The Nigerian Mission in South Africa says no fewer than 400 Nigerians have indicated interest and registered to be evacuated from South Africa following the recent xenophobic attacks.
Nigeria’s Consul General in Johannesburg, Godwin Adama, said this in a telephone interview with News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Sunday in Abuja.
Adama noted that Air Peace had offered to airlift those willing to return home sequel to the attacks on Nigerians and their businesses by South Africans.
According to him, the first batch of Nigerians who are willing to return home will be repatriated on Wednesday.
“We have more than enough for that aircraft. Over 400 Nigerians have already registered; more are still coming,’’ he said.
The Nigerian High Commissioner to South Africa, Kabiru Bala, also said that Nigerians had responded positively in good numbers.
Bala said that the mission was equally responding to the needs of those willing to return, especially those who had issues with their documents.
“We are documenting them. Those without travel documents, we shall provide them with Emergency Travel Certificates.
“There are other governmental procedures that we must observe. Relevant agencies of government in Nigeria must be informed and must be ready to receive the returnees.
“Hard work is now going on at the High Commission and Consulate in this regard. As soon as all procedures and relevant protocols are observed, the return is assured and guaranteed.
“A little more patience will be helpful. The response of Nigerians is just amazing,’’ Bala said.
President, Nigeria Citizens Association, South Africa (NICASA), Ben Okoli, said all efforts were geared towards evacuation of those who were ready to come back home.
Okoli said the figure of those ready to come was in hundreds as many had lost their means of livelihood and had nothing to fall back on.
“The Consulate is sorting out the issue of documents. Nigerians are being registered and issued with the necessary travel documents to enable them make the trip to Lagos.
“Some lost their passports in their homes and businesses from the fire that gutted it, while others had their documents and properties stolen by the locals,’’ he said.
The association, he said, was still pushing ahead with the demand for compensation as there was sufficient evidence available to them that the attacks were premeditated and orchestrated.
He also noted that normalcy was gradually returning, stressing that there was no longer tension, or violence against any set of people.
“The violence and hostility have ceased. Many Nigerians were, however, affected by the crisis and lots have been highly distressed with nothing to fall back on.
“So, some of those affected have decided to call it quits and go back to Nigeria.
“Presently, we are collating the data of Nigerians that are to be evacuated back to Nigeria.
“We have it on good record that the first batch will be leaving on Wednesday.’’
He commended President Muhammadu Buhari’s effort in sending a special envoy to South Africa.
Okoli said that the move was able to boost the morale of the Nigerian community to go about their normal businesses without fear of molestation or attacks.
“We have actually regained some strength knowing that our government is backing and supporting us, especially at this time.
“So we are no longer afraid because we believe that so long we are doing the right thing, the lawful thing, we have nothing to fear.
“We want to thank President Buhari for the steps he has taken. The special envoy did come to us and pushed the case of Nigerians. We are very grateful and thank him for what he has done so far,’’ he said
Okoli also commended the Management of Air Peace for offering to airlift Nigerians home and urged the airline to endeavour to airlift all Nigerians who were ready to return come home. (NAN)
Witnesses challenge Israel’s killing of Palestinian
An eyewitness to the killing of a Palestinian by Israeli forces has told the BBC he believes the man was shot simply for punching a policeman.
Ammar Mefleh was killed at close range in the occupied West Bank last Friday.
He is the 10th Palestinian shot dead by Israeli troops in the space of a week.
Video of the shooting drew a massive reaction online and sparked a diplomatic rebuke by Israel to a top UN official who said he was “horrified” at the killing.
Israeli officials praised the officer involved saying he responded after the Palestinian stabbed a policeman in the face, and his actions prevented a “mass terror attack”.
Palestinian leaders described it as an execution “in cold blood”.
Mr Mefleh, 22, was killed in the Palestinian town of Huwara, which lies on a main road frequently used by Israeli settlers and has been the scene of growing violence in recent months.
