a seamless and hitch-free operation.
According to the report, the welfare flight is part of ongoing efforts to boost troop morale, ensure periodic rotation, and enhance operational efficiency within the theatre of operations.
“With the latest movement, the total number of personnel airlifted into and out of the theatre under the COAS welfare scheme has now reached 32,765 since inception,” it said.
The Nigerian Army reaffirms its commitment to sustaining welfare-driven initiatives aimed at supporting troops engaged in counter-terrorism and counter-insurgency operations nationwide.
DEFENCE
OPFY Troops Neutralize Lakurawa Terrorists in Northwest, Recover Arms, Livestock
From Ifeanyichukwu Nwannah, Gusau
Troops of Sector 2, Operation Fansan Yamma in continuation of a series of offensive operations against terrorists and bandits, have neutralized several terrorists, recovered weapons and livestock across Northwest zone.
In Sokoto State, troops responded swiftly to a distress call reporting an attempt by Lakurawa terrorist group to set fire to a Nigerian Immigration Service facility at Ruwa Wiri village in Tangaza Local Government Area of the State.
This was contained in a statement issued by the Acting Deputy Director, Army Public Relations, Division 8, Army/ Sector 2 Operation Fansan Yamma, Lt Colonel Olaniyi Osoba and made available to newsmen.
The statement added that the troops made contact with the terrorists, neutralizing 2 terrorists in the ensuing firefight, while others fled due to overwhelming firepower.
“A subsequent exploitation of the area led to the recovery of 2 AK-47 rifles, several ammunition and motorcycle”, he said.
“In a separate operation, troops deployed in Jibia Local Government Area of Katsina State, while on a fighting patrol, encountered terrorists moving with herds of rustled livestock at Danya Bakwai Settlement.
“The troops engaged the terrorists, forcing them to abandon 62 rustled livestock.The livestock were recovered and subsequently handed over to their rightful owners at the palace of the Daddara District Head in Jibia LGA”
According to the statement, Operation Fansan Yamma remains committed to eradicating terrorism and banditry in the region, urging the public to continue to provide credible information to security forces.


