Connect with us

NEWS

12-year-old Girl Electrocuted in Lokoja

Published

on

electrocution
Share
From Joseph Amedu, Lokoja

Tragedy   struck  Logoja  the Kogi state capital following the electrocution of  a 12-year-old  Malama Ramatu Mohammed.

Eye witness told our correspondent that the incident occurred while she was trying to pass a sachet of water to a customer through a hole of a viewing center.

Reports said that the ugly incident could have been averted if the owner of the center identified simply as Babanladi had heed to the warnings about a naked wire hanging on the window of the center.

Residents, who spoke on the incident said that Babanladi deliberately left the naked wire on the window to prevent intruders from watching football matches.

Consequently, residents staged a protest condemning the death, and lamenting that all their warnings in the past had been ignored by Babanladi.

The wire, according to someone who was inside the center, had electricity running through it and people’s bodies kept rubbing on it each time they are inside the viewing center.

When the incident occurred, many of the passionate football lovers who were in the building at about 4.00 watching Egypt versus South Africa match ran out.

Narrating the incident, a friend of the deceased and a food seller, Habibat Ibrahim, told our correspondent that “Ramatu and I were seated together where I sell rice when someone asked her to bring pure water to the viewing center.

See also  Again Herdsmen Strike Benue, Kill Three

“Having waited for her to come back, she did not, I had to trace her to the viewing center where I saw her hanging on the window. I called her and as she refused to answer my call, I then noticed that something must have gone wrong with her.

“I then shouted and called for assistance. Some men came around and removed her hands from a naked wire. As the men noticed that she was already dead, they covered her with cloth.”

Also speaking, another eyewitness, who identified himself simply as Bala, said: “We have been complaining of the way Babanladi is treating viewers in the center. We warned him of the naked wire he connected to the window but he refused to disconnect it”.

A young man who described himself as Salisu recounted, “I was inside the building when we heard a shout and all of us ran outside only to see a lady lying dead beside the window.

Awushetu Muhammed, mother of the late Ramatu Muhammed, in a chat with our correspondent called on relevant authorities to bring Babanladi to book for connecting a naked wire on the window of the viewing center, which she argued was a public place.

The Kogi State Police Commissioner, Hakeem Busari, who confirmed the incident said that the owner of the viewing center ran away after the incident and had been declared wanted.

See also  Group Unveils Business TV Channel on Startimes

“Yes, we are aware about the incident, and we are investigating,we are also after the owner of the center who ran away after the incident, but we are confident that he will not be on the run for ever, we will soon get him to face the full wrath of the law”, he added.

NEWS

Atiku Promises to Address Insecurity, Others Challenges From Day One, if Elected

Published

on

Share

Johnson Eyiangho, Abuja

Presidential Candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Atiku Abubakar, has promised to address the numerous challenges in the country including insecurity, disunity and economic deprivation from day one, if elected President in 2023.

Atiku urged the huge crowd at the PDP campaign rally in Osun State on Wednesday, to vote the party in the next year general elections, saying that doing so would  empower th state with more resources and authority to provide the infrastructure needed for development and industrialisation for the economic benefit of the people.

”I believe by returning PDP to power you will strengthen this authority by voting PDP in the next general elections because a Federal Government controlled by PDP and a state government controlled by PDP in Osun State is to the greater good of Osun people.

”Our only objective is to make sure that the current challenges of insecurity, disunity, economic deprivation, lack of jobs for our young men and women and the future of this country through restructuring can be achieved and this I promise you I am going to start doing them from day one,” he said.

 

Atiku thanked the people of the state for voting for the candidate of PDP, Ademola Adeleke, in the last governorship election in the state.

See also  Buhari Wants MRNA Vaccine Production in Nigeria

”My brothers and sisters of Osun State I have came to thank you and I appeal to you to come out in greater numbers than you did in the last state election and vote for the PDP in the next general election.

’’This is the only way that you can secure your future and the future of your children. We promise you we will not fail you; we are not like APC because we have done it before. We have got the experience, we have got the people who have the capacity to bring about changes,” Atiku said.

His wife, Titi, who hails  from the state, appealed to the people, especially the youths not to sell their vote.

”I know there is hunger in the land and it is APC that brought all these predicaments to us but if Atiku is voted, he is going to change the state of this country not just Osun alone.

