security
Gunmen Abduct 10 from Emir’s Palace, Attack Police Station in Kwara
By Julius Tambaya, Abuja
The Kwara State Police Command has confirmed that gunmen have kidnapped 10 people from the Yashikira Emir’s palace in Baruten LGA of the state.
According to a statement on Monday by the spokesperson of the state’s command, Adetoun Ejire-Adeyemi, the gunmen also attacked the Yashikira police station simultaneously around 2am on Monday.
“The armed criminals, in a coordinated and desperate assault at about 0200hrs, simultaneously attacked the Yashikira Police Divisional Headquarters and the Palace of the Emir of Yashikira,” the statement reads.
“During the attack, part of the palace was set ablaze, while ten people were abducted and taken to an unknown destination. However, the attack on the police station was successfully repelled by police operatives on duty.”
Following the incident, the statement added that the Commissioner of Police, Ojo Adekimi, has ordered an intelligence-led tactical operation involving the police, military, forest guards, vigilantes and other security agencies to comb surrounding forests and suspected criminal hideouts in a bid to rescue the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.
The police commissioner assured residents that the command would not succumb to threats or intimidation by criminal elements operating in any part of the state.
“These criminals have declared war against peace-loving citizens, and we are fully prepared to hunt them down relentlessly. We will deploy everything within our operational capacity to smoke them out of hiding, dismantle their networks, rescue all abducted victims and ensure they face the full wrath of the law,” Adekimi said.
The command also assured residents of Yashikira and other parts of Kaiama LGA that security operations had been intensified across vulnerable communities, with surveillance, intelligence gathering and bush-combing operations ongoing.
This latest incident comes after terrorists during church Saturday night vigil killed three persons and abducted 15 worshippers in an attack at Ori-Oke Ajaiye in the outskirts of Ikiran village of Ekiti Local Government Area of Kwara state.
It was gathered that the gruesome attack occurred while the worshippers were observing night vigil at about 20:30hours, thereby causing pandemonium within the surrounding communities.
Meanwhile, the Pentecostal Fellowship of Nigeria (PFN) has urged the Federal Government to demonstrate a firm political commitment to ending insecurity in the country, saying Nigerians can no longer endure the growing wave of violence and hardship.
The appeal was made in Sokoto during a peaceful procession organised by members of the fellowship at the end of a three-day national prayer and fasting programme.
Addressing journalists on behalf of PFN National President, Francis Wale Oke, the Sokoto State Chairman of PFN, Ben Musa, said Christians across the country had united in prayer for peace and divine intervention against insecurity.
“We have called on all PFN members nationwide to stand together in prayer for God to scatter the enemies of Nigeria and restore peace across the country,” Musa said.
Participants at the rally carried placards bearing inscriptions such as “Protect the Innocent,” “Nigeria Must Be Safe,” and “No to Economic Hardship.”
PFN lamented the continued killings, kidnappings, and attacks on innocent citizens, stressing that the government must urgently rise to its constitutional responsibility of safeguarding lives and property.
According to the fellowship, the worsening security situation has become alarming, while many political leaders appear more focused on power and elections than on the protection of citizens.
“Innocent Nigerians are being kidnapped, raped, and killed repeatedly, yet many political elites continue business as usual as though nothing is happening. These are cruel and unacceptable acts of terror,” the group stated.
PFN expressed concern over the activities of bandits, insurgents, and violent herders, saying communities across the country were living in fear.
“We are deeply burdened by the unchecked activities of bandits, murderous herdsmen attacking farmers, and Boko Haram insurgents using religion as a cover to unleash violence on peaceful Nigerians,” the statement added.
The organisation also criticised what it described as a lack of decisive political will to end terrorism and violent attacks nationwide.
“We are saddened by the apparent failure of the government to crush these evils decisively. Empty promises have not helped the situation, while insecurity continues to spread,” PFN said.
The fellowship further faulted the rehabilitation of repentant insurgents, insisting that greater efforts should be directed towards protecting innocent citizens and punishing perpetrators of violence.
“Nigerians are tired of the bloodshed and the seeming focus on politics rather than deploying the full strength of the government to defeat those killing innocent citizens,” it added.
PFN called for immediate and practical measures to halt the killings, warning against allowing insecurity to become normalised in the country.
“The blood of innocent Nigerians demands more than promises. It requires urgent and effective action,” the group declared.
Despite the challenges, PFN expressed confidence that Nigeria would overcome its security crisis through prayer and responsible leadership.
“We believe God is able to break the cycle of violence, secure the release of captives, and restore lasting peace to Nigeria,” the fellowship said.
DEFENCE
Military Rescues 48 Kidnap Victims, 47 Terrorist Family Members Surrender Nationwide – DHQ
By David Torough, Abuja
The Armed Forces of Nigeria (AFN) rescued at least 48 abducted persons, neutralised several terrorists and arrested suspected criminals across the country between August 14 and 20, 2026, as troops intensified operations against terrorism, kidnapping, oil theft and other forms of criminality.
