Connect with us

SPORTS

Australian Open Organisers Shift Players to New Quarantine Hotel

Published

on

Share

Australian Open organisers have been forced to tear up a quarantine accommodation plan for international players a month before the Grand Slam.

The development followed a threat of legal action from apartment owners at a luxury hotel in Melbourne.

Tennis Australia and government authorities had arranged for players to serve a 14-day mandatory quarantine at the Westin Melbourne ahead of the Feb.

8 to Feb. 21 Australian Open.

Yesterday, the plan was scrapped after apartment owners at the Westin complained they had not been properly consulted and would seek an injunction against it.

“Following consultation between the owners of The Westin Melbourne, the hotel’s existing residents and COVID-19 Quarantine Victoria, the decision has been made to accommodate players and their support teams arriving in Melbourne for the upcoming ATP at an alternate hotel location,” the Westin said in a statement.

Graeme Efron, a lawyer representing the owners, told Reuters the quarantine plan was “never going to get through”.

“It was the epitome of hubris that they thought people would go along with it without being consulted,” he said.

International players at the Australian Open are expected to arrive in Melbourne from mid-January.

Victoria state Police Minister Lisa Neville told reporters yesterday an alternative quarantine hotel had been secured for the players, which would be “stood up today or tomorrow”.

Many of the world’s top players are planning to compete at tournaments at Melbourne Park in the week before the Grand Slam.

World number one Novak Djokovic and second-ranked Rafa Nadal are scheduled to play at the team-based ATP Cup.

This means they will need to arrive in Melbourne at least two weeks before the Feb. 1 to Feb. 5 tournament to complete quarantine in time.

Melbourne, capital of Victoria state, was the epicentre of Australia’s largest second wave outbreak of COVID-19, which started at two quarantine hotels for international arrivals.

More than 18,000 infections were recorded in Victoria during the outbreak and nearly 800 deaths.

Victoria recorded four new cases of COVID-19 in Melbourne on Tuesday, including one in hotel quarantine.

SPORTS

Why I Married My Husband In Our Living Room – Ronaldo’s Wife

Published

on

Share

Georgina Rodríguez has disclosed that she chose their everyday family space to get married to Cristiano Ronaldo so that their children would fondly remember the exact spot where their parents exchanged their vows.

In an interview, Rodríguez noted that while they have access to castles and grand properties, an intimate family moment at the table where they eat daily is what matters most.

“As a little girl, I envisioned the grandest castle, the most magnificent carriage, the longest gown, and a crown adorned with diamonds,” she remarked.

“Now, I find myself saying no.

I desire something intimate, shared with my partner and our children, in the comfort of our home. “We have access to castles, houses, islands, horses, and cars every day.

“We chose to hold the ceremony in our living room, the place where we share breakfast, lunch, and dinner and where we experience our daily lives. “In 30 years, I want our children to remember that something wonderful occurred at this table, the wedding vows of our parents,” she added.

The couple kept this initial exchange entirely private for themselves, though a larger celebration with extended family and friends may happen later.

Continue Reading

NEWS

Lionel Messi Bids Farewell to Father who Guided His Career

Published

on

Share

Argentina football icon Lionel Messi bid farewell Sunday to his father, the global star’s emotional anchor and agent since childhood who passed away following a battle with cancer aged 68.

The eight-time Ballon d’Or winner touched down on a private flight from Miami late on Saturday with his wife Antonela Roccuzzo and their children and has remained surrounded by his close family since.

A private ceremony with a few teammates from the Argentine national squad is scheduled to take place at a cemetery in the town of Perez, adjacent to Rosario, later Sunday.

The gates of the town’s El Prado cemetery displayed handwritten messages from fans—”Stay strong, Leo, we love you” and “Stay strong, Messi family”—alongside a large floral wreath.

Messi’s teammates rallied around their captain following the announcement that Jorge Messi had passed away late Friday at a clinic in Rosario.

“It will surely do him good for us to be there,” Boca Juniors midfielder Leandro Paredes told journalists after his team’s match on Saturday.

“I need to speak with a few of my teammates to see if we go now or sometime tomorrow.”

According to some media outlets, midfielder Rodrigo de Paul — a close friend of Messi and his Inter Miami teammate — would travel to Argentina.

After scoring a goal in a 2-1 defeat to Monterrey in Miami on Saturday, De Paul paid tribute to his friend by taking off his shirt to reveal Messi’s number 10 jersey.

The cause of death was not disclosed, but local media reported that Jorge Messi had been suffering from cancer.

His unusual absence from the World Cup in June had already attracted attention.

Messi’s family asked the media for “humanity” during the tournament amid persistent rumours over Jorge’s health.

After bursting into tears after scoring against Algeria, 39-year-old Messi had admitted to dealing with “a situation outside of sports”.

“I went through a few difficult, complicated days,” he later acknowledged, “but I am grateful to the entire delegation and my teammates, because they stood by me, as always.”

Immediately after the World Cup final defeat against Spain, Messi returned to spend a few days with his family in Rosario.

A guiding figure throughout his son’s career, Jorge Messi was his first coach who left everything behind to accompany his son to Spain.

A metalworker in Rosario, 340 km north of Buenos Aires, Jorge managed youth teams at the small local club Grandoli.

He was the one who introduced Argentina’s future captain to the game aged four on vacant lots where local kids played.

His life changed course in 2000 when Barcelona invited the young prodigy, then aged 13, to Catalonia to continue treatment for a growth hormone deficiency while playing for the club’s youth teams.

Jorge left behind his job in Argentina, his wife, and his three other children to settle in Spain with Lionel.