This year in the West Bank more than 150 Palestinians have been killed, nearly all by Israeli forces. The dead include unarmed civilians, militant gunmen and armed attackers.
Meanwhile a series of Palestinian attacks targeting Israelis, as well as militant gunfire at troops during arrest raids, have killed more than 30 people including civilians, police and soldiers.
The footage from Friday, shared extensively online, was rare in capturing in detail part of the event that led up to the shooting. The last 13 seconds are caught in a second video from another angle.
In the recording, the Israeli officer is seen holding Mr Mefleh in a headlock as the pair struggle. Two other Palestinians are in the melee at first, but then step back.
After Mr Mefleh struggles out of the headlock, he tries to grab the policeman’s rifle. As they wrestle over the weapon the officer takes a hand off it – first to try to hit the Palestinian, who strikes him back – then to reach for his pistol.
Mr Mefleh for a split second has hold of the rifle but almost instantly throws it down or lets go of it, recoiling as he sees the officer raise his pistol. The policeman shoots him instantly, four times.
Following his killing, a popular Israeli news website reported that the officer had “eliminated the terrorist”. The footage was repeatedly circulated on Palestinian social media with people appalled at the killing.
The UN’s envoy to the region, Tor Wennesland, tweeted that he was “horrified by today’s killing of a Palestinian man, Ammar Mefleh, during a scuffle with an Israeli soldier,” calling for those responsible to be held accountable.
A spokesman for the Israeli foreign ministry, Emmanuel Nahshon, tweeted in response that Mr Wennesland’s reaction was a “total distortion of reality”.
“The incident is a terror attack, in which an Israeli policeman was stabbed in his face and the life of another officer was threatened and consequently he shot his assailant,” Mr Nahshon added.
“This is NOT a ‘scuffle’ – this is a terror attack”.
Latvia Axes Exiled Russian Broadcaster TV Rain
Russia’s last independent television channel, TV Rain, has been shut down in Latvia after less than five months on air.
The channel, which is known as Dozhd in Russian, has been accused of showing content that supports Moscow’s invasion of Ukraine.
TV Rain has called the allegations “unfair and absurd” in a post on social media.
It has been ordered to stop broadcasting on 8 December.
TV Rain says it will obey the order but will remain on YouTube, which is where most of its audience watches its content. However, it will no longer be able to broadcast on cable television inside Latvia, which has a large Russian speaking population.
The National Electronic Media Council (NEPLP), Latvia’s media regulator, said the decision to revoke the licence was taken “in connection with threats to national security and public order”.
Earlier this month, the regulator fined the channel €10,000 (£8,613; $10,488) for displaying a map in which occupied Crimea was shown as part of Russia’s territory.
It was also censured for calling the Russian army “our army” in a piece about how to provide recruits with supplies. One of the broadcaster’s hosts, Alexei Korostelyov, was fired as a result.
The decision has been criticised by many opposition figures in Russia, who argue that TV Rain is an important source of independent information for Russian speakers about the war.
“There is Putin, who started the war. There is TV Rain, which tells the truth about Putin and about the war. Stripping TV Rain of its licence only helps Putin,” said Kira Yarmysh, press-secretary to jailed opposition leader Alexei Navalny.
The charity Reporters Without Borders called the move a “serious blow to freedom of information”.
The channel, which has long been critical of Vladimir Putin and the Russian government, was blocked in Russia in early March, just days after Moscow invaded Ukraine.
Many employees then fled Russia, and later started work on rebuilding Dozhd abroad. It is one of several independent media outlets to have moved its operations out of Russia or suspended them since the invasion.
The State Security Service (VDD) has been investigating the incident and said it has repeatedly warned about the “various risks emanating from Russia’s so-called independent media relocating their activity to Latvia”.
The VDD said these risks include the possible connections of media representatives to Russian intelligence and security services, as well as the danger posed if Moscow seeks to target Latvia as part of measures to influence public opinion online and elsewhere.
