Foreign News
Ebola Outbreak May be Spreading Faster than First Thought, WHO Doctor Warns
People living close to the epicentre of an Ebola outbreak which has killed 131 people have expressed their fear, as a World Health Organization (WHO) representative warned cases may be spreading faster than originally thought.
One man in the Democratic Republic of Congo’s Ituri province, the epicentre of the outbreak, said infected people were dying “very fast”, and added: “Ebola has tortured us.
”Officials said more than 513 cases were suspected in DR Congo as of Tuesday, while one person has died in neighbouring Uganda.
The WHO’s Dr.
Anne Ancia said that the more the agency investigates the outbreak, the clearer it becomes that cases have spread to other areas.Modelling by the London-based MRC Centre for Global Infectious Disease Analysis released on Monday suggested there had been “substantial” under-detection, and that it could not rule out there had already been more than 1,000 cases.
The study suggested that the current outbreak is “larger than currently ascertained” and that its “true magnitude remains uncertain”.
A man who spoke to journalists and identified himself as Bigboy said people are “really scared” and doing what they can to protect themselves.
He said locals are taking precautions such as washing hands with clean water, but added that he wished they could get access to other protective supplies such as face masks.
Another Ituri local, Alfred Giza, said people in the community are aware of the threat and waiting to receive face masks to protect themselves, but that he would not know what to do if a family member or friend contracted the disease.
The Red Cross warned that Ebola can escalate quickly if cases are not identified early, communities lack information and health systems are overwhelmed, adding that “we are seeing all those conditions” in the current outbreak.
On Tuesday, DR Congo President Félix Tshisekedi called for “calm” and urged Congolese citizens to remain vigilant, after holding a crisis meeting on Monday evening.
WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, who declared the outbreak an international emergency last week, said he was “deeply concerned about the scale and speed of the epidemic”.
It is feared the outbreak may have been ongoing for several weeks before it was first detected on 24 April.
There is no vaccine for the strain of Ebola virus fuelling the latest rise in cases, but the WHO is evaluating whether other drugs may provide protection.
Ancia said DR Congo’s Ituri province was a “much unsecured area with lots of movement of population”, making it difficult for the agency to investigate and help control the disease.
She continued: “The more we investigate this outbreak, the more we realise that it has already spread at least a little bit across borders and also in other provinces.”
The outbreak has spread to the province of South Kivu, where the population has been affected by a humanitarian crisis for many years, she added.
There has also been a case in eastern DR Congo’s biggest city, Goma, which has a population of around 850,000 people and is under the control of Rwandan-backed rebels.
High levels of insecurity in several provinces mean people move around often, increasing the risk and spread of the virus, she said.
Several African countries are taking precautions by tightening border screenings and preparing health facilities. Neighbouring Rwanda has also closed its borders with DR Congo. Uganda has told people to avoid hugging and shaking hands.
An American citizen, believed to be missionary group doctor Peter Stafford, is being evacuated from DR Congo after developing symptoms over the weekend.
Germany’s health ministry told the BBC a US citizen was being taken to the country for treatment.
The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said it was working to evacuate at least six other Americans who were exposed.
WHO and other agencies are working with governments and communities to try to stop the spread of the virus, urging residents to follow preventative measures and report to the nearest health facility if they experience any symptoms.
Ebola is caused by a virus and initially causes symptoms similar to the flu, with fever, headache and tiredness.
As the disease progresses, vomiting and diarrhoea develop and it can lead to organ failure. Some, but not all, patients develop internal and external bleeding.
The virus spreads from one person to another by contact with infected bodily fluids such as blood or vomit.
The Bundibugyo strain fuelling this rise in cases is rare, and has previously only caused two outbreaks, when it killed about a third of those infected.
Between 2014 and 2016, more than 28,600 people were infected by Ebola in West Africa, the largest outbreak of the virus since its discovery in 1976.
It was caused by the Zaire strain, for which there is an approved vaccine.
The disease spread to a number of countries in West Africa and beyond, including Guinea, Sierra Leone, the US, UK and Italy, killing 11,325 people.
Foreign News
Kenya Suspends Strike after Transport Paralysis over High Fuel Prices
Transport operators in Kenya have suspended their nationwide strike following talks with the government over rising fuel prices.
The operators said the suspension will remain in place until next Tuesday to allow for further negotiations with the government.
The move comes after the nationwide strike, which brought the capital Nairobi and other cities to a standstill, entered a second day on Tuesday.
At least four people were killed and 30 injured in Monday’s protests, with more than 700 arrested nationwide, according to the authorities.
On Tuesday, Interior Minister Kipchumba Murkomen said the deal to end the strike came after consultations with public transport representatives, and negotiations “at a higher level” would be conducted within the next week.
“We have had a breakthrough not because we are satisfied, but because we want to give negotiations a chance,” said Edwin Mukabane, the national chairman of the Federation of Public Transport Sector.
“If this is not taken seriously within the seven days, the strike will be back on,” he added
Major roads in Nairobi were still largely empty on Tuesday morning with businesses shut and schools closed.
Like the previous day, many Kenyans were forced to walk to their destinations, although a small number of public transport vehicles reportedly resumed services on some routes.
Police were patrolling parts of the city to maintain security amid reports of protesters blocking some routes.
Police urged demonstrators to remain peaceful, and not to loot and destroy properties.
The Directorate of Criminal Investigations said investigations into Monday’s demonstrations were ongoing, with many of the suspects already arraigned in court.
Kenyan rights group Vocal Africa denounced “the use of lethal force by law enforcement”.
