Connect with us

JUDICIARY

REOPENED – Court Fixes Nov. 10 to Hear Nnamdi Kanu’s Application, Challenging Competence of FG’s Charge

Published

on

Share

A Federal High Court, Abuja has fixed Nov. 10 for hearing the application of leader of the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Nnamdi Kanu, challenging the competency of the charge preferred against him by the Federal Government

Justice Binta Nyako, on Thursday, fixed the date after counsel to Kanu, Ifeanyi Ejiofor, informed that he had a notice of preliminary objection challenging the fresh seven-count charge filed against his client.

Earlier, counsel to the Attorney-General of the Federation (AGF), Mohammed Abubakar, told the court that an amended seven counts had already been filed and he prayed the court for the charges to be read to Kanu to take his plea.

Following the complaint by the legal team, the judge ordered that three people, of Kanu’s choice, be allowed to visit him every Thursday at the DSS facility.

Although journalists were not allowed into the courtroom by the operatives of the Department of State Services (DSS), Ejiofor briefed the media shortly after the proceedings.

He said a notice of preliminary objection filed to challenge the amended charge would be taken by the court on Nov. 10.

NAN reports that the applicaion, marked: FHC/ABJ/CR/3832015 dated Oct. 18 and filed Oct. 20 by Ejiofor, sought for two orders of the court.

See also  Breaking: Court Remands IPOB Leader, Nnamdi Kanu, Fixes July 26 for Trial

“AN ORDER striking out/quashing and or dismissing the seven-count amended charge, specifically, counts 1 to 7 preferred against the defendant/applicant (Kanu) in the amended charge No: FHC/ABJ/CR/383/2015, for the reason that the counts, as constituted, are incompetent and thus, deprives the Honourable Court of jurisdiction to entertain the same.

“AN ORDER of the Honourable Court discharging and acquitting the defendant/applicant of all the counts in the seven-count amended charge preferred against the defendant/applicant, upon the same being struck out/quashed and/or dismissed,” it reads.

The application was filed on 31 grounds, among which were “that no allegation was made in any of the counts of the amended charge that the alleged sundry acts of the defendant/Aapplicant were physically carried out by him, within the geographical space or territorial boundaries of Nigeria; that the only element requisite to constitute and found liability for incitement is the actual words allegedly uttered by the defendant/applicant.”

There was pandemonium earlier at the main entrance of the building as lawyers clashed with the DSS personnel over the refusal to allow them access into the court premises.

Litigants and other visitors who were at the court for other businesses were also barred from coming into the court premises.(NAN)

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

JUDICIARY

Court Restrains Osun Govt, Ruling Houses from Contesting Akinrun Stool

Published

on

Share

An Osun State High Court sitting in Ikirun has granted an order of interim injunction restraining the Obaara and Adedeji ruling houses from contesting the vacant Akinrun stool.

Justice A.

A. G. Onibokun while granting the order also barred the Osun State government from accepting any nomination except the Gboleru ruling house.

There has been contestation between the Gboleru ruling house which was supposed to produce the next Akinrun and the Obaara and Adedeji ruling houses who also wanted to produce the next monarch.

Trouble started when the Gboleru ruling house which was supposed to produce the next Akinrun had a misunderstanding amongst qualified princes, and this led to an Osun State High Court in Ikirun presided over by Justice Jide Falola directing that the Obaara as the next ruling house in line to produce the next Akinrun.

Also, the Osun State Government through the Ministry of Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs had expressed its readiness to carry out the court order.

However, due to the judgment, members of the Gboleru ruling house on Sunday staged a town wide protest in Ikirun to press home their right to the throne in conformity with the Chieftaincy law.

See also  Olumide Akpata Emerges NBA President, Pledges Transformational leadership
Continue Reading

JUDICIARY

Court Slams N3.5m Bail on Alleged Fake Estate Agent for raud

Published

on

Share

A Surulere Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday  granted bail in the sum of  N3.5 million to an alleged fake estate agent, Sodiq Tajudeen.

Tajudeen, 53, was alleged to have defrauded six accommodation seekers of a total of N6.

6 million.

The Magistrate, Mrs Sadiq Bello, who granted bail to Tajudeen after he pleaded not guilty, ordered him to produce two sureties in like sum.

Bello said that one of the sureties must be a relative of the defendant.

She adjourned the case until Dec. 2 for mention.

Tajudeen, a resident of No. 27, Akinkunmi St., Itire, Surulere, Lagos, is being tried for  obtaining money by false pretences and stealing.

Earlier, the prosecutor, Insp Courage Ekhueorohan, told the court that the defendant committed the offences on July 13, at No. 29, Akinkumi St., Itire, Surulere.