”The youths are the most unemployed in Nigeria, Atiku has promised women and youths 60 per cent in his cabinet and he is going to fulfill it. Atiku is a man of his words, he matches his words with action,” she said.

Titi added, ”Nigeriand we are more divided than we were before. Atiku wants to bring unity, to bring this country together. Atiku is going to bring back that lost glory. 

See also  FG to Develop Implementation Guidelines to Address out of School Children

”Atiku is going to unify us, he is a unifier. Atiku has come to rescue Nigeria. Atiku has come to restructure Nigeria. Atiku has come to give our children good education. 

”There will be no Boko Haram, there will be no kidnapping, there will be no abduction. 

”All of these are going to stop but it has to start with you people. If you give Atiku your votes come February 25, that is when it will be possible for Atiku to make you great.”

Continue Reading

Foreign News

Witnesses challenge Israel’s killing of Palestinian

Published

on

Share

An eyewitness to the killing of a Palestinian by Israeli forces has told the BBC he believes the man was shot simply for punching a policeman.

Ammar Mefleh was killed at close range in the occupied West Bank last Friday.

He is the 10th Palestinian shot dead by Israeli troops in the space of a week.

Video of the shooting drew a massive reaction online and sparked a diplomatic rebuke by Israel to a top UN official who said he was “horrified” at the killing.

Israeli officials praised the officer involved saying he responded after the Palestinian stabbed a policeman in the face, and his actions prevented a “mass terror attack”.

Palestinian leaders described it as an execution “in cold blood”.

Mr Mefleh, 22, was killed in the Palestinian town of Huwara, which lies on a main road frequently used by Israeli settlers and has been the scene of growing violence in recent months.

This year in the West Bank more than 150 Palestinians have been killed, nearly all by Israeli forces. The dead include unarmed civilians, militant gunmen and armed attackers.

Meanwhile a series of Palestinian attacks targeting Israelis, as well as militant gunfire at troops during arrest raids, have killed more than 30 people including civilians, police and soldiers. 

See also  Gunmen Kill Two Police Officers, One Expatriate, Abduct Others In Kogi

The footage from Friday, shared extensively online, was rare in capturing in detail part of the event that led up to the shooting. The last 13 seconds are caught in a second video from another angle.

In the recording, the Israeli officer is seen holding Mr Mefleh in a headlock as the pair struggle. Two other Palestinians are in the melee at first, but then step back.

After Mr Mefleh struggles out of the headlock, he tries to grab the policeman’s rifle. As they wrestle over the weapon the officer takes a hand off it – first to try to hit the Palestinian, who strikes him back – then to reach for his pistol.

Mr Mefleh for a split second has hold of the rifle but almost instantly throws it down or lets go of it, recoiling as he sees the officer raise his pistol. The policeman shoots him instantly, four times.

Following his killing, a popular Israeli news website reported that the officer had “eliminated the terrorist”. The footage was repeatedly circulated on Palestinian social media with people appalled at the killing.

The UN’s envoy to the region, Tor Wennesland, tweeted that he was “horrified by today’s killing of a Palestinian man, Ammar Mefleh, during a scuffle with an Israeli soldier,” calling for those responsible to be held accountable.

See also  UK Firm Holds Programme for Nigerian, African Leaders, Launches New Website

A spokesman for the Israeli foreign ministry, Emmanuel Nahshon, tweeted in response that Mr Wennesland’s reaction was a “total distortion of reality”.

“The incident is a terror attack, in which an Israeli policeman was stabbed in his face and the life of another officer was threatened and consequently he shot his assailant,” Mr Nahshon added.

“This is NOT a ‘scuffle’ – this is a terror attack”.

Continue Reading

Foreign News

Latvia Axes Exiled Russian Broadcaster TV Rain

Published

on

Share

Russia’s last independent television channel, TV Rain, has been shut down in Latvia after less than five months on air.

The channel, which is known as Dozhd in Russian, has been accused of showing content that supports Moscow’s invasion of Ukraine.

TV Rain has called the allegations “unfair and absurd” in a post on social media.

It has been ordered to stop broadcasting on 8 December.

TV Rain says it will obey the order but will remain on YouTube, which is where most of its audience watches its content. However, it will no longer be able to broadcast on cable television inside Latvia, which has a large Russian speaking population.

The National Electronic Media Council (NEPLP), Latvia’s media regulator, said the decision to revoke the licence was taken “in connection with threats to national security and public order”.

