NEWS
Why Bello should have Appeared in Court–Judge
A Federal High Court, Abuja, on Friday granted the application by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) for the former Governor of Kogi, Alhaji Yahaya Bello, to appear in court for his trial.
Justice Emeka Nwite, in a ruling, held that the former governor ought to appeared before the court before making any application.
He insisted that even if the arrest warrant was illegally obtained, the defendant (Bello) should have still shown up in court.
It would be tracked that the judge had, on April 23, fixed today for the ruling on the former governor’s application to set aside the arrest warrant against him.
The EFCC’s lawyer, Rotimi Oyedepo, SAN, had, on April 17, moved the ex-parte application for the arrest warrant.
But Bello’s counsel, Adeola Adedipe, SAN, on April 23, prayed the court to set aside the arrest warrant against their client
.
He canvassed that the arrest warrant had become unnecessary since their lead counsel, Abdulwahab Mohammed, SAN, had accepted the service of the charge on behalf of the ex-governor.
He argued that the arrest warrant order, having been made before the charge ought to be set aside suo motu (on its own accord, without any request by the parties involved).
The senior lawyer argued that contrary to the submission of the lawyer who appeared for EFCC, Kemi Pinheiro, SAN, that the ex-governor must be in court first before any application could be entertained being a criminal case.
He said that the anti-graft agency also made an application on April 18 after the warrant arrest was issued to EFCC on April 17 and that the court granted it.
The lawyer submitted that the arrest warrant was issued in favour of the EFCC by the court in violation of fair hearing to their client.
He noted that the complainant made an application for substituted service on 18th day of April after the arrest warrant had been issued on 17th day of April and today, my noble lord granted it.
“The court must satisfy itself that the defendant (Bello) will not be prejudiced in fairness if the warrant of arrest continues to hang on his neck, having been made before service of the charge contrary to Section 394 of ACJA,” Adeola argued.
He argued that justice should be a three-way traffic; that is, justice to the prosecution, the defendant and the public.
He said for Bello to appear in court, he must have the notion that he would get justice.
Adedipe also argued that the EFCC was an unconstitutional body because its establishment was not ratified by the 36 states of the federation.
He said that for the EFCC to become a constitutional body, the 36 states of the federation must ratify the law establishing it as against the current position, that the EFCC Establishment Act was unilaterally ratified by the Federal Government.
He, therefore, asked the judge to vacate the arrest warrant against the former governor.
But Pinheiro vehemently opposed the application.
The senior lawyer argued that for the arrest warrant to be vacated, the former governor must be arraigned and take his plea in compliance with Section 396 (2) of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act (ACJA), 2015.
Delivering the ruling on Friday, the judge agreed with the argument of the EFCC.
He said that the order of court subsisted until it is set aside, even if there is irregularity.
The judge said Yahaya Bello’s staying away amounted to disregard to the sanctity of the court.
“Therefore, the application by the counsel for the defendant cannot be moved unless the defendant is present in court.
“Bello should come to court in his own not through EFCC for arraignment on the next adjourn date,” the judge declared.
Meanwhile, shortly after the ruling, Mohammed, who appeared for the former governor, informed the court of a motion on notice filed on May 9.
He said the motion prayed the court to stay further hearing of the alleged money laundering suit filed against Bello until the Court of Appeal decides a pending case relating to same matter.
The senior lawyer said the anti-graft agency had, by a motion ex-parte, got an order of the Appeal Court stopping the contempt proceedings filed by the ex-governor against the agency at the High Court sitting in Lokoja.
He said the appellate court had already fixed May 20 to hear the case.
He said it would be important the Federal High Court, Abuja awaits the outcome before going further with the trial.
But the EFCC’s lawyer, Oyedepo, disagreed with Mohammed’s submission.
In a short ruling, Justice Nwite refused Mohammed’s application.
The judge said that the matter had generated controversy all over the world and was unnecessary.
Reacting, Mohammed responded that the former governor was not afraid to come to court but was only afraid of his life.
Justice Nwite, however, said that Bello should not be misguided but should be advised to come and answer to the alleged charge.
“It is just a charge. It has not been proven. Counsel, it is your duty to bring him and you prepare yourselves.
“We thank lordship. We will take your admonition to him because that is just his fear,” Mohammed said.
He assured that efforts would be made to contact the former govenor to appear in court in the next adjourned date.
