Connect with us

DEFENCE

Nigerian Army Deploys GOCs, Appoints new PSOs, Others

Published

on

Share

 The Chief of Army Staff, Lt.-Gen. Faruk Yahaya, has approved the posting and appointment of some top officers to command, instructional and staff positions across formations and units.

The appointments were announced in a statement issued by the Director, Army Public Relations, Brig.

-Gen.
Onyema Nwachukwu, on Thursday in Abuja.

Nwachukwu said the new postings and appointments were done in an effort to reposition the army for operational efficiency.

According to him, those affected in the redeployment include some Principal Staff Officers of the Army Headquarters, General Officers Commanding, Corps Commanders, Commandants of training institutions, Brigade Commanders, Commanding Officers, amongst others.

He said the General Officer Commanding (GOC) 81 Division, Maj.-Gen.Umaru Musa, had been redeployed to 82 as new GOC, while Maj.-Gen. Taoreed Lagbaja moves from 82 Division to 1 Division as new GOC.

The army spokesman said that Maj.-Gen. OC Ajunwa had been moved from Nigeria Defence Section in Brasilia to HQ 81 Division as GOC, while the Commandant, Depot Nigerian Army, Maj.-Gen. Aminu Chinade had been moved to 2 Division as GOC.

He also said that Maj.-Gen. OW Ali had been redeployed from Headquarters Command, Army Records, to AHQ as Chief of Administration (Army), while Maj.-Gen. S Muhammed had been moved from Defence Headquarters to AHQ as Chief of Army Standards and Evaluation (Army).

According to him, Maj.-Gen. James Ataguba moves from AHQ Department of Army Standards and Evaluation to Defence Headquarters and appointed, Director, Peace Keeping Operations, while Maj.-Gen. Adekunle Adesope from Army Finance Corps to DHQ and appointed as Chief of Defence,  Accounts and Budget.

“Maj.-Gen. Usman Mohammed moves from Army Headquarters, Department of Administration, to Nigerian Army Resource Centre and appointment Senior Research Fellow.

“Other senior officers affected in the redeployment are Maj.-Gen. Preye Fakrogha, from DHQ Garrison to Defence Space Administration and appointed Director Policy, Plans and Research, while Maj.-Gen. MO Enendu moves from Nigerian Army College of Logistics to DHQ and appointed Director Psychological Warfare.

“Maj.-Gen. Adikwu Attu moves from DHQ Department of Training and Operations to DHQ Garrison and appointed Commander, while Maj.-Gen. Bernard Onyeuko moves from the Directorate of Defence Media Operations to DHQ Department of Logistics and appointed Director Procurement,” he said.

Nwachukwu said that Maj.-Gen. AM Alabi had been appointed Corps Commander, Nigerian Army Ordnance Corps; Maj.-Gen. A Mohammed, Corps Commander, Nigerian Army Electrical Mechanical Engineers and Maj.-Gen. E Akerejola had been appointed Commander, Corps of Supply and Transport.

He said that Maj.-Gen. AA Fayemiwo had been redeployed from Nigerian Army Welfare Holdings Limited and appointed Chief of Accounts and Budget (Army).

“Senior officers newly appointed as Commandants of Nigerian Army training institutions are Maj.-Gen. P.I. Eze, Commandant, Nigerian Army Ordinance School; Maj.-Gen. AA Adeyinka, as Commandant, Nigerian Army College of Logistics and Maj.-Gen. P.P. Malla appointed Commandant, Depot, Nigerian Army, while Brig.-Gen. UT Otaru has been appointed Acting Commandant, Nigerian Army School of Supply and Transport,” he said.

Other appointments, according to Nwachukwu,  are those of Brigade Commanders.

He said the Chief of Army Staff had directed all the newly appointed senior officers to redouble their effort and commitment to duty in tackling the security challenges bedeviling the nation, as they assume their new appointments. (NAN)

DEFENCE

Military Rescues 48 Kidnap Victims, 47 Terrorist Family Members Surrender Nationwide – DHQ

Published

on

Share

By David Torough, Abuja

The Armed Forces of Nigeria (AFN) rescued at least 48 abducted persons, neutralised several terrorists and arrested suspected criminals across the country between August 14 and 20, 2026, as troops intensified operations against terrorism, kidnapping, oil theft and other forms of criminality.