The state-funded Kenya National Commission on Human Rights (KNCHR) called for immediate investigations into the violence and destruction of property, and urged the police to exercise restraint.
In the coastal city of Mombasa, a sense of normality was reported to have returned, with public transport services resuming.
On Monday, groups representing the transport sector held a meeting with the government.
Energy Minister Opiyo Wandayi announced they had agreed to reduce the price of diesel, which had risen to a high of 242 shillings ($1.8; £1.4).
The energy regulator subsequently reduced its cost by 10 shillings while retaining the cost of petrol at 214 shillings.
The reduction, however, fell short of protesters’ demands and the transport sector representatives insisted the strike would continue.
At the end of a subsequent meeting on Tuesday morning, Wandayi said the government would continue to be “sensitive to the plight of petrol consumers” and thanked the transport operators for agreeing to suspend the strike.
The operators are calling for a fuel price cut of up to 46 shillings, to levels last seen before the US-Israel war with Iran that began on 28 February.
Like many other African nations, Kenya relies on fuel from the Gulf, which has been disrupted by the conflict.
Although a ceasefire has been declared, prices remain high as the Strait of Hormuz, where a fifth of the global oil supply passes through, remains blocked.
Last month, the government cut VAT on fuel from 16% to 8% until July but there have been calls for it to do more.
Foreign News
Strike over High Fuel Prices Paralyses Transport in Kenya
Thousands of Kenyan commuters have been stranded and businesses paralyzed as public transport operators went on a nationwide strike to protest against recent increases in the cost fuel.
Key roads in the capital Nairobi remained largely empty, forcing some commuters to walk to work, with other parts of the country also affected by the transport crisis.
Businesses in parts of Nairobi remained shut and schools asked students to stay at home.Protesters have been barricading roads and lighting fires on the roads as the protests continue.
The strike comes days after the authorities raised petroleum prices to record levels, with costs increasing by more than 20%.
Kenya, like many other African countries, relies heavily on fuel imports from the Gulf, a supply route disrupted by the US-Israel conflict with Iran that began on 28 February. Even though a ceasefire has been declared, fuel prices have remained high as the Strait of Hormuz, where a fifth of the world’s oil passes through, is still blocked.
In parts of Nairobi and elsewhere across the country, police clashed with protesters, using tear gas to disperse them. This came amid reports of demonstrators stopping and harassing some motorists.
Ahead of the strike, the police assured Kenyans that security measures would be in place and warned against any disruptive conduct.
The association representing transport operators had earlier urged all vehicle users, including private motorists, public transport buses (locally known as matatus) and truckers, to stay off the roads as part of a coordinated shutdown.
“This action is not only for transport operators, but for every Kenyan citizen,” the Transport Sector Alliance (TSA) said in a statement.
The alliance has accused the government of not doing enough to shield Kenyans from the rising fuel prices, amid a broader high cost-of-living crisis.
It has called for the reversal of the price increases announced last week, and for fuel prices to be reduced by about 35%.
The Energy and Petroleum Regulatory Authority (Epra) on Thursday raised prices to a high of 242 shillings ($1.8; £1.4) a litre for diesel and petrol to $1.65.
Treasury Minister John Mbadi told local NTV station on Monday that the increase in fuel prices was “unfortunate” and acknowledged that it was hurting the economy.
He however said the strike was “completely uncalled for” and the government would only make decisions that are “informed and not emotional”.
“Why are we trying to solve a global problem using domestic means?” he asked.
The high cost of fuel is being blamed for increases in the price of food and other basic goods and services, with public service vehicles already raising commuter fares.
Last month, the government cut VAT on fuel from 16% to 8% until July but there have been calls for it to do more.
Foreign News
Ghana Evacuates 300 from South Africa over Anti-immigrant Protests
Ghana says it will evacuate 300 citizens from South Africa following a recent wave of protests against foreign nationals.
Foreign Minister Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa said in a post on X on Tuesday that the Ghanaian president had granted approval for their “immediate evacuation”.
He said the “distressed” Ghanaians had registered at the country’s embassy in Pretoria to be rescued in response to an advisory by the foreign ministry “Following the latest wave of xenophobic attacks”.
Last week, South African authorities denied that anyone had been attacked, saying the widely circulated videos were fake.
On Monday, South African President Cyril Ramaphosa said the recent “protests and criminal acts directed at foreign nationals” did not reflect government policy, describing them as “isolated acts of criminality”.
He added that South Africa would “regulate migration, secure our borders and enforce our laws”.
Thousands of South Africans joined protests against illegal immigration, demanding the mass deportation of undocumented foreign nationals. Protesters say illegal immigration has had an impact on jobs, housing and crime.
On Tuesday, the Ghanaian embassy in South Africa advised nationals to be highly cautious and prioritise their safety by avoiding public gatherings and shut their shops or businesses in the port city of Durban ahead of a protest planned on Wednesday.
Ghana and Nigeria have recently summoned the South African envoys to their respective countries over the mistreatment and harassment of their citizens.
Ghana has also written to the African Union (AU) asking it to discuss the issue, saying it posed a “serious risk to the safety and wellbeing” of Africans in South Africa.
South Africa responded by saying it had “nothing to hide”. The government has condemned the circulation of what it called “fake videos and images” described by some as recordings of attacks on foreign nationals.
Other countries that have warned their citizens in South Africa include Kenya, Malawi, Lesotho and Zimbabwe.
According to official figures, South Africa is home to more than three million foreigners, or about 5% of the population, but there are believed to be many more without papers.
Xenophobia has long been an issue in the country and has been accompanied by occasional outbursts of deadly attacks.