According to a statement by the Director of Defence Media Operations, Major General Michael Onoja, the operations recorded successes across the North East, North West, North Central, South South and South East theatres.
In the North East, troops of Operation Hadin Kai rescued three kidnapped victims from Gwamnare Forest in Ningi Local Government Area of Bauchi State, while five others escaped their captors and reunited with their families.
Two victims, however, were killed before troops intervened.Troops also rescued a 63-year-old Cameroonian national abducted along the Gwoza-Cameroon axis and recovered weapons, including an abandoned AK-47 rifle.
The military said 47 family members of terrorists, comprising women and children, surrendered to troops in Borno State between August 16 and 20. Six terrorist fighters also surrendered during the period, with the military attributing the defections to hunger, insecurity and internal factional clashes within terrorist enclaves.
In the North West, troops of Operation Fansan Yamma rescued 28 abducted victims across Zamfara, Katsina and Sokoto states. Several terrorists were also neutralised, while troops arrested suspects linked to kidnapping and the movement of explosives and supplies to terrorist groups.
The military said one suspect was arrested while transporting 180 units of explosives along the Kaura-Zurmi Road in Zamfara State, allegedly destined for terrorists in Katsina State. Further operations led to the arrest of suspected terrorist informants and collaborators.
In the North Central, troops of Operation Whirl Stroke compelled kidnappers to release 13 victims abducted along the Alloma-Ejule Road in Kogi State. Troops also neutralised suspected kidnappers and terrorists in Nasarawa and Benue states and arrested suspected arms traffickers and kidnappers.
Troops of Operation Enduring Peace in Plateau State recovered firearms and ammunition during operations following an attack on Mwar community in Mangu Local Government Area.
In Kwara State, Operation Savannah Shield troops rescued seven kidnap victims found wandering in bushes around Latandaji in Patigi Local Government Area and neutralised a terrorist in Ifelodun Local Government Area.
In the South South, troops of Operation Delta Safe arrested suspected kidnappers and recovered seven locally made pistols, ammunition and a camouflage vest from a suspect in Delta State.
The military also reported the disruption of three illegal refining sites in Rivers State, where about 85,000 litres of products suspected to be illegally refined Automotive Gas Oil were recovered from dugout pits, sacks and reservoirs.
In the South East, Operation Udo Ka troops dismantled illegal bunkering operations, arrested suspected criminal elements and recovered firearms and ammunition. Troops also discovered and safely disarmed multiple improvised explosive devices in Imo State and cleared 11 IEDs during operations in Ihiala Local Government Area of Anambra State.
The military said its operations were complemented by civil-military cooperation initiatives. During the week under review, the Nigerian Navy commissioned a solar-powered water project for residents of Ward F2 in Surulere, Lagos State, to improve access to potable water.
The Chief of Defence Staff, General Olufemi Olatubosun Oluyede, commended troops for their operational successes and expressed sympathy to families of civilians killed during the operations. He also wished injured security personnel a speedy recovery.
Oluyede further urged Nigerians, traditional rulers and community leaders to continue providing security agencies with useful information, while assuring citizens that the military would sustain its operations until peace and stability are restored across the country.
NEWS
Gunmen Attack Adeleke’s Convoy, Kill One in Osogbo
From Ayinde Akintade, Osogbo
Tension gripped Osogbo, the Osun State capital, on Wednesday after suspected gang members attacked the convoy of Governor Ademola Adeleke shortly after his visit to the palace of the Ataoja of Osogbo, Oba Jimoh Oyetunji, in an incident that left one person dead.
The shooting occurred hours after Adeleke received his Certificate of Return from the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), following his victory in the August 15 governorship election.
Adeleke had arrived at the Ataoja’s palace at about 3:15pm in a convoy of about 20 vehicles after leaving the INEC office in Osogbo.
He was received by the traditional ruler, to whom he reportedly presented his Certificate of Return.The meeting ended with prayers, after which the governor and his close aides left the palace hall through an exit reserved for the monarch and his wives.
According to eyewitnesses, gunfire erupted moments later as suspected attackers arrived in an unregistered Sienna space bus through the Ita-Olokan axis and allegedly opened fire around the palace.
Security personnel attached to the governor responded, leading to an exchange of gunfire that lasted between 12 and 15 minutes. The attackers were subsequently forced to retreat from the area.
The police, however, later disclosed that the incident may have been triggered by an attempt to gain access to music star David Adeleke, popularly known as Davido, who accompanied the governor to Osogbo.
Osun State Police Public Relations Officer, Abiodun Ojelabi, said preliminary investigations indicated that members of the Eye Confraternity were allegedly after Davido.
According to Ojelabi, one Adebayo Taoreed, popularly known as “Small Rugged,” an ex-convict and suspected member of the confraternity, allegedly attempted to gain access to Davido but was resisted by members of his security team.
The confrontation, he said, attracted other suspected gang members in the vicinity, who allegedly blocked the palace entrance and obstructed the movement of the governor’s convoy.