According to a statement by the Director of Defence Media Operations, Major General Michael Onoja, the operations recorded successes across the North East, North West, North Central, South South and South East theatres.

In the North East, troops of Operation Hadin Kai rescued three kidnapped victims from Gwamnare Forest in Ningi Local Government Area of Bauchi State, while five others escaped their captors and reunited with their families.

Two victims, however, were killed before troops intervened.

Troops also rescued a 63-year-old Cameroonian national abducted along the Gwoza-Cameroon axis and recovered weapons, including an abandoned AK-47 rifle.

The military said 47 family members of terrorists, comprising women and children, surrendered to troops in Borno State between August 16 and 20. Six terrorist fighters also surrendered during the period, with the military attributing the defections to hunger, insecurity and internal factional clashes within terrorist enclaves.

In the North West, troops of Operation Fansan Yamma rescued 28 abducted victims across Zamfara, Katsina and Sokoto states. Several terrorists were also neutralised, while troops arrested suspects linked to kidnapping and the movement of explosives and supplies to terrorist groups.

The military said one suspect was arrested while transporting 180 units of explosives along the Kaura-Zurmi Road in Zamfara State, allegedly destined for terrorists in Katsina State. Further operations led to the arrest of suspected terrorist informants and collaborators.

In the North Central, troops of Operation Whirl Stroke compelled kidnappers to release 13 victims abducted along the Alloma-Ejule Road in Kogi State. Troops also neutralised suspected kidnappers and terrorists in Nasarawa and Benue states and arrested suspected arms traffickers and kidnappers.

Troops of Operation Enduring Peace in Plateau State recovered firearms and ammunition during operations following an attack on Mwar community in Mangu Local Government Area.
In Kwara State, Operation Savannah Shield troops rescued seven kidnap victims found wandering in bushes around Latandaji in Patigi Local Government Area and neutralised a terrorist in Ifelodun Local Government Area.

In the South South, troops of Operation Delta Safe arrested suspected kidnappers and recovered seven locally made pistols, ammunition and a camouflage vest from a suspect in Delta State.
The military also reported the disruption of three illegal refining sites in Rivers State, where about 85,000 litres of products suspected to be illegally refined Automotive Gas Oil were recovered from dugout pits, sacks and reservoirs.

In the South East, Operation Udo Ka troops dismantled illegal bunkering operations, arrested suspected criminal elements and recovered firearms and ammunition. Troops also discovered and safely disarmed multiple improvised explosive devices in Imo State and cleared 11 IEDs during operations in Ihiala Local Government Area of Anambra State.

The military said its operations were complemented by civil-military cooperation initiatives. During the week under review, the Nigerian Navy commissioned a solar-powered water project for residents of Ward F2 in Surulere, Lagos State, to improve access to potable water.

The Chief of Defence Staff, General Olufemi Olatubosun Oluyede, commended troops for their operational successes and expressed sympathy to families of civilians killed during the operations. He also wished injured security personnel a speedy recovery.

Oluyede further urged Nigerians, traditional rulers and community leaders to continue providing security agencies with useful information, while assuring citizens that the military would sustain its operations until peace and stability are restored across the country.

Continue Reading

DEFENCE

Army Rescues Nine Kidnap Victims, Foils Bandit Ambushes in Three States

Published

on

Share

By David Torough, Abuja

Nigerian Army Troops  recorded fresh operational gains against kidnappers, bandits and terrorists in Kogi, Plateau and Kebbi states.

The Troops  rescued nine abducted commuters, foiled an ambush and recovered weapons and other items linked to criminal groups.

In Kogi State, Troops deployed at Patrol Base Itobe rescued nine commuters abducted by suspected kidnappers along the Ajaokuta–Itobe Road in Ofu Local Government Area.

The rescue followed a swift response to reports of an attack on commuters along the route.

On arriving at the scene, the troops found a Toyota Hiace bus and a Toyota Sienna vehicle abandoned by the roadside, with the passengers missing.