Commenting on its decision to revoke TV Rain’s broadcasting licence, NEPLP added that it “was convinced that the management of TV Rain did not understand the nature and gravity of each individual infringement, nor of any set of infringements”.
Meanwhile, Kremlin spokesperson Dmitry Peskov told reporters that “some always think that there is a place better than home, that there is always more freedom than at home. This is one of the clearest examples that shows that these are the wrong illusions”.
Iran abolishes morality police, plans to review hijab laws
The Islamic Republic of Iran disbanded its morality police following the widespread protests that erupted in the country from the death of a 22-year-old Kurdish woman, Mahsa Amini in their custody, according to AFP.
Amini was arrested and detained by the morality police for breaching the hijab women’s dress code on September 13 and she died on September 16, which triggered demonstrations the following day.
Iran’s Attorney General Mohammad Jafar Montazeri said the country’s parliament and judiciary are reviewing the mandatory hijab law, according to pro-reform outlet Entekhab.
Montazeri was also quoted as saying morality police had been “abolished” but the media has not been given attention to make comments, saying the interior ministry supervises the force, not the judiciary.
On the hijab law, Montazeri said, “We know you feel anguished when you witness [women] without a hijab in cities, do you think the officials are silent about it? As someone who is in the field of this issue, I say that both the parliament and the judiciary are working, for example, just yesterday we had a meeting with the cultural commission of the parliament, and you will see the results within the next week or two.”
Reacting to a reporter who asked if the country’s morality police were being disbanded, Montazeri said, “Morality police have nothing to do with the judiciary. It was abolished from the same place it was launched. Of course, the judiciary will continue to monitor society’s behaviour.”
The country has been protesting and the majority of the women have been actively involved, despite the crackdown by the security agents. Two prominent Iranian actresses – Hengameh Ghaziani and Katayoun Riahi were arrested for colluding with protesters.
Iranians, in their continued agitation, celebrated the country’s loss to the USA at the World Cup tournament in Qatar on Tuesday. The incident led to the killing of Mehran Samak shot by the police.(vanguard)
Plateau PDP Set to Receive Atiku, Governors, National Leaders in Jos
Share Post Views: 8 From Jude Dangwam, Jos The Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Plateau State Chapter Hon....
NNPP Denies Alliance with PDP
Share Post Views: 9 By Solomon Okoliko, Abuja The New Nigeria Peoples Party (NNPP) has dissociated itself from the story...
Factory-resets Infected Devices to Beat Xenomorph Malware, NCC-CSIRT Advises Firms
Share Post Views: 10 A malware, XENOMORPH, that installs Trojan in banking apps on the Android platform to steal login...
Nigeria’ll Meet OPEC Quota by May 2023 – Sylva
Share Post Views: 11 Minister of State Petroleum Resources, Chief Timipre Sylva, said Nigeria is working to meet the Organisation...
Give Us Petrol at Official Ex-depot Price, lPMAN Tasks NNPC
Share Post Views: 8 Ejigbo Satellite Depot of the Independent Petroleum Marketers Association of Nigeria (IPMAN) has urged the Nigerian...
Zulum Presents N234.8bn Budget for 2023
Share Post Views: 7 Gov. Babagana Zulum of Borno on Wednesday presented N234.8 billion budget for 2023 fiscal year to...
Atiku Promises to Address Insecurity, Others Challenges From Day One, if Elected
Share Post Views: 7 Johnson Eyiangho, Abuja Presidential Candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Atiku Abubakar, has promised to...
Anambra Urges Indigenes to shun IPOB’s Sit-at-home
Share Post Views: 15 Anambra State government has urged its indigenes to shun the sit-at-home protest announced by a faction...
CJN Not Under DSS Investigation – Supreme Court
Share Post Views: 18 The Supreme Court of Nigeria has dismissed insinuation that the Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN), Justice...
One Feared Dead, Others Missing as Gunmen Attack Abuja
Share Post Views: 20 Gunmen yesterday night attacked a residence close to the hill in the Wuse Zone 5 area...