Justice Nwite consequently adjourned the matter until June 13 for arraignment.(NAN)
NEWS
Bayelsa state is for APC, says Lokpobiri
“As he delivered 13,591 votes to president Tinubu in his Ward 8”
From Mike Tayese, Yenagoa
As the 2027 political activities is gathering momentum and with Presidential Primary done and dusted by the Ruling All Progressives Congress (APC), the Minister of State for Petroleum (Oil), Senator Heneiken Lokpobiri has declared that Bayelsa state is for APC.
The Minister handed down this while answering questions from Newsmen after the declaration of results from the presidential primary election in Ward 8 in Ekeremor Local Government Area of Bayelsa state.
According to him, “today is the presidential primary to nominate who will be the candidate of APC in 2027 presidential election. We started with the state Assemblies, then House of Representatives and Senate.Today is the nomination for who will be our presidential candidate”.
“As you can see, this is Ekeremor Ward 8, this is my own ward, over thirteen thousand registered members of the APC are here to participate in the primary, am not a voter, as a political appointee, the law says I cannot vote or be voted for, but am entitled to be an observer
“Am very happy, voting has been done and our candidate president Bola Ahmed Tinubu has won, the other candidate they don’t know and he got zero vote. As we are speaking here, the excercise is going on in all the 12 wards in Ekeremor LGA . So am very happy that this excercise started peacefully and is ending peacefully.
‘We are fully prepared for whosoever want to challenge our candidate from other parties. We have credible candidates to present against their candidates
“With me here is Barr. Tari-ere Joyce Gita APC candidate for Ekeremor Constituency 1. Hon. Living Mitin APC candidate for Constituency 2, and Barr. Berry Negerese as APC candidate for Ekeremor Constituency 3. While Chief Fidelis Agbiki is the Bayelsa West Senatorial District candidate.
“There is no any other parties in bayelsa again outside APC, the state is APC, anyone you can’t find here is a retired politicians. Anyone you can find here is retired.
“We are sure of victory in Ekeremor LGA come 2027 general elections. We are United, strong to defeat any other candidates from other parties
Am not aware of any other candidates running against Mr President, take whatever you’re seeing here, zero result for whoever is contesting against Mr President .
“We can assure you that the same thing is happening in all the,105 Wards in the state. Bayelsa is for APC”, he said.
Declaring the results, the returning officer of the presidential primary in Ward 8 Ekeremor Local Government Area, Ashanti Bekomowei said, President Bola Ahmed Tinubu scored 13,591 votes, while his contender Stanley Osifo scored zero vote and therefore declared president Bola Ahmed Tinubu as the winner.
The Bayelsa West Senatorial District candidate Chief Fidelis Agbiki and the three Assembly candidates, said APC will come out victorious in all the elective offices come 2027 general elections.
.
NEWS
Tinubu Polls 277,192 Votes In APC Presidential Primaries in Bayelsa*A Restructured Nigeria Possible, Says Gov Diri
From Mike Tayese, Yenagoa
President Bola Tinubu, on Saturday, polled 277,192 votes in the direct primaries of the All Progressives Congress (APC) across the 105 wards in the eight local government areas of the state.
Governor Douye Diri, who served as the state’s Coordinator/Collation Officer for the presidential primary, declared the results at the collation centre at the Chief DSP Alamieyeseigha Memorial Banquet Hall, Yenagoa.
His Chief Press Secretary, Mr. Daniel Alabrah, quoted Governor Diri as saying that the peaceful conduct of the exercise across the state, from the presidential to the National Assembly and the House of Assembly primaries, showed a shift from the party’s “toxic” primaries previously in the state.
He stressed that no single individual could win an election without collective support, urging members to close ranks ahead of the 2027 general election.
His words: “As our party chairman already informed us, the party at the national level graciously asked me to be the returning officer and the chief collation officer.
“You have conducted yourselves so well. The exercise has been peaceful, calm, and in some areas more of a festive mood.
“To all those who contested and lost, you still have to be party men. I’m seeing a lot of them here, and that shows they are sportsmen. They belong to APC and they are going nowhere,” he said.
The Bayelsa helmsman stated that with the party’s unity and the strength of incumbency at both the state and federal levels, APC was well-positioned to dominate the elections.
“If all of these people here will go back to our wards, can’t we deliver? Can anybody beat us in Bayelsa State? It is a very big capital No.
“We have the human beings that know the strategies of elections. With our numerical strength and incumbency, it is game over in Bayelsa State,” he said.