Earlier this month, the regulator fined the channel €10,000 (£8,613; $10,488) for displaying a map in which occupied Crimea was shown as part of Russia’s territory.

It was also censured for calling the Russian army “our army” in a piece about how to provide recruits with supplies. One of the broadcaster’s hosts, Alexei Korostelyov, was fired as a result.

See also  Buhari Wants MRNA Vaccine Production in Nigeria

The decision has been criticised by many opposition figures in Russia, who argue that TV Rain is an important source of independent information for Russian speakers about the war.

“There is Putin, who started the war. There is TV Rain, which tells the truth about Putin and about the war. Stripping TV Rain of its licence only helps Putin,” said Kira Yarmysh, press-secretary to jailed opposition leader Alexei Navalny.

The charity Reporters Without Borders called the move a “serious blow to freedom of information”.

The channel, which has long been critical of Vladimir Putin and the Russian government, was blocked in Russia in early March, just days after Moscow invaded Ukraine.

Many employees then fled Russia, and later started work on rebuilding Dozhd abroad. It is one of several independent media outlets to have moved its operations out of Russia or suspended them since the invasion.

The State Security Service (VDD) has been investigating the incident and said it has repeatedly warned about the “various risks emanating from Russia’s so-called independent media relocating their activity to Latvia”.

The VDD said these risks include the possible connections of media representatives to Russian intelligence and security services, as well as the danger posed if Moscow seeks to target Latvia as part of measures to influence public opinion online and elsewhere.

See also  Kogi Oil Mogul Regains Freedom From Kidnappers Two Months After

Commenting on its decision to revoke TV Rain’s broadcasting licence, NEPLP added that it “was convinced that the management of TV Rain did not understand the nature and gravity of each individual infringement, nor of any set of infringements”.

Meanwhile, Kremlin spokesperson Dmitry Peskov told reporters that “some always think that there is a place better than home, that there is always more freedom than at home. This is one of the clearest examples that shows that these are the wrong illusions”.

Continue Reading

Top Stories

Uncategorized6 hours ago

Plateau PDP Set to Receive Atiku, Governors, National Leaders in Jos

Share Post Views: 6 From Jude Dangwam, Jos The Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Plateau State Chapter Hon....

POLITICS6 hours ago

NNPP Denies Alliance with PDP

Share Post Views: 9 By Solomon Okoliko, Abuja  The New Nigeria Peoples Party (NNPP) has dissociated itself from the story...

BUSINESS6 hours ago

Factory-resets Infected Devices to Beat Xenomorph Malware, NCC-CSIRT Advises Firms

Share Post Views: 9 A malware, XENOMORPH, that installs Trojan in banking apps on the Android platform to steal login...

Economy6 hours ago

Nigeria’ll Meet OPEC Quota by May 2023 – Sylva

Share Post Views: 11 Minister of State Petroleum Resources, Chief Timipre Sylva, said Nigeria is working to meet the Organisation...

Economy6 hours ago

Give Us Petrol at Official Ex-depot Price, lPMAN Tasks NNPC

Share Post Views: 8 Ejigbo Satellite Depot of the Independent Petroleum Marketers Association of Nigeria (IPMAN) has urged the Nigerian...

economy6 hours ago

Zulum Presents N234.8bn Budget for 2023

Share Post Views: 7 Gov. Babagana Zulum of Borno on Wednesday presented N234.8 billion budget for 2023 fiscal year to...

NEWS6 hours ago

Atiku Promises to Address Insecurity, Others Challenges From Day One, if Elected

Share Post Views: 7 Johnson Eyiangho, Abuja Presidential Candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Atiku Abubakar, has promised to...

DEFENCE1 day ago

Anambra Urges Indigenes to shun IPOB’s Sit-at-home

Share Post Views: 15 Anambra State government has urged its indigenes to shun the sit-at-home protest announced by a faction...

DEFENCE1 day ago

CJN Not Under DSS Investigation – Supreme Court

Share Post Views: 18 The Supreme Court of Nigeria has dismissed insinuation that the Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN), Justice...

DEFENCE1 day ago

One Feared Dead, Others Missing as Gunmen Attack Abuja

Share Post Views: 20 Gunmen yesterday night attacked a residence close to the hill in the Wuse Zone 5 area...

Copyright © 2021 Daily Asset Limited | Powered by ObajeSoft Inc