Ekhueorohan alleged that Tajudeen, who was supervising a building  under construction, deceived six accommodation seekers into believing that he was an estate agent.

“Tajudeen, between June and Sept. 30, fraudulently obtained the sum of N6.6 million from six accommodation seekers,” he said.

The prosecutor said that Tajudeen was arrested when the owner of the house he was supervising discovered that all the flats in the house had been rented out.

See also  Employees Appear in Court Over Damaging, Stealing

According to Ekhueorohan, the offences contravene Sections 287 (1) and 314 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015.

The Section 287 prescribes three years’ jail term for stealing, while Section  314 provides for 15 years’ imprisonment for obtaining by false pretenses.  (NAN)

Continue Reading

JUDICIARY

EXCLUSIVE: Documents Expose Kogi Government for N20billion Workers’ Salaries

Published

on

Share

EFCC confirmed that the CBN acknowledged the receipt of the sum of N19,333,333,333 recovered by the commission from the Kogi State Salary Bail-out account.

Documents from the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission and the Central Bank of Nigeria has confirmed how the Kogi State Government led by Governor Yahaya Bello stole and hid about N20 billion meant for workers’ salaries in a secret bank account.

Reporters obtained the Court Order which ordered that the money should be refunded to the Central Bank of Nigeria by Sterling Bank where the state government secretly stashed the money.

The court order reads, “It is hereby ordered as follows; that the Account upon which this Suit was instituted was frozen by an order of this honourable court. That the management of the Sterling bank Plc, whose account no, 0073572696 with the name Kogi State Salary Bail Out Account is domiciled has clarified the questions resulting to the commencement of this suit.

“That the management of Sterling Bank has since acknowledged the existence of the said account in their book but claimed same was a mirror account. That it is expedient for the suit to be discontinued and the account unfrozen to enable the transfer and return of the sum to the coffers of the CBN where the said bailout fund was disbursed.” The correspondence between the EFCC and the bank where the commission wrote to the bank’s Managing Director in a letter dated October 21, asking the bank to unfreeze the controversial bank account to enable the money to be transferred back to the CBN’s coffers.

See also  Olumide Akpata Emerges NBA President, Pledges Transformational leadership

“Reference to our letter dated September 21, 2021, and pursuant to an order of the Federal High Court Ikoyi, Lagos State, directing the unfreezing of the above mentioned account to enable the bank transfer the balance to the CBN, coy of the order is herewith attached for ease of reference,” the Zonal Commander, EFCC, Ahmed Ghali said.

Reporters obtained another letter in which the CBN confirmed the receipt of the money in a correspondence to the EFCC chairman, Abdulrasheed Bawa, and signed by the Director, Development Finance Department.

 “We refer to your letter dated November 5, 2021 and wish to confirm the details of the receipt of the amount as stated below” the CBN said in the document.

SaharaReporters had on Saturday reported that the EFCC confirmed that the CBN acknowledged the receipt of the sum of N19,333,333,333 recovered by the commission from the Kogi State Salary Bail-out account.

SaharaReporters had in various reports stated that the controversial N20 billion – meant for workers’ salaries in the state – was stashed away in a commercial bank account by the state government led by Bello.

According to a release by the EFCC obtained by SaharaReporters on Friday, the agency said the CBN had recovered the money hidden by the Bello administration into its vaults.

The EFCC had said, “The Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN, has acknowledged the receipt of the sum of N19, 333,333,333.36 (Nineteen Billion, Three Hundred and Thirty-three Million, Three Hundred and Thirty-three Thousand, Three Hundred and Thirty-three Naira, Thirty-six Kobo) recovered the EFCC from the Kogi State Salary Bail-out account domiciled in Sterling Bank Plc.

See also  Court Sentences Man to Death for Killing Own Father

“This effectively puts to rest the campaign of misinformation and unconscionable denials by the Kogi State Government that no fund was recovered from its bail out account. The apex bank in a letter referenced, DFD/DIR/CON/EXT/01/099 and dated 9th November, 2021 informed the Executive Chairman, EFCC, Abdulrasheed Bawa that it has received the money.

“The letter reads in part: ‘We refer to your letter dated November 5, 2021 with Ref. No: CR:3000/EFCC/LS/CMU/REC-STE/VOL.4/047 on the above subject and wish to confirm the details of the receipt of the amount as stated below: Bank: Sterling Bank Plc; Amount: N19, 333, 333,333.36; Date of receipt: 04 November, 2021.’