The soldiers subsequently launched a pursuit operation, following the route taken by the fleeing kidnappers towards the outskirts of Adumu Community in Dekina Local Government Area.

The Army said the troops engaged the kidnappers in a firefight, overwhelming the criminals and forcing them to abandon their captives before fleeing into the surrounding bush, with some suspected to have sustained gunshot wounds.

Nine victims were rescued in the operation, comprising two elderly men, two elderly women, four other adult males and an infant.

The victims were evacuated to safety and later handed over to the Nigeria Police, Itobe Area Command, for further action and reunification with their families.

The Army said troops had continued the pursuit of the fleeing kidnappers, while coordinated search operations were ongoing to rescue any remaining victims and apprehend those responsible for the attack.

In Plateau State, troops of Operation ENDURING PEACE also foiled an ambush by suspected bandits during a follow-up operation in Nwur Village, Langtang North Local Government Area.

The operation followed the arrest and interrogation of a suspected bandit, who provided intelligence on the location of a concealed weapon. Troops escorted the suspect to the area to facilitate recovery of the weapon.

However, as the soldiers approached the suspected hideout, members of the criminal group opened fire on them.

The troops responded with superior firepower, killing one of the attackers. The arrested suspect was also killed during the ensuing exchange of gunfire.

A subsequent search of the area led to the recovery of one AK-47 rifle, one AK-47 magazine and two rounds of 7.62mm Special ammunition, which were abandoned by fleeing members of the group.

The troops have continued operations in the area to track down other members of the suspected bandit group and deny them freedom of action.

Meanwhile, in Kebbi State, troops of Sector 2, Operation FANSAN YAMMA, ambushed members of the Lakurawa Terrorist Group who were reportedly moving towards Dandi Local Government Area to carry out an attack.

Acting on credible intelligence about the terrorists’ movement, the troops mobilised and laid a tactical ambush at a known crossing point near Uguwan Hassan village.

The troops made contact with the terrorists and engaged them with superior firepower, forcing the group to abandon its mission and retreat in disarray.

According to the Acting Director of Army Public Relations, Lieutenant Colonel Olayinka Osoba, troops recovered two motorcycles, mobile phones, T&T communication radios and a Nigerien identity card belonging to one of the fleeing terrorists from the Tilbiri Region of Niger Republic.

Osoba said the troops were maintaining aggressive patrols and actively pursuing the fleeing terrorists to safeguard communities in the area.

The latest operations form part of the military’s intensified campaign against kidnapping, banditry and terrorism across the country.

The Army urged members of the public to continue providing timely and credible information to security agencies to facilitate rapid responses to criminal activities.

It also reaffirmed its commitment, in collaboration with other security agencies, to protecting lives and property and restoring security in affected communities.

Continue Reading

DEFENCE

NSCDC Deploys 10,210 Personnel for 2026 Osun Election

Published

on

Share

The Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) has deployed 10,210 personnel to reinforce security during Saturday’s Osun governorship election.

This was contained in a statement by the corps’ Spokesperson, Babawale Afolabi, on Monday in Abuja.

Afolabi said that the personnel deployed comprised 10,000, operational officers while the remaining 210 were from intelligence and specialised tactical units.

He also said that 1,000 of the deployed personnel were drawn from 10 state commands of the corps.

He added that the Commandant General (CG), Ahmed Audi, had directed the deployment of specialised formations with capabilities suited for the security needs of the election.

Afolabi said that the deployment included men of the CG’s Special Intelligence Squad, Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) unit, Specialised Female Squad, Mining Marshals, Special Strike Force, Crack Squad and K9 unit.

”The specialised teams will complement the regular deployment through intelligence gathering, crime prevention, detection, protection of critical assets, crowd control and other security responsibilities within their respective areas of competence,” he said.

Audi assured the people of Osun that the NSCDC would remain professional, impartial and respectful of the rights of all residents throughout the electoral process.

“Our personnel have been properly briefed on the need to be professional, neutral and respectful in the discharge of their duties.

“In the light of the above the NSCDC in collaboration with other security agencies on election duty will not tolerate any activity intended to jeopardise the election process.

”Criminal minded persons and political thugs willing to disrupt the peaceful conduct of the election would face the wrath of the law as prescribed in the electoral act,” he said.

