Connect with us

Foreign News

New York State to Reopen With Phased Strategy- Gov

Published

on

Share

The U.S. state of New York, will restart its economy after the peak of the coronavirus outbreak in a multi-phase manner, Governor Andrew Cuomo said on Sunday.

The strategy is to first reopen the construction and manufacturing sectors, and the second phase will be evaluating businesses on a case-by-case basis, depending on how essential they are, said Cuomo at his daily briefing.

There will be two weeks in between each phase to monitor the effects of the reopening and ensure hospitalisation and infection rates are not increasing.

“One caveat is you can’t do anything in any region that would increase the number of visitors to that region,” the governor said.

Cuomo did not give a specific date for the implementation of the strategy, but he said part of the state could begin reopening as soon as May 15 — the current deadline for the statewide shutdown.

The regions that would be more likely able to open sooner would be the upstate New York, where COVID-19 infections have been relatively low in the state, said Cuomo.

The reopening of the downstate region, which includes the hardest-hit New York City, Nassau County and Westchester, will be more complicated and requires regional coordination, he noted.

“Multi-state coordination is vital there because the New Jersey, Connecticut, New York City area is basically very intermixed,” said Cuomo.

“People are going and coming, they live in one place, work in another, so that coordination is important,” he added.

New York state continued to see a declining trend of total hospitalisations and net intubations, and the daily fatalities dropped to 367 on Saturday, according to the governor.

He also said the infection rate decreased to 0.8 in the state, referring to the situation where “10 positive people infect about eight others.”

“We must keep the rate below 1 to keep slowing the spread,” said Cuomo.

The state reported over 299,000 COVID-19 cases as the national total rose to nearly 962,000 by Sunday afternoon.

More than 22,000 people statewide have died of the disease, according to data compiled by Johns Hopkins University. (Xinhua/NAN)

Foreign News

Strike over High Fuel Prices Paralyses Transport in Kenya

Published

on

Share

Thousands of Kenyan commuters have been stranded and businesses paralyzed as public transport operators went on a nationwide strike to protest against recent increases in the cost fuel.

Key roads in the capital Nairobi remained largely empty, forcing some commuters to walk to work, with other parts of the country also affected by the transport crisis.

Businesses in parts of Nairobi remained shut and schools asked students to stay at home.

Protesters have been barricading roads and lighting fires on the roads as the protests continue.

The strike comes days after the authorities raised petroleum prices to record levels, with costs increasing by more than 20%.

Kenya, like many other African countries, relies heavily on fuel imports from the Gulf, a supply route disrupted by the US-Israel conflict with Iran that began on 28 February. Even though a ceasefire has been declared, fuel prices have remained high as the Strait of Hormuz, where a fifth of the world’s oil passes through, is still blocked.

In parts of Nairobi and elsewhere across the country, police clashed with protesters, using tear gas to disperse them. This came amid reports of demonstrators stopping and harassing some motorists.

Ahead of the strike, the police assured Kenyans that security measures would be in place and warned against any disruptive conduct.

The association representing transport operators had earlier urged all vehicle users, including private motorists, public transport buses (locally known as matatus) and truckers, to stay off the roads as part of a coordinated shutdown.

“This action is not only for transport operators, but for every Kenyan citizen,” the Transport Sector Alliance (TSA) said in a statement.

The alliance has accused the government of not doing enough to shield Kenyans from the rising fuel prices, amid a broader high cost-of-living crisis.

It has called for the reversal of the price increases announced last week, and for fuel prices to be reduced by about 35%.

The Energy and Petroleum Regulatory Authority (Epra) on Thursday raised prices to a high of 242 shillings ($1.8; £1.4) a litre for diesel and petrol to $1.65.

Treasury Minister John Mbadi told local NTV station on Monday that the increase in fuel prices was “unfortunate” and acknowledged that it was hurting the economy.

He however said the strike was “completely uncalled for” and the government would only make decisions that are “informed and not emotional”.

“Why are we trying to solve a global problem using domestic means?” he asked.

The high cost of fuel is being blamed for increases in the price of food and other basic goods and services, with public service vehicles already raising commuter fares.

Last month, the government cut VAT on fuel from 16% to 8% until July but there have been calls for it to do more.

Continue Reading

Foreign News

Ghana Evacuates 300 from South Africa over Anti-immigrant Protests

Published

on

Share

Ghana says it will evacuate 300 citizens from South Africa following a recent wave of protests against foreign nationals.

Foreign Minister Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa said in a post on X on Tuesday that the Ghanaian president had granted approval for their “immediate evacuation”.

He said the “distressed” Ghanaians had registered at the country’s embassy in Pretoria to be rescued in response to an advisory by the foreign ministry “Following the latest wave of xenophobic attacks”.

Last week, South African authorities denied that anyone had been attacked, saying the widely circulated videos were fake.

On Monday, South African President Cyril Ramaphosa said the recent “protests and criminal acts directed at foreign nationals” did not reflect government policy, describing them as “isolated acts of criminality”.

He added that South Africa would “regulate migration, secure our borders and enforce our laws”.

Thousands of South Africans joined protests against illegal immigration, demanding the mass deportation of undocumented foreign nationals. Protesters say illegal immigration has had an impact on jobs, housing and crime.

On Tuesday, the Ghanaian embassy in South Africa advised nationals to be highly cautious and prioritise their safety by avoiding public gatherings and shut their shops or businesses in the port city of Durban ahead of a protest planned on Wednesday.

Ghana and Nigeria have recently summoned the South African envoys to their respective countries over the mistreatment and harassment of their citizens.

Ghana has also written to the African Union (AU) asking it to discuss the issue, saying it posed a “serious risk to the safety and wellbeing” of Africans in South Africa.