“The return of the money to the apex bank is in compliance with the October 15, 2021 Order of a Federal High Court sitting in Ikoyi Lagos directing the unfreezing of the Kogi State Salary Bail-out account to enable Sterling Bank to remit the balance in the account to the Central Ban of Nigeria. Justice Chukwujekwu Aneke gave the Order pursuant to an application filed by the EFCC.

“The Commission had told the court that the management of Sterling Bank Plc, where the account was domiciled had acknowledged the existence of the said account with the staggering sum of N19, 333,333,333.36 in its books.

“The Commission further brought to the attention of the court that ‘The sum of N19, 333,333,333.36 is still standing in the credit of the account frozen’, adding that “the management of Sterling Bank PIc, has, pursuant to a letter dated 15 September, 2021, signed by its Managing Director, indicated intention to return the total sum of N19, 333,333,333.36 back to the Central Bank of Nigeria.”

See also  Alleged N714.6m Fraud: Former Minister, Turaki Gave me only N200 million - Witness

The release by EFCC Spokesman, Wilson Uwujaren, added, “The EFCC had prayed The court that it “is expedient for the instant suit to be discontinued and the account unfrozen to enable the management of Sterling Bank PIc effect the transfer/ return of the sum of the sum of N19, 333, 333, 333.36 back to the coffer of the Central Bank of Nigeria, where the said bailout funds was disbursed.”

“The transfer has put paid to any further controversy regarding source and ownership of the funds and most importantly, aborted the funds dissipation. On August 31, 2021, Justice Tijani Garba Ringim, a vacation Judge, had ordered the freezing of the account, following an ex-parte application filed by the EFCC.

“The EFCC, in a 13-paragraph affidavit in support of the ex-parte application, had stated that it received a credible and direct intelligence, which led to the tracing of the funds reasonably suspected to be proceeds of unlawful activities in account No. 0073572696 domiciled in Sterling Bank, Plc with the name Kogi State Salary Bailout Account.

“After listening to the EFCC application, Justice Ringim on August 31, 2021, ordered the freezing of the account and directed the publication of the order in a national newspaper by the EFCC.”SR

Continue Reading

Translate

Email Subscription

Name *

Email *

Top Stories

NEWS22 hours ago

NYSC DG Bags Award of Excellence from Alma Mater

Share Post Views: 42 By Evelyn Terseer, Abuja The NYSC Director General, Brigadier General Shuaibu Ibrahim has been presented an Award...

Foreign News22 hours ago

China Takes Over Ugandan Airport, Other Country’s Assets Over $207million Loan Deal

Share Post Views: 32 This came despite reports that President Yoweri Museveni had sent a delegation to Beijing for a...

POLITICS22 hours ago

Tinubu Visited me to Seek Support for Presidential Ambition – Yakasai

Share Post Views: 34 A founding member of the Arewa Consultative Forum and elder statesman, Alhaji Tanko Yakasai, has revealed...

DEFENCE22 hours ago

APC Condemns Plateau Community Attack, Urges Apprehension of Perpetrators

Share Post Views: 28 APC  Chairman  in Plateau, Mr Rufus Bature has condemned the renewed cycle of attacks on unsuspecting...

Metro23 hours ago

Association Raises Concerns over Killing of Alleged Pirates in Nigeria by Danish Military Personnel

Share Post Views: 51 The Nigerian Maritime Law Association (NMLA) on Saturday in Lagos expressed concerns about the killing of...

Metro23 hours ago

FG Lifts Suspension on Emirates Airline

Share Post Views: 61 The Federal Government has lifted the ban it placed on Emirates Airline from flying into Nigeria...

SPORTS23 hours ago

ITF World Tennis Tour: Nigeria’s Abdulsalam Out in Quarter Finals, South Africa Crowie for Semi Finals

Share Post Views: 49 South African Daniel Crowie, on Friday defeated  Muhammad Abdulsalam of Nigeria 6-4, 6-1 to qualify for...

NEWS23 hours ago

FG Set to Unveil Service Delivery Charter To the Public

Share Post Views: 37 By Tony Obiechina, Abuja The Minister of State for Finance, Budget and National Planning, Prince Clem...

Education23 hours ago

Oyo Govt. Suspends 3 Over Alleged Sexual Harassment in School

Share Post Views: 44 The Oyo State Government has suspended three staff members of the Oyo State Basic School, Ogbomoso,...

NEWS1 day ago

Please Release Kanu, Bianca Ojukwu Begs Buhari

Share Post Views: 38 Former Nigerian Ambassador to Spain, Mrs Bianca Ojukwu, has pleaded with President Muhammadu Buhari to release...

Copyright © 2021 Daily Asset Limited | Powered by ObajeSoft Inc