Giving a breakdown of the results presented by the returning officers in each of the local government areas, he said Tinubu scored 39,454 in Brass, Ekeremor 45,949,
Kolokuma/Opokuma 22,593, and
Nembe 32,487.
The president also got 24,896 in Ogbia, Sagbama 46,283
Southern Ijaw 34,692 and
Yenagoa 30,834.
His only challenger, Mr. Stanley Osifo, got only five votes from Yenagoa local government area.
Earlier, speaking to party faithful and supporters after the exercise in his Sampou/Kalama Ward 6 in Kolokuma/Opokuma local government area, the governor said the APC remained the only party offering hope to Nigerians through the Renewed Hope Agenda of President Tinubu.
He said while there were two contestants in the presidential primary, the president was the overwhelmingly preferred choice among party members due to his leadership record and national visibility.
Diri acknowledged the reforms undertaken by the current administration were painful but maintained that they were necessary as the country would ultimately be repositioned for long-term prosperity.
He also expressed confidence that the restructuring of Nigeria was possible under Tinubu, describing him as one of the few leaders with the experience, democratic credentials, and political will to transform the country.
According to him, restructuring remains critical to addressing the nation’s recurring ethnic, religious, and political challenges.
Citing Tinubu’s role in Nigeria’s pro-democracy struggle and his involvement in the National Democratic Coalition (NADECO) during the military era, he said the president was one of the best-qualified leaders to champion the restructuring agenda.
Collation of the results was observed by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) Resident Electoral Commissioner in Bayelsa, Isah Ehimeakhe, the commission’s Administrative Secretary, Mrs. Eme Akpa, as well as the state Commissioner of Police, Mr. Daniel Iyamah and service commanders
In attendance were the Deputy Governor, Dr Peter Akpe, Senator Konbowei Benson (Bayelsa Central), House of Representatives members, Oforji Oboku (Yenagoa/Kolokuma/Opokuma federal constituency) and Rodney Ambaiowei (Southern Ijaw federal constituency) as well as the State APC Chairman, Hon. Warman Ogoriba
Also present were the Minister of State for Petroleum Resources (Oil), Senator Heineken Lokpobiri, Speaker of the Bayelsa State House of Assembly, Rt. Hon. Abraham Ingobere, Managing Director of the Niger Delta Development Commission, Dr. Samuel Ogbuku, his counterpart in Niger Delta Basin Development Authority, Prince Ebitimi Amgbare, among other party stalwarts, stakeholders and members.
NEWS
Udende Leads Massive Tinubu Endorsement in Benue APC Primaries
By David Torough, Abuja
The Senator representing Benue North East Senatorial District, Senator Emmanuel Memga Udende, on Saturday led party members across the district to massively endorse President Bola Ahmed Tinubu during the APC presidential primary elections.
Addressing supporters at the Ukum Local Government headquarters in Sankera, the Chairman of the Senate Committee on Anti-Corruption and Financial Crimes said President Tinubu’s administration has delivered significant benefits to both Benue State and Nigeria at large.
Senator Udende highlighted ongoing infrastructural development, improvements in the national economy, and the appointment of Benue indigenes into key federal positions as major reasons behind the overwhelming support for the President.
“For the first time in the history of Benue State, we have our own Senator George Akume serving as Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF). We also have a Grade A Minister from Benue State, the Chairman of the North Central Development Commission (NCDC), among several other federal appointments. These achievements justify giving President Tinubu another opportunity to continue his people-oriented policies,” Udende stated.
The senator, however, expressed dissatisfaction with the conduct of the immediate past APC National Assembly primaries, alleging that some individuals attempted to manipulate the process by producing results from guest houses and private residences instead of the officially designated council ward headquarters.
According to him, such actions were unacceptable and the purported results would not stand.
The “Ikuen I Ukum” also commended the people of Ukum and the entire Benue North East Senatorial District for turning out in large numbers to vote, assuring them that their trust and support for President Tinubu and the APC would not be in vain.
In his remarks, the member representing Ukum State Constituency in the Benue State House of Assembly, Hon. Engr. Ezra Nyiyongo, urged party faithful to remain united and continue supporting President Bola Ahmed Tinubu ahead of the forthcoming presidential and National Assembly general elections for the progress of Nigeria.
While Senator Udende cast his vote at the Tsaav Council Ward headquarters in Afia, Ukum Local Government Area, Hon. Ezra Nyiyongo participated in the exercise at Melabu in Mbayenge Council Ward.