South Africa responded by saying it had “nothing to hide”. The government has condemned the circulation of what it called “fake videos and images” described by some as recordings of attacks on foreign nationals.

Other countries that have warned their citizens in South Africa include Kenya, Malawi, Lesotho and Zimbabwe.

According to official figures, South Africa is home to more than three million foreigners, or about 5% of the population, but there are believed to be many more without papers.

Xenophobia has long been an issue in the country and has been accompanied by occasional outbursts of deadly attacks.

Continue Reading

Foreign News

Uganda’s President Sworn in for Seventh Term

Published

on

Share

Uganda’s President Yoweri Museveni, 81, has been sworn in for a record seventh consecutive term following his landslide victory in disputed elections in January, extending his tenure as one of Africa’s longest-serving rulers.

Heavy security, including armoured tanks, were deployed in the capital, Kampala, ahead of the inauguration in what police said were measures intended to maintain public order.

Museveni was declared the winner of the election with more than 70 percent of the vote, with his term expected to end in 2031.

The 44-year-old opposition leader, whose real name is Robert Kyagulanyi Ssentamu, fled the country after the election, saying he feared that “the regime wanted to eliminate me”.

Museveni first came to power as a rebel leader in 1986 but since then has won seven elections.

He is among the few African leaders in power for more than 40 years. Others include Congo-Brazzaville’s Denis Sassou Nguesso, Equatorial Guinea’s Teodoro Obiang and Cameroon’s Paul Biya.

The swearing-in ceremony was held at the Kololo Independence Grounds in Kampala. The government declared the day a public holiday.

African leaders who attended the ceremony included Tanzania’s President Samia Suluhu Hassan, the Democratic Republic of Congo’s Félix Tshisekedi, South Sudan’s Salva Kiir and Somalia’s Hassan Sheikh Mohamud.

Uganda has one of the world’s youngest populations, with the majority of the people having known no other president.

Museveni has not indicated when he intends to retire, but analysts said this is likely to be his last term.

His 51-year-old son, Gen Muhoozi Kainerugaba, the military chief, has been widely tipped as a potential successor.

However, Kainerugaba has increasingly faced criticism for the way he uses social media to threaten the opposition, including Wine.

On X earlier this year, he threatened to have Wine’s testicles removed in posts that have since been removed.

Wine, who leads the National Unity Platform party, said the results of the elections were “fake” and urged Ugandans to fight back for their democracy.

The government insisted that the elections were free and fair, and Museveni accused the opposition of seeking to overturn the results through violence, calling them “terrorists”.

Wine went into hiding after raids on his house, and accused security forces of targeting him and his family.

Police denied the allegations, insisting they were only providing security for him as a presidential candidate.

Museveni’s government has continued to face criticism from rights groups over a security force crackdown following the disputed vote.

Last month, Amnesty International said that at least 16 people had likely been killed between 15 and 18 January by the military and the police. It said the victims were reportedly unarmed and posed no imminent threat.

The rights group has also been critical of the treatment of another key opposition politician, Kizza Besigye, who remains in jail since late 2024 after being dramatically abducted while visiting Kenya and forcibly taken to Uganda.

He was later charged in a military court with possession of pistols and attempting to purchase weapons abroad – accusations which he denies.

Continue Reading

Advertisement

Top Stories

NEWS7 hours ago

Kogi Traditional Rulers Unite to Tackle Insecurity

ShareFrom Joseph Amedu, Lokoja Traditional rulers from Oworo land in Lokoja Local Government Area of Kogi State, have resolved to work together to tackle insecurity and...

SPORTS7 hours ago

U-17 WWCQ: Flamingos Off To Abidjan Wednesday for Guinea Showdown

ShareNigeria’s Flamingos will leave for Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire on Wednesday ahead of the first leg of their 2026 FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup qualifying fixture...

Foreign News7 hours ago

Strike over High Fuel Prices Paralyses Transport in Kenya

ShareThousands of Kenyan commuters have been stranded and businesses paralyzed as public transport operators went on a nationwide strike to protest against recent increases in the cost fuel. Key roads in...

Gender7 hours ago

Military Airstrikes Kill 20 ISIS-ISWAP Terrorists in Borno — DHQ

ShareThe Defence Headquarters said coordinated airstrikes in the Metele general area of Borno have killed more than 20 ISIS/ISWAP fighters in continued counter-terrorism operations in the North-East....

NEWS8 hours ago

Court Grants El-Rufai N100m Bail amid Ongoing Legal Battle

ShareFrom Agbo Emmanuel, Kaduna The Federal High Court in Abuja on Monday granted bail to former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, setting the bail sum at N100...

NEWS8 hours ago

NRS Unveils Single Tax Identifier for Individuals, Businesses

ShareBy Tony Obiechina, Abuja The Nigeria Revenue Service (NRS) has announced the rollout of a unified Taxpayer Identification (Tax ID)...

NEWS8 hours ago

Kidnappers Kill Oyo Teacher as Pupils, Colleagues Remain in Captivity

ShareFrom Ayinde Akintade, Osogbo The abduction crisis in Oyo State took a tragic turn on Sunday as one of the...

NEWS8 hours ago

APC Heavyweights Sweep Senatorial Primaries Ahead of 2027

ShareBy David Torough, Abuja The All Progressives Congress (APC) on Monday recorded major victories for several political heavyweights in its senatorial primaries ahead of...

NEWS21 hours ago

APC Unveils Winners of Adamawa House of Representatives Primaries

ShareFrom Yagana Ali, Yola The All Progressives Congress (APC) has officially announced the winners of its House of Representatives primary...

NEWS21 hours ago

Northwest Varsity Kano Matriculates 7,929 Students

ShareFrom Rabiu Sanusi, Kano Northwest University Kano on Friday held its 13th Matriculation Ceremony for newly admitted students of the...