“When we arrived in Barcelona, I used to lock myself in my room to cry alone, and my father did the same — either without me seeing him or thinking I didn’t see him. We pretended we were both fine, but we were struggling,” Messi later said.

His father was later the agent who negotiated astronomical contracts on his behalf, from Barcelona to Paris Saint-Germain and Inter Miami.

Messages of sympathy have poured in since Saturday from the football world, including from the clubs Messi played for and the Spanish Football Federation.

The Argentine Football Association (AFA) ordered a minute of silence before matches and that black armbands be worn at games across all age groups for the week.

Continue Reading

SPORTS

Super Falcons Suffer Racist Abuse Ahead of WAFCON Title Defence in Morocco

Published

on

Share

Nigeria’s Super Falcons have been subjected to racist abuse on social media ahead of the 2026 Women’s Africa Cup of Nations in Morocco, with several players targeted by accounts posting monkey emojis, banana emojis and primate images following recent controversies involving the team.

The latest wave of abuse comes as the nine-time African champions prepare to begin their title defence at the tournament after arriving in Morocco for the competition.

Super Falcons intensified preparations in Casablanca before relocating to Rabat ahead of their Group C opener against Malawi on July 28.

The online attacks followed allegations by Super Falcons forward Esther Okoronkwo that cash was stolen from players’ rooms at the Marriott Hotel in Casablanca, where the team initially camped.

Okoronkwo had claimed via Snapchat that she lost about $700, while teammates Rasheedat Ajibade, Asisat Oshoala, Halimatu Ayinde and Joy Omewa also allegedly lost cash before the team moved to Rabat.

Following the allegations, numerous social media accounts, believed to belong to Moroccan users, flooded Okoronkwo’s Instagram page with abusive comments.

Many of the comments contained monkey emojis, gorilla images and other primate references widely recognised as racist tropes used to dehumanise Black people.

Following the players’ public complaints, Nigerian journalist and former Super Eagles media officer, Colin Udoh, disclosed that the case had made significant progress.

“I have been informed that a suspect has been arrested in connection with the theft at the Super Falcons’ Marriott Hotel in Casablanca and has confessed. Full restitution will be made to the players while the law takes its course,” Udoh posted on Sunday.

The racist abuse was not limited to Okoronkwo, with reports indicating that other Super Falcons players also became targets of similar comments across social media platforms.

The latest incident mirrors an earlier case involving Super Falcons forward Rinsola Babajide, who was racially abused after commenting on a separate Confederation of African Football controversy involving Morocco.

Recall that Babajide had criticised CAF’s decision to strip Senegal of the 2025 Africa Cup of Nations title and award it to Morocco through an administrative forfeiture.

Reacting to the development, the Nigerian forward questioned the decision on social media before sharing an image celebrating Senegal’s triumph.

After her post, an individual sent multiple monkey and banana emojis to her Instagram direct messages in what she described as racist abuse.

Babajide later shared screenshots of the messages on X, exposing the incident.

Monkey emojis, banana emojis and primate imagery have repeatedly been identified by anti-racism organisations as coded forms of racial abuse directed at Black athletes across football and other sports.

The Super Falcons are in Morocco seeking a record-extending continental title after completing a dramatic comeback to defeat hosts Morocco 3-2 in the previous Women’s Africa Cup of Nations final, securing their 10th African crown.

Continue Reading

Advertisement

Top Stories

NEWS10 hours ago

NDC Eti-Osa Primary: Youths Reject Alleged Imposition, Demand Justice for Akano

Share By Tambaya Julius, Abuja Nigeria Democratic Congress (NDC) candidate, for the Lagos State House of Assembly seat for Eti-Osa...

NEWS22 hours ago

Cheap Surgery, Costly Injustice

ShareBy Fransiscus Nanga Roka The flourishing market in overseas cosmetic surgery offers you a dream — the promise of a...

NEWS22 hours ago

NUJ Felicitates Babangida at 85

ShareBy Dan Amasingha, Minna The Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ), Niger State Council, has congratulated former Military President, General Ibrahim...

SPORTS22 hours ago

Why I Married My Husband In Our Living Room – Ronaldo’s Wife

ShareGeorgina Rodríguez has disclosed that she chose their everyday family space to get married to Cristiano Ronaldo so that their...

Education22 hours ago

ASUU Approves Strike in 20 Varsities over Breached 2025 Agreement

ShareAcademic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) has authorised 20 federal and state universities across Nigeria to commence varying degrees of...

NEWS22 hours ago

Nigeria’s Inflation Rate Drops to 15.43 Per Cent in July – NBA

ShareBy Tony Obiechina, Abuja Nigeria’s headline inflation rate fell to 15.43 per cent in July 2026, down from 15.91 per...

NEWS22 hours ago

Igbinedion Varsity, EduTech Global Partner On Digital Education, Access

ShareBy Julius Tambaya, Abuja Igbinedion University, Okada, one of Nigeria’s leading private universities, has entered into a strategic partnership with...

NEWS22 hours ago

Xenophobia: FG Evacuates 83 More Nigerians from South Africa

ShareBy David Torough, Abuja The Federal Government has announced the arrival of another batch of 83 Nigerians evacuated from South...

NEWS22 hours ago

Kaduna Varsity Lecturers’ Exodus Worsens as ASUU Issues Strike Ultimatum

ShareFrom Agbo Emmanuel, Kaduna More than 200 lecturers, including professors and other experienced academic staff, have left Kaduna State University...

NEWS1 day ago

NES 32 to Drive National Dialogue on Jobs, Productivity, Shared Prosperity

ShareBy Ayanyinka Ayanlowo Nigerian Economic Summit to Chart the Next Phase of Nigeria’s Economic TransformationThe Nigerian Economic Summit Group (NESG)...