The police spokesman said the suspects later left the area but allegedly shot 60-year-old Tajudeen Yusuf at Ita-Olokan.
Yusuf was rushed to the University Teaching Hospital, Osogbo, where he was pronounced dead by doctors.
The development marked a sharp turn in an otherwise celebratory day for Adeleke, who had earlier received his Certificate of Return amid cheers from supporters.
Speaking at the presentation ceremony, the governor promised to work harder to improve the welfare of residents and expressed concern over the loss of lives during political activities.
“No election, political office or ambition is worth the life of a single citizen,” Adeleke said, while recalling victims of electoral violence.
He also announced plans by the Adeleke family, through the Springtime Development Foundation, to provide scholarships up to university level for children and dependants of those killed in electoral violence. The state government, he added, would establish a ₦500 million Election Violence Victims Endowment Fund.
Meanwhile, the shooting around the Ataoja’s palace sent traders, residents and other members of the public fleeing for safety. Witnesses said some shops were hurriedly shut as gunshots rang out.
A trader near the palace, identified as Munirat, said the attackers damaged part of the palace gate during the confrontation and later moved towards the Osogbo Central Mosque before escaping through the Ita-Olokan axis of the Osogbo-Ilesa Road.
Osun State Commissioner for Information and Public Enlightenment, Kolapo Alimi, earlier confirmed the attack on the governor’s convoy, saying the governor’s security personnel successfully repelled the assailants.
The police have commenced a full-scale investigation and intensified efforts to identify and arrest the fleeing suspects.
The Commissioner of Police (Election), Osun State Command, CP Samuel Etaifo, condemned the killing and urged residents to remain calm and avoid taking the law into their own hands.
As of the time of filing this report, security personnel remained deployed around the palace and adjoining streets, while the incident continued to generate tension in the state capital.
security
Fresh Attack on Plateau Community Kills 24, Injures Scores
From Jude Dangwam, Jos
At least 24 people have reportedly been killed and several others injured after gunmen attacked Bin-Per community in Kombun District of Mangu Local Government Area of Plateau State, in the latest deadly assault on vulnerable communities in the state.
The attack occurred between midnight on Monday and the early hours of Tuesday, August 18, 2026, according to residents, who said the heavily armed assailants moved from house to house, forcing their way into homes and attacking sleeping residents.
An eyewitness, Daniel Musa, said the attackers opened doors and slaughtered people inside their homes.
“Our village came under attack last night and in the early hours of today, Tuesday, by heavily armed persons,” Musa said, adding that more than 20 deaths had been confirmed as of Tuesday morning, while several others sustained serious injuries and some residents remained missing.
Another resident, John Dalyop, described the attack as terrible and called on the authorities to take immediate action against those responsible.
The injured victims were reportedly taken to nearby hospitals for treatment, while community leaders and residents continued efforts to locate missing persons.
Security operatives were also said to have been deployed to the community on Tuesday morning to restore calm and prevent further attacks.
The Mwaghavul Youth Movement, however, put the reported death toll at 24 and said the attackers also burnt homes and destroyed crops, worsening the plight of families whose livelihoods depend largely on farming.
In a statement issued on Tuesday and signed by its Director of Public Affairs, Tubwot Joël Sunday, on behalf of the group’s President, Kyesmang Jonathan Yusuf, the movement expressed “deep grief, anger, and profound dissatisfaction” over the attack.
It said the scale of the destruction amounted to an attack not only on individuals but on the community’s “dignity, livelihood, and future.”
The group questioned the effectiveness and responsiveness of the government’s security architecture, particularly given what it described as repeated attacks on vulnerable communities across Mangu and other parts of Plateau State.
It also raised concern over increasing reliance on community self-defence, saying residents were being forced to confront heavily armed attackers because of inadequate protection.
While commending youths in Bin-Per and neighbouring communities for their courage and intervention, the movement stressed that community self-defence could not replace the responsibility of government and security agencies.
The group called on Plateau State Governor Caleb Manasseh Mutfwang and the Federal Government under President Bola Ahmed Tinubu to urgently reassess security arrangements in vulnerable communities.
It demanded improved intelligence gathering, proactive deployment of security personnel, rapid-response mechanisms and sustained protection capable of preventing attacks rather than merely responding after lives and property have been lost.
The movement also called for a transparent investigation into the Bin-Per attack and other attacks in Mangu and Plateau State, including the security response before, during and after the incident.
It demanded that those responsible for the killings, destruction of homes and farmlands be identified and brought to justice.
The youths further warned that the recurring loss of lives, destruction of homes and farmlands could no longer be treated as routine incidents, stressing that every life lost represents a Nigerian family devastated and every destroyed farm represents food, income and hope lost.
The movement mourned those killed, sympathised with the injured and displaced, and called for what it described as “government’s uncommon action” to end the cycle of violence.
As of the time of filing this report, efforts to obtain an official reaction from security authorities were unsuccessful.