Meanwhile the Osun State Commandant of the corps, Igbalawole Sotiyo, has urged personnel in the state to remain apolitical, maintain strict neutrality and discharge their duties with the highest level of professionalism before, during and after the election.

Sotiyo said that the credibility of the corps and public confidence in its personnel would depend largely on their conduct throughout the electoral process.

He warned against actions capable of undermining the integrity of the corps or compromising the peaceful conduct of the election.

”I urge you not to put the name of the corps into disrepute. Be apolitical, maintain neutrality and respect fundamental human rights.

”Discharge your duties strictly in line with the corps’ Standard Operating Procedures and other extant laws guiding election security operations,” he advised.

The commandant also directed Area Commanders to ensure that personnel under their supervision remained disciplined, professional and responsive to security needs.

He described the NSCDC as a professional, non-partisan agency responsible for protecting lives and property, critical national assets and infrastructure, as well as supporting the maintenance of peace and public order.

He further urged personnel to exhibit civility and respect for the electorate, noting that the election was a constitutional exercise.

He said the role of security personnel was to provide a safe and enabling environment for citizens to exercise their franchise without fear or intimidation.

Sotiyo reiterated the command’s readiness to deploy personnel professionally and responsibly, stressing that the corps would not compromise its neutrality or constitutional responsibilities.

He urged the public to cooperate with security personnel and report suspicious activities through appropriate channels, assuring that the Command would remain vigilant before, during and after the election.

Continue Reading

Advertisement

Top Stories

DEFENCE10 hours ago

Military Rescues 48 Kidnap Victims, 47 Terrorist Family Members Surrender Nationwide – DHQ

ShareBy David Torough, Abuja The Armed Forces of Nigeria (AFN) rescued at least 48 abducted persons, neutralised several terrorists and...

POLITICS10 hours ago

Atiku Slams Tinubu Over Fuel Subsidy Policy

ShareBy David Torough, Abuja Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar has criticised President Bola Tinubu over the removal of petrol subsidy,...

NEWS10 hours ago

Benue Gov’t Restates Commitment to Protection of AGYW, Non-Discriminatory Healthcare

ShareBy Attah Ede, Makurdi The Benue State Government has reaffirmed its commitment to protecting the dignity and rights of Adolescent...

United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF)
NEWS22 hours ago

UNICEF Training: Communication experts charge media practitioners to champion child-rights protection

ShareFrom Attah Ede and Sylvia udegbunam, Port Harcourt Seasoned communication experts and veteran broadcasters, on Thursday, enjoined media practitioners both...

NEWS23 hours ago

UNICEF Trains Journalists on Ethical Reporting

ShareFrom Attah Ede and Sylvia Udegbunam, Port Harcourt The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF), on Wednesday, opened a two- day...

Entertainment/Arts/Culture1 day ago

Grammy-winning Singer, Angelique Kidjo Immortalised on Hollywood Walk of Fame

ShareFive-time Grammy winner, Angelique Kidjo, has become the first African musician to be honoured with a star on the Hollywood...

Entertainment/Arts/Culture1 day ago

Singers Wande Coal, Davido Clash over Unreleased Collaboration, ‘Come My Way’

ShareNigerian singers Wande Coal and Davido have clashed on social media over an unreleased collaboration,“Come My Way”. The disagreement was...

Entertainment/Arts/Culture1 day ago

Tonto Dikeh to Renovate Churches in Birthday Tribute to Pastor Jerry Eze

ShareActress and humanitarian Tonto Dikeh has announced a church support initiative through The New Wine Prophetic Tabernacle to mark the...

Entertainment/Arts/Culture1 day ago

BBNaija S11: Kamsy Reveals Plans after Reality Show Exit

ShareEvicted Big Brother Naija Season 11 housemate, Kamsy Uzoma, has revealed her plans for life after leaving the reality show,...

Entertainment/Arts/Culture1 day ago

Bobrisky Slams Nigerians for Dragging Kaycee Luxury over NDLEA Arrest

ShareCrossdresser, Bobrisky, has blasted Nigerians dragging luxury shopper, Kaycee Luxury, online following his arrest by the National Drug Law Enforcement...